Girlfriend in Canada?

2»

Comments

• LunaticLOVEgoodLunaticLOVEgood Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I don't know, I'm torn between being really interested in what happens next with collins and being scared of knowing because I'm extremely pro canon :/
  • KneazleRoseKneazleRose Posts: 11
    I don't know, I'm torn between being really interested in what happens next with collins and being scared of knowing because I'm extremely pro canon :/
    But there was never really a romance between Charlotte and Collins. She married him for a comfortable home and was happy because she got it, and he was far too enamored by Lady Catherine to care who he married. They barely saw each other during the day, and they were perfectly happy. If we're going with canon then Collins would have no love interest, but seeing as there was something there to make us all suspicious, there's going to more too it. There must be. Right?

"Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.... But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”
    -Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped
  • essessessess Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Knyx said:

nedamarie said:
    Litnerd22 said:
    Igor said:
    nedamarie said:

Igor said:
    It would be even more suspicious if her name was Alberta and she lived in Vancouver. 
    even more so if she cooked like his mother and -- 
    you know. 
    keeping it family-friendly here. 
    Let's keep it PG lest the mods get mad at us!  ;)
    Didn't you guys hear she came down for a visit last week?  She was going to be in a video, but she had the flu. :(  Poor thing was in bed the whole time.
    It's so sad, there wasn't a single THING she could do-- 

I love how there's a serious discussion going on and we're just hanging out here, cracking Avenue Q jokes. 
    Ricky's so talkative he must email her every single day, just to make sure everything is OK.
    I'm sure Ricky will soon be off to Jamie Lake soon to visit Candy... I MEAN CANADA TO VISIT JAMIE!
    by essess
    Rapunzel guised Kat of the Last Ones.
    "Solvi keeps pitching his best flirtations and [Kat] just keeps knocking them back at him with a heavy dose of surrealism." - Echo

• ZacharySeptimusZacharySeptimus Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Every time Mr. Collins starts talking about his "girlfriend in Canada," my girlfriend shouts at the screen, "GAAAAAAAAAY."
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    I'm just really curious what Ricky walked in on to make him learn to knock!  Why did Lizzie have to cut him off? lol I think some of the things running through my head are way exaggerated of what could have possibly happened!
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    imarielle said:
    I'm just really curious what Ricky walked in on to make him learn to knock!  Why did Lizzie have to cut him off? lol I think some of the things running through my head are way exaggerated of what could have possibly happened!
    I hope some of the things in my head are exaggerated.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • timeywimeytimeywimey Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Avenue Q references? I love you guys.

It would be amusing if he ACTUALLY had a girlfriend in Winnipeg and this is an inverted trope.
    It's like I'm being tied to the hood of a yellow rental truck being packed in with fertilizer--and fuel oil--pushed over a cliff by a suicidal Mickey Mouse!

• forgettingitsthereforgettingitsthere CanadaPosts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

It would be amusing if he ACTUALLY had a girlfriend in Winnipeg and this is an inverted trope.

It would be different, I can't think of any situations where that has happened (though there must be one, I mean there are girls in Canada).

Now, part of me really wants to there to be an episode where Ricky just bursts in, "Ah, Ms. Bennet, I see your filming once more. Excellent! I would be delighted if I could introduce you to my lovely fiancée." And then this gorgeous lady (because all ladies are gorgeous, as are all people) walks in wearing all this Canada related clothing.

Part of me still wants him to be making it up. Because tropes are nice sometimes.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” 

- George R.R. Martin

• lovelove Posts: 6
    I recall Hank or maybe Bernie saying that Ricky's role was adjusted greatly to fit modern times--we don't marry strictly for creature comforts anymore in western societies and family sizes are quite healthily diminished with birth control so they ditched the things that in that time were okay (like it wouldn't be as normal now to have a presumed arms wide open acceptance of him, ESPECIALLY to wed, as a never-known cousin I believe he is in the book? Or maybe that's only in a dramatization I saw-lots of P&P over the decades so I think they created a way to functionally put the same number of people in the book in a geographically sensible area with London swapped for LA and so on)... Instead of proposing marriage to create the financial comfort, now that women can work almost everywhere he's instead offering that fiscal security via a job to Lizzie then Charlotte... He's always struck me as gay or maybe just asexual in the book and not at all in want of a wife-the lady who secures his position in society is who wants him wed and suggests someone useful... Anyway now women get financially secure by working, status marks your social circle but doesn't quite mean doom and devastation etc. so Lizzie refusing his offer, Charlotte taking it keeps one from her more poor Asian immigrant family's "close as we have to smart but disadvantaged" deep student debt and such-were she just another white girl whose family only lacked wealth here it wouldn't create a life of SUCH hardship as Charlotte was predisposed to in the original (ie 1st generation American is as close as we get to being destined for low class living-they aren't staying true to the text because that'd be really unrealistic in the era of vlogs etc-they're adapting ie story's key elements of class and pride and integrity and such to now-the job offer's today's equivalent of a man offering to marry a less fortunate woman in that era and with cars and emergency care they had to think of a proper way to get two sisters stuck at Netherfield with the rest of the story untold but now given fresh options and the interconnected nature of Lydia having her own voice... I'm not sure why there's a Canadian girlfriend unless that's how they get him out of the way from time to time so the story can progress in line with the narrative... I think maybe he's either going to be gay or just really socially naive and taking things more seriously than they should be... She could also be-in splendid Winnipeg-gaming him big time. Heck she may be a pole dancer or transgender prostitute on a meth bender when he's away. :) I doubt that-it'll stay PG- but wouldn't be upset were they to include some crazy story.
    I imagined him walking in to see either someone on a toilet or otherwise nude since I know in one or another version(admittedly I am quicker to watch the BBC 1995 version than pull out my dusty copy from a literal 2decades past-some OLD people here lol) the priest Collins was terrified of a sister in only her petticoat&corset or slip(room after arriving, casually walking the halls around the girls' rooms).
  • nargleynargley Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Knyx said:
    imarielle said:
    I hope some of the things in my head are exaggerated.
    Glad to see I'm rubbing off on you.

Anyways, while I don't have a full theory of my own, I did notice that in one episode, he talked about going to Canada to do something work related, and when Lizzie added in that he also went to see his fiancee, he was like, "Oh. Yeah. That too." He seemed almost as if he didn't care about her, which could possibly be because of @love's theory that he is asexual. Either way, I'm very intrigued and excited to see where Ricky's story goes. (:
    "The world may be broken, but hope is not crazy."
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Based off of just TLBD and not the books, I don't think that Jamie is a fake fiancee or anything. I don't see Ricky making up a fake fiancee, I can see the high school version of him have a fake girlfriend but not the Ricky we know. What's he going to do, break up his fake engagement before he has to have a fake wedding and people find out that it was a lie? I think that there IS something fishy about Jamie though. We're obviously not getting the whole story. : )
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    I thought at first that Jamie would just not be important, and it was just a throwaway joke in many ways.  But, with the repeated references, I feel like they must be important.  How exactly it ties in with P&P plot I have no idea.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • DrWatsonDrWatson Posts: 28 ✭✭
    As soon as I read this thread title I immediately thought of Avenue Q. Mr Collins, methinks you are hiding something...
    "That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt' - John Green

'Dude! No edge!!' - Hank Green
  • DoctorDonna20DoctorDonna20 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    The girlfriend/fiance is definitely fake... I think. It would be am awesome twist if she was fake and something was going on with Collins and charlotte...
  • meg4nerdmeg4nerd Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Just saw a comment on youtube saying Fitz might be Collin's Canadian girlfriend. Any thoughts?
  • meg4nerd said:
    Just saw a comment on youtube saying Fitz might be Collin's Canadian girlfriend. Any thoughts?
    I doubt that. In one of the episodes it said that Fitz invited Lizzie to have dinner with him and his boyfriend. If it was a secret relationship, that wouldn't have happened. 
  • QablunaQabluna Posts: 13
    The Fitz/Gigi conversations on twitter named Fitz' boyfriend (Brandon).
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I will say that he did learn to knock from walking in on his fiancé using the restroom, so I think she is real.
  • OuijaWarpOuijaWarp Posts: 8
    Even if the fiance is a cover-up for something, I doubt that Ricky and Charlotte have anything going on. In the book, Charlotte didn't actually like Mr. Collins all that much, and was occasionally described as being embarrassed by him. And she doesn't seem to like him a whole lot in the LBD either. 

It could very well be that there's something about the fiance that he's trying to hide from Ms. de Bourgh. It might be that the fiance is a guy, or it could something else... I'm not sure what, though.
  • makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    meg4nerd said:
    After today's question and answer video is anyone else doubting the authenticity of Ricky's fiancé? I might be totally wrong about this but a shy girlfriend in Canada sounds a little fishy. Maybe he and someone else is hiding something that was in the book.
    Charlotte and Rickey start/are dating <3
    Noooooo!!!! When are Charlotte and Ricky shown to be dating?? </3

“Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton