Homestuck and MSPA

themiragechildthemiragechild Posts: 68 ✭✭
Because the closest form of media that represents Homestuck would be webcomic anyway. I love Homestuck. Discuss.
I like things. Lots of things. Like, so many things. It's ridiculous how many things I like. I surely do like a lot of things.

Comments

• I am also a huge fan! Out of curiousity, what are you guys's favorite characters, and how long have you been reading?

I am a Vriska fan, and I've been reading the comic for about a year and a half!
    DFTBA
  • NowWeAreAllTomNowWeAreAllTom Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I actually just "discovered' Homestuck last month. 

In the very early days of MSPA--I think while Bard Quest was going on--I read the comic, chuckled a bit but didn't think it was worth much of my attention. I glanced at the site every so often over the years while browsing webcomics but it didn't catch my attention much then either.

Last month during all the Kickstarter publicity, I read Bryan Lee O'Malley's interview with Hussie and it piqued my interest enough to check out the comic. By the middle of act one, I was sufficiently intrigued to continue. By the end of Act Two ("WV: Ascend") I knew it was love. I read the whole damn thing in a week.

My favorite character is WV. The Striders are tied for second. I like pretty much all the characters (although personally I like the kids a bit more than I like the trolls, which I guess is heresy in the fandom, but there you are). 
    by NowWeAreAllTom
    Sig nature.

I am on a weekly podcast about the Harry Potter books. It is good and you would like it.
  • StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    edited November 2012
    @NowWeAreAllTom Wow! A Week! It took me about 2 months. 

@themiragechild As the OP, are you able to change the title? I'm current but I know many people are not and we might want to add spoiler warnings

The Things I want to discuss contain spolers. How do people feel about this?

Posted like Dr.Scratch

I wonder what the heck happened that Gamzee managed to get to the new medium and mess with Jane?
    Aslo, has it been established that the Medium and Earth are connected? How else could the Batter Witch be in both places?
    by StageCraft
    "Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
  • drumbrodrumbro Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 330 OKCPosts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Started reading in the middle of Act 5. I finally caught up right before the Cascade break. My favorite characters would have to be John and Vriska, with Roxy and Dave right behind them. 
    by drumbro
    "Rock and roll will never die because Neil Young said so."
  • themiragechildthemiragechild Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @StageCraft Use spoiler tags like this
    This is a spoiler
    I like things. Lots of things. Like, so many things. It's ridiculous how many things I like. I surely do like a lot of things.
  • liam55liam55 Posts: 1
    I started reading Homestuck earlier this year. I think May or early June, three weeks before my end-of-year exams, which wasn't the best idea. I read Act 1 in about a week, and read the rest in about 10 days. Homestuck has taken over most of my tumblr content, to the extent I doubt any non-Homestucks that don't have tumblr savious are still following me.

My favourite characters are Rose, Sollux, Calliope, Mituna and Roxy, but I love pretty much everyone.
  • I read it last January during a week where I had nothing to do while waiting for school to start back up. It was sometime in act six, right before roxy and dirk had names. My tumblr has also become completely overrun by it. 

It's hard to pick a favorite character since I love all of them for different reasons. But I will say I become ridiculously excited anytime Karkat or Dave show up because I just love to watch them interact with other characters. 

ps I hope all of you who have a tumblr have been following Dante Basco read through the comic. :)
    @themiragechild but how far back do you go for before it's not a spoiler? Act 5? Act 3? I'd say we've been in Act 6 long enough that only Act 6 should count.

Was anyone else really down when they caught up? I went from reading several pages a day to having to wait! It was the worst!
    ― Roger Zelazny

@StageCraft. I'm going through that now, having just caught up less than a month ago. I was reading hundreds of pages a day, and now.... nothing! No updates in the past seven days. That's not a complaint, just something I'm finding it tough to deal with.
    Sig nature.

I am on a weekly podcast about the Harry Potter books. It is good and you would like it.
  • Anyone have a favorite Homestuck-related memory?

I was just thinking about that long break right before the game where they introduced the first pre-scratch trolls where everyone was going slightly crazy. The update happened the night before a con I was going to, so almost no one at the con had had a chance to read much or any of it. I had only skimmed through a bit of it at 5 in the morning before we left. Well, one guy had managed to throw together a Kankri cosplay and was going around with a sign that said "Trigger Warning: update spoilers". It was so great watching people's various reactions to him. I just love how quick the Homestuck fandom is in turning out art, cosplay, etc. whenever a new update happens.  
  • Probably my favorite Homestuck memory was the night [S]: Cascade dropped. I made it three minutes in before the site went down, then spent the next half hour scrambling around the internet before i found a random livestream with it. 
    DFTBA
  • hiya! been reading homestuck for a little more than a year, now. my favorite character is aradia :)
    my favorite memory is definitely cascade, as it was my first update and the event of my first post on the mspaforums.
    ahhh it was so long ago now!
  • YuliafonYuliafon Posts: 27
    I haven't read Homestuck, and I have a question: What would I be getting myself into? I know it's complicated, but if I start at the beginning, will I get all the jokes and fandom-y things?
  • AlfaAlfa Posts: 14
    Yuliafon said:
    I haven't read Homestuck, and I have a question: What would I be getting myself into? I know it's complicated, but if I start at the beginning, will I get all the jokes and fandom-y things?
    You'll get most of the things if you start at the beginning
    If you start anywhere other than the beginning you're going to miss shitloads
    And you'll be spending weeks of your life on something brilliant, that's what you're getting yourself into
    Well, once you finally crack through the first two acts that is, that can take a few attempts
    edited November 2012
    Sooo... that update.

We should do a poll. Psyche or no Psyche? But counting up the days that Jack Noir counted leads me to assume the next update is when the Beta kids arrive in the Alpha session. Exciting.
    by themiragechild
    edited November 2012
    Yuliafon said:

A couple words of advice:

Absolutely start at the beginning of Homestuck--but you don't needeed to read the older stuff on MSPA first. Because you skipped that stuff there are a few weird in-jokes you'll miss, but that should be fine.

Something you should probably be aware of is that the story's format resembles a video game, specifically an adventure game where the player inputs command to move the game forward—and the commands you’re seeing are user-submitted. That’s why the story seems random, and the commands are sometimes really weird—because they were user-submitted. This may seem kind of off-putting at first but (a) you’ll get used to it, and more importantly (b) the weird dumb commands drop off in frequency pretty early and eventually the author stopped taking user submissions altogether, so what I’m saying is that it becomes more focused.

So expect not to “get” it at first. Things seem weird and random and pointless, then about halfway through the first act you realize that they are gradually begin to shape into a coherent plot. It just takes some time. For me the point of no return came at the very end of act two, and I know a lot of fans feel the same way.

In short, to paraphrase a great man, you will fall in love with Homestuck the way you fall asleep; slowly, then all at once.

Also, AVOID SPOILERS. It’s more fun that way.
    by NowWeAreAllTom
    Sig nature.

• ArloJamesBarnesArloJamesBarnes Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    @NowWeAreAllTom I do not think liking the trolls less than the kids is heresy, at least in my eyes. There was a sigquote going around on the MSPAForums that said something to the effect of "Hivebent is not Lord of the Rings, it is Lord of the Flies. It involves a bunch of screwed up kids doing horrible things to each other on a screwed-up violent planet".
    They redeem themselves a bit once Karkat becomes the leader actually rather than just in his mind, excepting the Gamzee / Sollux-Eridan incident. But only a bit. Really, all the characters are not so much people as ideals, which they are realising now, which is causing drama
    . Oh, as you can see, I favour using spoiler tags (easy enough to figure out, and there is a help forum topic about it anyway) when I mention something concrete that I feel would actually spoil it, as opposed to something minor like 'Roxy likes cats', regardless of where it occurred in the story. Spoil as you see fit, though, with proper judgment. Spoiler tags are like cheap cigars, there is no end to their use and like I said they are easy to figure out.

@StageCraft On the other hand, how did you colour the text? There is nothing in the help forums on it, and a quick Google reveals nothing. [Edit; just noticed the editing toolbar <facepalms ( X_X )>; would be nice to have a code solution, but this works].

Anyway, requisites: I think I have been reading for a year; at least I have been since 4/13 of this year which is about when I signed up for an/a MSPAForums account, but I think I remember catching up (also took me an intense week) to a little past the intro of the alpha kids. I have had favourite characters at various times, for example I liked Aradia in her first life (archaeology and stuff!), but when she was dead it was a little over the top and in her second life (which I guess is just her embracing god tier / the afterlife? Not sure) she is a bit creepy in her cheeriness.

As for whether to start at the beginning, yes. After you are caught up on Homestuck you can look through the wiki to see if a meme in HS originated with the fanbase or in earlier adventures, and you can read the said earlier adventures (heck, I got pulled in through Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff because of a friend's t-shirt, although I had seen MSPA in Topatoco before and wondered about it) but just the story of Homestuck itself will fill you in pretty well. Even people who dislike the fannish stuff people do (shipping, roleplay, et cetera - things that I have become more amenable to through the fanbase) seem to like the comic, because of Andrew Hussie's incredible storytelling talent. He ties plot threads together like nobody's business, serious Douglas Adams tactics. Best read as quickly as possible while not neglecting other duties, and also remembering to sleep (to be able to remember what you read, you will need it), because Hussie favours an archive-reader, although there are things for serial readers, also (like current-events stuff). Oh, about hitting the 'update wall' when you run out of comic, for those that mentioned it above, try a) using the RSS feed to prevent compulsive checking and b) archive binging another comic - then when one is building up updates for you to read all at once later, you are reading the other, and vice versa. Lastly for the person considering reading it: even if you find you do not like the comic (give it a good try, though), you will still probably like the associated music (including non-official stuff). It is very awesome, and I think people forget to mention it as an attractor for the comic (it still is for me one of the best strong-points).
    by ArloJamesBarnes
    But then again, I could be wrong.
  • TimeLadyKaitTimeLadyKait Posts: 20
    I started Homestuck about a year and a half ago, it's beyond amazing and I love it. My favorite character would have to be a tie between Aradia and Gamzee
    "You gave me a forever within the numbered days"
    Sooo... that update.

We should do a poll. Psyche or no Psyche? But counting up the days that Jack Noir counted leads me to assume the next update is when the Beta kids arrive in the Alpha session. Exciting.

I'm thinking that...
    This isn't a Psyche...but it's definitely is in need of explaining. Lots of it. Especially the weapons, I like them...but Jane's staff thing reminds me of the white king's staff (thingy)

edited November 2012
    I too love the music. I find in listen to it pretty often at work and at home as background music, but I can't seem to take the leap and get any of the albums, as I only really like about half of the stuff on each album. (With 23 albums, that's still a lot to love)

I wouldn't say psyche, but I would say that Hussie was trolling us again. I hope we get more info on the post-scratch kids session soon. We've only really seen Jane so far and there seem to be many more days and many more adventures going on then the pre-scratch kids had.

by StageCraft
    ― Roger Zelazny

From Hussie's latest news bulletin:

"Over the last week I flew down to Florida, signed 13,000 prints, and made a four minute Flash animation using someone else's weird computer and their ancient, tiny Wacom tablet. Best vacation, or sldkfjdklfj vacation? This is a question that is as meaningless as it is unanswerable. (BTW, the time crunch had nothing to do with the brevity of this act. The old "one page sub-act trick" was part of the A6 battle plan more than a year ago.) 

I will get on a plane and return tonight. More updates tomorrow probably. My hand is permanently stuck in a looping autograph motion, so they might look kinda funny."

So it's most likely not a Psyche. Unless Hussie is being really evil.
    edited November 2012
    Guys! New update!

We are Caliborn! Neat!
    by NowWeAreAllTom
    Sig nature.

• Yay Caliborn! Who else thinks his eyelashes are the most adorable thing? lol

Also, did you guys realize that Roxy's gun in the flash is essentially a portal gun? There were so many little things I kept noticing whenever I watched it. That's one of the great things about HS.
    The newest update (with Caliborn and the whole Jack Noir was helpful stuff)...yeah..I'm confused and this is awkward. And why is Skaia all cloudy..is there something I'm not remembering?

edited November 2012
    The newest update (with Caliborn and the whole Jack Noir was helpful stuff)...yeah..I'm confused and this is awkward. And why is Skaia all cloudy..is there something I'm not remembering?

We already saw a cloudy Skaia earlier on. Presumably, it has to do with the future-telling properties of the clouds. Link
    by themiragechild
  • @themiragechild: Ah, I had forgotten about all that
    Like Jack killing Calliope's dream self. I suppose Skaia being clouded over has something to do with the cherub session only having one player, making it impossible to win the game. But Calliope has a tower on Prospit, so does that mean she's going to eventually join the session?
    @themiragechild: I had forgotten about that...thanks

@fancypantsmanifesto: It might be due to that, but..
    in both of the kid's sessions their world got pelted with asteroids and such stuff, I assumed it was just part of it, but if that's so...why did Calliope's get sucked in to the Medium and now he/she is on a similar if not the same planet (except without the supergiant)

That made me happy. Very happy.
    @themiragechild Agreed. It's what I needed to start my day.
    ― Roger Zelazny

That was even more amusing. Hehe.