Any Ice Hockey Nerdfighters?

2»

Comments

• BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    @Sophosleygh No kidding! The Blackhawks are on a serious tear so far. They've all been pretty close games though, so I am expecting one to go the other way fairly soon. I mean, it has to happen at some point, right? 

@turdl38 Oh neat, I wasn't even aware there was a league in Idaho - although I shouldn't be too surprised. Congrats to your cousin though! 
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    There's a minor (ECHL) league team that's been there in Boise for...I dunno...several years.  At least since the 1999-2000 season, but I think slightly longer.  My cousin travels all over to play...Been to at least Utah and Montana since Christmas.  He's only 13, so it'll be several years before we see him going pro or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up with minimally some pretty sweet scholarships through hockey.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • SophosleyghSophosleygh Posts: 7
    @Sophosleygh No kidding! The Blackhawks are on a serious tear so far. They've all been pretty close games though, so I am expecting one to go the other way fairly soon. I mean, it has to happen at some point, right?

Yeah, they do and most Hawks fans understand that, but I hope it doesn't end for a while, it's been a great ride so far!
    However missing Sharp for a few weeks now, Hossa and Shaw for who knows how long, Frolik is still sick. If the first loss happens soon, it will most likely be tomorrow against the Avs.

Any thoughts on the realignment anyone?
    I play clarinet and sing, read and play video games, watch hockey and play scholastic bowl. Feel free to talk to me if you ever feel so compelled!

Want to hear a really great choral piece?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmCc-eHCeU

• RoamingVisionsRoamingVisions Posts: 20
    Kings fan and nothing will ever change that. Sadly, I cannot play because I am not all that coordinated when it comes to sports involving the need for strong ankles. Hence why I play (American) football and baseball. If someone would be willing to teach me how to play, I'd be ecstatic.
    @roamingvisions I can't play myself any more for health reasons, but would be SO willing to teach.  Lesson 1: learn to skate.  Start with simple skating around a rink at an open public skate.  Then learn to stop without running into walls, turn sharply, and do a basic little hop (like for jumping over a puck or something).  Then learn to do it all backwards.  
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • RoamingVisionsRoamingVisions Posts: 20
    @turdl38

I think I could do that... maybe... I think I will give it a go. Thank you. I'm pretty sure though I will manage to break another bone. It'll be fun. Thank you for the tips.
    Yeah, no worries.  Have fun!
    @Sophosleygh Well the Board of Governors approved the realignment plan today, so we'll be starting next season with the new format.

As a fan of an Eastern Conference team, I'm not overly thrilled since it will be slightly more challenging to earn a playoff berth with the unequal conferences. The 14-16 split also means the league will either lose two teams in the near future or gain another two expansion franchises. Losing two teams makes sense to me, but I doubt it will happen any time soon - meaning we'll probably see teams added in Quebec City and/or Seattle, Kansas City, Las Vegas, etc. to even out the conferences. By itself, this isn't such a bad idea, but if it means keeping Phoenix in Glendale even longer and not moving some of the franchises that are really struggling, then I really don't see the point. Better to address the existing, internal problems before expanding any more.

Also, Detroit and Tampa Bay (and Florida, but meh) have been added to our division, so it certainly won't be an easy ride next year. 
  • PoppehtartPoppehtart Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I love ice hockey! I support the Nashville Predators, who are actually playing as we speak!
  • SophosleyghSophosleygh Posts: 7
    @Belisarius The main problem I have with the new conferences is the loss of the Blackhawks - Red WIngs rivalry. At least there's now a chance at a Hawks/Wings Stanley Cup in the future!
    I play clarinet and sing, read and play video games, watch hockey and play scholastic bowl. Feel free to talk to me if you ever feel so compelled!

Want to hear a really great choral piece?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmCc-eHCeU

• captainmeowcaptainmeow Posts: 10
    I'm a Penguins fan, but its a real pain trying to watch games because I live in LA. I got the NHL GameCenter for streaming games but NHL's streaming service is just horrible. After a couple minutes watching my iPad the picture gets really bad and it looks like a bunch of blocks are just moving around. When I watch on my PS3 and XBOX it frequently buffers. 

Then theres the whole Penguins always playing early games on weekends, meaning I would have to be up at 9 a.m. to watch... 

One day I'll live in Pittsburgh and won't have problems like these anymore! 
  • TheycallmetomTheycallmetom Posts: 20
    New to the forum and stumbled on this page. Huge Ice Hockey fan, huge fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Please don't hate me too much, it isn't easy being a huge fan of them, last night we finally beat boston after 9 or 10 attempts over a 2 year period aha.
    @Theycallmetom And another point tonight! Blowing a two-goal lead sucks, but getting 3 of 4 points from a home-at-home with Boston is not too shabby.
    @Belisarius Yes 3 out of 4 against Boston...I'd take that gladly. Hoping they get the division title away from the habs.,.. I don't want them in the first round of the playoffs!

Oh and Kadri maaaan.....to think last year Tim Connolly had his place last year.
  • grevegreve Posts: 23
    Anyone watching the World championships? Denmark is ahead of Canada after 1st periode
    Possibly one of the greatest hockey gifs ever.

• izy200izy200 Posts: 31
    edited December 2013
    I thought I was the only one on here who liked hockey, I'm glad I found this post :) I've been playing hockey for 8 years, and I love it (I play defense.) I'm also a huge sharks fan, which is tough when you live on the other side of the country :|
    by izy200
  • DrakithaDrakitha OhioPosts: 10
    Blue Jackets fan. It's taught me to get used to disappointment. Also a Penguins fan, which has been rough this season now that they are in the same division.