Print Comics: Currently Reading

Hey Guys!

So what are Nerdfighters currently reading in the world of print comics? What are you following? What are you buying?

In the world of graphic novels, I recently discovered and am reading through Transmetropolitan, which is quite good, and I would suggest a read if you have not heard of it! In monthlies, I am currently buying the New 52 Batwoman comics, because JH Williams III's art is fantastic, and the writing is top notch. I'm keeping an eye on the Superman (for Rocafort's art) and Batman lines (Because of the court of owls arc), as well as investigating the Wonderwoman line (Which I've heard is awesome). 

What about you guys?
DFTBA

Comments

• NowWeAreAllTomNowWeAreAllTom Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Scott Snyder's New 52 Batman is great. I also like Snyder's Swamp Thing and Jeff Lemire's Animal Man, which are in the midst of a cool crossover.

But I don't actually buy them in print, I buy them through Comixology and read them on my iPad. I'm also usually at least a month behind because Comixology drops prices a dollar one month after release.

I'd love to get into some Marvel stuff but the books are too expensive to justify following in the long term. I've read a bit of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man and I love the new Spidey, but I can't really justify the expense, sadly. 

And I love Locke & Key from IDW. Can't wait for the next arc to start.
    by NowWeAreAllTom
    Sig nature.

I am on a weekly podcast about the Harry Potter books. It is good and you would like it.
  • ThatsNoDooryardThatsNoDooryard Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I'm currently following the new 52 series Talon as well as the Jericho series from IDW. I'm also waiting for the new Nova series to start up from Marvel.

• I always sort of stayed away from superhero comics because I find the continuity daunting, but I bought the first volume of Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force run after hearing such good things and I plan on reading it soon.

Other than that, I think that Locke and Key is the best comic book on shelves, I've been trying to finish Scalped, and I also like Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth.

In terms of more indie/graphic novel stuff, I LOVE Adrian Tomine and Chris Ware (his new Building Stories set is gigantic but gorgeous).  And after many years of fear of not knowing where to start and what order to read it in, I've finally decided to start reading Love and Rockets by Gilbert and Jamie Hernandez.
  • Prospero101Prospero101 Posts: 45
    For the first time in my life I have a fantasy/comic shop in walking distance, so needless to say this will be the sink for a large portion (some 100%) of my disposable income.

I managed to track down the first two volumes of Ed Brubaker's run of Captain America.
    I bought Final Crisis with my token nostalgia dollar (well, also because Grant Morrison is GOD).
    And I've been following the Amazing and Ultimate Spider-Men.

Also, I'm a bit curious as to DC's somewhat...er....how can I put this delicately...fetishistic interest in the number 52? I swear it crops up everywhere.
    "Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
    If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
    Till she cry, 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
    I must have you.'"
    -Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
    Also, I'm a bit curious as to DC's somewhat...er....how can I put this delicately...fetishistic interest in the number 52? I swear it crops up everywhere.
    I believe it comes from 52, the series that ran in the year after Infinite Crisis. The series came out weekly and also progressed in "real time," where each issue covered a week of story. 52 issues, 52 weeks in a year... get it? But there was also a double meaning because while it had initially seemed that the events of Infinite Crisis had destroyed the multiverse, the multiverse was revealed late in 52 to still exist and the exact number of universes in existence is... well, take a wild guess.

As far as I know that's the origin of it but I'm not a long-time comic book fan so it may go back farther than that. I think the "New 52" is just sort of a reference to that.
    Sig nature.

I am on a weekly podcast about the Harry Potter books. It is good and you would like it.
  • Prospero101Prospero101 Posts: 45
    I actually read Infinite Crisis, but never followed up on it. Hmm.

The More You Know. Ding!
    "Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
    If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
    Till she cry, 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
    I must have you.'"
    -Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
  • DunyaDunya Posts: 63
    edited November 2012
    I only started reading comics this year. I got into it because superheros always caught my fancy and now that i'm 15 i'm old enough to go out to the city to get some. I went to my first comic book store and had help from the owner (yes, they are as cute as they are portrayed in the movies) and i left with Batman and X-Men comics - and i loved them both. the art and detail is absolutely breathtaking! I also have some Phantom comics from a showbag i got given. Will go back soon to get some more - any recommendations for beginners?  
    by Dunya
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta:
    the tip  of  the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap,
    at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
  • QEDQED Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    Currently I'm working my way through the latest Marvel big event, Avengers vs X-men. Not overly impressed with it so far but I'm willing to wait till I finish it up before passing comment on it. 
    Dunya said:
    any recommendations for beginners?  
    I think this would actually be a good idea for a separate topic, so I'll start one!
    Sig nature.

• random_fanrandom_fan Posts: 173
    On my pull list is Deadpool, Demon Knights, Frankenstein agent of S.H.A.D.E (I'm so annoyed this is getting cancelled), and Batwoman. Marvel Now has added Uncanny Avengers, All new X-men, Fearless Defenders, FF, and Young Avengers. I also pick up any issue of Avenging Spider-man with a character I'm interested in and the same will apply for A+X.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."
  • RadagastRadagast Posts: 45
    Big on Doctor Who tie-ins, both the IDW title and those included in Doctor Who Magazine.
  • I get most all of my comics online too because I'm poor but I read quite a lot though. My favorites are Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman, Nightwing, JLD, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Skullkickers.
    Wow, that's a long list. And those are only the favorites.
  • AlcixAlcix Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    TMNT, Venom, Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, BPRD/Hellboy, with some mini-series and one-shots.
    I'm also picking a few up from the Marvel Now relaunch. As far as graphic novels I follow Green Lantern and GL Corps. Plan on picking a few more from the DC new 52. Also several limited series such as Firefly/Serenity and of course the TMNT Ultimate Collections from the Mirage days.

I currently order all my comics online, because there is only one store here that sells comics and it is Hastings (a music/video game/movie/book superstore). I don't care to get comics there because of them being a "superstore" as well as their staff does not know how to handle comics. The few times I purchased comics there they bent pages and creased covers during the checkout process. I'd love a local comic shop but they don't seem to survive in my town. =/
    by Alcix
  • sgt_tibbssgt_tibbs Posts: 6

Alcix said:
    The few times I purchased comics there they bent pages and creased covers during the checkout process. I'd love a local comic shop but they don't seem to survive in my town. =/
    Oh goodness, reading that just put a little knot in my stomach. I don't understand people who can damage books, and that includes comic books! I am sooooooo thankful for Strange Adventures (my comic shop of choice), they have a really great atmosphere.

I will add my voice to the chorus praising Locke & Key. I got the first 4 volumes out at the library, read them in a matter of days and am now DYING waiting for the 5th. In addition to Locke & Key, my current obsessions include Saga, the amazing new series from Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples, and Morning Glories, which was first described to me as "a cross between Lost, Runaways and The Prisoner" and which continues to wrinkle my brain with just about every page. I am unfortunately behind on both of them, though I'm hoping I can rectify that soon!
  • EquilibriumEquilibrium Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I'm currently making my way through Gail Simone's run on Birds of Prey. It was recommended to me and I have not been disappointed. I recommend it also to anyone familiar with that era of DC (about in Infinite Crisis to Brightest Day).

I just finished Red Robin: Hit List and I'm very slowly making my way through Jaime Reyes era Blue Beetle pre New 52. I think I may move on to Superman/Batman soon. I'd like to get my hands on the 52 series and read Cassandra Cain era Batgirl as well, but all in good time.

I've given my local comic book shop a lot of business, but they raised prices so now I buy on Comixology. 
  • Just curious, how do people feel about the idea of Marvel NOW? 
    Ripoff of the New 52? Totally unnecessary? Much needed renumbering?
    Personally, I'm fairly new to comics so I think it's a good jumping on point to a lot of series like Thor and X-men.
  • AlcixAlcix Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel about Marvel NOW. Only one of that I've read is the new Deadpool and since I am new to that series in general I can't offer much except that I like it. 
    It is a good jumping point, as was the New 52. I'll have to save judgment to see how they handle Spider-Man...right now I'm iffy on the new title. Changing it from The Amazing Spider-Man to Superior Spider-Man feels like a direction I am not entirely comfortable with, but hey, Only one way to find out.

• Alcix said:
    Not sure how I feel about Marvel NOW. Only one of that I've read is the new Deadpool and since I am new to that series in general I can't offer much except that I like it. 
    It is a good jumping point, as was the New 52. I'll have to save judgment to see how they handle Spider-Man...right now I'm iffy on the new title. Changing it from The Amazing Spider-Man to Superior Spider-Man feels like a direction I am not entirely comfortable with, but hey, Only one way to find out.

I'm totally skeptical about Superior Spider-man too, I read online somewhere that supposedly it won't even be Peter Parker. I was cool with that in the Ultimate universe, because I think Miles Morales makes for a pretty different feel for the role, but I dunno if I'm cool with in in the regular continuity.
    I'm currently making my way through Gail Simone's run on Birds of Prey. It was recommended to me and I have not been disappointed. I recommend it also to anyone familiar with that era of DC (about in Infinite Crisis to Brightest Day).
    I've been thinking about checking out her stuff; she was one of the guests at Hal-Con this year, and she seemed nice! I only saw a bit of her panel, though, since they were mostly talking about characters I wasn't at all familiar with. But I've never read any DC before, so I'm not sure where I should start?
    sgt_tibbs said:
    I've been thinking about checking out her stuff; she was one of the guests at Hal-Con this year, and she seemed nice! I only saw a bit of her panel, though, since they were mostly talking about characters I wasn't at all familiar with. But I've never read any DC before, so I'm not sure where I should start?
    She really does write good stories and she's masterful with building characters. It's no wonder she has written for so many female hero titles. They needed her touch.

DC has about 70 years of continuity. Why wouldn't you know where to start? ;) Kidding. I'm familiar and a little in love with the DC Universe as it was so the New 52 reboot gives me a bit of a headache, but for someone getting into DC, a #1 of a New 52 Title just may be the place to start. :) I think Gail Simone is writing Batgirl so that's a good place to start if you're interested in her work.

Also, I can't recommend Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross enough. It is a masterwork of DC comics. The art, the story, the themes; all are top notch. Not sure if I'd start with it, but put it on your list if you want to get into DC. 
    I've just started on The Winter Soldier, Ed Brubaker's current series. I am only 4 issues in so far but it seems to be a solid action/spy book with Bucky, Black Widow and a little bit of Nick Fury. 
  • speckleyspeckley Posts: 11
    Adventure Time, Marceline and the Scream Queens, and Bravest Warriors.
    I also read some of the Avatar: The Last Airbender comics, when they come out.

That's about it, though.
    She really does write good stories and she's masterful with building characters. It's no wonder she has written for so many female hero titles. They needed her touch.

DC has about 70 years of continuity. Why wouldn't you know where to start? ;) Kidding. I'm familiar and a little in love with the DC Universe as it was so the New 52 reboot gives me a bit of a headache, but for someone getting into DC, a #1 of a New 52 Title just may be the place to start. :) I think Gail Simone is writing Batgirl so that's a good place to start if you're interested in her work.

Also, I can't recommend Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross enough. It is a masterwork of DC comics. The art, the story, the themes; all are top notch. Not sure if I'd start with it, but put it on your list if you want to get into DC. 
    I'm pretty leery of reboots myself, and especially with the recent news of Gail Simone's firing I'm thinking I'll steer clear of the New 52. Might check out some of her earlier work on Batgirl and just try to muddle through. Maybe I'll see what they have at the library.

Is Kingdom Come stand alone, or does it require more extensive knowledge of the DC universe?
  • speckley said:

That's about it, though.
    Yeah man, Adventure Time comics are rad! I haven't read the Bravest Warriors yet, but I've seen all the episodes so far. Is it good?
    edited December 2012
    sgt_tibbs said:

I'm pretty leery of reboots myself, and especially with the recent news of Gail Simone's firing I'm thinking I'll steer clear of the New 52. Might check out some of her earlier work on Batgirl and just try to muddle through. Maybe I'll see what they have at the library.

Is Kingdom Come stand alone, or does it require more extensive knowledge of the DC universe?
    Kingdom Come is a stand alone, it helps if you are familiar with who the major DC characters are in general but otherwise it's a stand alone set in the future of an alternate DC universe. I thought it was good and would recommend it as well.

Similarly I enjoyed Mark Millar's Red Son which is also a stand alone set in an alternate version of the DC universe. 
    by QED
  • speckleyspeckley Posts: 11
    speckley said:

That's about it, though.
    Yeah man, Adventure Time comics are rad! I haven't read the Bravest Warriors yet, but I've seen all the episodes so far. Is it good?
    I'm enjoying it so far! It's pretty on-par with the Cartoon Hangover show, but there seems to be a bigger story arc than the show itself. Only two issues have come out so far, though.
  • speckley said:
    speckley said:

That's about it, though.
    I'm enjoying it so far! It's pretty on-par with the Cartoon Hangover show, but there seems to be a bigger story arc than the show itself. Only two issues have come out so far, though.
    I really liked how they made longer arcs in AT, maybe I'll check out the BW comic some time.
    sgt_tibbs said: 

I wasn't aware that DC had fired Gail. That is a shame. She's one of the reasons fans of the well liked heroine Oracle accepted her loss to let Barbara (the more recognizable Batgirl to new readers) be Batgirl again. I don't know what the DC higher-ups are thinking, but I can see why that would put you off to the series.

If you want a title pre-reboot, maybe try Teen Titans. I know a lot of people who started reading DC after they were introduced to the Titans. So maybe start there. I would recommend Teen Titans: Year One as a start. Now that I think about it, any Year One should be a good introduction title.

And, like it was mentioned before, Kingdom Come is a stand alone. You can read it without knowing the DC universe well, but it adds another layer of understanding if you are familiar with it.
  • random_fanrandom_fan Posts: 173
    edited December 2012
    I haven't heard Gail was fired, I know she was kicked off Batgirl but as far as I knew she was still employed by DC.
    by random_fan
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."
  • Luckily Gail was brought back. I guess DC realized she was the best candidate for the job.

I'm reading a handful of titles, but right now the biggest one on my mind is Amazing Spider-Man. I'm kind of mad at how Marvel decided to handle it all. I wouldn't be so irked if the "other guy" was someone else. Someone more redeemable.

-CF
    "There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." ~Aragorn