What age did you read your first John green book and what was it?

I was 12 and mine was Looking for Alaska but I have since read all of his books!

Comments

• NotWeirdGiftedNotWeirdGifted BelgiumPosts: 70
    I was 17 and I read the Dutch version of Looking for Alaska, and then this may I guess, I found out that he had a YouTube channel (which is 2 years later) ö and now I'm having an abundance of Katherine's and the Fault In Our Stars waiting on my shelf (i have retakes and if i read them now, that would end in a disaster...)

I'm somewhere between "sure" and "I don't know, maybe" - Lights (where the fence is low)

• TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    hmm I was probably around 14 or so, and it was paper towns.. unless I read one before and just don't remember
  • OlleOlle Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Looking for Alaska, at twenty-two!
    Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • seaurchinseaurchin MNPosts: 15
    The Fault in Our Stars, and I was 16. 
  • cookiefiendcookiefiend Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    TFioS and I finished it yesterday! I've been a nerdfighter for a few years, but I've been burned before when it comes to essayists that I really like not being able to stand up to the length of a novel so I held off all this time on starting John's books. Turns out I was wrong and TFioS was awesome. Schedule permitting I'll be making my way through the others soon.
    In masks outrageous and austere the years go by in single file; but none has merited my fear, and none has quite escaped my smile.
  • mikareadermikareader Posts: 9
    Paper Towns and I was 12 
  • katnisskittkatnisskitt Kitchener Ontario, CanadaPosts: 74
    12. The Fault In Or Stars. :)
  • MyrtoMyrto Posts: 131 ✭✭
    It was the Fault in our Stars and i was 17,5. :)
  • EveryStarThatEverWasEveryStarThatEverWas the tardisPosts: 2
    I was thirteen, and it was The Fault in our Stars
  • SamTillsSamTills Posts: 5
    I was seventeen years old, and the first book I read was The Fault in our Stars, in January. I wish I'd found out about nerdfighteria sooner. 
  • madison246madison246 Posts: 11
    I was 16 and it was The Fault in our Stars
  • another_bibliophileanother_bibliophile Canada Posts: 43
    12, The Fault In Our Stars
  • tjblacktjblack Posts: 2
    21 all of them
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking for Alaska, at 16. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• flyingdandelionsflyingdandelions PigfartsPosts: 29
    The first book by John that I read was An Abundance Of Katherines at the age of 12, because it was the first John Green book I spotted at my school's library and I had heard that his books were good. Hmm. Looking at the other replies to this topic, I'm clearly switching things up a bit.
    "Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." -Louisa May Alcott

DFTBA.

• iamjustahumaniamjustahuman CanadaPosts: 3

SamTills said:
    I was seventeen years old, and the first book I read was The Fault in our Stars, in January. I wish I'd found out about nerdfighteria sooner. 
    Same here, only I read it in May.
  • Looking for Alaska. I was 15 or 16. Had a small existential crisis and yet for some reason, went on to read his others.

I actually first heard of LfA because this boy I had a crush on when I was like 12 had something from it in his Favorite Quotes section on Facebook...Alaska's whole "You all smoke to live, I smoke to die" quip. For some reason, it all made me envision these people on some snowy rock in Alaska, creating frozen smoke rings in the air. Three or four years later, I finally read it and found that I was...not too far off.
  • rainstormrainstorm PhilippinesPosts: 6
    I read my first John Green book when I was twelve. The book I read was Paper Towns, which was suggested by my best friend :)
    "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."
    --> The Fault in Our Stars, John Green.

"I have eyes and I don't know where to put them!"
    --> John Green.

• bluesapphire2000bluesapphire2000 IndiaPosts: 150 ✭✭
    I read TFiOS at 12. :)
  • Paper Towns, and I was 11.
    DFTBA :)
  • NeuroticLlamaNeuroticLlama Paris, FrancePosts: 9
    Paper Towns, at 16. I didn't understand all of it the first time though, it was the first book I read entirely in english.
  • KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    I was 18 and the book was The fault in our stars
  • TenleyNadineTenleyNadine MichiganPosts: 681 ✭✭✭
    When I was 14 before I even knew who John Green was and before Nerdfighteria/the vlogbrothers were even a thing I checked out "21 Proms" from the library. Does anyone remember this book? It's basically a compilation of prom stories from various others, one of them being John Green. I remember my favorite story was the last one in the book about a Morp. A few years later, after I had found out about Nerdfighteria and everything I learned that the last story in "21 Proms" is called "The Great American Morp" and it's by John Green. 

"The world unwraps itself to you, again and again, as soon as you are ready to see it anew." Wicked

• LuFeijoLuFeijo Posts: 3
    I was/am 15, and it was TFioS, but if I has known John before that age, I would probably have read it earlier
  • ladycovington15ladycovington15 somewhere only we know <3Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Oh goodness, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who seemed to show up incredibly late to this party of incredible writing. I just recently (like, last night) got my hands on my first John Green books, and I am currently about 50 pages into Looking for Alaska. I plan to read his books in the order in which they were published, but my sister recently purchased The Fault in our Stars, so I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to hold out...

So, to answer the question...I am nineteen, and my first John Green book was Looking for Alaska.
    I, uh, wrote this thing.
    It's Bald John Green/Other John Green fanfiction.
    I'd rather shamelessly self-promote it than spam you on ALL the forums, so here we go =)
  • gdanehygdanehy Posts: 2
    11 and the fault in our stars
  • digitalsleepdigitalsleep USAPosts: 73 ✭✭
    22 and Looking For Alaska.

Still haven't read all his books :/
  • ashimmer13ashimmer13 Seattle, WA, USAPosts: 109 ✭✭
    22, Looking For Alaska. I then proceeded to read Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson while still 22. 
    When TFIOS came out, I had it on hold at the library and it arrived in my hands just in time for my 23rd birthday. Then proceeded to read it on a Megabus on my way back from New York and wept and laughed around a bunch of strangers. No shame at all. 
    "Every artist was first an amateur." 
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "It is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible"
    -Henry Tilney, Chapter 22 of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey
  • queenclarethethirdqueenclarethethird IowaPosts: 7
    15. I think it was TFiOS but it might've been Looking for Alaska