Homestuck and MSPA

Comments

• pythagoreanPhysicistpythagoreanPhysicist Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky... I snuck in and got to read it last night.

SHUT THE PIZZZAA UP, CALIBORN. SERIOUSLY.
    "I don't think giving her 'Bambi Eyes' is going to get you a flamethrower." -Calvin and Hobbes
  • themiragechildthemiragechild Posts: 68 ✭✭
    The site is back up.
    I like things. Lots of things. Like, so many things. It's ridiculous how many things I like. I surely do like a lot of things.
  • So, yeah, this brings up a good point of discussion. The consensus on /r/homestuck is that Caliborn is just crappy enough to where his constant abuse, disgusting behavior, and other heinous activities are actually endearing or funny. I admit to having gotten a chuckle out of him on occasion, but I would definitely not say that I agree with reddit's assessment. How about you all? Is Caliborn humorously distasteful, or just regular distasteful?
    edited December 2012
    I enjoy him.

Edit: Okay, just kidding. Holy crap.
    by themiragechild
    I like things. Lots of things. Like, so many things. It's ridiculous how many things I like. I surely do like a lot of things.
  • TimeLadyKaitTimeLadyKait Posts: 20
    @themiragechild I am in agreement.
    "You gave me a forever within the numbered days"
  • While I agree about Caliborn being pretty horrible, I think it raises a funny point about the fandom. We think he's bad now because of the way he's treating Jane, but earlier when he MURDERED HIS SISTER it was fine. I guess we're all pretty desensitized to death at this point.
  • TimeLadyKaitTimeLadyKait Posts: 20
    @turntechGodhead
    I think we have to be after Hussie has killed just about everyone, at least once.

"You gave me a forever within the numbered days"
  • MabelPinesMabelPines Posts: 90
    Hi, mind if I join in? Okay so I Homestucked (I think that would be the correct form of the word, no?) for a week or 2 over the summer and ended up getting really really far. Then I stopped because of reasons but I started again yesterday oh man I just love it all so much! I'm not caught up yet, I'm at the part where [spoiler] all the scratch stuff happens. I mean my current actual place is where you click through pictures in Doc Scratch's scrapbook, which I guess isn't a spoiler but yeah. I feel really in the loop now and storylines are coming together and AH! [/Spoiler] Honestly none of that was anything spoiler-y but oh well. I did find out I was SERIOUSLY missing out by not doing it on the computer! I had always knew that I was missing music and stuff but I think I was actually missing a WHOLE LOT. Reading it on my iPod is a big pain in the butt because most things show up, but a lot also don't. Ah this is total random whining, sorry!
    Excellent! That's one of the best parts in terms of narrative.
    Yes. A5A2 wins.

I would suggest you go back at some point and check out some of the flash stuff on your computer, though. There's a lot of really cool stuff ^_^
    "I don't think giving her 'Bambi Eyes' is going to get you a flamethrower." -Calvin and Hobbes
  • ChattermonsterChattermonster Posts: 16
    edited December 2012
    I did a speed archive run for my first Homestucking, and I'm currently "ascending more casually" (if you will) to catch the bits that I missed. Openstuck (that part of A5A2 with the open-world troll games) is super interesting, if a bit frustrating. I largely ignored it the first time through.

I can't wait to see what else I missed. Esp in act 6.
    by Chattermonster
  • I'm rereading it right now (although at the approximate speed of molasses) and Openstuck was one of the parts I'm looking forward to the most. 
    I feel like when I was reading it the first time and it transitioned to Hivebent I couldn't remember any of the trolls or their names, so I was pretty lost. But now I know all of them, so I think it'll be a lot more enlightening experience. Also I get to remember all the great trolls that have died/never appear anymore.
  • LeftyLefty Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Hey everyone! I just joined this site and I'm so glad to see a Homestuck thread around here (one where everyone seems pretty reasonable, too!)

I've been reading Homestuck since December of 2009. I got bored during Christmas break, clicked a banner ad for MSPA, and read everything in order. I mean everything, starting with Jailbreak. Problem Sleuth is where I actually got hooked, so when I got to Homestuck and found out it was all of the humor and creativity of PS but with actual characterization I was in love. I don't remember where the comic was I was when I got caught up, but I do remember the first Intermission hadn't happened yet. (It's always kind of funny to me when I hear the "Don't skip the Intermission" warning because I never even got that option. :b)

Answers to all of the basics:
    Patron troll: Vriska and Aranea (which I'm very happy with)
    "Title": Not sure about class, but would definitely be a light player.
    Favorite beta kid: Rose
    Favorite beta troll(s): Kanaya and Vriska
    Favorite alpha kid(s): Dirk and Roxy
    Favorite alpha troll: Aranea
    Favorite exile: PM
    OTPs: Rosemary, JohnVris (though a little less since the most recent updates with them), Daverezi, Latula/Mituna, Meerkat
    Favorite crackships: Eridan/Roxy or Sollux/Roxy

I'm not a particularly rabid shipper, though, and I'll most likely be pretty okay with however canon decides to sort them all out in the end (with the exception of Rosemary, which I'll do down with.)

I'm a newbie cosplayer as well, and so far 2/3 of my finished costumes have been Homestuck. I've done Roxy's original outfit (though I'm excited to start working on the new one) and Aranea's original outfit. My next project is PM. : D

Sorry for the long post. I just figured I'd get a lot out of the way in one go.

by Lefty
  • OK, so I recently read The Fault in Our Stars and I had this thought, which I can only share here, rather than anywhere else on the internet. As such, I will attempt the very rare

2X SPOILER TAG COMBOB

Isaac totally reminds me of
    Sollux.

^YESSSSSS. SO MUCH YES. ALL OF THE YES. ALL OF IT.
  • StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    Might be helpful for the latest updates

"Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
    This pretty much confirms the "Serenity is Calliope" theory. Hopefully.
    ^
    EVERYONE IS CALLIOPE.

Also, may I just say that I am very much in favor of Calliope's plan. God Tier Alphas YES PLEASE.
  • StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    [spoiler]
    Oh No! Cliffhanger!
    And yes. I'm all for God Tiers. God Tier all the way.
    [spoiler/]
    "Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
  • Let's do a list of less common favorites, 'cause why not.

Favorite weapon: Wrinklef—er
    Favorite member of The Felt: Sawbuck. Definitely Sawbuck.
    Favorite still panel: Scribble Mode John
    Favorite gif panel: This explodey one
    Favorite pesterlog: THE DEALIE!
    Favorite song / music: Doctor and it's descendants
    Favorite planet: Land of Pyramids and Neon (because I'm waiting for Jake to mention "Big Trouble In Little China")
    Favorite source for fanart: Papers Everywhere (for the feels)
    Oooh, I don't really have a lot of favorites for those...

Favorite weapon: Thorns of Ogoloth
    Favorite Felt member: Stitch
    Favorite pesterlog: Maybe one of the rap-offs
    Favorite planet: Land of Light and Rain is cool, but Land of Little Cubes and Tea wins, just because it's LOLCAT.
    GAIZ.

EQUIUSPRITE. Also Dirk feelings jams.

IT IS A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE.
    This is excellent.
    I... I can't even. I didn't realize how insane this would be... Also Jake's facial expressions are the best.
    That juju.
    edited January 2013
    That update. I just. I don't even.

Okay, current theories:

1) Roxy, too, will eventually engage Trickster Mode. Calliope's portrait of her was Trickster Mode, and was holding the combined jujus.

2) The Horrorterrors have something to do with engaging Trickster Mode. The background in [s]Jane: Engage was the same as in [s]Jade: Wake Up.

3) To briefly indulge in romspec, either Jadekat or Davejade could be endgame? It's pretty clear, as Bladekindeyeware on Tumblr points out, that Calliope and Caliborn were ectobiologized by Gamzee from Jade&&Karkat. Their blood colors (Jade's text color and Karkat's blood color) show that, and the sucker continues to show it. (And the "s u c k e r s ?" is a throwback to Gamzee in Cascade, of course). It's *possible* that the red is a reference to Dave, since that's his text/eye color, but it's doubtful, because human&&human makes another human, while human&&troll could make anything, and probably makes cherubs. Again, most of this was taken from Bladekindeyeware. I dunno if that will translate to Jadekat actually becoming a pairing, but there is a good deal of evidence for it...

Actually that wasn't so brief. But whatever, anyway, those are my theories. Does anyone else know a bit more about Trickster Mode? Because my knowledge of it is basically "it exists."
    by pythagoreanPhysicist
    Trickster Mode: All that was in the webserial or whatever about Trickster Mode before this was the secret code in the the old Flashes.

I'm still not sure that the Alpha kids will reach god tier, so this might be a possible substitute; however, Calliope did say to reach god tier, even though she sent her juju to Jane previously before that.
  • I don't think that bladekindeyewear is super-credible. He/She is fun to read, but it's pretty clear there's no special insight into the Mind of Huss going on there. He {Kankri blows whistle, tells me to check my privilege} did get the Neverending Story reference, which is awesome, but I'm more inclined to buy what themiragechild is selling re: trickster mode. I don't see the Jade&&Karkat theory as particularly convincing.

Also, that was terrifying.

Also, also, apparently there are sketches out there of all the α-kids in Trickster Mode, by the artist who drew Roxy and Jane (Hussie contracted that, ostensibly to make it obvious that Calliope drew them, not him. I guess?) link

Some of his stuff is hard for me to believe (see: Gamzee/Dirk), but in general I think he's pretty good. But to each their own, I guess.

...Those are the most adorable things I've ever seen. Also I'm betting there are enormous amounts of foreshadowing in the color schemes, but I don't really want to figure it out right now.
    One more intermission, one more subact, and the small act seven, and Homestuck is over. D: