Back story change

We must make John fix his change of story! I, as well as many of you, I assume, miss the original story.

Comments

• un_beknownstun_beknownst Posts: 55 ✭✭
    We must make John fix his change of story! I, as well as many of you, I assume, miss the original story.
    What do you mean?
  • WingspanTNRWingspanTNR Iowa, USPosts: 116 ✭✭
    What do you mean?
    He means that John changed the backgrounds for Bald John Green and Other John Green from what he'd already established in the early days of his FIFA playing, as well as defying literally years' worth of Swoodilypooper fanfiction. What's going on, John?
    He means that John changed the backgrounds for Bald John Green and Other John Green from what he'd already established in the early days of his FIFA playing, as well as defying literally years' worth of Swoodilypooper fanfiction. What's going on, John?
    What did he change?
  • He means that John changed the backgrounds for Bald John Green and Other John Green from what he'd already established in the early days of his FIFA playing, as well as defying literally years' worth of Swoodilypooper fanfiction. What's going on, John?
    What did he change?
    How the johns met, made ojg into an american and bjg into and englishman and i think there were other things that i cannot think of at the moment
  • ladycovington15ladycovington15 somewhere only we know <3Posts: 42 ✭✭
    It wasn't huge changes, from the notes that I've made. Some little minor stuff, mostly contradictory with the canon-made fanfiction written by @CertainlyUncertain. Timeline issues, like how, where, and when they met, how long they've been married, that kind of thing. Their backstories: in "The Johns Green" BJG was American and OJG English. Their ages, as well...

He also messed up some things in the timeline that I'm creating, but I think I'm just going to ignore him and push forward my own story...
    I, uh, wrote this thing.
    It's Bald John Green/Other John Green fanfiction.
    I'd rather shamelessly self-promote it than spam you on ALL the forums, so here we go =)
    edited November 2013
    RichardTHanna said: How the johns met, made ojg into an american and bjg into and englishman and i think there were other things that i cannot think of at the moment
    Ok. So how do you propose to make him change it?
    by un_beknownst
  • RichardTHanna said: How the johns met, made ojg into an american and bjg into and englishman and i think there were other things that i cannot think of at the moment
    Ok. So how do you propose to make him change it?
    I do not know. I just wanted to express my disapproval a bit. Poor word choice on my part.
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a Tardis thing?
    Like time/other details got warped by their multiple trips in the Tardis. Or this is a different incarnation of BJG/OJG?
    Catherine said:
    Like time/other details got warped by their multiple trips in the Tardis. Or this is a different incarnation of BJG/OJG?

That's true. And, like Doctor Who, maybe John Plays FIFA has an elastic form of canon. In DW stuff changes all the time. While time travel and alternate dimensions aren't as integral to the premise as they are in DW, it *is* there. (Plus, as has been evident from the very beginning, John is an Unreliable Narrator.)
  • Skip6235Skip6235 Posts: 1
    I do prefer the original backstory to the new one, so I'm just going to ignore the new one. I do wish John would acknowledge the change, so we can hear why he did it. Maybe he has a good reason?
  • LobstershrubLobstershrub Posts: 14

Catherine said:

That's true. And, like Doctor Who, maybe John Plays FIFA has an elastic form of canon. In DW stuff changes all the time. While time travel and alternate dimensions aren't as integral to the premise as they are in DW, it *is* there. (Plus, as has been evident from the very beginning, John is an Unreliable Narrator.)
    I would argue that alternate dimensions are very integral to the premise of John Plays FIFA, and nowhere is this seen more than in the characters of Bald and Other John Greens. Time, as our new team name reminds us, is not linear. Yes, the likely explanation is that John just kinda forgot what he said a long time ago and went with what seemed like a good story at the time he was saying it, but I think that's okay and that we as a fan base can and should accept these changes. In many ways, Wimbledon is a clean slate, where we can forget the slow descent into madness that was the last season of Swindon and embrace a new team with new players and stories to fall in love with.
    "...in a mood poised between elation and utter despair."
    edited November 2013
    In many ways, Wimbledon is a clean slate, where we can forget the slow descent into madness that was the last season of Swindon and embrace a new team with new players and stories to fall in love with. 

I don't know, I was kind of enjoying the slow descent into madness. 

Like, I'm imagining a forked timeline where Manager John Green had to take a job managing a non-league club (because no one else would hire him). Maybe he ended up at Forest Green Rovers (because Green, get it?), and now the roster is entirely ginger. (Except for new captain One Size Fitz Hall, who's now 40 years old and can't even run anymore because his knees have been ravaged by injury and arthritis.) Home games sell out now, not because of the team- who have suffered successive relegations and are now in the 7th tier- but because of the manager's loud and dramatic nervous breakdowns on the touchline. 
    by un_beknownst