What news sources does everyone here trust?

2»

Comments

• ScrappyDooScrappyDoo Annapolis, MDPosts: 1,067 ✭✭✭
    Rollo said:
    I talk to people on forums and hear stuff from my dad, thats the only two really reliable sources I have.
    So in other words, none at all then.

Learning stuff by word of mouth is the best way, I always talk to more than one person about it so that I can see different views of people actually affected by whats going on. My dad talks to people in other countries about stuff so they end up talking about whats going on there. I expose myself to people in as many places as I can so that I can understand what is going on in those places. If the people who see it everyday aren't relieable sources then what is.
    I can't begin to explain how much I disagree with this. You're completely at the whims of what your peers or associates want to say. Not to mention just because I'm american doesn't mean I can provide any relevant insight into what congress is doing or what the newest Pentagon UCMJ changes will mean. Presence does not equate to insight or an informed understanding.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,889 ✭✭✭
    ScrappyDoo said:I can't begin to explain how much I disagree with this. You're completely at the whims of what your peers or associates want to say. 
    I don't think you understood the weight of what was being said:
    My dad talks to people in other countries about stuff so they end up talking about whats going on there. I expose myself to people in as many places as I can so that I can understand what is going on in those places. If the people who see it everyday aren't relieable sources then what is.
    Clearly this person thinks that his dad and the people within his immediate social  networks are more "relieable" (sic.) than commercial and professional news gathering organisations; even those which might date back for more than 200 years.
    I defend him in his value judgement; even though like you, I think that it makes slightly less sense than placing a custard tart on top of the 115 bus to East Ham and asking its opinions on the merits of the new President of Indonesia Joko Widodo.

Each to their own I suppose.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I think that it makes slightly less sense than placing a custard tart on top of the 115 bus to East Ham and asking its opinions on the merits of the new President of Indonesia Joko Widodo.
    I knew I wasn't the only one...
  • ElrondtheGreyElrondtheGrey Fort Collins, ColoradoPosts: 31
    I'd have to go with Opposing Viewpoints in Context from Gale Cengage Learning. Given that you have some background knowledge on the subject in question and an account it has articles on any particular subject from both viewpoints instead of just one. Check your school's website if you're still in middle school-college, your school may have an account under Media Center or Databases.
  • ForestForest Posts: 1
    I read all the news, the top ones: The Guardian, NPR (including KPCC, WBEZ, WNYC), Boing Boing, Daily Dot, and Jacobin.
  • PresidentJokoPresidentJoko Seattle, WashingtonPosts: 23
    A few of the newspapers I frequent:

1) Associated Press
    2) BBC World
    3) Al-Jazeera America
    4) Politico
    5) The Hill
    6) NPR
    7) TIME
    9) The Washington Post
    10) PBS Newshour

While all sources have some degree of bias, I support this list for accurate reporting.
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it really counts as a "news source," but I've been watching the Frontline documentaries on PBS and I have to say, they seem very objective and thorough. Definitely recommended if you want to know about the Middle East and US foreign affairs, especially.
  • gfightergfighter Posts: 4
    Why would you ever trust a news source? (there's always bias, bias everywhere!)
    Of course, I do turn to and generally accept (but not blindly) the sources which agree with my biases, if that's what you mean by trust, (in my case that's socially liberal, economically conservative, intelligent analysis) - PBS (Newshour has great analysis), Washington Post, NY Times, Bloomberg, Vox (great analysis, check out their Youtube channel), Politico, BBC and MSNBC. Also I live in Australia, but I couldn't care less about Australian News from ABC (not the American ABC) on the latest murder, child sex offender, Aboriginal land dispute or parking problem (except for Aus politics, but they still have less analysis (and rhetoric) than American politics just because we're a smaller country).
  • AkinaAkina Posts: 50

DemocracyNow. They have a daily headlines update on youtube, and they tend to be quite reliable.

To those of you commenting about NBC and the like -- All the mainstream news hours (be then NBC or Fox) tend to be further "right" than most people, by national poll results.

I've particularly appreciated how Amy Goodman from Democracy Now was able to report and show very convincing evidence of DAPL's attacks on peaceful protestors... though you can tell that the camera was trying to avoid recording any minor displays of Native aggression (but given the state of propaganda these days - I can't blame them for not wanting to give oligarch propos more ammunition just because we humans sometimes lack the discipline to allow a dog to bite us repeatedly without fighting back).

I've found for particular events like direct actions and such, especially if there is controversy or inconsistent reporting about what happened... I use youtube and other online video to amalgamate as many different perspectives as possible (multiple cameras) of the same event.

Unicorn Riot has been particularly helpful when trying to stay informed on actions concerning the DAPL project, including livestreams of direct actions.
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 WisconsinPosts: 36
    edited February 17

Also, http://www.allsides.com/ is a good way to look for feed from different sources
    by snowflake1814
    Memento mori
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭
    The whole thing about "fake news" don't trust what Trump says. Any source that saying anything bad about him or his staff he refers to as fake news but it's not fake, that's real news. Ironically the sources he sites as legitimate are known to have fake information. Wiki Leaks for example Trump sites as a legitimate news source but Wiki is known to be one of the least trusted sources on the internet because anyone with a computer can edit their information. They do have a staff that tries to keep out fake information but they can't possibly catch everything. They even tell you that anything you read on any wiki page should be taken with a grain of salt because anyone can edit any wiki page at any time and write misinformation that they made up.

That's basically like trusting news from the National Inquisitor I think it's called. I might be mixing it up with another one. But it's the news paper and magazine that posts stories about aliens, ghost, big foot, and other supernatural claims with known to be edited photos and false information. The stories are printed to resemble real news but they're intended as a joke and everyone knows that. Even people that believe in the supernatural know those stories aren't true.

Basically if you hear about something on TV it's real news regardless of how some people try to discredit certain stations... except for the 700 Club because that show is openly a Christian News broadcast, they flat out tell you that every freaking five minutes. And half their broadcast isn't even news it's them begging viewers to send them money.

On the internet it's not that simple. Basically you need to have multiple sources all showing the same information to confirm if anything is true or not. There's always that chance that any web site could be hacked and changed to include false information. Unless you have multiple sources all confirming the same story you can't really tell what's real and what's fake. Even then some times a story you thought was true turns out to be fake.

I remember back in the 90's all the web sites reporting on the fake story of how to catch Mew in Pok'emon Red, Blue, and Yellow. Even today some people are still trying to claim it's real even after it was revealed to be a hoax. The only real way to get Mew was by using a Game Shark cheat code. Cause I had Pok'emon Red and I tried every method online at that time and the Game Shark code was the only one that actually worked. There was also an event to get him legitimately without cheating but that was only held in one city in the U.S. and I didn't have the opportunity to attend that event... plus I didn't even know about it back then. Conventions weren't really as well known back then as they are today unless you happen to live near locations where that stuff was happening.

Just to give an example the first BotCon was in 1999. The first time I ever heard of BotCon was 2006. We knew about Star Trek conventions back in the 90's cause that was happening only a few miles away. Not the same city we live in but close enough that we could drive there. My dad wanted to go but tickets were expensive. BotCon is a Transformers convention and I was talking about something like that back then not even knowing that it was already a thing. I never imagined they would have convention only exclusive toys though... and the last BotCon was last year so now I never get to go to one... and I'll probably never own one of those BotCon figures. Though I also thought I'd never own a Takara figure because Japanese imports are generally too expensive for me to get in the U.S. but now I have one... mostly because I was willing to get one that was loose and incomplete. (Missing his original weapon and no stickers.) So all I need to do to get a BotCon exclusive figure is find someone willing to sell me a loose incomplete figure at a cheaper cost...
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!