What is your personal favorite John book?

MorboMorbo Posts: 69
edited October 2013 in John's Books
I fear for Night Vale. I fear for all those caught between what they know and what they don't yet know they don't know.

What is your personal favorite John book? 226 votes

Looking For Alaska
32%
greatwhitewallollamakatsweirddrdiabetic1shaileeGiantSquidOfAwesomemattierenKatOxymoronicalfre99arnodelozoyasminwithanekjiang11DuartayChinmayT2LimpingImpemily10BlackAndBlueaccio77Avatar_HurdenJohnRiverAppropriatelyJaded 73 votes
An Abundance of Katherines
10%
TenleyNadinesingingwritingWingspanTNRRussetMellyKenLibertyNerd25Rocket_For_Apollocmmatzatchameleonareemmlee_redhead_06mekiro34loonierthanlunanickg765m83justanotherguy45KGB_the_Russian_SpyPramitanyaspaizVioletBaudalaireQurestionAsker215 23 votes
Paper Towns
18%
clausitLiljaArgonianDovakinclaraoswaldLyriconRolloonaveryislandstraightupcheesemeganpdstrukbylightninAyhamsCyberplannermutantninjalapenoMakebelieve_izy200LaceyPuptoxicparadoxNerdWriterFightermargo_wannabemanateesrock 41 votes
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
5%
Marijaccteen3AnnieCneon_charliephilwraysonStrawberryFieldsNoelfox_ladycandycainThe-Artist-Incognitobooknerd86aaalexxx 12 votes
The Fault in Our Stars
32%
leonwingsteinturdl38BananaBatAsparagus515JustinSwanBaileyanything_but_averageamazingaileen13AmazingGraceoceanpotionjeffery9200DominiquemarineitnerdSearchingForAwesomethatnerdydrummergirlTitusMoodyrokuriLuiCAcousticMadietheNerdConorhickey0 73 votes
Let It Snow
1%
Floo_Powder_PowerLuke_Earl_MolleFangirlKoda 3 votes
Zombicorns
0%
Morbo 1 vote

Comments

• MorboMorbo Posts: 69
    Zombicorns
    Okay, I'd change my answer to Will Grayson, Will Grayson if I could.
    I fear for Night Vale. I fear for all those caught between what they know and what they don't yet know they don't know.
  • LimpingImpLimpingImp Posts: 6
    Looking For Alaska
    I can't reread The Fault In Our Stars because I can't bear the sadness I feel knowing what happens in the book.

It doesn't make me cry. It makes me reject it because the tragedy feels so real that I cant stand going through it a second time.  Words on a page have never had this effect on me before.
  • claraoswaldclaraoswald Hogwarts Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Paper Towns
    paper towns for sure, after reading them all its paper towns that i connected with most (closely fallowed by LfA) i feel really close to Margo, and lets face it; if nothing else the book is worth reading for the road trip and the black santas alone.

_.•__WE THINK TOO MUCH AND FEEL TOO LITTLE. 

(_______. + ‘ ¯ ‘ +.

_‘ + . _ .  ‘ ____•._))

• amazingaileen13amazingaileen13 FloridaPosts: 12
    The Fault in Our Stars
    Perhaps it's because of the fact that TFiOS is recent and the movie is coming out next year and all the excitement, but I think my personal favorite is TFiOS. I believe I enjoyed it most after finishing all his books. It made me, excuse the Internet/Tumblr speak, FEEL ALL THE THINGS. I love things that can make me laugh, cry, reflect on my life and the world that I live in, and make me want to be a better person/me. It's dear to me for reasons I can't exactly explain or understand.
  • AppropriatelyJadedAppropriatelyJaded CascadiaPosts: 2
    Looking For Alaska
    I know that so many people love TFiOS, and I liked it too, but it's probably one of my least favorites of John's books. I liked Looking for Alaska because there was so little closure in it. I hate how so much of our media overloads us with the false pretense that life provides closure, answers, and reasoning. Real life isn't like that, and Looking for Alaska shows it. For days after I finished it, I kept wanting to continue reading, but I couldn't. The book was done.
  • The Fault in Our Stars
    Never heard of let it snow :/ also havn't read will grayson will grayson yet :L
  • strukbylightninstrukbylightnin Southern CaliforniaPosts: 331 ✭✭
    Paper Towns
    I simply fell in love with Paper Towns. I love John Green's books, but Paper Towns just really stuck with me...Looking for Alaska would be second, though.
  • amazingaileen13amazingaileen13 FloridaPosts: 12
    The Fault in Our Stars
    @Conorhickey0 Let It Snow is the holiday book he wrote with Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle. I personally haven't read it, but I am planning to since the holidays are approaching. :)
  • accio77accio77 USAPosts: 9
    Looking For Alaska
    I love all of them, but LFA is definitely my favorite.  It was so raw and realistic, and as sad as it was, I loved reading it.

But LFA is followed closely by TFiOS and Will Grayson, Will Grayson :)
    "I will love myself despite the ease with which I lean toward the opposite."
    - Shane Koyczan
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    The Fault in Our Stars
    TFIOS, I think mostly because I identify with it so strongly, but Will Grayson is a close second.  I like the others, but not with the same zeal and umm...likelihood to recommend them...as those first 2.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • Paper Towns
    Paper Towns doesn't get as much love as it deserves...All of the philosophical questions raised by Margot, and the whole mystery of it, kept me turning the pages more than any of his others...Looking For Alaska is a close second because it's real. It's not polished to make the kids look better. They do bad things, but we love them as we read it. Will Grayson is probably 3rd... 
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    Let It Snow
    Really people, on both of the threads asking what your favorite John book was, I am the only one who thought it was Let it Snow. Do you really not see the awesomeness threaded into the pages? His part in it was completely my favorite. It was awesome. I read it and it ended the exact way I wanted it to on the first page.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • WingspanTNRWingspanTNR Iowa, USPosts: 116 ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Really people, on both of the threads asking what your favorite John book was, I am the only one who thought it was Let it Snow. Do you really not see the awesomeness threaded into the pages? His part in it was completely my favorite. It was awesome. I read it and it ended the exact way I wanted it to on the first page.

While my favorite of John's books is Katherines, I do have to say that Let It Snow is definitely in third place behind Alaska. All of John's books are awesome, but those three are his best. I'll be rereading Let It Snow for the holidays soon, so DFTBA everyone.
    by WingspanTNR
  • RussetRusset Posts: 11
    My favourite book would have to be An Abundance of Katherines. It's funny and nostalgic and at times tragic, yet I can relate to it most. I can't really relate well to the delinquents and pranksters otherwise. Also, Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska seems to me at times eerily similar. They are different in a few ways, but other than that, they could be duplications. 
    I hope I'll be able to acquire a copy of Let it Snow sometime soon!
    Let It Snow
    I did love all of his books, but Let it Snow hit me different, then even Katherines. Katherines hit me differently than any book ever has, and until I read Let it Snow it was my favorite, but then Let it snow hit me harder, and in a different way, and it stole my mind.
  • Looking For Alaska
    Looking for Alaska is my favorite because I love Pudge and Alaska and the Colonel and Takumi as if they were my own friends. I find a little of myself or my friends in them, and reading about these people made me feel at home. And just like Pudge, I went to a new school and wanted to find a Great Perhaps for myself, something that I could actually do to make a difference or mean something. Also, all of the labyrinth and suffering stuff really connected with me, and I sat in one of my classes after a test bawling because of this book. I love it with all my heart and protect my copy as if it were my own child. LfA means more than I can say to me.
    "The world is not a wish-granting factory." -TFiOS
  • MyriamorMyriamor Posts: 8
    The Fault in Our Stars
    This is such a hard question and I think my answer would literally switch depending on the day. Today, I would say that TFIOS is my favorite, but I'm ambivalent about that decision because I also loved LFA. Both books took me through a roller coaster and ended up on both occasions with  me throwing my book across the room because of how emotional the book made me. Clearly, they both are great in my opinion, but I think the depth of TFIOS wins the battle for me today.
  • TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    The Fault in Our Stars
    I'm surprised Will Grayson isn't getting more love. It's my personal #2 spot. Maybe it's one that everybody likes, but nobody loves.
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • mutantninjalapenomutantninjalapeno Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Paper Towns
    i'm not sure why, but paper towns was the one i was most engaged with.
  • Mary_FreshMary_Fresh Bowling Green, KYPosts: 108 ✭✭
    The Fault in Our Stars
    I know that so many people love TFiOS, and I liked it too, but it's probably one of my least favorites of John's books. I liked Looking for Alaska because there was so little closure in it. I hate how so much of our media overloads us with the false pretense that life provides closure, answers, and reasoning. Real life isn't like that, and Looking for Alaska shows it. For days after I finished it, I kept wanting to continue reading, but I couldn't. The book was done.
    See, I totally love PIZZZAA that doesn't resolve. That's part of what I loved about TIFIOS. That's also what I loved about Paper Towns. John Green is good at this - at leaving us with All the Feelings at the end without tying up everything so tidily. 

Meredith
    run - vegan - coffee - read - write - YOLO
    KY PROUD
  • Floo_Powder_PowerFloo_Powder_Power GallifreyPosts: 86 ✭✭
    Let It Snow
    TFiOS was definitely one of my favorites, but I feel like everyone chooses that, so I chose Let it Snow. I read it (mainly because of John's part in it) but then I discovered Maureen Johnson in reading, and yeah. Awesome stuff like that.
    Let It Snow
    TFiOS was definitely one of my favorites, but I feel like everyone chooses that, so I chose Let it Snow. I read it (mainly because of John's part in it) but then I discovered Maureen Johnson in reading, and yeah. Awesome stuff like that.
    Finally, another person who chose Let it Snow, from what I could tell, I was the only one who loved it.
  • MellyKenMellyKen TorontoPosts: 22
    edited January 2014
    TFIOS was the first one I read, so at first thought I would have said it was my favourite. But after really thinking about it I'd say it was a tie between An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns. Although the ending for Katherines was way more satisfying for me than Paper Towns was. Funnily enough I read Looking for Alaska last and several people told me it would be my favourite, yet four days after reading it I'm still not sure how I feel.
    by MellyKen
    “We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” ― Dr. Seuss
  • Looking For Alaska
    I pulled an all nighter reading Looking for Alaska so I really could not put it down
    I liked WG WG and Katherines but LFA still trumps
     (havn't read PT or TFiOS yet so my answer might change)
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,905 ✭✭✭
    Paper Towns
    TFIOS made me cry and Katherines I thought was well... meh.

Paper Towns though as a novel, I think has the best structure about it and chases the central concept (that so much of people is fake and that everyone's version of people aren't necessarily who they actually are) better than the other novels.

I still tend to think though that Q, Colin and Hazel are a little bit too one dimensional for my liking. Margo in Paper Towns seems to be the best developed character of all the books I've read. It is very much also the fact that I'm not really the target audience.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • AnnieCAnnieC PortugalPosts: 7
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson
    I just love Will Grayson Will Grayson. It's just like the best book that I've ever read. It took me like a week to realize that I really did finished the book. I'm so addicted to it, I can't even say how thankful I am for John write it.
  • BaileyBailey New England, USAPosts: 37 ✭✭
    The Fault in Our Stars
    I had to pick TFIOS for the sheer amount of emotion. All of the books are amazing, of course.
    balailey.blogspot.com 

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/wj76/bring-emily-back-to-good-health <-- Please share this site for my friend! She's in pain and needs your help. This is an authorized GiveForward fundraiser.
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Reno, NevadaPosts: 357 ✭✭✭
    The best John Green book for me is Looking for Alaska, but my personal favorite (and the one I can most connect with) is An Abundance of Katherines. I can connect with Colin's social "dilemmas" and many of his characterisitcs. 
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

• GrammarGingerGrammarGinger Posts: 10
    Looking For Alaska
    I just finished TFIOS last night, which means I've read all the books in the box set (PT, LfA, AAoK, and TFIOS). Looking for Alaska is my favorite. I have a feeling TFIOS would have been my favorite if I had not been spoiled on the ending/all the famous quotes (which is completely, 100% my own fault, but I prefer to blame Tumblr). I bawled like a baby at Looking for Alaska, and I will cherish that book and reread it as much as possible.
    Grammar & Other Life Rules - a vlog about how weird and awesome the English language is
  • jlhghs21jlhghs21 Posts: 14
    Looking For Alaska
    I read The Fault in Our Stars first- it was the first time I'd ever even heard of John Green and I loved it. Then I read Looking for Alaska and I felt my heart commit to it. So yeah, then I read all of them, found the YouTube channel, and here I am. My only wish is I could have found this place sooner.