The AFC Wimbly Wombly team needs nicknames!

Comments

• Flacutono99Flacutono99 Posts: 4
    Rollo said:
    How much money does AFC have to play with? Can we buy Nacho from Rayo Vallecano in Spain?
    Pizza John and Nacho - the greatest combo meal of all time.

Nacho nacho man,
    I want to be a nacho man.
    If we're talking about the same Nacho, (there's a fullback called Nacho who plays for Real Madrid) I still don't think so.  The man plays in La Liga, and Wimbledon is a League 2 side.  It would be great, but it's not gonna happen.
  • I, too, really like Midson:  Impossible.
    mobiusstripsteak:  where math meets meat (context is everything).
  • LobstershrubLobstershrub Posts: 14
    Principal Swee-hee-hee-heeney
    "...in a mood poised between elation and utter despair."
  • ladycovington15ladycovington15 somewhere only we know <3Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Okay, well, now that we have Matt Smith, we have a FANTASTIC opportunity now for a nice Smith and Weston combination...
    I, uh, wrote this thing.
    It's Bald John Green/Other John Green fanfiction.
    I'd rather shamelessly self-promote it than spam you on ALL the forums, so here we go =)
  • gruntaygruntay The Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Antwi: "Señor Antwitwi" He used to be a spanish teacher, however he followed the dream he had since he was a child of becoming a pro footballer.  He joined AFC Wimbledon and now is called Señor Antwitwi.
    If some people said what they thought- they would be speechless
  • saerasaera Las Cruces, NM / El Paso, TXPosts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    @Lobstershrub I understood that reference.
    I APPROVE.
    by saera
  • un_beknownstun_beknownst Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I don't know if C. Arthur is on John's version of the team, but if he is I think he should be known as Former US President Chester A. Arthur.
  • TruckeebenTruckeeben Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Now that I know that Brown's "real" name is Seb, I think he should be Li'l Seb the Robot Rabbit.
  • gerenjiegerenjie Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Seb is retired from the Special Enforcement Bearu, and now uses his training to defend the dreams of the Wimbledon fans.
  • ladycovington15ladycovington15 somewhere only we know <3Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Number Player Nickname Position
    1 R. Worner Worner Chilcott GK
    22 S. Brown Seb Brown (Brownie) GK
    3 C. Kennedy DEF
    6 A. Bennett Aliza "Lizzie" Bennett DEF
    2 B. Fuller Buckminster Fuller DEF
    5 A. Frampton Frampton Comes Alive DEF
    14 W. Antwi DEF
    24 R. Weston DEF
    8 S. Moore S'Moore MID
    11 L. Moore Les is Moore MID
    21 G. Porter MID
    7 G. Francomb MID
    12 H. Pell Hell's Pells MID
    16 K. Sainte-Luce MID
    19 C. Arthur MID
    25 C. Jacquart MID
    4 P. Sweeney MID
    23 J. Green Other John Green FWD
    9 J. Green Bald John Green FWD
    32 Y. Bamba Yayayayayayaya Bamba FWD
    13 M. Smith Matt Smith FWD
    18 C. Sheringham Green Eggs and Sheringham FWD
    10 J. Midson Jackie Midson FWD

So, this is the most updated list I have of our beautiful team. I don't know if we've lost players because John's been acquiring new ones, but this is what I've got. We should work on some more backstories, and see if we can come up with something that John will remember. 
    :)
    by ladycovington15
    I, uh, wrote this thing.
    It's Bald John Green/Other John Green fanfiction.
    I'd rather shamelessly self-promote it than spam you on ALL the forums, so here we go =)
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,887 ✭✭✭
    19. C. Arthur - Cid Arthur - The Pearly King who decided to form his own religion. 'Apples and Pears', 'Dog and Bone', it's the Middle Way. Cid Arthur, the crafty zen cockney.

Also from London:
    "Oi, shut it, you slag. Get yer trousers on, you're nicked."

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • gruntaygruntay The Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    I play my own manager mode so I don't know if some of the players are the same... some nicknames aren't my own, but the songs are. 

Matt Smith: The Doctor, The Time Lord: He would walk five hundred miles and he would walk five hundred more, just to walk a thousand miles, put the ball in the net and score.

Jack Midson: Jackie Midson, Queen Maab: He’s big, he’s bad, he’s Wimbledon’s Queen Maab.  The fairies midwife, gives the keepers strife.

Strutton: Strut your stuff on the runway, ‘cause you’re never gonna see these people again.

Luke Moore: Elmore, Little Moore, Less is More, Gimme a little more: L. Moore, Little Moore, despite his short stature he runs, shoots, SCORES!

K. Sainte-Luce: Holy Saint Francis: Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here, the left wing that he did love so dear so soon forsaken?  Luce’s love then lies not truly in the wing, but breaking ties.  Jesu Maria, what a beautiful finish, hath caressed the ball into the net from the boot of that winga’. 

Arthur: In the beginning, there was nothing. Then there was Arthur, and we went farther.  He could go harder, he could be smarter, he’s a fin-ish-er today.

Porter: Oh, Porter he’s no hoarder of the ball, and he makes his crosses fatal.  But when he dribbles that rock, oh he’s no ones to stop; the ball will go into the goal!

Sammy Moore: S’more, Small Moore

Pell: The Anglo-Scandinavian: He is Pell!  And he is swell!  Our thirst for goals, he always quells. (Their attack, he always quells.) Us Wimbly-Wombleys never cease to yell, “Oh Pell, give ‘em hell.” 

Kennedy: JFK, President Kennedy

Cooper: Cooper, he’s the bees-knees.  Cooper, he’s super-duper.  Cooper, he’s the best  D  on our team.

Brown: Brown turkey and STUFFING!, Seb Brown: Oh Brown, he’ll never let us down, he’ll lead us to the crown, we’ll never get a frown, Oh Brown.  Oh Brown, the best keeper in town, makes the strikers look like clowns, it’s why we scream and shout, “OH BROWN!”

by gruntay
    If some people said what they thought- they would be speechless
  • Brownton Abbey
    Wild wild Weston
    Harry Porter
    The framptons
    Frannycomb
    S'moore
    Less is Moore
    Caring and sheringham
    Saint Lucy
    Ya bamba
    Wonderfuller
    Sweet p sweeny
  • Brownton Abbey
    Wild wild Weston
    Harry Porter
    The framptons
    Frannycomb
    S'moore
    Less is Moore
    Caring and sheringham
    Saint Lucy
    Ya bamba
    Wonderfuller
    Sweet p sweeny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53WaK71sMM

I was watching Hull vs Liverpool at the weekend (don't remind me of the idiotic result) and the crowd was singing some song to the tune of the Arthur theme.
    The thing is, it's not even the daftest thing I've ever heard at a football match.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

• As of episode 12, P. Sweeney is officially Sweeney Pod (or Sweeney Podd)

Maybe R. Weston could be related to the Canadian millionaire/grocery store manganate?  I bet R.'s Canadian cousin would be happy to help with snacks at team parties.

• Oh! And R. Weston could be Ricky Weston, and his song could be "Oh, Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Ricky!"
  • thelastgoodkissthelastgoodkiss Posts: 3 Mod
    edited December 2013
    So S. Moore and L. Moore have been established as Some Moore and Less Moore, and apparently "One Word S. Moore" is a thing now too! But I had a great idea for the two of them. 

I think that S. Moore and L. Moore are brothers with a contentious history. Maybe they're long lost brothers, maybe they're half brothers, maybe they grew up together! I don't know; John will have to fill in the blanks. Either way, I think there's a bitterness between them, and a severe sense of rivalry. L. Moore is younger and therefore feels particularly competitive and like he has something to prove. It doesn't help that his nickname is Less Moore. It (naturally) makes him feel lesser. 

Also, I think S. Moore is sometimes called "Less S. Moore" and L. Moore is sometimes called "Less is Moore" by the fans. Basically, it's the same nickname, but it works with both of their names, and I think it rankles the both of them, because they want individuality. They want distinction. They don't want to live in each other's shadows. They don't want to be considered part of the same unit. 

I am excited and hopeful to discover how these two brothers ended up on the same team and to watch them make amends for their past and grow together as they learn how to be teammates in life and in fraternal love. Maybe, by working together, they will one day be proud to be Less is More together. 

(Can you tell that I'm starved for some Wimbly Wombly backstory? I want to get to know our new players!!!)

EDIT: jbramson suggested a month ago that S. Moore and L. Moore should be formerly conjoined twins. Since John knows so much about conjoined twins, I think this would be an excellent backstory for them. I still hope that they hate each other though (for now). 

Also, I want an emotional locker room moment later on in the series when S. Moore tells his brother that he's going to ask the manager to take him off the team, or at least off the starting lineup for that particular game, so that L. Moore has a chance to shine all on his own, and L. Moore turns to S. Moore and says, "No. The Moore the merrier." And then I will cry.
    by thelastgoodkiss
    I think that S. Moore and L. Moore are brothers with a contentious history. Maybe they're long lost brothers, maybe they're half brothers, maybe they grew up together! I don't know; John will have to fill in the blanks. Either way, I think there's a bitterness between them, and a severe sense of rivalry.

Maybe... they're THE SAME PLAYER!

Richard Feynman in a lecture sort of tried to guess at the the quantum mechanical indistinguishability of electrons by suggesting and postulating that there is only one electron in the universe.
    If there was only one one electron in the universe due to quantum probability, it could propagate itself through space and time in such a way as to appear in many places simultaneously.
    That would explain why the Johns Green have the ability to time travel from FIFA '11 to '13 and then '14.

It would also explain the secret truth in this song:
    There's only one Sammy Moore,
    One Sammy Moore.
    We're walking along, singing a song.
    Walking in a Sammy Wonderland.

Some Moore and Less Moore? Maybe Moores are like Quarks or something? Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Bottom, Top, Some and Less. Time travelling Johns Green, Matt Smith, one Moore in the universe?

I need to go for a meat pie. I will do science to it.

• MrTonytheGorillaMrTonytheGorilla AustraliaPosts: 8
    thelastgoodkiss said:Also, I want an emotional locker room moment later on in the series when S. Moore tells his brother that he's going to ask the manager to take him off the team, or at least off the starting lineup for that particular game, so that L. Moore has a chance to shine all on his own, and L. Moore turns to S. Moore and says, "No. The Moore the merrier." And then I will cry.
    Previously conjoined twins with a bitter past yet hopeful future, this is brilliant!

For my two cents:
    Less and Some may have been previously joined at the wrist, sharing one hand, the control of which had always been a point of contention between the siblings. In their separation it was Some More who received the hand, whilst his brother was left a little bit Less of his former self.
    Not to be one to have his future handed to him, Less cut his losses and took up football soon after the surgery. After an unfortunately poor half-season as an attempted goalkeeper, Less was moved to the mid-field, where his ineptitude for handballing proved a valuable asset to the team, and there he flourished.
    Embittered yet emboldened by his brother's success, Some Moore decided to try his hand at football, and after a successful debut season, Some became bent on outdoing his brother. Soon, the pair found themselves as midfielders in the same team, and have since proceeded at the exact same pace, Less' unorthodox asset matched by Some's slightly more balanced and even-handed approach, and identical genetic code.
    Yet to describe the relationship between the brothers as 'balanced and even-handed' would be fair from inadequate. As they move together towards the Premier League, their separation seems only to increase. It worries us.
    We hope that if ever the time comes, when misfortune strikes or a challenge is faced, these brothers will learn to overcome their differences, and to one another lend a helping hand.
    #25 C. Jacquart - This is so very very obvious and I should have known better:

The C in C. Jacquart is Champagne. Jacquart is the very embodiment of Champagne Football.

Garry Porter: likes owls, brooms.
    Who lives in a bedsit under Bow's bells?
    Who plays like a demon, in all sorts of hell? 
    GEORGIE PORTER
    If all kinds of hurt be something you wish 
    GEORGIE PORTER
    Then run into him and get kicked like a fish 
    GEORGIE PORTER

READY?

GEORGIE PORTER
    GEORGIE PORTER
    GEORGIE PORTER

(To conclude with tin whistle, pipes and full flourish)

• beastboybeastboy Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I've noticed that every time john prematurely says YAYAYAYA BAMBA, y. bamba usually messes up. In episode 20,(i just watched it) john passes it to y. bamba without singing and scores (then sings). The backstory of y. bamba could include him being so agitated by people singing that that whenever he hears that song he has a breakdown. Or maybe singing y bamba prematurely is a curse
    by beastboy
    edited January 2014
    In #24 Manager John Green asks the question of:
    What is Saint-Luce the patron of?

In answer to that, St Luke (remember, it's a French name, is Luke the Evangelist, the good doctor and the gospel writer; and is the patron saint of artists, physicians, surgeons, students and butchers.

BUT Since he's from Guadeloupe, there is one stand out candidate for me:
    You're wondering now,
    what to do, 
    now you know,
    this is the end.
    by Rollo

• ChrisF22ChrisF22 Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    For the new player: White

Black White: He's White, He's Black, He's also Black and White, Black White, Black White
    by ChrisF22
    edited January 2014
    Rollo said:
    (To conclude with tin whistle, pipes and full flourish)
    If we can convince John to play an instrument in a video that would be great. Unfortunatly, not having his hands on the controls will probably not end up well.
    by gerenjie
  • MrKiddGuyMrKiddGuy Posts: 1
    I feel that P.Sweeney should have some sort of name like tod, as in "sweeney tod"
  • WingspanTNRWingspanTNR Iowa, USPosts: 116 ✭✭
    MrKiddGuy said:
    I feel that P.Sweeney should have some sort of name like tod, as in "sweeney tod"
    John's already named him Sweeney Podd if that helps