Which brother?

Comments

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    John
    I like them both a lot but I love John's books a little more than I love Hank's songs. John is the best writer I have ever read, and writing is kinda important to me because I am a writer.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • BH622BH622 BaltimorePosts: 128 ✭✭
    I can't bring myself to vote. Honestly, while they both post different content, I think that that's why I enjoy their videos so much. I like that Hank talks so much on the sciencey side of things, and I like that John talks on generally less technical things. I also find it hard, now that I am attempting to post something, to describe John's approach to his videos in a single term that wouldn't also describe Hank's stuff, which is kind of interesting in and of itself. 

As for their work outside the videos, I am currently half way through TFiOS, only because I stopped reading to eat yesterday and wound up having to go to before I could sit down and finish it. It is a wonderful book and I haven't been this excited to return to reading a book in a long time, which speaks volumes to me as an aspiring, albeit pretty crappy, writer. As for Hank's work, I greatly enjoy his songs and associate strongly with his enthusiasm for science.

So in the end, I'd say that I like them both equally, and that is perfectly ok with me.
    “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.” - Neil Gaiman on writing

Like martial arts? Like reading blogs about it? Not sure? Check out my brand new blog, A Warrior's Journey.
  • Hank
    I'm on a mission to make it even because that is how it should be
  • PresidentDogPresidentDog Havre de Grace, MDPosts: 21
    edited December 2013
    John
    Definitely a John guy, but I do like Hank's songs. I just find John more enjoyable to listen to on a regular basis.
    by PresidentDog
    President Dog Takes On...: It's my animation review blog!

There's nothing going on between me and Cleo, though she did let me poo in her backyard once.
  • PresidentDogPresidentDog Havre de Grace, MDPosts: 21
    John
    Definitely a John guy, but I do like Hank's songs. I just find John more enjoyable to listen to on a regular basis.
    President Dog Takes On...: It's my animation review blog!

There's nothing going on between me and Cleo, though she did let me poo in her backyard once.
  • TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    John
    I love that Hank voted for himself. 

Also, as much as I do like Hank, I don't think I'd watch Vlogbrothers if it were only him. But I do think I'd watch it if it were only John.
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    John
    Oh. My. Llama. Hank knows I exist in some ever so slightly more deep way than a number in subscriber counts! I have achieved immortality on the interwebs!
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • MyrtoMyrto Posts: 131 ✭✭
    John
    I enjoy them in videos equally but john is writer and i really look up to him so...
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Reno, NevadaPosts: 357 ✭✭✭
    John
    Both of them are equally awesome, but John's videos have a tendency toward discussing philosophy, life, and so on. 

We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

• LariDGLariDG Posts: 15
    John
    I didn't mean to click on John... My real answer is Hank!
  • TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    John

Also, as much as I do like Hank, I don't think I'd watch Vlogbrothers if it were only him. But I do think I'd watch it if it were only John.
    Well then, after subscribing to Hankschannel, I take back what I said here. I still go with John as my preferred brother, but Hank is still among my favorite YouTubers just by himself.
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • jupiterrocks24jupiterrocks24 Amestris, of course!Posts: 26
    John
    John. I just prefer his stuff, but I love hank too

"Now I see. You're jealous. You're jealous of humans aren't you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you're envious of that."

~Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

• John
    I feel like I have more in common with Hank, but John reminds me more of the people I'm really friends with, so...yea, John. One me is plenty :)
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk South Bend, IndianaPosts: 92 ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Hank
    Earlier I said I couldn't choose, but I changed my mind. I like Hank better. :-)
    by JasmineSkunk
  • TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like John is winning from the comments, but I can't actually see the poll since I can't choose. What's it look like right now?
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk South Bend, IndianaPosts: 92 ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Hank
    :-)
    John = 57%
    Hank = 43%

(How ya doing, Teaj?) I like your new avatar.
    by JasmineSkunk
  • RichardxLuRichardxLu Charlotte, NCPosts: 16
    Hank
    Hank, but it's a close call. I'm more like Hank than I am like John anyways.
    DFTBA

Richard Lu
  • Sylvia3Sylvia3 PennsylvaniaPosts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Hank
    If it weren't for Hank, I wouldn't be a nerdfighter. Maybe I'm not really a nerdfighter, just a Hankfighter. Is that a thing? 
  • jjs12012jjs12012 Groton, CtPosts: 63
    John
    John's crash course was my first glimpse to this community but Hank's sci show has become a little snack of knowledge for my brain so it was a tough decision. 
    Sylvia3 said:
    If it weren't for Hank, I wouldn't be a nerdfighter. Maybe I'm not really a nerdfighter, just a Hankfighter. Is that a thing? 
    Anything is possible but don't let the Johnfighters know about that ;)
    Which United States president is the least guilty?
    Lincoln because he was In a cent...
    DFTBA
  • JalemaJalema AlabamaPosts: 10
    edited June 2014
    Hank
    I'm a science nerd, so I tend to lean toward Hank.  John is pretty awesome too, so it's a close call.
    by Jalema
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭
    Hank
    I think both brothers are awesome in their own way but I am going to have to say Hank.  Hank's videos actually introduced me to the Vlogbrothers.  The first VB video that I watched was Hank's music video for "This Isn't Hogwarts".  I just feel like I can relate to Hank more.  John is great and I love his writing style and his books.  In fact, I wrote an essay for school about John Green.  Though right now, I just feel like that I have been listening to Hank's songs more than John's books.

I really do think that both brothers are equal in their level of awesomeness, but I think that this question is more on what people's opinions is and what they think more than who is the better brother.
  • tffny00tffny00 Posts: 6
    I won't pick. I like them both.
    While he was trying to pick which color of flowers for the flower crowns of our women: "Favorites? Likes?" What does she like.....red, but I hate that! But that would be nice color for her. "She likes red!" "No she doesn't" he looked at me "She likes you." with his mischievous smile. It is hilarious, flattering and a bit annoying so I answered "Eff you".
  • Sylvia3Sylvia3 PennsylvaniaPosts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Hank
    I really do think that both brothers are equal in their level of awesomeness, but I think that this question is more on what people's opinions is and what they think more than who is the better brother.
    Yeah. I think Hank just caught my attention first, and I watched all of his videos before watching many of John's, and I have more enthusiasm for Hank. But I started realizing that John is pretty amazing too, when I started watching his side commentary on the Hank Games channel. I don't even like sports or video games, but he talks about some interesting stuff between the excited screams. 

Also, I never say person A is better than person B, I just say I like them better. 
  • ugottafriendugottafriend Lower AlabamaPosts: 9
    edited June 2014
    Impossible to vote.

I identify with Hank because we both have a chronic systemic illness that affects our daily lives. I admire that he manages to be upbeat and hilarious in spite of how tiring it is to be sick every minute of every day. Kudos for that.

I identify with John in every possible way I can think of, from writing similar material to adoring babies to being bullied in school to social anxiety. We might as well have emerged from the same womb (even the same age). Mind you, I had no clue who he was 6 months ago. My loss as far as I'm concerned. I've learned a lot from him already.

Can I vote for the Yeti? Her art channel makes me happy to be a starving artist. :)

-Kelli
    by ugottafriend
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 608 ✭✭✭
    Hank
    Could I get two votes? Because I want to vote for both!
    The question is a bit too much to answer simply. I'm more of a book person than a music person, and TFiOS is my absolute-rereading-it-for-the-tenth-or-fifteenth-time-oh-my-god-it's-so-good-and-it-just-gets-better-every-time favourite book while I just listen to Hank's music every now and then. I do however still quietly look my fiancé's way whenever we're in the same room and I Guess it all Makes Sense at the End comes to "But I don't think that I'll ever know how much time I did or didn't spend looking into your eyes". It gives me goosebumps it's so beautiful. As for videos, I got to know about them via scishow and of course that gives me a bias towards Hank because he was the first. As for personality, I find it impossible to say, they're just both so amazing and lovely and so different and I just... I just love their videos because it's not just one of them but both. I definitely prefer the videos when they meet. :) But I can say one thing: if I'd get to meet just one of the brothers and could choose whom, I'd pick Hank. I don't know why. I'd be super jumping-and-screaming-happy if I'd get to meet John because OH MY GOD, but I find the thought of meeting Hank even more exciting. Not that I'd ever get the chance, living in little Sweden, but anyway.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • devilskinndevilskinn Cluj-Napoca, RomaniaPosts: 15
    John
    I like them both, a lot! Highly intelligent, talented, creative, nice, funny, and with amazing civic spirit. But John seems to struggle more (inwardly). Maybe it's the nature of his job, but it makes me favour him just a bit.
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭
    Hank
    Sylvia3 said:
    Yeah. I think Hank just caught my attention first, and I watched all of his videos before watching many of John's, and I have more enthusiasm for Hank. But I started realizing that John is pretty amazing too, when I started watching his side commentary on the Hank Games channel. I don't even like sports or video games, but he talks about some interesting stuff between the excited screams. 

Also, I never say person A is better than person B, I just say I like them better. 
    You explained it perfectly when you said that person A is better than person B, because it is more of who likes who better. It is more of a who likes who better than who is the superior brother (because if that were the case, then they are both equal).  I do wish people would stop saying that brother A is better than brother B because A.) They are both equally over the top awesome in different ways. And B.) because it doesn't seem like the nicest thing to do. I mean, how would you like it if someone said that your sibling was better than you?
     They are both pretty amazing to be honest.   I love John, his writing, and his enthusiasm while I love Hank for his songs and his awesome facts.  Though I do admit, I have been pretty hesitent to like John and his writing because I am uncomfortable to like (not the crush type) him with some of the mean kids at my school liking him  (which I am not going to get much into because I feel like I am kind of bragging this a little much).  But still, I love both John and Hank both.  I just kind of favor Hank more due to him introducing me to Vlogbrothers.
  • TimeLadyHufflepuffTimeLadyHufflepuff Brentwood, TN, USAPosts: 1
    John
    I personally like John more, but most days I find myself watching way more Hank than John. I don't know, I really just watch the videos and click on ones that sound interesting.
  • MinaforthewinMinaforthewin Posts: 7
    Hank
    I love Hank because I love science and his passion and gahh and I love his brother too...only a little bit less. Sorry John!
  • KatOxymoronicKatOxymoronic Calgary, AB, CanadaPosts: 23
    Its really difficult to say which brother like more. For instance I myself have a permanent chronic illness leading me to personally identify more with Hank heath-wise however I am also an aspiring author so John's story of success is one I hold close to my heart. During videos I enjoy listening to John's unique eloquence and experiences but I also love to listen to Hank's enthusiasm about things and his wonderfully uplifting nerdiness. Both brothers have done incredible things and so I would honestly say they share equal standing in my mind.