Rollo's In Town - Look Out!

RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrueAirstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in HankGames
#8 - Rochdale

The Wimbly-Womblys travelled up the M6 to the market town located in Greater Manchester (spit) known as Rochdale. First cited in the Domesday Book of 1086, Rochdale is in the traditional hundred of Salford and was granted a royal charter in 1251.

Being in Greater Manchester (spit) the town used to lie in the heart of Lancashire's textile industry and was probably one of the examples of those "dark Satanic Mills" which William Blake wrote about in the preface to his epic "Milton: a Poem".

Of course with the decline of Britain's manufacturing industries and it textile industry in particular, Rochdale is currently famous for two things: 
1. Being the home of Gillian Duffy, who the then PM Gordon Brown called a 'bigoted woman' during the 2010 Election campaign.
2. Diddly Squat.

People of Rochdale don't tend to have the same Mancunian whine which people closer to the city have and speak wi' a more Lanc'y speak like. Maybe more like Burnley:

Handy Hint:
Rochdale is in Lancashire, England. Rockdale is in Sydney, Australia.
by Rollo
"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    #9 - Newport

Bore da Boyo!

Located in south Wales (as opposed to New South Wales, which looks nothing like south Wales), Newport is a town which kind of lies on the Severn River (if it can be called a river at that point) and the River Usk. 

Essentially a port city, Newport was a major export point from which coal and steel left Wales for the rest of the world; like a lot of former coal and steel communities, the city has been in decline since the 1970s.
    Famously the Newport Rugby club once beat New Zealand on their 1963-64 tour. Newport also boasts the Wales National Velodrome which acts as the home of Welsh Cycling.

More recently, Newport has been used as filming locations for Doctor Who by BBC Cymru and arguably Newport's most famous recent sons are the rap/hip-hop group Goldie Lookin' Chain who have peaked at No.3 on the UK charts.

Aside for John Green:
    These places haven't been 'made up' and they aren't fictional. In any given year there are probably as many as 7000 teams in England. The 92 which make up the league aren't merely 'made up' to fit the game.
    by Rollo
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

edited November 2013
    #10 - York
    #11 - York

Oh, The grand old Duke of York,
    He had ten thousand men;
    He marched them up to the top of the hill,
    And he marched them down again.

And when they were up, they were up,
    And when they were down, they were down,
    And when they were only half-way up,
    They were neither up nor down.

That there sums up the utter futility of the British Army. A general who had no idea what he was doing, directing troops about the place for no reason at all.
    Welcome to the City of York, the ceremonial county of Yorkshire and the centre of the white rose community (I stand on the other side, being a red rose man - BOO!)

The Romans founded the city in the year 71 and called it Eboracum but that was too hard to say by the flat-cap wearing locals who simply decided to call it York. It became the capital of the appropriately named Roman province of Britannia Inferior. 

During the industrial revolution York mainly made textiles and other heavy manufactures based around coal and steel but bizarrely, by the mid 1950s the City's biggest trade was in the production of sweeties. Rowntree and Nestle both had factories in York and York itself lends it's name to the best chocolate bar in the universe, the "Yorkie"

We should point out at this juncture that under the Chocolate Manufacture and Sales Act (1973), that it is illegal for the Yorkie bar to be consumed by females; Yorkie bars carry a handy warning label.

Apart from the Rowntrees, York has produced some famous people such as two times British Touring Car Champion James Thompson, the Rev WH Auden who wrote Thomas the Tank Engine, actress Judi Dench and physician John Snow who identified cholera and suggested that unsanitary water was to blame.

One useful thing to note about people from Yorkshire generally is that their accent makes them almost impossible to understand and because most of them are thieves and blaggards, the people of Lancashire built the Penines out of brick to keep them out. Every brick is stamped "Made in Lancashire" just to remind the people of Yorkshire, just how rubbish they are.
    It's also of note that more often than not, people will tend to mis-type the word "Yorkshire" as "Yorkshite" which was in fact deliberate by the people who invented the keyboard layout; also to remind the people of Yorkshire, just how rubbish they are.
    by Rollo

edited December 2013
    #12 Plymouth

Plymouth Argyle hold a number of interesting accolades. They are both the most southerly club in the football league and the most westerly. The club crest features the Mayflower which took pilgrims to the New World and the club has the nickname of "The Pilgrims".
    Up until 2003 when Yeovil Town entered the football league, they were the only green club of the 92 and since Hull City earned promotion to the Premier League, the city of Plymouth is now the largest in England never to have hosted top-flight football. 

Unsurprisingly, Plymouth itself is mainly a maritime town. It was very much associated with the Royal Navy, was instrumental in transporting convicts to Australia, and its most famous resident was Sir Francis Drake. 
    Plymouth also boasts a fairly nice brand of gin and one of only a few sloe gin manufacturers. Possibly because of this, Plymouth Gin has become a protected term of origin in European Law. 
    by Rollo

#13 Morecambe

Morecambe's most famous son Eric, was orginally John Eric Bartholomew and along with Ernie Wise, Eric Morecambe would remain a very popular double act in radio, film and televsion for more than 40 years. A statue of  Eric Morecambe takes pride of place in the town today.

The town itself was founded in 1846 as an extension of the railway to the sea but apart from minor fishing and tourism, the town remained small.

One of its most famous moments was when the then PM Enoch Powell made a speech extolling the virtues of the free market and privatisation of industries and how the rate of income tax could be lowered from 8/3 to 4/3 in the pound. This speech came to be known as the "Morecambe Budget" and probably was a forerunner to Thatcherism which ironically would spell the death knell of a lot of industry in small towns including Morecambe itself.

Morecambe FC was promoted to the Football League in 2007 for the first time since its formation in 1920 and its original ground, Christie Park, was demolished in 2010 after 90 years of service, to make room for a Sainsburys supermarket.
    Ironically, despite Morecambe FC having a shrimp on their crest and being nicknamed "The Shrimps", their mascot is Christie the Cat.

edited December 2013
    #14 Bristol

Bristol boasts two football teams: one which lends its name to an amusing piece of rhyming slang and the other (Bristol Rovers) which is famous for diddly-squat. 

The city is associated with the great engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel (who came from Swindon) but built the SS Great Britain and SS Great Western steamships and the Clifton Suspension Bridge to cross the River Avon in the city. Samuel Plimsoll who also came from Bristol invented a loading line on the side of ships and hymn writer and theologian John Wesley invented the Methodist Church here as well.

When the Great Western Railway arrived, the people of Bristol decided that London Time was far too la-dee-dah and posh like for them and so they retained "Bristol Time" which is ten minutes behind that of London.

Not content with having its own time; in an attempt to encourage local business, Bristol also invented the Bristol Pound. The £B is tariffed on a 1:1 rate with the Pound Sterling; so take that Brussels!

World famous wall scribbler Banksy came from Bristol. Now that he's left the city for good, the police of Bristol haven't had to do nearly as much work; so little in fact that they only work on weekends now. To contact them people do not dial 999 but write a letter.

Some say... that Ben Collins was the The Stig and that Wallace and Gromit may have come from Bristol. All we know is... that 77% of Bristolians don't believe in the number 8.

Addenda:
    Clarkson who plays for Bristol Rovers is probably the greatest player... in the world.
    by Rollo

edited December 2013
    #15 Hartlepool

During the Napoleonic Wars, a french ship was wrecked off the coast of Hartlepool and the only survivor was the ship's mascot, a monkey; and it was dressed in a French uniform. A trial was held and because the monkey did not answer any of the questions put to it, it was declared guilty of being the enemy and French, and was hanged. 

To this day Hartlepudlians are often known as "monkey hangers" and the mascot of Hartlepool is amusingly called "H'Angus"... the monkey.

Once upon a time, Hartlepool was a semi-prominent ship building town. The last ship to be built there was completed in 1961 and when it was finished, it marked the finish of most of the town. The current largest  employer in the town is the Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station; which thanks to an amusing series of events following the privatisation of the UK's National Grid, is now owned and operated by EDF Energy. EDF stands for Électricité de France, which makes one think that the story of the monkey, has come full circle.
    by Rollo

edited December 2013
    #16 Bristol again and #17 Bristol again again
    Having already talked about Bristol, I thought it might be fun to post about other things that Bristol is noted for.

Apart from the Witch of Wooky who lives in Wookey Hole Caves and Gordon The Goblin who can be seen in shop fronts in the high street, Bristol is also the home of poop. Maybe not quite the home but certainly a way of classifying it.

Developed by Dr. Ken Heaton at the University of Bristol and published in 1997, the chart provides a semi-useful medical aid for communication. Several doctors at the University of Bristol thought that Dr. Heaton was full of it. Although not entirely useful for determining digestive transit time, the mere existence of it might help to explain why there are so many gastro pubs in Bristol.
    by Rollo

#18 Bury

Bury, located in the northern suburbs of Manchester, like so much of the area was historically known for its textiles and linens; so much so that the word "Manchester" in Australia and New Zealand is a collective term for bedding and bed linens.
    Depending on even where on lives in Bury, the town's name can be made to rhyme with Yuri or Berry. 

Bury's self-styled "world famous" market is according to its website "quite rightly world famous" and whilst I don't know if that means that it has tickets on itself, the Black Pudding Stalls within the Bury Markets are certainly world famous in Lancashire.

Sir Robert Peel, the inventor or modern policing and for whom the nickname "Bobbies" for London's Metropolitan Police is derived, came from the village of Ramsbottom immediately to the north of Bury. A monument to Sir Robert Peel called Peel Tower stands on Harcles Hill and overlooks the town of Bury. Opened in September 1852, the Manchester Grauniad described Peel Tower as  "not a specimen of architectural beauty". 

Bury FC shares a ground, Gigg Lane, with FC United of Manchester, who like AFC Wimbledon was started in protest by the supporters against the owners of a far richer club (scum). Surprisingly, Bury FC has two FA Cup wins, being 1900 and 1903, which I suppose only serves to show that it's grim up north.

#19 Crawley

Located in West Sussex, Crawley is on the face of it, another pokey little town with not much going for it. It didn't have really anything of import within its environs until the Ministry of Defence sequestered its airport during WW2 and Crawley's airstrip which was originally for the racecourse, suddenly found itself the property of the RAF.
    Consequently after the war, the airstrip was turned into an airport and subesequently, Gatwick is now the world's busiest single-runway international airport. Because of this, Crawley is also where the head office of Virgin Atlantic Airways is located.

Curiously, Crawley is also the fictional birthplace of 2D from the Gorillaz. Officially his father David worked as a mechanic and fairground owner while his mother Rachel was a nurse. Crawley was also the town in which The Cure was formed.

edited December 2013
    #20 Rotherham

"Rotherham can't have been that hard to unite"- John Green
    The thing about Rotherham is that it is a town almost entirely devoid of interest. It is an area which is known for Steel production but most of that has shut down, it was known for its mills (and hence why Rotherham are called the Millers) and was the home of a Hovis bakery before that too shut down and was also the site of pottery and brass making before most of those industries were also shut down.
    BBC Top Gear's very own "Captain Slow" James May, spent his teenage years at Oakwood Comprehensive School in Rotherham, Jeremy Clarkson cut his journalistic teeth at the Rotherham Advertiser and Jamie Oliver's television series Jamie's Ministry of Food was also based there.
    Curiously, Rotherham has produced two very fine goalkeepers. England World Cup winning keeper Gordon Banks grew up in the area, as did England World Cup not winning keeper David Seaman.

Rotherham United has never been in the top flight and its only piece of silverware is the 1996 Football League Trophy. I hear though, that the club has an impressive collection of spoons. 
    by Rollo