Lydia predictions

Comments

• kaelbukaelbu Posts: 3
    After seeing Lydia's latest video Kicks... I have some new ideas. Book and video spoilers ahead: 

So there has been a lot of disagreement in comments about whether this video is creepy and indicative of the beginnings of an abusive relationship or if its really cute and sweet. I'm in the creepy camp but I can see how people could think it's cute. In fact, I think its kind of important that people do, because ultimately it would show people how insidious emotionally abusive relationships are. It's not always easy to see the signs if you aren't looking for them.  
    First of all, the title of the episode itself is somewhat unsettling. On the surface, it refers to Wickham's roundhouse kick or perhaps call's to mind the expression "getting a kick out of" -- ie Lydia is having fun. But it also invokes violence. Though, I presume we are not supposed to think that Lydia saw this connection when naming the episode, I think all of Wickham's subtle comments are like kicks to Lydia and that the title is almost a cry for help. Secondly, when you look below the surface, Wickham's behavior seems more manipulating and possessive and less cute. Sure, it looks like he just wants her to admit they are in a relationship. Isn't that sweet? He likes her and wants her to like him back. No. If he wants to be in relationship with him, that should be a private conversation. Especially because she has relationship baggage AND her sister dated him. Then they can announce their coupleness. Like this, it's clear is manipulating her. He basically forces her to admit they are dating by shaming her. She's spending all her time at his house and sleeping over but they aren't a couple?  Even in today's forward society, admitting that on the internet invites criticism. (Also, its clear that Lydia doesn't like her reputation and wants to change it). Thirdly, note how much Wickham is preforming for the camera. When he looks at Lydia to say things, the things he says are much more creepy. Some even sound like threats. But he's a master of tone, he says inappropriate things like they are jokes so you can't call him out for them. 
    So with that in mind, I believe that he abused Gigi which actually makes a lot of sense. I think we can assume that he courted  her for her money (as in the book). But how did it end? and why? and why did it make Darcy hate him so much? I don't think a simple bad break up would necessitate "ruining Wickham's reputation" or that it would make Gigi stop swimming. Abuse could have done that. 
    But this raises a lot of questions, why is Wickham going after Lydia? Is it just because she is vulnerable? How will Darcy step in and save the day (because plot-wise, that's the most essential part of the Lydia debacle)?  

What do you all think?
  • LucyisaliveLucyisalive Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @kaelbu For some reason I can't see anything inside your spoiler tags. Is this just me?  

'To love another person is to see the face of God' - Les Miserablés 

'There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for' - The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  

'This is why I love books... they jump into the abyss to be with you.' - John Green

• KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    @kaelbu For some reason I can't see anything inside your spoiler tags. Is this just me?  
    Unless something has been fixed, it works for me.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    @kaelbu I agree with everything. It seems very likely considering the latest episode. Wickham is definitely creepy. 
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
    Still can't see it :( probably something to do with my settings but I can't fix it!

'There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for' - The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  

'This is why I love books... they jump into the abyss to be with you.' - John Green

• celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    After today's episode (26), my thoughts are turning disturbingly dark.  I really hope it's heading more in the direction @kaelbu is suggesting, and less of a
    self inflicted direction.
    The way Lydia looked in the last episode was haunting. She looked so tired and ill and confused. And when Wicham was talking to Lizzie through the camera there was just such an evil triumphant gloating look on his face and I could just picture Lizzie watching them in the future and ugh it was horrible.  

• lolathecoconutlolathecoconut Montreal, CanadaPosts: 62
    edited January 2013
    I kind like the idea that in this iteration, Wickham doesn't actually do anything to Lydia's life. No sex tape, unexpected pregnancy, debt, whatever...it's much more subtle and at the same time a bit more terrible, that Lydia is in an emotionally abusive relationship with George, and that's all.
    Isn't that what the LBD is all about, moving things into a modern context but also allowing for more complexity in the characters? Lydia isn't just a airhead party girl, Charlotte is more than just Lizzie's plain friend, etc?
    Spoiler cut for excessively detailed speculation:
    Besides, the way I can see it playing out is that Lizzie, who is still a little bit mad a Lydia and not watching her videos, comes back from Pemberly to find Lydia seemingly happy in her relationship and a lot more settled, but over time realizes that Lydia's been reduced to pretty much a shadow of her old self. Once they realize exactly why, they try to get through to Lydia first. There's maybe two or three videos, posted on either Lydia's or Lizzie's account, where Lizzie, Jane, and Mary (maybe Mrs Bennett even expresses worry) all try to talk to Lydia and convince her that this goes beyond Wickham's history and "you don't trust me or want me to be happy!" But when they finally get Lydia to admit she should get out, the next posted video has Lydia sucked right back in, defending Wickham and acting like nothing's wrong. Maybe there's even a confrontation video with Wickham where he just sticks to his whole "I''m not doing anything wrong and you're just attacking me with nothing to stand on, so I'm not going anywhere" shtick. Finally, that's where Darcy steps in, gives Wickham a crapload of money to leave town, disappear, move to New York, whatever; he does this in a way that convinces Lizzie that he did it because he genuinely cared for Lydia's wellbeing, and when she finds out, that's what finally wins her over. After that...babies ever after?
    by lolathecoconut
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

In the book:

Darcy saves Georgiana from almost marrying Wickham. Wickham's intention is to pay off his debts. Later, they realize Wickham never intends to marry Lydia, so she must be saved and forced to be placed into the situation that Georgiana was saved from

So perhaps, the more interesting question is: what did Wickham do to Gigi?

GAAAAIIISSSS idk if anyone else noticed, but the LydiaBennett account on YouTube just liked "Your Love is my drug" by Ke$ha! This must be part of that "outside of vlogging" real-life type things where they come up with twitter accounts and websites for Pemberly Digital and Collins and Collins, etc!

What could this mean?
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
    Wickham has an OKcupid account.
    Cool. I never knew that.

I don't know if it is still active but if he's still playing around that could be part of what happens to Lydia
  • QablunaQabluna Posts: 13

Super-late on the reply, but just because your friends (who possibly are struggling with infertility) haven't experienced something doesn't mean that it is impossible. This "my personal experience is X thus it must be true" line of argument is all-too-common in American public discourse and baffles me as a non-US resident, as personal opinion trumps evidence. If we are going to rely solely on personal experience, I can with certainly tell you that my personal experience (many years working in health care, including working with teens, victims of sexual assault, and providing prenatal care, etc) shows that there is a spectrum of fertility, and not everyone needs to "repeatedly go at it like rabbits" to get pregnant. I have met many, many women (mostly young women) who became pregnant after one-time or brief encounters.
    I completely agree that young people should be given accurate information on sexuality, but that information should include the fact that pregnancy is generally possible with any unprotected (hetero, vaginal) sexual intercourse. The rate per event may be low, such that for some couples repeated events increase the overall "success" rate, just as (if we're going with analogies) the chances of being hit by a bus while crossing the road is low but while your chances of being hit overall may increase if you dart across busy roads daily, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look for buses before stepping onto the road the first time...
  • thepiratequeenktthepiratequeenkt Posts: 34 ✭✭
    @qabluna I'm also a non US resident and I don't think that "my personal experience is X thus it must be true" is a purely American response. We all draw conclusions based on correlation with our personal experiences (however wrong those conclusions may be).
    That being said I don't entirely remember the finer details of the past discussion but I'm on your side of this and polkwonder made later statements that completely contradicted their first comment so I think we dropped it.

• ThisIsLissThisIsLiss Posts: 23
    I kind like the idea that in this iteration, Wickham doesn't actually do anything to Lydia's life. No sex tape, unexpected pregnancy, debt, whatever...it's much more subtle and at the same time a bit more terrible, that Lydia is in an emotionally abusive relationship with George, and that's all.
    Isn't that what the LBD is all about, moving things into a modern context but also allowing for more complexity in the characters? Lydia isn't just a airhead party girl, Charlotte is more than just Lizzie's plain friend, etc?
    Spoiler cut for excessively detailed speculation:
    Besides, the way I can see it playing out is that Lizzie, who is still a little bit mad a Lydia and not watching her videos, comes back from Pemberly to find Lydia seemingly happy in her relationship and a lot more settled, but over time realizes that Lydia's been reduced to pretty much a shadow of her old self. Once they realize exactly why, they try to get through to Lydia first. There's maybe two or three videos, posted on either Lydia's or Lizzie's account, where Lizzie, Jane, and Mary (maybe Mrs Bennett even expresses worry) all try to talk to Lydia and convince her that this goes beyond Wickham's history and "you don't trust me or want me to be happy!" But when they finally get Lydia to admit she should get out, the next posted video has Lydia sucked right back in, defending Wickham and acting like nothing's wrong. Maybe there's even a confrontation video with Wickham where he just sticks to his whole "I''m not doing anything wrong and you're just attacking me with nothing to stand on, so I'm not going anywhere" shtick. Finally, that's where Darcy steps in, gives Wickham a crapload of money to leave town, disappear, move to New York, whatever; he does this in a way that convinces Lizzie that he did it because he genuinely cared for Lydia's wellbeing, and when she finds out, that's what finally wins her over. After that...babies ever after?
    I love the "babies ever after". 
    French The Llama! 

This Is Liss!

DFTBA
  • aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    I just had some terrifying thoughts.  What if the hilariousness of the most recent episode of LBD is meant to be a break in the tension for the poop that is about to go down with Lydia & Wikham?  What if, when he made them dinner on Saturday, he convinced Lydia to not get in touch with Jane?  What if something happens and he feels threatened by the presence of the videos (maybe worried that somebody will catch on and take Lydia away), and pulls the "if you really loved me you'll stop making these videos" card, so nobody is able to get in touch with her?

I'm getting genuinely concerned for Lydia's safety.  This is going to be the longest 18 minutes ever :s
    I feel so strange about what just happened in the Lydia video "Good Enough"
  • celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I'm really wondering what "I know it's soon, but she (Jane) always said 'when you know you know,' and with George...I'm pretty sure I know." means.  Thursday and Friday will be tense days!
  • nickcurrynickcurry Posts: 139 ✭✭

[SPOILER]What's with the question mark for the next video?? I have a huge sinking feeling about this and as one youtube commentator said, 'like watching a car crash in slow motion'. 

But it's really brilliant that the writers chose this route of abusive relationships rather than this huge scandal we were all speculating about because it's often this sort of relationship that leaves a deeper scar, especially when there are so many real-life cases that go on unnoticed.

And it's also really interesting to see the videos of both Lizzie's and Lydia's love lives (or in Lydia's case, an imaginary one) unfolding and you can clearly see the contrast between a healthy budding relationship and destructive abusive one. Because relationships aren't suppose to change who you are or at least if it does change you it should be something that makes you a better person. Like for example, Lizzie is still Lizzie though she realises the need to be more aware of other people's feelings. But Lydia is just a shadow of her former bubbly self. So whenever I hear the end credits of Lydia's video, the sound is so jarring with the contents of the video. And it makes it all the much sadder. Sigh... [/SPOILER]

• aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    @nickcurry I was just thinking that myself with today's video, the sound of the ending credits is so drastically different from the contents of the video.  She's not the same person she used to be.

The question mark over the next video doesn't bother me as much as the question mark in the annotation, where the release time of the next video would be.  My worries of there not being a regularly scheduled Lydia video are growing drastically.

I don't know if I've ever felt so much dread seeing a single question mark.
  • TheNotSoWiseOwlTheNotSoWiseOwl Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I think it might be, it's all over her videos in the comments, and has it's own youtube channel...

:((

All I wanted were the answers, but I still don't know the questions.

• ColetteColette Posts: 33
    It is real Bernie confirmed it. @Ariel

Well. Stuff has happened. On a related topic...

NOOOOOOO!!!!! DAMN YOU WICKHAM!!!

• leafylaneleafylane Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Well this has certainly tested my decision to give up Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr til Sunday... I've got most of what's going on through here and YouTube comments, but I'm definitely going to have to do a big catch up when I can get back on!
    'You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!'
    John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
    All of the awesome, none of the tea -- Part of The British Non-Tea Drinking Society
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    I love how much pleasure Bernie gets from drawing this out on twitter.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • CoraDoraCoraDora Posts: 10
    I'm definitely betting that there is going to be some major drama in Lizzie's video tomorrow. I'm going to bet that she finds out about the Lydia thing on camera in the middle of a nice moment with Darcy. I think that this is a brilliant way to adapt the story to modern times. It is definitely one of the more publicized ways for a girl's reputation to get ruined (compared to just running away which is not the horror that it used to be). Definitely looking forward to how it all gets resolved.
  • nickcurrynickcurry Posts: 139 ✭✭
    [SPOILER] And I believe this is where Darcy swoops in to save the day. I mean,his company is a digital media company, right? He would have the means of making it go away or something. [/SPOILER]