Board games!

IrishRock1987IrishRock1987 New MexicoPosts: 15
As I haven't seen one (didn't really search that hard.) what is everyone's favorite board game? I absolutely love Settlers of Catan and Munchkin.
*trying to think of a good signature.... failed*

Comments

• softlystarbirdsoftlystarbird Raleigh, NC, USAPosts: 16
    I love Catan! Though.... I've won the last two games I played with friends by using the same strategy (full on Ore/Grain) so I really want to get an extension/expansion. The game I could probably play forever and not get tired of it though is Smallworld just because of all the crazy races/ability combos. 
  • XenolillyXenolilly Posts: 44
    I like Apples to Apples. I guess I like it because of the fond memories it creates. It is funny to see how people define words.
  • MasterNeoMasterNeo Valley Stream, New YorkPosts: 9
    Cards Against Humanity as my adult game I enjoy. But family friendly my favorite game is monopoly with the "real" rules.
  • DbernDbern Posts: 6
    I would say Risk Legacy, Ticket to ride, or Shadow hunter. if you like card games (often linked with board games) I would check out Bang!, race for the galaxy, 7 wonders, or (if you are feeling a bit inappropriate in the best way) Cards against Humanity.
  • NevermoreNevermore Kraków,PolandPosts: 21
    Munchkin, Horror in Arkham, Talisman (though I'm not sure if those are their right names) and Game of Thrones board game. 
    Knock knock
  • OneWingedWannabeOneWingedWannabe Berkeley, CAPosts: 13
    Ah I enjoy Love Letter, Cards Against Humanity, and Pandemic if anyone has heard of it.
  • kodrakodra Posts: 36 ✭✭
    MasterNeo said:
    Cards Against Humanity as my adult game I enjoy. But family friendly my favorite game is monopoly with the "real" rules.
    Monopoly with the real rules, with a group of players who understand the optimal strategy provides a few incredibly tense moments of deal analysis and negotiation, it's just too bad that it takes so much time to get to those few great moments.

I played Computer Monopoly on a LAN at a summer job, and that made the games much more palatable.

Personally, my favorite games are (almost) anything by Vlaada Chvatil.  I love Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords, Through the Ages, Mage Knight, and Dungeon Petz.  The guy always seems to make games that suit my tastes.
  • Kathryn_PondKathryn_Pond CanadalandPosts: 55
    I really really love Small World! Playing with some close friends is great. Especially if you're all joking around, I remember once in a friend's basement I cried to try and get her to let me have the halflings.
    if we're being truthful it's Hope, not Pond.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Ahh man.  I don't think I can choose just one!  I love board and card games.  It depends on the day and my mood.  I enjoy strategy games most days, love trivia, and sometimes enjoy games that are pure luck and silliness. 
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Dbern said:
    I would say Risk Legacy.
    *SPOILERS*

Our two sea lanes went from Siberia to Brazil via Alien Island and connected Western Australia to Afghanistan via the Caspian sea, boring a hole through the earth and under India via a giant tunnel - there wasn't anything in the rules that said you couldn't.

The whole of the purples became a really crap place to start for everyone after Siam and Indonesia had a mercenary and a biohazard mark on them. If you were anyone including the Mutants, it was just rubbish.

Also, we opened the "Do Not Open" packet and as a result... THE GAME BEGINS TO DESTROY ITSELF!
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 17
    I love chess! It's the ultimate game of strategy, and it requires a lot of thinking.
    "Sometimes, life gives you lemons. You turn those lemons into combustible lemons, and you burn life's house down." - Portal 2
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    MasterNeo said:
    Why is everyone so hard on Monopoly house rules? That's part of the fun of it. I've had plenty of intense games of Monopoly with the following house rules: 1) All taxes and losses from Chance and Chest (other than ones paid to specific players) go to the center of the board. Landing on Free Parking gets you this money 2) Property auctioning isn't a thing 3) Any deal where both parties involved agree is allowed
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • AnnieJDoesaJigAnnieJDoesaJig Illowaconsin - USAPosts: 4
    I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm pretty much a table-top game addict.  I'm currently obsessed with Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and the oh so many different versions of Dominion that are out there.  

Also, this - 
    MasterNeo said:
    Why is everyone so hard on Monopoly house rules? That's part of the fun of it. I've had plenty of intense games of Monopoly with the following house rules: 1) All taxes and losses from Chance and Chest (other than ones paid to specific players) go to the center of the board. Landing on Free Parking gets you this money 2) Property auctioning isn't a thing 3) Any deal where both parties involved agree is allowed
    I totally agree - I love house rules for Monopoly!  Actually, house rules for just about any of the old standard games can really help to give them new life and increase the fun you can have.  After 20+ years of playing some games, you just need to change it up!
    I think the key to a good Monopoly game is having at least three people. Then you can play deals off the other players.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Key sets in Monopoly:
    Brown - Bow St, Marlborough St, Vine St
    Purple - Pall Mall, Whitehall, Northumberland Ave.

Why?
    Although the most effective return for outlay in terms of rents collected v cost of building is yellow, the most commonly landed on square is Gaol. Since 7 is the most common roll, then the set 7 squares away from Gaol is the one most landed on. Although the red set is also useful, owning that side of the board is the cheaper option.

PS: Always pick the iron, so that you can iron the Policeman's face if he sends you to gaol.
    by Rollo
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    I find that limiting any situation to probabilities will result in bad strategy in many cases. They should be considered, but they're not everything. I find that the best set combo is:
    • Oranges
    • Dark Blues
    • Railways
    • Services
  • KarosKaros United KingdomPosts: 69
    Hmm Monopoly (got to play it as 'revision for Business Studies so that was fun!), Chess is good (lack of opponents makes things difficult.

Main one however has got to be Warhammer 40,000.
  • ASillyPonyASillyPony Posts: 9
    I've recently got into a tabletop gaming group, despite never having played many beyond the mainstream games. In the short time I've been playing, I've been introduced to Munchkin, Sopio, Bang! and Robo Rally, and had a great time, and look like making some great friends into the bargain! :)
  • KritikalKritikal Boise, IdahoPosts: 250 ✭✭
    One game that I love but hasn't been mentioned is called Terror at House on the Hill. It tells the story of people walking into the mysterious house on the hill and exploring through all the rooms secrets, eventually defeating (or dying by the hands of) some powerful evil in the house. It's full of B-movie horror tropes, awesome scenes, and strategy.
    I don't want the world, I just want your half.
  • ARTexplainsARTexplains Iowa, USAPosts: 23
    Do you mean "BETRAYAL at house on the hill"? Because that is a fun game that I have played many times. I love it because the ending is always a twist and there are 50 different possible endings, many involving friends turning into enemies or last minute strategies.
  • ronwueronwue BucurestiPosts: 7
    Grand strategy lovers around here? Like Game of Thrones or Twilight Imperium. Otherwise I'd go for a Arkham Horror, Munchkin, Chaos in the old world, Ankh-Morpork, Shogun... List goes on :D
    “The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”  - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • pavca_838pavca_838 Pilsen, Czech republicPosts: 5
    My favorite game is Carcassonne...
  • KritikalKritikal Boise, IdahoPosts: 250 ✭✭
    Do you mean "BETRAYAL at house on the hill"? Because that is a fun game that I have played many times. I love it because the ending is always a twist and there are 50 different possible endings, many involving friends turning into enemies or last minute strategies.
    yes. you are right. that game is amazing.
    I don't want the world, I just want your half.
  • anxiously_awareanxiously_aware Depends on the hourPosts: 131 ✭✭
    Anyone else like euchre? My family plays it whenever we have a get-together. I've been told that my playing style is completely unorthodox(although it makes plenty of sense to me).
    "Every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every 'superstar,' every 'supreme leader,' every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
  • QurestionAsker215QurestionAsker215 You don't need to knowPosts: 22
    There are just so many board games that I love!
    Muchkin
    Munchkin Pathfinders Edition
    Munchkin Supermunchkin Edition
    Pathfinders
    Ticket to Ride
    Ticket to Ride Europe
    Stratego
    7 Wonders
    Clue
    Monopoly
    Monopoly Empire
    Monopoly Disney Edition