Lydia predictions

Comments

• MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Knyx said:
    @MishieWishie ; I don't agree with your point that Lizzie would hold back putting stuff in her videos.  There has already been a lot of suspension of disbelief required on that front, although it doesn't seem to subtract too much from the story.
    Well, we'll see. It is, afterall, just my theory. It's been proven that she doesn't hold back (aka content that Darcy could have sued her for) but we never know either. If there's one thing that this series has been surprising us with--it's more surprises.
    Always the tone of surprise.

• Lydia is already much different from her character in the book and has been developed really well. I can't really see any reason why a girl would be forced into an unhappy marriage in a present day setting, so that plot detail probably has to change. I suppose she could have some other downfall, but I like her so much that I just want them to deviate from the plot of the book. I feel like the LBD has already begun to take on a life of its own.
  • DaveDave Posts: 45 ✭✭
    If you've seen today's episode of Lizzie, read on.

I think the downfall is about to unveil itself at Lydia's birthday party. given the set up that Lydia has gone to, and with Lizzie being responsible for her, it's almost a breaking point. If you notice on the end screen, the preview shows a 'My name is Lizzie Bennet and...' door opens but she tells the person off and the door shuts (that's a first). My suspicion is that it's our beloved Lydia because, as with all parties, it will go wrong. Dad's train set/the house gets wrecked, Wickham appearing; it all shouts a backlash on Lydia, and effectively, Lizzie will no doubt be angry at her, as will the parties, and this is going to spark Lydia to run away again. It does make the most sense when it comes to Lydia, she's going to have a backlash from those she needs, and has no-one to go. I don't think a pregnancy will happen, but purely running away to smite Lizzie and her parents. It's going to be a sad Christmas for the feels.
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    @Dave
    Yep.  Possibly the police get involved.  Maybe Drugs, or at least some connection between Lydia and The G-Dubs.  Certainly it is all set up to play out in this next episode, which I would guess is being shot during the party.

by Knyx
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    In the preview for Episode 72, I think Lizzie may have said "My name is Lizzie Bennet *door opens* and this is MY ROOM!!!!!! *door closes*" Unlike @Dave, I get the feeling that it's NOT Lydia, mainly because Lydia usually just enters the room whether or not Lizzie wants her to be there. It's probably just a random party goer, who wants to get away from the main party for... reasons.

But, like Dave, I do believe that everything will go wrong. Terribly wrong. The full effects will probably be seen in episode 73, but terrible things will undoubtedly occur. I get the feeling that 72 will be primarily Lizzie ranting about the fact that the party is out of control (and maybe shouting at Lydia and Wickham - perhaps we'll find out more about the contents of Darcy's letter?).

I think merely running away wouldn't produce the disastrous effect that happened in the book. Maybe there will be an unplanned pregnancy, then she runs away? Or Lizzie yells at her, Lydia gets pissed and some PIZZAAA happens, then she runs away?

Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • DoctorDonna20DoctorDonna20 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    I think that they will keep to the book in that Lizzie will be away from home when the "lydia thing" goes down. I think the Lydia thing might have to do something with either drugs or gambling because sex/pregnancy won't be as shocking in the modern adaption.
    @DoctorDonna20 -- Book spoilers ahead:
    That would be true to the book, and so is probably the case.  She is probably at Pemberly, which must be Darcy's company that she visits at the direction of Ms. Gardener, so Darcy can learn about it and play his role in the resolution.  Jane should also be at home, but it would work for that to not be the case

A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • DoctorDonna20DoctorDonna20 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    @knyx how do you do the "spoiler" reveal/box thing?
  • thepiratequeenktthepiratequeenkt Posts: 34 ✭✭
    As Hank put it [ spoiler]Lydia kills Dumbledore[ /spoiler] without the spaces after the brackets

• aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    Given the most recent Lydia video "Dear Lizzie"...

I think it's pretty likely that whatever scandal will happen will involve Lydia posting something shameful to the internet somehow.  The latest video shows that she's capable of posting an extremely passive-aggressive video to get back at Lizzie to make her point, to me it's opening the door so that if/when she does something REALLY bad, it won't be coming out of nowhere and we'll be able to see where she was coming from.

Which could lead to (book spoiler):

... A more believable reason for something to happen with G-Dubs.  Since Lizzie blocked his entrance to Lydia's party it seemed a way to prevent her situation from happening in book-canon, but if Lydia is doing things out of spite to retaliate against Lizzie, and especially since she mentioned him in the Dear Lizzie video, this trail of breadcrumbs might lead to a pretty destructive gingerbread house.
  • polkwonderpolkwonder Posts: 5
    Hey, so I have 2 theories...

Theory #1
    I think it has to be Lydia meets George in Vegas, gets into big gambling debt and shoots some sort of sex tape with George. (making her famous-ish)

Then Darcy comes to the rescue by buying the sex tape from the production company.

Theory #2
    Same deal, Lydia gets into debt with George.  But then the plan is Lydia works as a prostitute to pay off the debt. Darcy saves the day by paying debt and giving her a job.

Thoughts?
    @polkwonder I'm currently leaning towards Theory 1.

On the same point, I don't think it's necessary for a terribly serious sex scandal-type thing to occur. After all, it could always be something simple, but effective (judging from the subtle changes the LBD writers have made while modernizing the original plot).
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • RachaelRachael Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be a drunk shotgun wedding, like the Ross/Rachel wedding in Friends
    Rawr, I'm a lion. image
  • javelinjavelin Posts: 14
    Rachael said:
    I think it'll be a drunk shotgun wedding, like the Ross/Rachel wedding in Friends
    Yeah that's what I think. But how do you think they'll bring the Darcy bit into it?
    what a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person
  • I think it's got to be something as shameful as what happened in the book at that time but also, in terms of telling someone's story over the internet not bad enough that Lizzie or Lydia won't actually share it with us....
    @randomradiation  Any particular reason it would be theory #1 and not theory #2?  I will tell you why I do not think that it is the shotgun wedding thing.. or the pregnancy thing that is so popular...

Not Shotgun Wedding
    1 - Shotgun weddings don't really carry a stigma anymore.  People who get rapidly married, are assumed to have been in love. Doing stupid things for love is kindof "Meh, everyone does it sometime." 2 -  Being divorced isn't as bad as it used to be.  People don't judge you negatively for a divorce. So, a rapid marriage would not constitute a family emergency the way that it would have in Jane Austen's time.  An equally rapid divorce would not linger (although it would be relatively expensive).   3 - you can't get divorced fast enough for the timeline of this story.  I googled, and Nevada's divorce laws require you to reside in Nevada before you can submit a divorce filing.  You have to live in the state for 6 weeks before you can file paperwork to divorce.  Then, Nevada doesn't seem to have the mandatory separation period of 6 months that a lot of other states have.  It seems you can get divorced in 2 weeks, still to long for the resolution of the show.
    To summarize, a quickie marriage would not be considered an emergency and a relatively fast divorce would last at least 6-8 weeks, too long for a reasonable resolution of the show.

No Pregnancy
    1 - A lot of younger people don't understand this, but it doesn't work like day one - sex, day 14 - oh PIZZZAA, I am pregnant. As a person at the age when people are really trying to get pregnant, it really opens your eyes to the difficulties inherent in the process. First you have to have a lot of unprotected sex on multiple days.  One night stands don't work.  Also, if you don't want to be pregnant and you have an unprotected one night stand, then you can go to the drug store and get the birth control plan B. It is not 100% effective, but it is very very effective.   As long as you don't continue to have unprotected sex, then you are fine. So Lydia would literally have to use no birth control, no condoms, and no plan B.  This is really stretching it.  She would have to have lots of unprotected sex on multiple days, knowing that she was risking getting pregnant or an STD. I don't see her as that naive.  2 - the timeline is totally wrecked.  The time between having unprotected sex and realizing, "Oh wait, I am pregnant." is 2-3 months.  She would be having the sex at new years, finding out she was pregnant in March, figuring out what to do (abortion?), having the baby in September.  All too much time for this to happen.  To figure out if you are pregnant, you have to wait until you miss a period, and then you wait 2 more weeks to determine if the reason for the missed period is pregnancy and not a hundred other things.  Even when you are pregnant, most of the time you don't miss your first period (there is a bloody discharge that looks exactly like your period that is often mistaken for your period), you miss the second period.  Then to resolve what will happen with the baby, the show would have to go on for years. There isn't time for that.  3 - Being pregnant/ having a baby really isn't as bad as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, no one wants to raise any unexpected child.  But especially with two parents, and two grown adult sisters with jobs, there are plenty of people to help care for a baby.  Parents, well, they usually like to parent.  When my friend had a baby in college, her parents basically took care of it for the 3 years she was in college, and the 3 years she was in law school.  When she got out of law school, she moved back closer to her parents and was making enough money to give the kid a pretty great life.  This is not everyone's experience, but a lot of people make it work with an oopsie baby.  It doesn't hold a stigma, and isn't really a tragedy.
    To summarize, the process starting with sex, discovering pregnancy, and either having or not having a baby is a long, long, long, long process that isn't really so bad when it happens past the age of 20 and in a loving stable financially well off family.
  • QablunaQabluna Posts: 13
    @polkwonder

I agree with you that there is less stigma attached to an unexpected pregnancy these days, but don't think your paragraph following is medically accurate. It is entirely possible to get pregnant from one encounter (see: the political fuss in the US re "legitimate rape" earlier this year), if that one encounter is within a day of ovulation. And it does not take three months to know you're pregnant, many women have symptoms that make them suspicious, for most women the implantation bleed is not "just like a period," and many women pay close enough attention to their cycles to know if they're late. For any of the above reasons, in the 21st Century women who have accurate health information often choose to take a pregnancy test (which can be positive about a week after conception, i.e. before the missed period) instead of waiting 3 months "in case it's something else."
    edited January 2013
    @polkwonder You have points but you lost me at: "First you have to have a lot of unprotected sex on multiple days." 'cause that's just silly.

(Also could some one tell me how to quote people please and thank you)
    by thepiratequeenkt

@qabluna I get that medically it is possible to get pregnant from a one night stand, medically/ theoretically.  But honestly I have never met a woman trying to get pregnant who has achieved this.  All ages, all types, and nope, doesn't happen.  And this is really trying, like identifying what day you are most fertile and going at like a pair of rabbits.  Also, I have never met a woman who has actually experienced the one night stand = baby thing. Just because something is biologically possible, it does not mean that it happens.  I think that the one night stand = baby thing is a myth to scare women from having sex. It also plays into female narcissism. We want to think that our bodies are baby making expert machines that can crank out a baby half a second after touching a guy.  Truth is, it doesn't work that way.
    @thepiratequeenkt why is it silly? Think about what happens during sex as a game of telephone.  Everyone knows that by the end of a game of telephone the message is completely different from what the person originally intended. Why? Because there is transmission loss throughout the process.  The probability of getting a complete message at the end is pretty low despite theoretically being possible every single time.How do you increase the odds of getting a complete message through? Sending the same message multiple times. There are a lot of factors in the process of sex and a lot of transmission loss.
  • aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    @polkwonder, I disagree with the idea of "just because it is biologically possible, does not mean that it happens."  On the contrary, I know somebody who HAS had a one-night stand and has gotten pregnant from it.  It IS possible, and it DOES happen on occasion, whether or not you know somebody who has had it happen to that or not.  Yes, the odds increase the more unprotected sex a couple has, and I am absolutely not blind to how difficult it can be for some couples to get pregnant (miscarriages and many, many things can happen to cause fertility challenges for a couple trying to get pregnant are more common than one may realise).  There are sobering statistics for couples who want desperately to have kids but are unable to. 

However, that does not mean that it is absolutely impossible for a couple to have sex and get pregnant on their fist sexual encounter. I know that, depending on how somebody gets their sexual education, there is the message that "if you have unprotected sex just ONCE it is INCREDIBLY LIKELY that you will get pregnant", which of course is not true.  I agree that pregnancies are not as guaranteed as certain impressions make it out to be.  But to say that you have to have unprotected sex on multiple days, or that it is not possible to get pregnant from one-night stands, is incorrect.  Much less likely than certain people would like to have you believe, yes, but not impossible.
    @thepiratequeenkt you quote people by going to their post, and hitting the quote button below the main text.
  • LucyisaliveLucyisalive Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Even if it was pregnancy, how would Darcy come into it? 'I SHALL PERFORM AN EMERGENCY ABORTION WITH MY BARE HANDS!' ? :P
    This made me laugh. A lot!

'To love another person is to see the face of God' - Les Miserablés 

'There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for' - The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  

'This is why I love books... they jump into the abyss to be with you.' - John Green

Woah woah woah, calm down people! We're just making predictions for now and everyone's entitled to their own opinions (regardless of whether they're right or wrong). After all, the true fun comes from being able to say "I told you so!" once the plot is revealed through more episodes and your hypothesis is the one shown! :)

@polkwonder I chose Theory 1 because racking up a gambling debt in Vegas seems very likely, with all the partying Lydia's been doing lately. She could mix around with the wrong crowd, meet Wickam and he could offer to help with her debt and then stuff would happen.

I don't really agree with the sex tape part, because it just seems unfeasible. Plus, Wickham isn't the type.

@aSnowyevening I believe that we are in complete agreement.  1 - We both think that it is possible to get pregnant from one time sex. 2 - We both think that it is a very rare event. You know one person it happened to out of the many people you know, and I know zero people this happened to out of the many people I know. And frankly, unless that one person is yourself, there is no way to verify that it was truly a one time, one day thing. 3 - The far more prevalent thing is people who want to be pregnant not being able to get pregnant.  Really. From the CDC website - 6 million women or 1 in 10 US women have trouble getting pregnant.  Compare that to the number of pregnancies from not using birth control - 814,000. (Thanks for giving me cause to look up this study from the CDC... enlightening... http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr055.pdf ) You know several of these women, and I know several of these women because the norm is moderate to severe difficulty when trying to get pregnant. 4 - There is a lot of lying and misinformation used to scare women into not having sex. I honestly believe that one of these lies is the real fear many young women have of becoming pregnant every time they have sex.  It's not true.  You can have sex safely and responsibly without getting pregnant by using contraception every time. And you can use contraception every time because there is even a morning after pill where you think he used a condom, but you are not sure, so you want to be safe and take this pill the day after. Wow.  It is a miracle.

From reading the CDC study, "Large and persistent differences are seen in unintended births by income and education. Most births to teenagers and to unmarried adult women are unintended. Underestimating the risk of pregnancy is the most common reason for not using contraception that leads to unintended pregnancy".  Now you might think that this undermines my point about one night stands =/= pregnancy.  In fact it reinforces my point about lies and misinformation.  By sending the message that most/ all sex leads to pregnancy, ignorant teens have sex once, discover that they don't get pregnant immediately, figure that the threat of pregnancy is overblown or doesn't exist and then don't use contraception while continuing to have sex. Teenagers and unmarried women need to know that just because your friend had sex and did not get pregnant, just because you had sex and did not get pregnant last time, lots of attempts increase the odds that you will get pregnant eventually.

TL;DR Have sex, just use contraception (it's easy and fun!) especially if you are a teenager or unmarried woman.

@polkwonder I'm not going to touch on your telephone metaphor because while a lovely bit of imagery there, it makes no biological sense.
    I said the phrase: "First you have to have a lot of unprotected sex on multiple days" was silly because it was a false blanket statement but you corrected it (doing a full 180) when you said "it is possible to get pregnant from one time sex."

• LucyisaliveLucyisalive Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited January 2013

I've just had a thought.

In the book, just before they elope, Wickham is actually in a pretty bad situation himself. He's in a lot of debt -which is why he decides to run in the first place (and he takes Lydia with him as an afterthought just to have some fun I assume). So maybe Lydia won't get into debt with George - giving him all the power - maybe it'll be more like he gets into debt and somehow sucks her into it? (Haven't figured that part out yet. Thoughts?) We already know he's not sensible with money from Darcy's letter so I don't think he'll necassarily hold all the cards whenever the sinful act comes around.

by Lucyisalive

'To love another person is to see the face of God' - Les Miserablés 

'There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for' - The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  

'This is why I love books... they jump into the abyss to be with you.' - John Green

• celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've just had a thought.

In the book, just before they elope, Wickham is actually in a pretty bad situation himself. He's in a lot of debt -which is why he decides to run in the first place (and he takes Lydia with him as an afterthought just to have some fun I assume). So maybe Lydia won't get into debt with George - giving him all the power - maybe it'll be more like he gets into debt and somehow sucks her into it? (Haven't figured that part out yet. Thoughts?) We already know he's not sensible with money from Darcy's letter so I don't think he'll necassarily hold all the cards whenever the sinful act comes around.

I think that's entirely likely.  
    I don't see Wickam pretending to get Lydia out of trouble so much as having his own trouble and her creating some in addition.
  • writtenwisheswrittenwishes College Dorm RoomPosts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about Lydia, because even though the LBD is based on the book, I'm thinking she might turn out alright!
    Also, she might be with Wickham :P
  • celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    So this is in response to something said a long time ago: as a sibling, I know there is a filter problem when it comes to your sisters/brothers.  I say things about my brother that I would never reveal about my friends or other family members, and I don't even realize it until later.  He does the same regarding me. I don't think it's a matter of disrespect, just that when you are raised close together, there's a degree of disregard that comes with it.  I have behaved like Lizzie and Jane in the past, as an older sister thoughtlessly acting or saying things that hurt my sibling, and not realizing it until too late.  However, I do agree that I probably wouldn't rant over a sibling's bad behavior or worry about a sibling's love life on a vlog.

Though I do think in the story, we're supposed to believe that she didn't think her school project would get that many views, and maybe had been more open with a faceless, and supposed small audience, and then felt free/compelled to keep up that level of closeness.  We see her struggling with that in episode 68.

So that may have seemed horribly phrased, but I do see why Lizzie feels justified in what she says to and about Lydia. I don't think it's fair or appropriate, but I can see where her behavior comes from.

Also, I feel the writers are teasing us with Lydia's situation. I'm beginning to wonder if she does have a catastrophic incident, or if she just does something that alienates Lizzie completely.  Anything involving Wickham will likely involve disaster, but maybe the disaster won't be as dire as we're predicting? Or maybe Lydia is just misleading me in this video, and I'm being willingly led, because I love her character so much.