What is the best book that you had to read for school?

HawthornChaserHawthornChaser Western New YorkPosts: 9
I don't think this discussion exists yet.
My favorite would be The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, but I probably would have read that one on my own anyway.
The best play I had to read (and yes, there were several) would have to be The Crucible. I'm a sucker for a crazy female character.
How about you guys?
I'm Alison!
I'm a proud Ravenclaw!
My favorite companion is Rory!
My desktop background is Bradley James!

Comments

• MarcellaMarcella Yeah The NetherlandsPosts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I haven't read that many books for school, but I'd say Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. It was a bit too long and the main character got on my nerves a lot, but I'm happy I read it.
    "If the kids don't believe, make them believe."

- Alex Gaskarth
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭
    Well I had to read the first Harry Potter, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Holes, and there was one other book that I can't remember the name of... It was about a kid who was rather big for his age who was best friends with a smaller kid who was crippled in a wheel chair. There were probably others as well but I can't remember them that well. We were actually learning about how movies normally don't follow the books so after reading each of these books we also watched the movie versions in class. Well not all of them had movies at that time. Harry Potter and Holes hadn't actually be released yet. I think there were already trailers for Harry Potter at the time but Holes getting a movie was just rumored, they didn't even have a script yet. All the other ones including the one I can't remember the title of had movies though and I think Matilda had just been released the year before. I'd have to actually go look up when these movies came out and also try to remember exactly what grade I was in at the time. I know it was 6th, 7th, or 8th because I can remember what teacher I had at the time but I had her for all 3 years so I have no clue when it actually was.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • SairooSairoo Posts: 46
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Hands down the best book I've read for school and it's still one of my favourite books of all time. I'm thinking of reading it again one day when I've managed to read all the books on my evergrowing booklist ^^
  • KatOxymoronicKatOxymoronic Calgary, AB, CanadaPosts: 23
    I am in grade 11 this year and for my summer reading we have the pleasure of reading the graphic novel by Art Spiegelman, Maus. This series of graphic novels follows the Holocaust while casting the Jewish population as mice and the Nazis as cats. Both the art style and the story reel the reader in and I found it to be one of the best novels, graphic or not, that I have ever needed to read.
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    The best book I had to read K-12 would probably be The Great Gatsby. Or maybe The Crucible. Julius Caesar would have to be considered too.

The best book I've had to read for college so far is a book called Wolf Whistle by Lewis Nordan. Highly recommended. 
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • OlleOlle Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    I am in grade 11 this year and for my summer reading we have the pleasure of reading the graphic novel by Art Spiegelman, Maus. This series of graphic novels follows the Holocaust while casting the Jewish population as mice and the Nazis as cats. Both the art style and the story reel the reader in and I found it to be one of the best novels, graphic or not, that I have ever needed to read.
    Maus is excellent. My girlfriend lent me the first volume last year; I've yet to read any more of it, though.

My favorite coursebook is probably my copy of Evolutionary Analysis. =P If we're only dealing in fiction, I'm going to have to think about that. High school was a long time ago, and for some reason I can mainly remember the reading assignments that annoyed me, like The Great Gatsby or Anthills of the Savannah.
    Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • runaruna Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Aha.  ha.  ha.  What does it say about me that I have to go all the way back to the fourth grade, when we read The Landry News by Andrew Clements?  

I really despise the stuff they make you read at school.  Passionately.  
  • lovelikeangelslovelikeangels ValyriaPosts: 276 ✭✭✭
    it was probably either Animal Farm by George Orwell, which at first i hated because i was like PIZZZAA READING BOOKS FOR SCHOOL THEY'RE ALWAYS PIZZZAA but then as i was reading it i was like oh PIZZZAA, this is good.

OR, Candide by Voltaire, which i had read the summer before freshman year started when i PIZZZAA up my ankle and then had to read 4 years later in AP English. i still think it's hilarious.

oh, also The Catcher in the Rye. i remember feeling pessimistic about having to read this book because eveyone always complained about it after, but it made me laugh out loud. a lot.
    If you are plagued by externals, it is not they who trouble you, but the importance you give them.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • dancingmadsdancingmads DelawarePosts: 5
    I had to read The Hunger Games for school in 7th grade, does that count? <3
  • DucomorsDucomors Posts: 55
    hands down no contest ender's game

LOVED IT such a good book. it seems a bit cruel but it blew my mind.
  • GoingtothebeatGoingtothebeat Posts: 17
    Of Mice and Men as part of our final year, up until then we had read exclusively Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet (for 5 years straight!!) or poetry anthologies. so we were all surprised that we where given a book that was enjoyable.
    I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted.
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I had to read the first Harry Potter, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Holes, and there was one other book that I can't remember the name of... It was about a kid who was rather big for his age who was best friends with a smaller kid who was crippled in a wheel chair. 
    I think you mean Freak the Mighty. I read that as well in about Year 7. It's good, but I've read better (and worse).
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• JuliaHellStormJuliaHellStorm SwedenPosts: 4
    The Giver.. Hands down one of my absolute favorites.
    hi
    Vicki said:
    Well I had to read the first Harry Potter, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Holes, and there was one other book that I can't remember the name of... It was about a kid who was rather big for his age who was best friends with a smaller kid who was crippled in a wheel chair. 
    I think you mean Freak the Mighty. I read that as well in about Year 7. It's good, but I've read better (and worse).
    Yes, that's the one, thanks. I could not remember the title of that book. Glad someone knew what I was talking about.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • fishlifefishlife Victoria, BC, CanadaPosts: 12
    for a book, Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, and for a play, Arcadia by Tom Stoppard.
    fishlife said:
    for a book, Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev, and for a play, Arcadia by Tom Stoppard.
    Plays aren't meant to be read like a book...
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    The Book Thief! I read it in Year 11 and it has been my favourite book ever since. Also Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden - I ended up buying and reading the entire series and spin-off series, and emailed the author telling him how much I loved the books. He replied and started talking about slugs. It was a pretty sweet moment. But off topic!

I also loved Of Mice and Men and Frankenstein. And I loved a lot of the plays we read too, my favourites being An Ideal Husband (I just love Oscar Wilde so much, he was freaking awesome, what a swell dandy!) and A Doll's House. Oh, and Cloudstreet! I almost forgot. Cloudstreet was quite honestly the absolute most difficult book I have ever read in my entire life, it took months to get through it, but in the end I actually cried because it was finished. It's hard to explain; basically you spend twenty long years with these two families and then it just ends and you're left on your own without the Pickles' and the Lambs' and I'm getting off topic again so I'm gonna stop right there :P
    by ashsayshello
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    fishlife said:
    Plays aren't meant to be read like a book...
    Despite that, I think the best thing I ever read for school was probably An Inspector Calls (by J. B. Priestly) in Year 11. If that doesn't count, then The Magicians Nephew (the Narnia prequel) back in Year 5. I've really liked quite a few books that I didn't have to read for school personally, but friends/siblings did. Namely To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Flies.

EDIT: For reasons that never made much sense, we had to read Animal Farm for year 9 history class. And that was probably better than The Magicians Nephew. I just didn't think it would count, because we didn't read it for English class, so we didn't really write essays on it, or analyse it in the same sort of way. 
    by Vicki
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• applepi92applepi92 Posts: 2
    Hands down it has to be The Hound of the Baskervilles which I had to read Freshmen year in high school.  It started my love of Sherlock Holmes.  For college I don't have that much reading, but Freshmen year I had to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime which I also read sophomore year of high school.  Its told through the eyes of a 16 year old boy with autism, as he tries to solve the mystery of why his neighbor's dog turned up dead with a pitchfork through it.  I think its a fun light read, that really opens your eyes to the perspectives of others.  Also the boy is from Swindon, which is way funnier after John started doing his Swoodlypooper videos.
  • jKellspaceyjKellspacey Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    My favourite book that I read in high school was The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding, which I read in my senior year in high school. It was interesting to see the deconstruction and reconstruction of society and moral values. 

Though plays are not intended to be read, or be considered the same as novels, other people are discussing them here, so I will include my favourite play as well. My favourite play, also read in my senior year, is Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. The final scene of this play is just hilarious, with line after line of sarcastic jokes that made me laugh out loud. No, seriously. When we were reading it out loud in class, I was dying of laughter, and everyone else in the class was looking at me like I was insane. I guess they just didn't get the humour, or the language, or something.
    by jKellspacey

It goes 'ding' when there's stuff! 

• caranlindecaranlinde Idaho, USA Posts: 7
    My favorite book was The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. It's funny that I really liked it because I am not normally a person that gets really into classics unless they are fantasy type classics like LotR or The three Musketeers which I read outside of class and loved.  
    Mostly I think I liked it because I had a really great teacher who knew how to make the book exciting, so maybe if I'd had more teachers like him I would have liked more classics.
  • LimpingImpLimpingImp Posts: 6
    1984. Something about George Orwell's writing piques my interest so much. The book bored most of my classmates but I was captivated by it.

I also liked Anthem by Ayn Rand. I thought it had a cool concept and I enjoyed reading it a lot.
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    i loved Maus and have read it many times. i lve the way art spiegelman uses different animals for the different culutures/religions/nationalities.
    The best book i have probably read in school was "the nature of the beast" by janni howker. It was really interesting!

• mdel45mdel45 CanadaPosts: 6
    My favourite is definetly To Kill a Mockingbird! So great!
    Joss is Boss...
  • ashimmer13ashimmer13 Seattle, WA, USAPosts: 109 ✭✭
    I'm with @Lavache_Beadsman on The Great Gatsby for K-12 being my favorite. I often revisit the copy I read from in grade 11 to get all kinds of nerdy over the notes that are still in it and remembering the discussions in class and beyond since then.  It's such a wonderful and important book. 

After high school though, is a really hard question though because I studied English as an undergraduate and Library and Information Science in grad school... 

But I am really excited to see that in grade 11 you, @KatOxymoronic, are reading Maus! I absolutely love Maus and as a librarian, I think it is incredibly important. I love graphic novels tackling difficult topics and situations. Sometimes they are the most effective way to address those topics and are a great introduction to those topics. 
    "Every artist was first an amateur." 
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "It is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible"
    -Henry Tilney, Chapter 22 of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey
  • digitalsleepdigitalsleep USAPosts: 73 ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Moby PIZZZAA. In high school they had this thing called Accelerated Reader where you have to read books, take tests on the computers on them, get graded and earn points. You had to have a specific amount of points by the end of the semester and it annoyed me greatly because books I typically wanted to read weren't worth very many points, causing me to have to speed through books and never actually, ya know, taking the time to ~enjoy~ them. I decided to start just reading books that were worth a bunch of points and Moby PIZZZAA was one of them. I loved Moby PIZZZAA. It was the only book I read specifically for tons of points that I loved. And, we ended up reading it for my Junior year of HS (I read it as a sophmore) and I just enjoyed the whole unit greatly.

EDIT: Word filter man. Mobydick, yo
    by digitalsleep
  • georgef61georgef61 FloridaPosts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

• rinnyrinny999rinnyrinny999 Somewhere in Colorado, United States of America, North America, Earth, The Solar System, etc.etc.Posts: 15
    I would say The Giver (4th year) and The Good Earth (8th) :3

"The key to sorting it all out is to understand it doesn't actually matter."-Dirk Strider
     (A textbook example of counter intuitiveness,ねえ? Also, Homestuck.) "私は私、それだけ."ーBad Apple (Literally translates to "I'm me, and that's all there is to it.  Pretty fitting for a signature.)

• MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I think it was in 11th grade, we were all given a big list of lesser known plays. We had to choose one and write a long paper analyzing it. I choose Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen only because I recognized Ibsen's name, and I knew some of the Edvard Grieg's music composed for it from when I was in symphony youth orchestra (seriously, check out the Peer Gynt Suite. It's amazing). I have to say, that play changed my life. It's pretty weird, but it's a roundabout story of an aimless man wandering the world trying to find himself. I never did such an in-depth analysis for a paper before that one. I wonder if I still have that paper...
    "The only way out is through." -Frost
  • clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    The best play I read for school was Othello, the best book was If This is a Man. I actually read quite a lot of really good books for school (Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, the Great Gatsby, Romeo and Juliet) which I can now appreciate but cannot stand actually reading even a little bit. Othello was OK after after doing it in English but If This is a Man managed to hold up completely and I liked it despite the butchering of English Class.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?