Girlfriend in Canada?

meg4nerdmeg4nerd Posts: 86 ✭✭
After today's question and answer video is anyone else doubting the authenticity of Ricky's fiancé? I might be totally wrong about this but a shy girlfriend in Canada sounds a little fishy. Maybe he and someone else is hiding something that was in the book.
Charlotte and Rickey start/are dating <3
«1

Comments

  • meg4nerdmeg4nerd Posts: 86 ✭✭
    @thepiratequeenkt Exactly! Canada is where fake girlfriends live. (Unless you are from Canada and then the fake girlfriends live in New York/Miami/some California city) 
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    There's even a TVtrope for this. I'm suspicious as well!
  • nedamarienedamarie Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

    Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    lover of peace, hope, and Jennifer. 
  • KatelynKatelyn Posts: 22
    Yeah, I've been unsure for a while but after today's video I am seriously doubting it, the way he paused and freaked out when the fiancee was mentioned, and then mentioned she was shy and tried to quickly change the topic.. since when does Collins quickly stop talking about anything?
    The world belongs to those who show up.
  • IgorIgor Posts: 112 ✭✭
    nedamarie said:

    Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    Let's keep it PG lest the mods get mad at us!  ;)
    Blame it on the stars
  • AnaAna Posts: 22
    OMG!!! It'll be SO EPIC!!! (if you know what I mean...)


    Nerdfighter Ana froBrazil!!!
  • someday42someday42 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Jaime is obviously suspect, I think the shy girlfriend in Canada, which as you guys pointed out never exists, is just a way to preserve continuity.
    Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.
    --The Doctor
    image
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    @Katelyn Ahahaaaa that is so true. If Rick- ahem, Mr. Collins stops talking about something, then there's definitely something suspicious going on :O

    Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

  • evaperevaper Posts: 7
    I am pretty suspicious, too. But if Mr. Collins is lying to us, he must be somehow lying to himself, too. Collins wouldn't knowingly lie about this, but he may well have deluded himself into believing in his relationship with the Canadian girl. Which means there would have to be a pretty funny story of how he convinced himself that she was not only dating him, but actually planning to marry him.
  • I share your suspiciousness! Mr. Collins appeared to be a little too cryptic about his fiancée in the last Q&A. I began to wonder - what if he wasn't actually engaged but simply dating someone (or convinced that he was dating someone) though insisted on saying "fiancée" instead of "girlfriend" since the latter doesn't sound old-fashioned enough for him :P Hopefully there's some interesting story to this & we'll find out soon :D
  • sashlerysashlery Posts: 53
    I definitely share your suspicion, but I  don't necessarily think that there's NO ONE in the picture. Jamie is a very gender neutral name after all.

    Although I had a dream a few nights ago that the Girlfriend in Canada wasn't so much a cover up to being single, or to having a hot maple syrup covered boyfriend, but for the epic love affair Ricky was engaging in with Charlotte. It was an odd dream, to say the least.
    Basically the human embodiment of a blobfish.
  • theoncomingrivertheoncomingriver Posts: 61
    edited November 2012
    I think it's one of the following things:

    -Jamie's a boy.
    -Cover-up for another relationship
    with Charlotte.
     

    Things I don't think it is:

    -Mr. Collins actually has a very shy girlfriend/fiancee in Canada. 

    I love the point @Katelyn made. If he was actually in love with her, I'm sure that he wouldn't shut up about her!

    He talks about Charlotte much more than Jamie! ;)
    by theoncomingriver
  • KneazleRoseKneazleRose Posts: 11
    Everyone's talking about theories that involve Ricky with Charlotte, but didn't he talk about having a fiancee from the beginning? I doubt he would get with Charlotte so quickly or that she wouldn't tell Lizzie. For that matter, why keep it a secret? No, I don't see Collins as anything more than a business partner to Charlotte, or the other way around. I admit Jaimie's fishy, but I can't think of what it could really be.
    "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.... But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”
    -Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped
  • meg4nerdmeg4nerd Posts: 86 ✭✭
    @sashlery I'm not saying girlfriend in Canada is a cover up to being single, I am saying I believe there is something a little more cannon going on. 
    @theoncomingriver exactly! Also side note i love your avatar.
    @KeazleRose Good point. But I do feel like Charlotte would hide a relationship with Ricky because at the time they got together Charlotte was feeling a bit like Lizzie was using her and now she is to scared to say hey Lizzie....I've been dating Ricky..... I made you cookies! 
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    Also, Mr. Collins has never been one to talk about his personal life in these diaries.  But they wouldn't have him say that he has a girlfriend who lives in Canada if they didn't mean for us to question it.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • KneazleRoseKneazleRose Posts: 11
    JUST HAD AN EPIPHANY. What if instead of being with Charlotte, Collins is really with Maria? Maria called him "Ricky" when he makes everyone else call him "Mr. Collins" and maybe that's why he was so nice to give he a job and stuff, aside from it being a favor to Charlotte.
    "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.... But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”
    -Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped
  • claracmdclaracmd Posts: 14
    I think that Collins is in love with Mary. That's about it.
    ''Darcy has the social skills of an agoraphobic lobster''
  • CahLacCahLac Posts: 8
    @KneazleRose I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TOO!  
    I don't remember right now what made me wonder that, but that would be SO cool!!

    What I still don't get is why he'd be hiding it...
  • MarielleMaddenMarielleMadden Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    @CahLac I could see why he would. A torrid romance with a doe-eyed young intern? Why, the scandal! The lack of professionalism! Mister Collins would not abide by it. Not unless he fell in love, of course, and couldn't help it... ;P
    You can just call me Elle, it sounds much friendlier~!
    [my tumblr image my youtube]

  • CahLacCahLac Posts: 8
    @MarielleMadden You've got a pretty good point there. And I guess Charlotte would be super mad, too. And another fun fact is that Maria was the first to mention that Collins had a girlfriend/fiancée.
    Well, I don't know. Let's wait and see. :D
  • Litnerd22Litnerd22 Posts: 5
    Igor said:
    nedamarie said:

    Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    Let's keep it PG lest the mods get mad at us!  ;)
    Didn't you guys hear she came down for a visit last week?  She was going to be in a video, but she had the flu. :(  Poor thing was in bed the whole time.
  • KatelynKatelyn Posts: 22
    Well, what about the fact that in P&P ...
    Collins refused to accept the concept of Lizzie not being interested right away? The writers could be playing that up in a more modern way, with whoever the mystery lover is not reciprocating but he's in denial.


    The only reason I have a hard time believing the Charlotte thing is because he has had his "fiancee" from the start. Maria is an interesting idea; a creative leap from the idea in P&P ...
    that Charlotte is just settling for practicality and doesn't love him, he likely doesn't love her, and they're doomed long-term for happiness. He could be looking for happiness elsewhere. But that would seem off since Charlotte and him have a business relationship and his fiancee wold be romantic. Unless Collins is no longer content with such a business attitude in life. That and there isn't much support for this in the book, it really would be a leap.
     

    So yeah, the only thing that's really panning out is that Jamie is a guy. I'm really stumped on this one.
    The world belongs to those who show up.
  • KneazleRoseKneazleRose Posts: 11
    Katelyn said:
    Well, what about the fact that in P&P ...
    Collins refused to accept the concept of Lizzie not being interested right away? The writers could be playing that up in a more modern way, with whoever the mystery lover is not reciprocating but he's in denial.


    The only reason I have a hard time believing the Charlotte thing is because he has had his "fiancee" from the start. Maria is an interesting idea; a creative leap from the idea in P&P ...
    that Charlotte is just settling for practicality and doesn't love him, he likely doesn't love her, and they're doomed long-term for happiness. He could be looking for happiness elsewhere. But that would seem off since Charlotte and him have a business relationship and his fiancee wold be romantic. Unless Collins is no longer content with such a business attitude in life. That and there isn't much support for this in the book, it really would be a leap.
     

    So yeah, the only thing that's really panning out is that Jamie is a guy. I'm really stumped on this one.
    I totally know what you mean (around the second spoiler) but they do like to take creative liberties against the book. Maria Lucas was simply mentioned in the book, but Maria Lu is a character we all care about. The same with Charlotte. Charlotte Lucas was barely mentioned, and when she was it was only as Lizzie's friends that lives down the street
    Or that that she's visiting at her new home with her new husband Mr. Collins
    I know Charlotte really hasn't been where she shouldn't be yet, but you can see they're making her a much bigger character and I find it hard to believe they and the fans would so easily get used to not seeing her
    when Lizzie goes to Pemberly and such
    Just because of that I don't think we can expect everything that goes on with the Lu's to be exactly like the book.
    "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.... But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”
    -Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped
  • DewdewDewdew Posts: 25
    CahLac said:

    @MarielleMadden You've got a pretty good point there. And I guess Charlotte would be super mad, too. And another fun fact is that Maria was the first to mention that Collins had a girlfriend/fiancée.
    Well, I don't know. Let's wait and see. :D

    Actually the first mention of Ricky having a fiancee was when Lizzie told a story of how she proposed to him when they were kids, and her mother being upset because now Ricky was engaged.
  • nedamarienedamarie Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Litnerd22 said:
    Igor said:
    nedamarie said:

    Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    Let's keep it PG lest the mods get mad at us!  ;)
    Didn't you guys hear she came down for a visit last week?  She was going to be in a video, but she had the flu. :(  Poor thing was in bed the whole time.
    It's so sad, there wasn't a single THING she could do-- 

    I love how there's a serious discussion going on and we're just hanging out here, cracking Avenue Q jokes. 
    lover of peace, hope, and Jennifer. 
  • DewdewDewdew Posts: 25
    @nedamarie I expect that will become the norm here at nerdfighteria.
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    nedamarie said:
    Litnerd22 said:
    Igor said:
    nedamarie said:

    Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    Let's keep it PG lest the mods get mad at us!  ;)
    Didn't you guys hear she came down for a visit last week?  She was going to be in a video, but she had the flu. :(  Poor thing was in bed the whole time.
    It's so sad, there wasn't a single THING she could do-- 

    I love how there's a serious discussion going on and we're just hanging out here, cracking Avenue Q jokes. 
    Ricky's so talkative he must email her every single day, just to make sure everything is OK.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • nedamarienedamarie Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Really... it's a pity she lives so far away 
    in
    CANADA!!! 

    ps: if any of the TLBD writers are reading this -- you guys get bonus points for including an Avenue Q reference in a future episode. Ha.
    lover of peace, hope, and Jennifer. 
Sign In or Register to comment.