Any Ice Hockey Nerdfighters?

I play Ice hockey, and I want to find other nerdfighters who play or are fans of it. 

Comments

• BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Well, I am a fan of the NHL when there is an actual season to watch. Currently, I am scrounging for highlights from the AHL, KHL and/or minor hockey leagues.
  • christinachristina Posts: 41
    I played for part of middle and high school, but then my school cut the program because we didn't have enough people for a team. 

I didn't have the time for a club team. I also probably couldn't have made one because I sucked and just had fun. Hockey is a big deal at my school, so any sort of IM team would be full of people who couldn't make a DI team. 
    I'm sad to say that I haven't even put on a pair of skates in a long long time. 

• bluetoes591bluetoes591 Posts: 4
    I play rec hockey once a week. Big fan of the game in general, though the lack of NHL currently is cramping my style.
  • kelseyma4kelseyma4 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I am a huge fan of hockey, but I can't actually ice skate. Well, I can but it normally doesn't turn out very pretty. 

The only thing getting me through the NHL drama is the fact that I am out of the country right now, and whether it was on or not I wouldn't be able to watch it until I get home in December. 

What team(s) do you all support? I am a huge Red Wings fan, and my second favorite team is the Canucks. 
  • EconovusEconovus Posts: 91
    I play grass hockey, but I've always been interested in ice hockey. I can skate okay, but my skating ability would probably hold me back :/
    kelseyma4 said:

What team(s) do you all support? I am a huge Red Wings fan, and my second favorite team is the Canucks. 
    I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I am a huge Leafs fan. Besides Toronto though, I also like following the Jets, the Blues, the Flyers, and (hopefully!) the Nordiques again soon. 
  • I'm a Sharks fan. I know, I know. 
    The NHL lockout is killing me.
    Are you a Sharks fan in California or abroad @sallyslytherin? I'd love to go see a game at the Shark Tank - it's one of the best arenas in the league from a fan's perspective.
  • YossarianYossarian Posts: 44
    edited November 2012
    One of my great regrets in life is never having learned how to ice skate. Alas, I became a fan of hockey far too late. And was born far too late, since I've never seen my Islanders win a playoff series.
    by Yossarian
    @Yossarian Oh no, an Isles fan? I am sorry for your loss of $67.5 million over 15 years. 

Did you see the news about them moving to the Barclay's Centre in 2015?
    @Yossarian Oh no, an Isles fan? I am sorry for your loss of $67.5 million over 15 years. 

Did you see the news about them moving to the Barclay's Centre in 2015?
    Of course. And as a Long Islander living in the city for the foreseeable future, I love it.
  • ElroElro Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I'm a huge hockey fan but as a European I have any particular geographic allegiance to any team and as San Francisco doesn't have an NHL team, I support the New Jersey Devils almost entirely because Martin Brodeur plays for them.
    @Yossarian Yeah, I think it's a pretty good move overall. The new building will be smaller than Nassau Coliseum, but that could be a good thing since it'll be easier to fill up.

@Elro Marty is a legend. Pure and simple. You just can't go wrong with him. As for a San Francisco team, might I recommend the San Francisco Bulls? They play in the ECHL and are an affiliate of the Sharks - they even have Ryane Clowe playing for them right now due to the lockout. 
    @Yossarian Yeah, I think it's a pretty good move overall. The new building will be smaller than Nassau Coliseum, but that could be a good thing since it'll be easier to fill up.

@Elro Marty is a legend. Pure and simple. You just can't go wrong with him. As for a San Francisco team, might I recommend the San Francisco Bulls? They play in the ECHL and are an affiliate of the Sharks - they even have Ryane Clowe playing for them right now due to the lockout. 
    Go Seals!
  • @Belisarius I'm from the Bay Area. Games in the Shark Tank are so amazing. It gets so loud you can barely hear yourself. Plus the food is excellent. 
  • I love watching hockey, but I can't skate to save my life, so no playing it for me. I'm personally a Blackhawks fan because I live quite close to Chicago. Originally for Christmas I was going to get my dad tickets to see a game at the United Center and then the lockout happened. This lockout is slowly killing me. 

"We have no need of comfy chairs." 
    So, with the NHL lockout looming ever-larger, has anyone been able to follow any other hockey leagues in the interim? Or have you moved on to other sports?
  • ElroElro Posts: 100 ✭✭
    So, with the NHL lockout looming ever-larger, has anyone been able to follow any other hockey leagues in the interim? Or have you moved on to other sports?
    ESPN have been showing some KHL over here although it's not quite the same as watching the NHL. But I still have soccer, rugby, F1, NFL, basketball and so many other sports to keep me going if it does turn into a lockout.  :D
    @Elro Sadly, I have a feeling we may indeed be heading for a full-season lockout. Hopefully the negotiations go well tonight and over the next few days, but realistically I don't see things changing very much any time soon.
    As the lockout continues, I figure some people here might like this article/video about a competition the Minnesota Wild had to find their next "emergency" goalie. It's a pretty neat story.

• JCorduroyJCorduroy Posts: 10
    Played goalie for years, until I broke my ankle and had to have most of it replaced. Still adore the game - even without any NHL - but it's given me more reason to support our local ECHL team! Go Orlando Solar Bears!
  • LaurenJaaayLaurenJaaay Posts: 28
    GO CANUCKS GO! GO CANUCKS GO!

Unfortunately/luckily I live in the UK so I've missed a lot of the NHL drama, but I still miss the atmosphere in Vancouver on a big game day. Damn, I wish I could skate.
    “Books are cool, but knowledge without mileage doesn't mean anything to me.” 
    ― Henry Rollins
  • LishwaLishwa Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    by Lishwa

Blasdgghghkafh!!

Hockey is back! 

• SamLoopzSamLoopz Posts: 13
    Yay! hockey playing nerdfighters :) I'm canadian (such a stereotype) and has probably an unhealthy obsession with the game. Probably the only thing good that came out the team executives' moneygrab...
    Welcome, @SamLoopz! It's always nice to see another hockey fan in here. Are there any teams you support in particular?
  • SamLoopzSamLoopz Posts: 13
    Well I'm from Montreal, so the Canadiens... I picked the Lightning in my pool so I must root for them... I also like the sens and the preds...
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I love hockey!  And I have a cousin who plays for the Junior Steelheads team in Idaho.  He scored a hattrick in his first scouted game last week and I'm super proud of him!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Oh, PS I support the Avalanche (sad this season) and the Penguins in the NHL.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • SophosleyghSophosleygh Posts: 7
    HOW 'BOUT THE BLACKHAWKS?!?!?!

I like hockey, if you couldn't tell, my dad got me into it about 7-8 years ago. Been a Blackhawks fan ever since.
    I play clarinet and sing, read and play video games, watch hockey and play scholastic bowl. Feel free to talk to me if you ever feel so compelled!

Want to hear a really great choral piece?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmCc-eHCeU