What news sources does everyone here trust?

For the first time in 20 years I will no longer be getting newspapers delivered to me every morning. Thus I am looking for a trusted news site online. So, where do nerdfighters get their news?

Comments

• ArkantosArkantos Atlanta, GeorgiaPosts: 14
    If I'm looking for the liberal echo-chamber, I go to nbcnews.com or the Huffington post. If I want unbiased coverage of American news or news in general, I go straight to the BBC. If I want an aggregate of a lot of every topic, I got to realclearpolitics.com or one of their affiliated sites.
  • Geek13Geek13 Tri Cities, WAPosts: 27
    Huffington Post and ThinkProgress. They're a bit liberal but I trust them.
  • nogoodaliasnogoodalias CanadaPosts: 7
    The more sources for news you have the better. Being Canadian, I'm partial to the CBC, The Globe and Mail, and the BBC and largely distrustful of American news. That being said, CNN and NBC news are the better options if you're of the American persuasion. Smaller, online-based news groups like VICE and Huffington Post are also interesting and often worth taking a look at. There's also the YouTube news scene with the Phillip Defranco Show and SourceFed, but I'd consider them more entertainment than news. 

Hope this helps! 
  • tallontallon CincinnatiPosts: 12
    edited July 2013
    Generally, I find the BBC maintains the best standard of straight up journalism among the larger networks, though some of their science titles could use less sensationalism.

Even if I had a TV, I probably wouldn't watch the TV network news, I prefer reading, though this is more of a personal reason. I do feel that reading will flash less on the spot imaging at you though.

Huffpost... annoys me because a lot of their writers write like blogs (and there's quite a lot of opining that comes with that). They can have good articles though. Has a tendency to write on liberal topics, and its userbase skews very liberal.

Forbes can work, but has the same problem as Huffpost, often having blog like or straight up blog content that looks like news.

The Wall Street Journal Is sorta the opposing side (read conservative) of Huffpost, plus is has paywalls a lot, so that irks me.

The Washington Post isn't bad. Not great. Haven't identified and continual bias, but each writer is making his or her own narrative. Which is true for all news really.

Dailymail... please just don't.

For ANY political news, I typically run a pass by both Factcheck.org and Politifact.com, and sometimes Snopes. I prefer Factcheck's method of presentation (i.e. no meters or gimmicks, just analysis), but Politifact covers more ground. The Washington Post has some fact checkers too, they're somewhat ehh though.

Ars Techinica for technology news, if you're into that. Wired tends to get a bit sensational, but I read it every once in awhile.

Utimately (Or TL;DR for those inclined): I'd advise people to get news from lots of different places, as that's really the only way to overcome biases. It can be annoying work sometimes, which is a bit sad, but the way of the world, I suppose.

All of the above is based on my experience though, so it may be skewed by my own biases.

Of course you could just go surreal sarcasm and read the Onion...
    by tallon
  • TheBubblerumTheBubblerum Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do agree the more sources the better. 
  • lovelikeangelslovelikeangels ValyriaPosts: 276 ✭✭✭
    in terms of reading news articles, i read Huffington Post only because it's what AOL links me to all the time and yes, i still use my AOL email address. 

TV wise, since i have gotten cable in my house, i haven't watched the news and therefore have become a blissfully ignorant american. BUT, i occasionally watch NBC or HLN.
    If you are plagued by externals, it is not they who trouble you, but the importance you give them.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • MattTheRickerMattTheRicker Posts: 27

For online stuff, I generally prefer NPR or Politico. Both are relatively unbiased, though Politico can be a bit wonky.

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭
    As a source of news (both broadcasts and as a website), I probably trust the BBC more than I should, but I will occasionally read The Guardian, The Independent, and The Huffington Post in their online forms. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• EnomalousEnomalous Chicago, IllinoisPosts: 18
    Look for non-American news sources as well. They tend to cover more and tell you about whats going on in America from a different perspective. I personally go for CTV and BBC as my primary non-American news sources.
    Through the internet we live forever

• KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Unfortunately, most of the papers write what they've told. Resources on the net are more trusting, as I feel it, but also too influenced by their ideologies. What I do is to compare news from different sites and try to pinpoint what they've got in common.
  • pasanovpasanov LiverpoolPosts: 3
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Al-Jazeera, especially considering the amount of news coming from Middle East and their reputation for good reporting.

Also, hi everyone. :)
  • Gringotts_713Gringotts_713 Posts: 10

I agree always look at multiple sources. Journalism is a business and the first job of any business is to maintain financing, if reporting something hurts that agency it will be biased or buried. However by searching multiple sources you can get a clearer picture. I actually use Google news because their feed allows you to select a topic then grab every headline with the topic. You get enough agencies or sites reporting that you can see the larger picture. So as an example being a Potter Nerd, I have Dan Radcliff as one of my alerts, I get wonky sites like TMZ and E! but I also get BBC, The Leaky Cauldron, and Times reported whenever his name comes up. You can set as many topics as you like, as well as breaking news. When I select politics I get news across all parties and from multiple sources.The BBC is good, but can lag on breaking news and will not have local news so that's a downside.

• Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I don't really trust any of the US sources. CNN.com is usually okay with reporting the facts, but I try to stay away from the commentary on there, as it's usually pretty low-grade. Same goes for the New York Times, although there at least the editorials are a bit better.
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Drudge report, Al Jazeera, Vice, and SOFREP.  I watch zero TV.  I trust Washington Post, New York times, and WSJ more than other sources but not entirely.
    by McEsteban
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Western United States Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    Look at all news sources.

I go to govtrack.us for legislative news, and C-SPAN for raw footage of politics and whatnot. Not really traditional news sources, but they take you straight to the point. 

As for traditional news, I'm satisfied with what's been said. Look through a site, and sift through the bias. Just make sure to be well-informed. 

We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

• GeorgeTheWildGeorgeTheWild Posts: 10
    I have a fairly long commute to work (30 min) so I get all my news from public radio (NPR, PRI, PRX) or the BBC world news depending on what time I'm listening.

I like the public radio model because it mostly promotes unbiased reporting.  They always interview both sides of a story, and their reporters are mostly reporting/interviewing rather than providing opinion on an event.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    The BBC, the ABC, Xinhua, Deutche Welle, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Australia, SBS, NHK, Le Monde and maybe News.com.au (which is The Daily Telegraph and The Herald-Sun).

The Independent is fun to read and the Daily Mail's website is totally different to the physical newspaper. Also "The Saturday Paper" is only a fortnight onld; so we'll see how that goes.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    I also like public radio stations. I am aware that they can be biased (in a progressive sense), but they generally provide accurate news, and are not influenced by financial incentive. 
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

As someone who lives in the green bits of Not America, I can safely say that the output of NPR that we get is of quality comparable to that of the ABC, the BBC or DW. 
    All Things Considered, Planet Money and Morning Edition are excellent

During the 2012 Presidential chase when Romney threatened to defund PBS and NPR, he personally sent a message that he thought that America's reputation overseas was worthless. Had he succeeded, that single act would have done a tremendous amount in  trashing Brand America in the green bits of Not America.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

Rollo said:
    As someone who lives in the green bits of Not America, I can safely say that the output of NPR that we get is of quality comparable to that of the ABC, the BBC or DW. 
    All Things Considered, Planet Money and Morning Edition are excellent

During the 2012 Presidential chase when Romney threatened to defund PBS and NPR, he personally sent a message that he thought that America's reputation overseas was worthless. Had he succeeded, that single act would have done a tremendous amount in  trashing Brand America in the green bits of Not America.
    I second that. Public broadcasting in general is excellent quality, especially with news and education. PBS is one of the few TV channels I take a liking to. 

• makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    For TV: Jon Stewart!! :P All jokes aside, he is the most hard hitting journalist on TV. And that's pathetic.

Online, either BBC or Huffpost. I get why people dislike the latter, but as a pretty liberal person, I can put up with the bias.

It's pretty much impossible to find an unbiased American news site. That's why I use BBC, because they simply don't care about American politics, and therefore report it how it is.
    by makeitagoodone
    “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton
  • The_BurninatorThe_Burninator New JerseyPosts: 104 ✭✭
    DemocracyNow. They have a daily headlines update on youtube, and they tend to be quite reliable.

To those of you commenting about NBC and the like -- All the mainstream news hours (be then NBC or Fox) tend to be further "right" than most people, by national poll results.
  • cazortcazort Jenkintown, PAPosts: 194 ✭✭✭
    I love the Christian Science Monitor.  Don't be scared off by the name; it's just a newspaper; it's affiliated with Christian Science, not with mainstream Christianity.  Just about the only topic where I'd stay away because of bias is healthcare and medicine, but they don't seem to cover this topic very heavily so it's not a big deal.  It's my favorite US-based news source.

I also love Al Jazeera.  It's the most respected independent news source in the Arab world...full of a wide range of perspectives, often offering perspectives you won't find in US-based media outlets.
    Find me on: YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Cazort.net (my website) | Wizzley
  • ScrappyDooScrappyDoo Annapolis, MDPosts: 1,067 ✭✭✭
    Recently I've been shocked by how deceptive Huffpost has been. So either they've changed or I'm more willing to fact check them now but they've bordered on straight up lying about some of these SCOTUS decisions.
  • conformconform gay city, usaPosts: 24
    none!!!!!!  to think that any single news outlet could possibly lack bias or agenda is itself a laughably ideological notion.  the closest you can get to pure, factual reporting (whatever that means) is to compare a variety of sources, but very frequently the conclusions that method breeds, if you're sincerely mathematical about it, are further from the truth than those any one biased outlet could feed you.  i read the nyt (mostly because i like the writing) when i can get my hands on a physical copy, and follow a variety of postliberal and liberal catholic publications for usually tertiary-source reports.  i say: pick an ideological bent and stick with it; the less already-steeped in it you are, the better.
  • cazortcazort Jenkintown, PAPosts: 194 ✭✭✭
    @ScrappyDoo Agreed on Huffpost...I started getting more suspicious of them when I learned that they tested out headlines and picked them to maximize click-through-rate.  That raises ethical concerns for me...because far more people read headlines than read the articles, I think maximizing click-through-rate (rather than maximizing truthfulness or accuracy) makes the news source a way to spread misinformation through sensationalism...through making the headlines sound more controversial, exaggerated, etc.

I think this can have an effect of like, encouraging more extremist thinking in society at large, because there are all these more extreme "facts" floating around there, not true facts but just things people think are facts because they saw them in a headline...and because the number of people just seeing the headline will always be WAAAAY greater than the number of people who read the article and actually realized that the headline wasn't accurate, the untruth then propagates through society.
    Find me on: YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Cazort.net (my website) | Wizzley
    NPR, local news, and various newspapers (both print and online). 

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭
    I talk to people on forums and hear stuff from my dad, thats the only two really reliable sources I have.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
    I talk to people on forums and hear stuff from my dad, thats the only two really reliable sources I have.
    So in other words, none at all then.

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭
    Rollo said:
    So in other words, none at all then.

Learning stuff by word of mouth is the best way, I always talk to more than one person about it so that I can see different views of people actually affected by whats going on. My dad talks to people in other countries about stuff so they end up talking about whats going on there. I expose myself to people in as many places as I can so that I can understand what is going on in those places. If the people who see it everyday aren't relieable sources then what is.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace