Rants, rants, and more rants!

Starting this because world suck can be frustrating and sometimes we just need to get it off our chest.
So rant nerdfighters! Rant your heart out!
DFTBA

Comments

• SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    Teachers, please stop thanking students for showing up to class. We're glad you're appreciative, but don't. Because WE ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO BE THERE! Regardless of if we enjoy it or we want to be there or not, we have to. Would I thank you for breathing? Or paying your taxes? No, because you had to. Same here.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • MasterNeoMasterNeo Valley Stream, New YorkPosts: 9
    This is not meant to be mean to the people I am talking about, it is not meant to ask them to change what they do it is a matter of circumstance that I just get annoyed by.

Why are all nerd girls in relationships. Every time I find a girl that is actually interesting, cute, and an all around awesome person they are already in a relationship. The friend zone of a nerd girl is like watching an animal documentary. Wait for a nerd female to enter a room filled to the brim with nerd men. After five minutes these people will be surrounded by nerds on the prowl. I feel like I'm the starving lion and too slow the meat. Why can't there just be more awesome nerdy girls, or at least one more for just me :). Rant over, I don't mean to offend anyone.
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    The amount of bureaucracy at my university is just super annoying and something could be so more effective if there were less forms and weird procedures.

Teachers, please stop being annoyed that 50% of the class fails, if you teach us stuff that was in the tests after the tests is completed. It is not our fault that we fail because you didn't give us the complete information. Also I would like some help if you want to see me graduate soon, but apparently its too difficult to email a student the different options for an thesis and help them with finding an thesis project.

Chinese people, stop staring at me, secretly take pictures of me or just put your child next to me and then take a picture. Come on its 2013! and a blonde white girl in china should not be that interesting. Also IT HURTS if you pull my hair!
    by romy16

• **when I say "you" I don't mean any nerdfighter...I actually wrote this about my sister but sssh!**
    You claim you're too stressed dealing with your own problems to deal with everyone else's. One question.  How the french toast are we related!? Imagine how much more stressed you would if you had cancer or had to walk seven miles for water.  Like how can you not stop to think about the world?  IT'S ALL AROUND YOU.  Watching Bad Girls Club which literally makes me puke and hate humanity instead of watching the news which albeit depressing most of the time, increases your ability to empathize with others and this it is an opportunity to better yourself isn't fathomable to me. I get all have different opinions but you're my sister!  Like we have the same parents, same economic standing, we're living in generally the same generation and yet we're literally the opposite of one another on almost EVERYTHING THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS. You kind of represent what I generally dislike about today's American popular culture.  You've given up on dreaming. You look at the 1% and want to be them yet you're still in the 5% so you don't have that much to complain about.  You would rather be rich and have an extravagant house than like help other human beings?  I just don't get why we value money for more than what it is worth.  Where you spend your dollar matters, of course.  But it is still a dollar.
    DFTBA
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man good idea for a thread, I have two things.

1. I really hate it when people say really obvious things about you and don't pose it as a compliment, just a general statement or question. I am really tall for a girl (just under 6ft) and people always say to me, "You're really tall". I never know how to respond... yes, I know? Thank you for pointing it out? I'm not really that content with my height tbh and it's frustrating when people just state it to me. Even worse than that is when people go, "Why are you so tall?" Idk maybe because it's in my genes???? WHAT DO THEY WANT ME TO SAY? IT JUST MAKES ME GET ALL AWKWARD. And obviously people who say this don't mean for it to be rude or anything, it's all completely innocent, but it just frustrates me so much. It's like going up to someone and saying, "Why are your eyes brown?" It's like people marvelling at you, like wOw, so tall, but I wouldn't go up to someone who's small and be like, "Why are you so short?" because first of all, WHY???? and second of all, I wouldn't want to offend anyone in case they dislike being short. It just seems so pointless to say these things idk man idk.

2. Most of my friends are always late. It's annoying because they wouldn't be late for their jobs or their classes or anything like that, but when it comes to me it seems like they just think, oh well, it's just Ash, she won't mind waiting while I take my time and arrive 15 minutes late. I feel like they take me for granted because of this and it just generally makes me feel lousy. I know they probably don't mean for me to feel bad but also I know that they can get to places on time when they really need to, and when it comes to me they think they can just keep me waiting. One of my friends often says she'll meet me at mine (I live close to a lot of places we go, so she'll park outside mine and we'll just walk places) at a certain time like, say, 1:30, and she'll text me at 1:45 or something like that and be like, "Just leaving now" and I'll just be waiting around. I just feel like yelling at all of them, "COULD YOU MAYBE VALUE MY FRIENDSHIP ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY MEET ME ON TIME?" It just seems really rude to me. SIGH.

That was good to get out :)
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more on the lateness thing.  I'm really insecure anyway and often feel like I don't actually matter to my friends.  So if you don't show up on time, it just perpetuates my feeling uncared about.  Minimally text me and tell me you're going to be late BEFORE you're actually late!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    @ashsaysehello, Next time, if somebody askes you, Why are you soo tall? reply with Why are your eyes blue or why are you so short? That's what I do, works fine.

And one of my friends is also always a bit late, but not like 15 minutes late. Generally, everybody here comes on time and if not they will be told that is not appropriate or text before that they will be a bit late, part of the Dutch culture, we generally dislike if something is not on time.

• KimMullicanKimMullican NW IndianaPosts: 20 ✭✭
    Assholes that report you for no reason on FB. Only happened once but it was from a person who was cussing everyone else (including me) out and I had to get a stupid slap on the wrist via PM. Grr. Get your panties out of a wad.

Sorry - I've never been reported before - really burned my ass!
    This is why you don't join facebook
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    So, at my school, to be an English major, you have to achieve something called "Writing Proficiency" in the major. How one does this is as follows: he/she signs up for English 200, goes to class, and at the end of the semester, writes a 9-page paper for the class. To earn writing proficiency, a student must receive at least a B- on the paper. If a student does not receive a B- on that paper, he/she cannot become an English major at my school, and he/she can also not re-take English 200.

I am in the process of writing this paper, and let me tell you: it is stressful.

So, just so you see my problem with this process, a student can technically do well all year, receive a good overall grade in the course, but if he/she does not do well on that one paper, he/she can kiss his/her major goodbye! Do professors even realize how much pressure this puts on their students? What if one of us falls ill? What if a family member dies? What if we're going through a bad breakup and our paper comes out crappy and neglected?

The logic, as explained to me by my professor, for this standard is as follows: English majors have to write a lot of papers, and if you can't receive a B- on this one paper, than you probably shouldn't be an English major, because this paper is pretty easy (which, granted, it is). This course is designed to groom English majors to write academic papers well, and to weed out those who can't before the bigger, meaner courses.

But my professor conveniently forgets, people take the bigger, meaner courses all the time before they take English 200! And people do just fine in them! I mean, I guess I could understand requiring that students get a B- as their overall grade for the class, but to put so much emphasis on one paper? asodaosfjhaosf!

And conversely, somebody could slack off the whole year, slip by with a C- in the course, and write a good paper. They don't deserve to be an English major, they might not be ready for the bigger, meaner courses, but as long as they got that B- on that one assignment, no worries!

I mean, asfnasjfaspifsiaisfn!

Anyway, I guess I'd better get back to writing my paper now.
    Why does it bother me when people where hats with really bent bills? They have the right to wear what they want without me having an opinion! I don't want it to bother me, stop it!
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    I wear hats with really bent bills, it hugs my head better

I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
    It bugs me a whole lot more when people wear ball-caps with the bills left super flat and the stickers left on and crap. To me, it makes the person look like an absolute idiot.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    @luke_earl_molle, your profile picture is confusing me and I can't even figure out why it's confusing me.  I just feel like there needs to be more picture in that picture or something.  Yes, I'm a weirdo.  I admit it.

Anyway, the rant I actually came here to post: I hate being scared so much.  I feel like after having gone through this kind of thing for over 12 years, I should be able to just take it in stride and keep fighting.  But no.  Instead I'm lying here as it nears 1 AM just terrified, trying not to sob my brains out but feeling tears welling up in my eyes.  I hate being scared and not being able to control the emotion.  I wish I could just be held and actually have support locally to me or feel the distant support more and...ugh.  I don't even know.  It sucks.  And will continue to suck.  And I can't decide if I want to know or not.  I feel like there's not really a good outcome here.  Not a good feeling.  Somebody just come hold my hand Tuesday morning.
  • ItsyBitsyItsyBitsy MarylandPosts: 56
    Rant #1. I just wish my brother could stop being a selfish prat. He's 11 years old and still throws tantrums over spilled milk. He's a perfectionist, annoying, and in general a half stereotype half hipster-ish-high-breed-thingy (I like this part), and complains and wines whenever something doesn't go his way and I'm sick of it.

Rant #2. I NEED TO STOP BEING SO NICE! I always go to the people with very little friends first and sometimes it's good and other times not so much! Now I'm practically stuck with one friend who, majority of the time, irritates me to all heck, and another who is immature, a spoiled brat, and takes everything dirty, and is not a very good friend in general.

Rant #3. WHY THE HECK ARE MIDTERMS A WEEK AFTER WE GET BACK FROM BREAK!?!? (i.e. next week) ALSO WHO THE HECK DECIDED RELIGION EXAMS WERE AN OKAY THING?!?!?!

(I'm sorry for yelling. v.v)
    Don't Forget To Smile
  • LiljaLilja IcelandPosts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I KNOW!!! I GOT BACK FROM CHRISTMAS BREAK TODAY AND MY FIRST FINAL IS ON FRIDAY!!! THIS IS NOT OK.
    If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. -Alice in Wonderland

I live in the land of the last ones :)

edited January 2014
    @turdl38 I don't like flat bills that much, but sometimes I do wear them, or at least I did when I had one. I like the stage in between bent and flat too though, the one that they wear on Nitro Circus. How it is just a little bent, but not very far, I would be able to wear a hat like that.

Also if the picture was much bigger, you would be able to tell that I'm not wearing a shirt easier. You can tell if you look, but it isn't overly noticeable.
    by Luke_Earl_Molle
    @luke_earl_molle, I prefer slightly bent too.  I can tell you're not wearing a shirt in the picture, but I think it's the pillows or whatever behind you that make it look weird.
    WHY is it seemingly too hard for people to figure out the differences between the different forms of homonyms?!  I am so sick of seeing "to" where it should be "too," "your" where it should be "you're," "there" when it should be "their" or "they're," and the even more egregious "our" when it should be "are."  I learned that in 3rd grade.  I was 8 years old.  I promise it's not that hard!!!  If you have a disability or English isn't your first language, I will give you a grace period of a couple months to figure it out, but most of the mistakes I see are people who were raised in English-speaking countries and many even went to the same schools I did!
    Similarly, teachers, if your students are in 6th grade or higher, PLEASE penalize them for this kind of thing in papers and stuff! College professors, this kind of mistake can and should be an automatic 10-15% grade deduction if not an automatic zero.  I'm so sick of having to go back and figure out what people mean just because they suck at the English language!
    @turdl38 that is my afgan blanet, I should probably pay more attention to what is behind me when I take pictures.
    Totally unrelated: 
    I hate when people hide behind religion as an excuse to be bigoted, hateful, etc.  If you "love the sinner, but hate the sin," the sinner will have a 99% chance of winding up feeling hated too.  Jesus taught to love everybody.  There was no "unless" or "except" after He stated to "Love thy neighbor."  At least not in any version of the Bible I've ever seen or read.  I am not religious nor do I even really believe in God, but I did grow up in a very Christian home and HAVE read the Bible...from cover to cover.  
    You can vote against things in private.  That's fine.  But when you start saying that "all gays are pedophiles" or some other untrue load of crap, you're going to alienate people.  You just are!  
    I'm so sick of having roughly 1/3-1/2 of the teen unit at the psych hospital where I work be kids who are suicidal, yet not able to meet the diagnostic criteria for ANY mood or personality disorder!  They're just scared because they live in an ultra religious and ridiculously conservative community.  They are queer or they are thinking that they might be queer and so they see no way out, because they cannot imagine being accepted by their family or their peers.
    It's absolutely NOT a choice.  Nobody would choose to be a part of one of the world's most hated minority groups, especially not in their already-vulnerable adolescent years!  If you think it is, go try to fall in love with somebody you don't already love or change your sexual orientation for a couple weeks.  It won't work!
    Quit being jerkfaces, people.  And if you must be a jerkface, do NOT use a religion that preaches love and peace to excuse yourself!

turdl38 said:
    WHY is it seemingly too hard for people to figure out the differences between the different forms of homonyms?!  I am so sick of seeing "to" where it should be "too," "your" where it should be "you're," "there" when it should be "their" or "they're," and the even more egregious "our" when it should be "are."  I learned that in 3rd grade.  I was 8 years old.  I promise it's not that hard!!!  If you have a disability or English isn't your first language, I will give you a grace period of a couple months to figure it out, but most of the mistakes I see are people who were raised in English-speaking countries and many even went to the same schools I did!
    Similarly, teachers, if your students are in 6th grade or higher, PLEASE penalize them for this kind of thing in papers and stuff! College professors, this kind of mistake can and should be an automatic 10-15% grade deduction if not an automatic zero.  I'm so sick of having to go back and figure out what people mean just because they suck at the English language!
    Most teachers do penalize stuff like that, and I will admit, that I have some troubles with the "there's" but usually only when I'm rushing or am just plain not thinking about it.
    Don't Forget To Smile
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    SUV
    Sports Utility Vehicle? You're kidding me right?

Sports - A sports car is traditionally a two-seater with an open top, thought the term has expanded to include two-door coupes. Admittedly big four-wheel-drive vehicles have shown their sporting prowess in events like the Dakar but in general, a two tonnne behemoth doesn't accelerate, brake or handle as well as even a normal sedan. I bet that if you took a normal Range Rover and put it up against a Toyota GT-86 on a lap of Silverstone, the 86 would win hands down.

Utility - No. Just No. I'm already sore about the fact that both GM and Ford have decided to end production in Australia; so this means that the only proper Utility left in the world is the Ford Bakkie of South Africa. If you want to talk about a lower case utility vehicle, then a GM Colorado or a VW Amarok has far more usable space for your gen-set and your tools than what usually basically amounts to a jacked up wagon used for carting about kiddiewinks.

Vehicle - I'll conceed this.

SUVs for all intents and purposes are fancy wagons. For goodness sake, Range Rover still refer to their cars as "estate cars" and Mitsubishi even up right up to a few years ago were putting stickers on their Pajero which even said "wagon". There's nothing "Sporty" and not a lot "Utility" about these things.
    IMWPO the term SUV is about as accurate as the Jerusalem Artichoke which is neither an artichoke and doesn't come from Jerusalem.

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    @Rollo The term SUV is refering to the fact that they can be used to transport sporting equipment. If you get into a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Explorer, both can be used in sports that so called 'sports cars' can't handle at all. They are used in some motor sports, and can be used as vehicles to transport sport stuff. Techniqeualy they are indeed for Sports, used for Utilities, and quiet seriously Vehicles. They are what they say they are. I may have different veiws about it than you because I am in an area where people use SUVs for sports, and from what I know in a lot of areas nobody does such sports. Take a sports car out mudding with a SUV, see which one makes it out the other side. How about a tractor pull, both of the last two things I have mentioned are both considered sports where I live, and both can be done by SUV's. I know plenty of people that haul sporting gear in there SUV's also.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    @Rollo The term SUV is refering to the fact that they can be used to transport sporting equipment. 
    Once.
    They are used in some motor sports, and can be used as vehicles to transport sport stuff.
    Twice
     I know plenty of people that haul sporting gear in there SUV's also.
    Third and final.

I can carry sporting gear in a Peugeot 206 but that doesn't make it a sports car. I can carry a washing machine with the rear seats folded down and  that doesn't make it a utility.

Sports Car -  a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving.
    - Merriam-Webster

The term SUV was first used in 1986 as a marketing epithet by Chrysler for their Cherokee Limited. It still doesn't really make the thing a thing. 

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
    - Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll (1871)
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    edited January 2014
    PAGE LIMITS
    okay dear teachers I get that you don't want me talking for a super long time about the advice from my research. BUT don't expect me to fit my advice and description of my research on 8 pages including the implementation plan and an financial overview. THAT IS NOT GOING TO FIT. My research is just too complicated to fit on 8 pages!!

PLEASE STOP SETTING THE LIMIT SO LOW!

by romy16

edited January 2014
    Okay... one more for today I think.

Dear Teachers of the world,
    If you KNOW Midterms are next week, do everyone a favor, DON'T ASSIGN A TEST. THERE IS VERY LITTLE CHANCE I'LL STUDY FOR IT BECAUSE OF THE 7 MIDTERMS I NEED TO PREPARE FOR, PLUS WHATEVER HOMEWORK SOME DAMN TEACHER DECIDES IS AN OKAY THING TO ASSIGN. ALSO PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE start having your long-term subs actually audition for the class with you present, because right now no one can deal with how terrible that sub you've left us with for the next couple of months with. (who just so happens to be the one giving us the test on Wednesday).
    by ItsyBitsy
    Don't Forget To Smile
    @Rollo The thing is they aren't saying it is a sports car. They are saying it can be used for sporting utilities, which it can. I used to have an old SUV, it was a Suburban, and we called the SAV or Suburban Assault Vehicle. SUV's are a type of car that can be used for many things, though have a title that makes no since.
    Why do people think that just because I'm a cancer patient, they should automatically send me any article that's cancer-related in any way, even the ones that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with my forms of cancer?!  Like that PIZZZAA cancer makeover video.  It's almost more cruel than funny and it's been going around the internet for 3-4 months at least now.  I don't need every idiot to send it to me when they discover it just because it has the word "cancer" in it.  If it's new research for a blood cancer or related to what my best friend died from (rhabdomyosarcoma), okay, send it to me.  But if it's about lung cancer, or worse, some pink-ribbon branded product that doesn't actually do a damn thing for breast cancer patients and their families, I really don't care and don't want to see it!