Crash Course: Literature

thoroughly enjoyed world history (and, with much less comprehension, biology ), cannot wait for what john has lined up for CC: Lit !!

Comments

• MichaelGMichaelG Posts: 18
    No matter what, It will be fun to watch! The one thing I ask myself is, will it be just Meta, talking about what literature is, how it formed and maybe examples, or will he focus on specific books and describe the whole thing around them...
  • KatelynKatelyn Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    I am definitely very excited for this one, but I'm also nervous. First, many of us have already studied certain books (like The Great Gatsby) in school, so I'm not sure how entertaining repeats will be. Secondly, I'm intending on reading a great many of the classic literature books, and I wonder if it will be safe from spoilers or if these Crash Course videos will be aimed at people who've already read the literature.
    by Katelyn
    The world belongs to those who show up.
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    So looking forwards to it, I wasn't able to take any Lit courses this semester and I've been missing it.
    Wondering what kinds of things, if it was novels I hope he'd have let us know with some advance so we can read ahead of time. Maybe it'll be more poetry and short stories, maybe I'll be able to put my Norton Anthologies of Literature to use with things like The Waste Land or/and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
  • kkdavis22kkdavis22 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I agree somewhat with Katelyn. I wish I knew a little more about how it was going to be set up or that I knew the books he was going to discuss before he discusses them. Partly in case of spoilers, but also so I have time to read it if I haven't. I'm very excited to hear his interpretation of literature because I'm sure it will differ from what I've been taught. I hope he teaches how to read critically as well, since he's always talking about how important that is :)
  • JayGatsbyJayGatsby Posts: 3
    I'm so excited for it! (As my username might be evidence of...)
  • KalynKalyn Posts: 5
    I'm really excited. I'm especially excited for Gatsby, because that is the first book I really enjoyed analyzing.
  • nathans115nathans115 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely really excited for it. Personally, I wouldn't really mind if he does a book I've already read and/or studied, because we can learn from it, since he will have a different take on the book, a different perspective than we may have already gotten. In the World History course, I already knew a lot of what he talked about, but it was a nice review, with lots of new information I had never heard before. The same goes for Literature, but in a different way, obviously, because it is a completely different course.

but yeah, also, it would be annoying if he does a book, without even announcing it ahead of time and then some of us haven't read it and didn't have a chance. So probably if he is doing a book study, he will announce it pretty far in advance.
    "Can't pee against the wind? Eat a Slice!" - Olan Rogers
  • CodeyWhiteCodeyWhite Posts: 1
    Cant wait for this! Nerdfighter book club?!!
  • smurfwoodsmurfwood Posts: 2
    Anyone know if this will include poetry? 
  • hlp0045hlp0045 Posts: 25
    I think instead of talking about literature in relation to certain books it would be more beneficial to a general audience to talk about different methods of analyzing literature. Obviously some text will be included every now and again but really it's SO much fun to analyze the crap out of things! Some grammar lessons would also be amazing. =)  
  • YES! I did my happy dance when I heard about the CC: Lit :D So excited!
  • IronAnimationIronAnimation Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    I think his first book is Gatsby, he mentioned researching it on twitter a week or two ago. I think.
    Have a pleasant day
  • ErikaErika Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I wander if it is going to be just English literature or World literature... I love English and all, but there are so many great things produced in other languages. I think they should explore that too. 
    Nerdfighter Erika from Brazil
  • larklark Posts: 83
    I really hope he's not just talking about single books in a random order, but actually deals with history and theory and such.
    And yeah, world literature would be awesome, but is probably a bit much to ask :)
    Yeah, as soon as I posted the last post I though about it being more of history and theory rather than episodes with single book analysis. Which in itself is more universal than just choosing books to talk about.

They've done world history, I don't see how world literature would be a problem...
  • DanicaDanica IndernapolisPosts: 17 ✭✭
    MichaelG said:
    No matter what, It will be fun to watch! The one thing I ask myself is, will it be just Meta, talking about what literature is, how it formed and maybe examples, or will he focus on specific books and describe the whole thing around them...
    Definitely not meta. The series is based on a shortlist of classics. A lot of the same mechanics of World History are in place, although the Phrase of the Week is dead. Just previewed the new ThoughtBubble intro sequence this week and feel pretty confident in saying you're going to love it!
  • DanicaDanica IndernapolisPosts: 17 ✭✭
    smurfwood said:
    Anyone know if this will include poetry? 
    Oh yes, there will be poetry!
    Erika said:

They've done world history, I don't see how world literature would be a problem...
    Mostly 'cause John speaks English, and probably mostly reads English books, is likely most familiar with English literary history, tradition & theory etc. I do hope they'll include a few non-English title, but since there are few people who can really claim expertise in world literature I think doing a world literature course would be too big a beast. You'd have to explain the culture, the literary tradition, the historic background etc. for every single book.
    John is not an expert in world history either. He had help from somebody that is to make the world history one. All he has to do is be interested in it and read translations. Books have been translated, studies about the books have been translated also... By talking history you also have to take in to account everything you mentioned and it turned out just fine.

I think it's weird that the whole world reads translated English literature just fine, and yet anglophones have this incredible resistance when it comes to reading other countries' literature.
    Erika said:
    John is not an expert in world history either. He had help from somebody that is to make the world history one. All he has to do is be interested in it and read translations. Books have been translated, studies about the books have been translated also... By talking history you also have to take in to account everything you mentioned and it turned out just fine.

I think it's weird that the whole world reads translated English literature just fine, and yet anglophones have this incredible resistance when it comes to reading other countries' literature.
    I do see your point. Thing is... I study English literature at a German uni. And there's no way I could write a sufficiently good, concise, entertaining, educational script about German lit (or any other than English). I just don't have the knowledge. And reading five books isn't going to give me the insight to speak about it in an informed manner. Afaik John had one person to help him with World History (who taught world history, which is taught in every school in the US), there aren't many people who have an overview of world literature to that degree, as there are few world literature classes. So that's why I have doubts. (I'd love for him to do world lit! I just...)
    I understand how few people would be able to write in depth papers about it (although there are world literature professors around. There is a major where I am right now), but it's a ten minute video. You just need a basic explanation. He would have to explain the english context anyway, it would be unfair to assume that everybody knows the context for the stories already. But it would be the same basic context for every type of literature.

But I think the idea of a course with no (or few) books, just movements and theories seems a better idea at this point...
  • Will the videos include spoilers (for the books they're discussing)? If so, there should really be a disclaimer or something.
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I really want him to discuss "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • isobeltalyaisobeltalya Posts: 18
    I really want him to discuss "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    I love that book! It's one of my favorite books I've ever read that's not a Harry Potter book. I re-read it whenever there's a lag in books that I'm reading, which doesn't happen often, but whatever. I think I've read it three or four times by now. Do you like it?
    Keep Calm and DFTBA

Peace
    Love
    Potter
  • ningning Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    I am a bit disappointed that CC Literature will be discussing Catcher and Gatsby, books that were already discussed in previous vlogbrothers videos.
    by ning
  • I'm ridiculously excited for cc lit but I wish it was starting during the summer. I've read almost all of the books already but, like, ages ago & I'd like to reread them along with the episodes but I don't have so much time during the year. Summer would be better :/ Ah well! I'm still looking forward to it  :-bd
  • Marieeved2Marieeved2 Posts: 2
    Finally a CC: Lit. I will probably read the books when I have the time, College Student and all. 
    It's going to be fun and definitely interesting (not saying CC: History and Biology weren't.) We'll see how it goes. 
  • edwardedward Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Mind if I ask if anyone knows on what day of the week the Lit videos are going to be uploaded? I can't find Romeo & Juliet yet ... 

Romeo and Juliet! Romeo and Juliet! Wherefore art thou, Romeo and Juliet?
  • KTmckelvKTmckelv Posts: 4
    I'm super excited!! I love The Great Gatsby so I'm hoping that that one will come asap!!
  • amandafinlawamandafinlaw Posts: 49
    I'm very excited, especially because I think I might be the only Nerdfighter who has yet to read the Great Gatsby. I keep meaning to, but there are so many other books just sitting there waiting to be read. I'll probably buy it on the nook I just got though :)