Rants, rants, and more rants!

Comments

• THE_MONGOLSTHE_MONGOLS KING OF EVERYTHING ULANBAATARPosts: 324 ✭✭✭
    BANKS AND CHILDREN.

WE APPLIED TO THE HMOGOGO BANK THE OTHER DAY FOR A CREDIT CARD SO THAT WE COULD BUY A NEW YELLING-OVEN AND A MEAT SAFE. WE HAD TO SEE THE MAN IN THE BANK WHO ASKED TO SEE LAST YEAR'S TAX RETURNS, OUR COUNCIL RECORDS AND IDENTIFICATION PAPERS. HE SAID YES AND OUR NEW CARD WOULD BE HERE IN THREE WEEKS.

THREE WEEKS HAPPENED AND THERE WAS STILL NO SIGN OF THE CREDIT CARD. FOUR WEEKS WNET BY AND WE WENT BACK DOWN TO THE BANK TO SEE LITTLE SNIVELLING BANK MANAGER MAN. HE SAID THAT HE ALREADY DROPPED IT OFF AND ONE OF OUR DAUGHTERS (LITTLE MISS NINE) TOOK IT.

I GUESS THAT EXPLAINS WHY SHE NOW HAD A NEW TELEVISIONS, A NEW SOFA, THREE NEW OXEN AND A SLAVE IN HER ROOM.
    WE MADE HER RETURN ALL THE STUFF.

PARENTS, WATCH YOUR CHILDRENS. THEY DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO WORK FOR MONEY AND BUY STUPID STUFF.
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!
    https://twitter.com/TheMongols_

TRAVEL.

I WAS ON A TRADE DELEGATION TO ROME, TO HAWK SPICES LIKE CLOVES, NUTMEG AND XINNAMON TO EUROPEANS WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO REALISE THAT THIS STUFF LITERALLY GROWS ON TREES AND ON THE WAY, I HAD TO SIT ON A FLIGHT WHERE A KID WAS SCREAMING FOR THE WHOLE DANG TIME.

NOW I UNDERSTAND THAT BEING ON BOARD A HORSE-DRAWN ZEPPELIN IS DIFFICULT FOR US AT THE BEST OF TIMES AND THAT ESPECIALLY SMALL BABIES CAN'T EXPRESS THEIR DISCOMFORT, BUT IF I'M TRYING TO READ A GREAT NOVEL LIKE "THE ROMANCE OF THE 3 KINGDOMS", THEN I DON'T WANT SOME CHILD SCREAMING FOR 55 HOURS STRAIGHT.

COMMON DECENCY SAYS THAT I SHOULDN'T EAT YOUR CHILD, WHICH WAS MY FIRST INSTINCT, AND SO I SUGGESTED TO THIS KID'S MOTHER THAT SHE SHOULD GIVE HIM SOME BEEF STRIPS TO SUCK ON BUT SHE WASN'T HAVING A BAR OF IT.

IN THE END, I HAD TO TAKE A NAP IN THE INN WHEN I GOT TO ROME, AND IT WAS LIKE A FOREIGN COUNTRY. EVERYONE WAS SPEAKING ETHNIC.
    ROME IS PRETTY RUBBISH. THERE'S ALL THESE BUILDINGS FALLING DOWN EVERYWHERE THAT LOOK ANCIENT. SOMEONE SHOULD FIX THEM. AND PUT CLOTHES ON SOME OF THEIR STATUES. ROMAN PEOPLE ARE HEAPS PERVY.
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Ugh. Not getting answers on your emails to a person who very clearly indicated he wanted to get this information, and you don't know if it's because you've got the wrong email address, his spam filters have caught your emails, or if he's the kind of person who don't checks his mail (would be weird in this case because he wanted me to send this information), or if he have read them but simply not answered. I hate being left without any kind of response when I've made contact with someone, and I don't know if he's at blame for it or if it's just circumstances that have interfered. I know I'll get to know in about a week when we meet again, but the whole point of emailing this person that I haven't had any contact with before except in person at work, was just because I figured he'd want to know these things earlier than that. And it troubles me that if he have checked his email but not gotten my mails, he might think that I've just ignored my promise. Ugh.

Edit: I got an answer! Yay! He had just been super busy, and said sorry for not answering earlier. Peace of mind restored.
    by Gara_the_engineer
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • WWEEUUWWEEUU Glendora, CA USAPosts: 83
    I Hate why people are so discriminating towards the manbun. Yes I like and have hair that can be in a bun. Why does it have to be manly its just a bun. Like FTL world cant a guy have one way to express himself that doesn't have to do with his physique/ competitiveness. And even worse for the argument that feminist (which I love you guys...no offense) have that men are not needing of sympathy, this is exactly what you are fighting against the oppressors. So stop oppressive behavior and accept the manbun or respect but don't criticize please
  • KGB_the_Russian_SpyKGB_the_Russian_Spy The Actually Rather Divided States of AmericaPosts: 3,668 ✭✭✭
    WWEEUU said:

I Hate why people are so discriminating towards the manbun. Yes I like and have hair that can be in a bun. Why does it have to be manly its just a bun. Like FTL world cant a guy have one way to express himself that doesn't have to do with his physique/ competitiveness. And even worse for the argument that feminist (which I love you guys...no offense) have that men are not needing of sympathy, this is exactly what you are fighting against the oppressors. So stop oppressive behavior and accept the manbun or respect but don't criticize please

I just have to say I agree. Even if you don't personally like the style, you shouldn't tell other people what their hair should look like. If a girl wants a longer/more feminine hairstyle, cool. If a guy wants a longer/more feminine hairstyle, also cool. If a girl wants shorter/more masculine hair, still cool. If a guy wants shorter/more masculine hair, sure, fine. I personally feel like people should express themselves however they want, and not judge other people. Like seriously, it's a hairstyle, people. Let's move on and let people wear what they like.
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"  ~Neil Gaiman
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Made the mistake of facebook-friending a very nice shipmate of mine. I have no regrets whatsoever about now having this contact with him also when we're not on board at the same time, but it quickly resulted in getting a friend request from a colleague of his whom I barely know, and as an officer, I have to be pretty careful in how I act towards people of lower rank than me (which they both are) so that no-one feels like I'm favouring some of the guys and ignoring others. Ugh! I hate it when people send friend requests unless it at least can be said that we know each other, but preferably not until we're pretty good friends. I'm not gonna facebook-friend this other guy, because I don't want facebook friends unless they're at least kinda special to me (or if I need the contact for some other reason, which is rare), but this may or may not result in awkwardness and/or trouble when this guy comes onboard. Which I just now realised happens today... Crap.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    KrumVidzz said:

hello.... i'm Kyle.... I have a growing vlogging channel and was wondering if you would subscribe?

No. I will not subscribe.

When you have 11 posts which are identical and are nothing more than hawking and canvassing. That really gives me the irrits.

This is Spam. In fact, this is more spammier than Spam Casserole on the island of Guam; who are already known for consuming more Spam per capita than any other country or territory in the world.

I have flagged all 11 of your posts as Spam and hope that your little Spammy island of Spam disappears below the surface of the waves in a global warming induced rising of the seas due to excess industrial pollution caused by the production of Spam.

Bloody Vikings.

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • booknerd86booknerd86 Posts: 8
    I don't care who reads this, it'll feel great to say/rant.

My freaking history teacher!! Will you stop doing those stupid not-funny-sometimes-offensive jokes?!?! You laugh at all this stupid stuff and you don't realize how freaking annoying it is to everybody who came to learn!! We don't learn anything in your class when we just fill in notes by the way, why the heck don't you TRY to teach us something?!?! All of my History knowledge came from CRASH COURSE NOT YOU. And you're always calling everybody out, like, HELLO?? People don't like you announcing their grades to the whole class and calling the straight-A students the "nice" students and what the heck is with that?? Also, no one cares about your friend who got the tattoo or that nobody had asthma when you were younger or serious/seriously/this is real/this is the truth anything!! Maybe start talking about HISTORY, for once?!?!

I'm more annoyed at them than this^ but this'll do for here.
    "We need never be hopeless because we can never be irreparably broken."
    (Looking for Alaska by John Green)
    edited May 2016
    SMELLS IN ELEVATORS:

I ME WORK ON THE SEVENTH FLOOR OF THE "DEPARTMENT OF YELLING, PROPAGANDA AND EDUCATION" AND I ME HAD TO VISIT SOMEONE ON THE THIRD FLOOR IN THE "DEPARTMENT OF DEATH, DEATH AND MORE DEATH BUT NOT WAR".

ON THE ELEVATOR TRIP DOWN, SOMEONE DROPPED AN AIR BISCUIT THAT WAS STINKIER THAN THE UNHOLY APPLE OF HESSENBINK; WHICH WAS SO TOXIC THAT IT HAD TO BE LEFT ON ONE OF THE NANSHA QUNDAO ISLANDS.

IF YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS GASTRO PROBLEM WHICH MEANS THAT THE AIR COMING FROM YOUR BOTTY-BOT IS FOULER THAN A CHICKEN WHO HAS HIT A FOUL BALL AT FOWLER FIELD, THEN YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT EITHER INSTALLING A CORK OR RELEASING YOUR GAS OUTSIDE.

UNLEASHING THE BEAST OF GAS WHICH CAN STRIP PAINT, IS SO CAUSTIC THAT IT CAUSES EYE IRRITATION AND CHANGES THE FLAVOUR OF FOODS NINE MILES AWAY, IS SO INCREDIBLY INCONSIDERATE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T BE SURPRISE IF THE "DEPARTMENT OF DEATH, DEATH AND MORE DEATH BUT NOT WAR" DECIDES TO SEPARATE YOUR HEAD FROM YOUR SHOULDERS BY A DISTANCE OF NINE MILES.
    by THE_MONGOLS
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

• romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

@THE_MONGOLS
    You clearly haven't smelled the toilet of the house I live in. Even if I use a mountain of bleach while cleaning the toilet (which is my responsibility) the toilet will still stink within a day. Its terrible and I don't know how to fix it.

@romy16
    YOU LIVE IN THE NETHERLANDS. THAT SOUNDS TO CLOSE TO THE NETHER REGIONS FOR US. ALSO, LOOKING AT A MAP, YOU LIVE AWFULLY CLOSE TO THE SCANDI REGIONS TOO; THAT MEANS VIKINGS.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

@romy16
    YOU LIVE IN THE NETHERLANDS. THAT SOUNDS TO CLOSE TO THE NETHER REGIONS FOR US. ALSO, LOOKING AT A MAP, YOU LIVE AWFULLY CLOSE TO THE SCANDI REGIONS TOO; THAT MEANS VIKINGS.

I mean at the moment I live below sealevel and at it will take me around 8 hours to drive to malmö sweden. So al you said is quite true.

One person kinda ruined my day by deciding that the banks policy does not apply to her. She said that her intrest rate was 0,15 too high for 1 year. Yes 0,15, I've had people complain about 0,02 as well.

The intrest rates are based on your loan/ the value of you house *100=.. with shows me in which category you are and if you have to pay a bit more or get a discount. But these things change every so often (IKD when but it happens). Which she sees as unfair but interest rates change every so often and some people just can't deal with that. They really can't.

ALSO I DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE INTREST RATE CHANGEs AND IF I KNEW I WOULN'T HAVE THIS JOB.
    I would be in jail be cause that's working with insider information which is illegal.

Writing this really made me a lot calmer.

TIL... DUTCH PEOPLE PUT COMMAS AND DECIMAL POINTS IN WEIRD PLACES WHEN TALKING ABOUT NUMBERS.

₮20,589.66 MIGHT CONFUSE DUTCH PEOPLE.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

TIL... DUTCH PEOPLE PUT COMMAS AND DECIMAL POINTS IN WEIRD PLACES WHEN TALKING ABOUT NUMBERS.

₮20,589.66 MIGHT CONFUSE DUTCH PEOPLE.

That will not confuse me but it will confuse exel.

What confuses most people is how Germans put the euro sign after a number. Germans would type: that is 5€ for a cup of coffee, instead of €5 like the rest of us.

Its because you say that is five euros.......

LOSING.

LITTLE MASTER SEVEN WAS PLAYING FOOTBALL TODAY AND HIS TEAM LOST AND HE STARTED CRYING.

LOOK CHILD, IT DOES MATTER WHETHER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE BECAUSE SPORTS AMONG OTHER THINGS TEACHES YOU ABOUT LIFE. SOMETIMES, YOU DO LOSE. SOMETIMES, OTHER PEOPLE GET MORE STUFF BECAUSE THEY HAVE RICHER PARENTS. SOMETIMES, THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED AND YOU GET SCREWED OVER.

YOU NEED TO LEARN CHILD, THAT LIFE IS NOT ALL MARSHMALLOWS AND DAFFODILS, NO! SOMETIMES, LIFE MAKES YOU SIT ON THISTLES AND JAMS PENCILS UP YOUR BUTT. IT DOES MATTER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE BECAUSE IF YOU CAN'T HACK LOSING NOW, YOU'RE GOING TO BE ALWAYS UNHAPPY WHEN LIFE SLAMS THE DOOR IN YOUR FACE AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

IF YOU LOSE, PLAY HARDER, FIGHT HARDER, PLAY BETTER. DON'T WHINGE ABOUT IT. WINNERS DON'T SIT IN THE CORNER AND CRY, OR RATHER, THEY DO CRY AND THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

LEARN TO LOSE AND LEARN THAT LOSING TEACHES YOU STUFF.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

• SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    To my family:
    My trip to Europe was fantastic. I am fine. I saw so many amazing people, places, and things. I also enjoyed seeing family. You can stop asking. I'm not going to sit down for 37 hours and tell you everything at once. Thank you for sending me.
    Sincerely, Me
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭

To my family:
    My trip to Europe was fantastic. I am fine. I saw so many amazing people, places, and things. I also enjoyed seeing family. You can stop asking. I'm not going to sit down for 37 hours and tell you everything at once. Thank you for sending me.
    Sincerely, Me

That's the most polite rant I've ever seen. I forgot where I was for a second.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    @RialVestro Polite rants are the strangest rants
    Dear cold
    I coughed up all the slime you created in my lungs. SO STOP MAKING MY THROAT ITCHY SO I COUGH A LOT. I NEED TO TALK ON THE PHONE TO "A LOT" OF PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT THEIR MORTGAGES. COUGHING AND BEING ON A PHONE IS TERRIBLE!

Also cough medicine is expensive and tea with honey is not really working

I'm a guy. And I have long hair. WHY DOES THAT MAKE SOME PEOPLE BLUE SCREEN? My hair is not an indication of my interests, sexual orientation, gender orientation, or some fashion rebellion. I did not grow it just to donate it, though I will do that at some point. My hair is long because that's how I like it. Explain why that's complicated.

I'm a guy. And I have long hair.

23 years.
    1993's retro has arrived.

Baggy pants and flannel are due soon as well.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

RODS OF GOD
    RODS OF GOD
    RODS OF GOD
    RODS OF GOD
    RODS OF GOD
    RODS OF GOD

WE HAVE JUST BEEN TO A WAR CONFERENCE IN CONSTANTINOPLE WITH RUS, HUNGARS, CHINESE, ARABS, ENGLISH, FRENCH, VIKINGS AND TEUTONS AND THEY'VE TOLD US THAT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DROP "RODS OF GOD" ON PEOPLE FROM SPACE.

WHAT THE ACTUAL PIZZA? PIZZA THAT IN THE PIZZA WITH A BENT PIZZA.

PLAN:

1. BUILD A STARBUCKS.
    2. DROP THAT ON CONSTANTINOPLE.
    3. WATCH THE MAYHEM.

IT IS A GOOD PLAN.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

DRIVE THROUGHS

WE WERE IN THE DRIVE THROUGH AT JENHUKCY FRIED YAK THIS MORNING, WANTING A 500 PIECE BUCKET AND 60 COLESLAWS (THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED WITH 98 CHILDREN), AND THEY TOLD US THAT WE HAD TO GO INSIDE AND COLLECT OUR ORDER.

LIKE, WHAT THE PIZZA?

WE'RE IN THE DRIVE THROUGH BECAUSE WE WANT TO DRIVE THROUGH. THIS ISN'T A HARD CONCEPT. WE WERE IN THE FOUR-IN-HAND LANDAU BECAUSE WE WERE IN A HURRY. MAKING US TIE UP THE GEE-GEES DOESN'T HELP US GET ANYWHERE IN A HURRY, YOU GREAT STEAMING GIT.

THOUGHT, SOD THAT AND WENT TO cDOGGLES'S FOR A CUBE OF OLD MAC SANDWICHES AND A THOUSAND cNUGGETS'S. THEY COULD PUT THINGS IN THE LANDAU IN THE DRIVE THROUGH.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

CUSTOMER SERVICE

IT IS MY WIFE'S 35TH BIRTHDAY AT THE WEEKEND (YES, SHE'S OFFICIALLY OLD ENOUGH TO BECOME PRESIDENT OF KNUBUCK PROVINCE) AND SO I WENT TO THE ZHAU-ZHAU DEPARTMENT STORE TO BUY SOME STINK WATER BECAUSE THE LADIES LIKE THAT SORT OF THING.
    THERE WAS A SPECIAL ON KÖLNWASSER FROM THE LAND OF THE TEUTONS, BATCH NO.4711 FOR ONLY ₮4711.

I BANGED MY DEMANDING MALLET ON THE COUNTER AND DEMANDED TO SPEAK TO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE LADY BUT SHE WAS HAVING SOME STUPID CONVERSATION ON THE PHONE TO ONE OF HER STUPID FRIENDS, WHO WE COULD HEAR HAD BROKEN UP WITH HER BOYFRIEND.
    I HAD TO BANG MY DEMANDING MALLET ON THE COUNTER AGAIN AND AGAIN AND IN THE END, I HAD TO CUT THE STRING TO HER TELEPHONE SO THAT SHE WOULD GO TO THE LOCKED STINK WATER CABINET AND BRING OUT THE BOTTLE OF 4711 KÖLNWASSER.

I SHOULD BE IN AND OUT AND GONE. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT HOW GEOFF IS A BAD MAN AND SAID BAD THINGS AND WON'T COMMIT... BLA DE BLA DE BLA DE BLA.
    IF YOU ARE ON A COUNTER, IT IS YOUR JOB TO SERVE PEOPLE; NOT TO HAVE CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR FRIENDS WHO AREN'T EVEN THERE.
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

edited October 2016
    MERITOCRACY

WE DON'T OFTEN SPEAK ABOUT YOUR WORLD THAT WE SEE THROUGH THE TIME-TRAVEL-INTERNETS BUT WE FEEL THAT WE NEED TO SAY SOMETHING TO YOU PEOPLE.

WHEN YOU HAD THAT TELEVISIONS SHOW "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK" THAT WASN'T A CUE FOR YOU TO INSTALL A MONUMENTAL COCKHEAD AS YOUR LEADER AND REPLACE A BLACK MAN WITH AN ORANGE ONE. YOU HAVE A MAN WHO IS LITERALLY NAMED AFTER A FART AND SAYS WHATEVER COMES INTO HIS HEAD, NO MATTER HOW VACUOUS, RACIST, SEXIST, MISOGYNIST OR IDIOTIC IT IS.

IN THE MONGOL EMPIRE, WE HAVE A MERITOCRACY. WE INSTALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN BRAVE IN BATTLE, OR GOOD WITH NUMBERS, OR GOOD AT TRADE, IN POSITIONS OF POWER. YOU'VE LET ALL THE IDIOTS CHOOSE AND IDIOT. AT LEAST THAT BUSH GUY BOTHERED TO LEARN THE BIG WORDS ABOUT THE THING BEFORE HE SAID THEM; OKAY, HE TRIED TO LEARN THE BIG WORDS. TRUMP DOESN'T EVEN DO THAT.

YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE A COUNTRY.
    by THE_MONGOLS
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

edited November 2016
    All the romantic assumptions people make when they hear the word "love"! There are more people in this world whom I love than just my husband, although my husband is the only one I have romantic feelings for. If I say "I love my sister", nobody misinterprets that, but if I say "I love [best friend]", then people will wonder if (or assume that) I mean it in a romantic way. It doesn't bother me too much what others think, but it would probably complicate our friendship if my best friend would think I have romantic feelings for him. So I end up never telling him how much I love him in spite of thinking those words every time we talk to each other.
    I love you

I find this very frustrating.
    by Gara_the_engineer
    Dang those crazy Greeks for having four words:

Storge - familial love, natural affection
    Phileo - brotherly love, friendship
    Agape - godly love, also for the state
    Eros - romantic love, charity

• RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭

All the romantic assumptions people make when they hear the word "love"! There are more people in this world whom I love than just my husband, although my husband is the only one I have romantic feelings for. If I say "I love my sister", nobody misinterprets that, but if I say "I love [best friend]", then people will wonder if (or assume that) I mean it in a romantic way. It doesn't bother me too much what others think, but it would probably complicate our friendship if my best friend would think I have romantic feelings for him. So I end up never telling him how much I love him in spite of thinking those words every time we talk to each other.
    I love you

I find this very frustrating.

I totally agree with you. There's a girl who I think of like a little sister even though we're not actually related. She just reminds me so much of my aunt that being around her is like being around family. Plus just by coincidence her middle name is actually what my sister's name would have been if I actually had one. (My mom had a miscarriage when I was a year old.) I'm afraid to say I love her right to her face for the simple fact that it could easily be misinterpreted to mean I have romantic feelings for her. This is also problematic when she has a boyfriend as it could potentially hurt my relationship with her and her relationship with him if this feeling of love were misinterpreted as anything more than her being like a sister to me.

That being said, I love you Callie, sorry I can't tell you that in person.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • TheWeepingDalekTheWeepingDalek TexasPosts: 15
    A few rants.

1. First and foremost, a "Pizza you" to my wife's workplace for making her work on her birthday (today)...especially since in retail jobs (like hers) this time of year is a no-go for asking for specific days off. And another "Pizza you" to them for being open on (American) Thanksgiving.
    2. While I haven't personally been in any locations that have been doing so (yet), why in the pizza do places insist on playing pizza-ing Christmas music starting November 1st?!? Can't we have (American) Thanksgiving without Christmas being shoved down our throats?
    3. I swear if I have someone try to lowball me on my crocheted stuff in the yard sale I'm doing this weekend it's going to take everything in me to keep from telling them to go sit on a cactus and spin. (This happened last year, and I presume the lady who asked could sense that I was, to put it delicately, extremely irked from how I (politely!) responded.)