Rock Climbing?

Hey
I'm curious to know, does any other Nerdfighters do rockclimbing?
because I'm 14 and i can climb a level 6c but I'm wondering if that's below or above average for my age group.
so if anybody wants to comment below what kind of level they are at and what level you need to be to compete that would be great.

Comments

• turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I climb, but just recreationally.  I have NO idea what a 6c is though.  We must use a different difficulty rating here.  Most things are rated 5.0 to 5.15, and when I'm healthy I climb around a 5.8.  A couple of factors go into how well you climb and competition climbing.  Age is obviously one, but also sex.  Guys tend to be more about speed and strength whereas girls are more technical, generally speaking.  
    If you're really wanting to get into it, I recommend finding a gym nearby or else a spot that's set up for sport (as opposed to trad) climbing.  Then just talk to people and they'll be able to guide you toward competitions and help you get better.  I've belayed for a couple youth competitions, but never competed myself.  But yeah...get your own harness and shoes and just kind of work on things that give you trouble, whether that's blocks or small holds or overhangs or chimneys or whatever it is.  From there, search "youth rock climbing competition" in your city/state/region.  
    If you do wind up doing things, please post here about it and/or @ reply me.  I'd LOVE to hear about it!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • SpeedchainSpeedchain The man-made land.Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I got into climbing last year. I'm from the Netherlands and we lack real rock walls so I climb indoor, although I haven't been able to for the last 4-5 months due to injuries and the like. I've participated in a competition, but those are just getting started over here on the recreational level. I was also around the 6c level before I was forced to quit and I'm hoping to get back to climbing in the next few weeks or month.

If you're using the same grading systems as me then you're definitely climbing above average, but that doesn't say much for competitions. I don't know how the competitions work where you are, but we had different categories depending on your age and skill. I recommend you to go compete in some because it's a lot of fun, you meet new people and you learn a lot of things.
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey y'all, I just joined and I'm glad to see other climbers here! I'm 29 and have been climbing for about 5 years now.

Dragontrainer, it's really hard to say what's good, because grading can vary greatly from region to region. Like, I live in Philadelphia, and people frequently tell me that it's harsher around here (ie. a 5.8 on the east coast might be a 5.10 on the west coast). turdl38 is right though, if you want to train more, or compete, you have to go to a gym and talk to people. I will say this, I've found climbers to be some of the nicest and most supportive community in any sports I've been in. People are generally, non-competitve (which I like), and are forthcoming with advice and technique. Since you're still pretty young, a lot of gyms offer youth programs to train.

climb safe!

"The only way out is through." -Frost
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I got into climbing last year. I'm from the Netherlands and we lack real rock walls so I climb indoor, although I haven't been able to for the last 4-5 months due to injuries and the like. I've participated in a competition, but those are just getting started over here on the recreational level. I was also around the 6c level before I was forced to quit and I'm hoping to get back to climbing in the next few weeks or month.

If you're using the same grading systems as me then you're definitely climbing above average, but that doesn't say much for competitions. I don't know how the competitions work where you are, but we had different categories depending on your age and skill. I recommend you to go compete in some because it's a lot of fun, you meet new people and you learn a lot of things.
    Where in the Netherlands do you climb? I've seen pictures of some gnarly gyms out there! I've joked with friends of mine about flying out there just to climb Excalibur :D
    "The only way out is through." -Frost
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Another thing to do is get pretty good at belaying.  If you're a decent belayer, that can help you meet people.  Go to a gym or another spot with a bouldering area AND a top-rope area then you can make friends by offering to trade belays with another boulderer.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • ColorsFallLikeSnowColorsFallLikeSnow Night ValePosts: 1
    Hello, @Dragontrainer. I'm around your age and I'm on a competitive climbing team. My gym uses the same rating system as @turdl38, so I don't know what a 6c is. But I think your level just depends on how often you climb, and I know adults who can't do V1s while I can do V3s. That's just because I climb for 4-6 hours a week, though. You should try to compare yourself to people who are at your level of dedication, not your age- there's an eight year old at my gym who climbs the same level as me. You probably don't even need this anymore because you posted two years ago, haha. Oh well. DFTBA.