Count to 100 before a Mod/Admin posts. [56K WARNING]

Comments

• BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,538 ✭✭✭
    Yea, they're pretty cool.

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    GOODREADS     TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM    ANOBII

• MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭
    Welp. Spring break is now officially over. I'm really not looking forward to my class today. Tomorrow will be great though! I really like Tuesday's professors. ^_^
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home

Yay for Tuesday professors!

For real though! What's really sad though is that I checked out the ratemyprofessor website while thinking about next years classes, and I looked at my current professors ratings, and my favorite one has a terrible rating. I was actually really mad at the other people who rated him, so I gave him the highest rating to try to balance it out.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

I have done that so many times. A lot of my favorite professors got bad ratings because they made you actually learn the material, and other students apparently don't like that. I'm not sure if professors actually look at that website (a question for Mikey?), but if they do, I'm sure they appreciate the positive ratings and comments.

Exactly! The thing I love about my professors is what everyone else hates. They actually make me think. Semi-related, there was one professor with an absolutely amazing rating, but when I saw why, I knew I didn't want him as my professor. They love him because he has flexible deadlines. That's fine for some people, but it gives me way too much room for procrastination. If I don't have to have something done, I'll put it off. So I'd do terribly in his class.

I hope professors don't look at it because college students can be cruel.

I always knew to avoid the teachers with higher ratings and comments that said they had super easy tests and no assignments. I wouldn't be able to learn the material if I didn't actually HAVE to learn it for the test...

Yeah, I'm the same way. I just have so much to do, the things that aren't required don't get done.

I never had a problem getting assignments done. I was usually done 90% of my assignments by midterms. My problem was that if I knew the test would be easy, I wouldn't study the material as well. I had one professor who was known for "failing students" but it was really that his tests required you to fully know the information. I loved his classes. And I still know the information. But other teachers would basically give you the answers on the test and I don't remember any of it.

Ahhh. Yeah, I've never gotten that far ahead. I definitely appreciate the teachers who actually require you to know the material though. My macroeconomics professor is that way, which is why he's my favorite. And he makes sure we have plenty of opportunities to learn the material. The homework is designed for that instead of just memorization. You can actually answer questions for as long as you want and eventually get to a hundred once the material is learned well enough. And then he has exams about once a month that go over the material since the last exam. So we have to study for that. And then the final exam is cumulative so we have to study everything again. He keeps saying it's so that we have to learn the material multiple times so that it actually sticks. One of the complaints most students had about him is that he doesn't actually teach and that he expects us to already know the material. That really infuriates me because he's always asking if anyone has questions, and he'll happily answer even the most basic things. He's also super helpful during his office hours.

You probably can't tell, but I think this professor is pretty great. ;)

I really love professors like that. thats how my favorite professor was. Everyone complained that he didn't explain anything, and the questions on the test were totally different than what we discussed in class. But he literally wrote the questions on the board at the beginning of each section, and then taught us exactly what he wanted us to say. And he would go over most of the information like three times and ask everyone for questions. And if no one asked a question, he would ask a question to someone and if they couldn't answer it, he'd go over it again. I don't know how much more clear he could have been. hahaha.

Yup! We have an attendance sheet that we sign at the beginning of class, and the professor will call a random name from that list. He's had a couple people signed in who weren't there and he got pretty mad about that. I did too, tbh. Attendance doesn't even affect our grade that much. It's just messed up. I actually accidentally walked into him getting on to a student in a different class for that, and then a few minutes later someone in my class did it. Needless to say, he wasn't the happiest that day. What happened to being respectful and honest?

I never understood why people didn't care enough to go to class, but they cared enough to have their friend sign the attendance for 2 points. WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO TO CLASS? I kind of brag about it sometimes, but I never missed a class in college. I was too afraid of missing something important. I even went when I was sick(not contagious though). Like is it so hard to go to class?

edited March 30
    For real! I really don't like college students sometimes. Of course, I guess I've always gotten along better with my teachers than with students my age. I still don't think that's a bad thing.

Also, I've already missed a class in college, but it was because I had to get a paper from the IRS that the university claimed they needed to figure out my financial aid stuff. (They didn't need it.)
    by MontannaPeach

I've always gotten along with older people better. But of course, I have some younger friends. I think it's good to have friends in different age groups.

At least that's a good reason to skip a class. And of course, that's typical financial aid office. The one at my school messed up everyone's financial aid all the time.

I agree.

It was pretty terrible. I almost got kicked out of the school because they took so long to get me my financial aid. I finally got it the last possible day I could have.

That's crazy! One year they waited until everyone had moved out and gone home for the summer to tell me I needed to sign something for my scholarship check. I wasn't going to drive allllll the way back there to sign something. And when I got back in the fall they said it was too late so I had to ask to have another check sent.

Woah! That's terrible!
    In good university news, I interviewed my economics professor today for my English class and it was so great! He might not be coming back next year though, which makes me really sad.

• MrsWho42MrsWho42 The great state of Denial.Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."

@MontannaPeach oh no :( it that the professor that you really like?

@MrsWho42 hello! :)

@BriRose23 It is. :cry: I'm seriously thinking about just staying in the classroom after my final exam to thank him for being so awesome and say bye. I really, really hope he comes back next year, but the university hasn't decided yet.

@MrsWho42 I told you I love your username over on Girls vs. Boys, so here I'm going to tell you I love your location and signature. XD

@MontannaPeach that's be pretty cool. He'd probably really appreciate that.

@BriRose23 Hopefully. Otherwise it'd be pretty awkward. :sweat_smile:

@MontannaPeach I think he'll appreciate it hahaha

@BriRose23 Thanks! I have so much anxiety about these things. One-on-one conversations at all kind of terrify me, and it's worse when it's someone I look up to. :sweat_smile: Like, when I interviewed him I was kind of shaky and scatter-brained, so I just said I was kind of nervous instead of pretending neither of us could tell. Of course, he said there was no reason to be, and I was like, "Yeah, I know. But I don't really need a reason." At least I've gotten to the point where I can talk to people though. I used to be so much worse.

• MsSonyfanMsSonyfan IndiaPosts: 544 ✭✭

@MontannaPeach aww if you're too nervous to talk one-on-one, maybe you could write a note and leave it in his office or something?

@BriRose23 Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now.

@MontannaPeach I like getting notes like that because I can save them and reread them later on :)

@BriRose23 Me too! I keep all the cards and letters people have given me.