Rants, rants, and more rants!

1789101113»

Comments

• RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭

While I haven't personally been in any locations that have been doing so (yet), why in the pizza do places insist on playing pizza-ing Christmas music starting November 1st?!? Can't we have (American) Thanksgiving without Christmas being shoved down our throats?

Where I live, that actually started October 1st. We can't even have Halloween without Christmas being shoved down our throats. I miss the days when holiday stuff would actually come out around that actual holiday. They'd wait till after Thanksgiving before putting out Christmas stuff. And honestly even when it was coming out a full month before Christmas it wasn't that bad. But now we're getting holiday stuff a full two months before the actual actual Holiday. You might as well have Christmas stuff out all year round at this point. Who the hell is doing their Christmas shopping in October? No one cares about Christmas until at least the day after Thanksgiving. A lot of people don't even care until it's actually December. Why do Christmas decorations come out earlier and earlier every year.

It's not just Christmas. Pretty much all the holiday specific stuff is in stores a full two months before the holiday. Last year, there were valentines hearts and other stuff out in December. When you're single having to put up with that holiday in February is already bad enough without having to deal with it for two months before Valentines day as well. St. Patricks Day, stuff, goes up in January. Easter, goes up in February. Does it really take people two months to prepare for a holiday?

You might as well have holiday stuff in stores all year round at this point. If it keeps getting earlier that's how it's going to end up eventually anyway. Just get it over with.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Where I live, that actually started October 1st. We can't even have Halloween without Christmas being shoved down our throats. I miss the days when holiday stuff would actually come out around that actual holiday.

I live in Australia.

Halloween never used to be a thing here until the big two supermarket chains Woolworths and Coles thought it was an excellent opportunity to sell lollies.

If you intend to celebrate All Hallow's Eve, then fine but shouldn't you really think about going to midnight mass? Otherwise, Spooky Day just looks out of place because the sun doesn't set until after 08:30pm. Pumpkins and Jack Of The Lantern, doesn't really work while there's still daylight out.

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    Two questions...

1. What is midnight mass?

2. Why are you going trick or treating before 8:30PM?

The whole point is to wait till after dark and that isn't that late.

Oh and this is another thing that bugs me about Halloween. Did you know they have trick or treating in the day now because kids are too scared to go out after dark. That's the whole point of Halloween is that it's suppose to be scary. Kids aren't even allowed to go out after dark anymore? WTF?

When they first started this it was mainly for the younger kids... like preschoolers. Which OK fine I can understand at that age the kids are probably too young to even understand that it's all just pretend. No one's actually going to hurt them. It's not really fun if the kid thinks it's real. I remember when I was that age I was too scared to even walk down the Halloween isle in stores. If that's the case then yes I agree the kid is too young to be going out after dark on Halloween. However as they get older, when they finally manage to walk down that isle and pick out their own costume without being scared by a creepy mask then go out after dark like you're suppose to instead of going in the day.

I'm not opening my door for you before the sun goes down unless your kid is too young to be out after dark. If your kid is old enough to enjoy pretend scares for fun then you can wait till after dark. I don't have any candy for nearly teenage kids who can't handle a little scare. Daytime candy if for babies I can't scare yet.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    Does it bother anyone besides me when people claim that all of the Doctor's companions are always attractive women? Ian Chesterton, Jamie McCrimmon, Adric, Mickey Smith, Jack Harkness, Wilfred Mott, and Rory Williams just to name a few. There are others I didn't mention. The overwhelming majority are women but there are men too.
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    Rollo said:

Dang those crazy Greeks for having four words:

Storge - familial love, natural affection
    Phileo - brotherly love, friendship
    Agape - godly love, also for the state
    Eros - romantic love, charity

I would really want both Swedish and English to have all of those words separate. Me envious.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    @TheWeepingDalek @RialVestro I think the reason might simply be that there are many who are impatient and feel that they can't wait until Christmas. Kids tend to feel like this, but also some adults. You know how you were repeatedly asking your parents how long time it was until Christmas (same with birthday and all kinds of fun holidays) and tell them you wanted it to be now and so on, starting somewhen in October or November? And your parents were all just like "you'll have to wait" without caring about your impatient childish wishes. What a torture! But nowadays, in a time of instant gratification to be found almost everywhere, people don't any longer accept having to wait, and would definitely not choose to wait if they have the option not to... We cannot accept waiting, impatience rules society. And since a lot of people still are impatient for Christmas to come also when they've grown up and have the power of money... shops just use that to make profit. It works, so they have no reason not to do so.

@TheWeepingDalek @RialVestro I think the reason might simply be that there are many who are impatient and feel that they can't wait until Christmas. Kids tend to feel like this, but also some adults. You know how you were repeatedly asking your parents how long time it was until Christmas (same with birthday and all kinds of fun holidays) and tell them you wanted it to be now and so on, starting somewhen in October or November? And your parents were all just like "you'll have to wait" without caring about your impatient childish wishes. What a torture! But nowadays, in a time of instant gratification to be found almost everywhere, people don't any longer accept having to wait, and would definitely not choose to wait if they have the option not to... We cannot accept waiting, impatience rules society. And since a lot of people still are impatient for Christmas to come also when they've grown up and have the power of money... shops just use that to make profit. It works, so they have no reason not to do so.

That makes no sense. Putting the stuff out sooner doesn't make the day come any quicker. If anything you're waiting longer that way. The problem is kids have no concept of time. It hasn't been taught to them yet. So to a kid the moment you first see Christmas decorations appear in stores you know it's soon. But now with that happening in October before we even have Halloween it's throwing kids off even more so instead of every day in December asking "is it Christmas yet?" they're asking that question every day for two months.

I think the real reason the stores do it is because of supply and demand. See back in the old days there was a limited number of days to shop for Christmas and an over stock of supplies. People were always in a rush to get their Christmas shopping done, the stores are always more crowded during this time of year. Christmas shopping is a nightmare. And that over stock would start going on sale the day after Christmas because the stores need to get rid of it. The problem is stores loose money on this deal because they're selling things so cheap at this point that they aren't making any money. To solve that problem rather than ordering less stuff, they get the Christmas products in earlier that way consumers have more time to shop and can take their time rather than the usual Christmas rush and stores can actually clear the merchandise before Christmas. No more after Christmas over stock.

Of course you see the problem here is that the Christmas rush and the over stock are still a thing. Why is this still happening? Putting the stuff out earlier should of solved the problem. Well maybe we didn't make it early enough, lets do it even earlier next year and see how that works out. And this is the logic that got us into this situation.

The reason no one does their shopping earlier despite the stuff being available earlier which stores don't seem to account for is because of the Christmas bonus. A lot of employers give out a slightly larger pay check around Christmas time which only makes sense as people are spending more money than usual around that time of year. Even though Christmas supplies are being sold earlier, Christmas bonuses are still given out at the beginning of December. No one's buying anything because they're waiting for that bonus and thus the Christmas rush still happen at the same time every year no matter how early stores put out their products.

The stores plan might actually work if the Christmas bonus was given out in November. Then people could start their Christmas shopping early instead of having to wait. They could actually get everything they need because they're taking their time shopping rather than rushing and fighting threw larger holiday crowds. And stores might actually be successful at clearing their shelves before Christmas so they don't lose money on after Christmas sales. Though they might still need to just order less stuff. People don't really need a new fake tree every year. That's one of the great things about owning a fake tree is that you save money not having to buy a new one. So why do stores carry so many? Not only can you save money by getting a fake tree, but if you get a real one just once, wait till after Christmas to get a fake one you can get your tree for dirt cheap. Real trees are cheaper in the short term but get expensive when you have to pay for a new one every year. Fake trees are more expensive, unless you wait for a sale, but even if you don't get it on sale it pays off in the long run. My family had the same tree for about 20 years. I don't know why stores carry so many when not that many people buy them. Most people either prefer the real thing or already own one. There's really a small market for people either looking to buy their first fake or looking to replace an old fake because of damaged or missing parts.

Another way to get past the over stock problem. Instead of trying to guess how many people might want to buy things like fake trees, have people special order them. If you don't get any orders from customers then you don't need to have any in stock and thus you'll never have an over stock problem. Especially with everything being online now days you can have a system where customers order what they want rather than stores ordering what they think they can sell.
    @RialVestro

Two questions...
    1. What is midnight mass?

"Mass" is the Holy Communion, The Eucharist, the Lord's Supper etc. in the Catholic Church.
    Technically Halloween is the first day of the three-day observance of Allhallowtide.

2. Why are you going trick or treating before 8:30PM?

The whole point is to wait till after dark and that isn't that late.

Er... it is late spring in the Southern Hemisphere; so the sun is still up when I get home from work.
    The Test Series between Australia and South Africa has already begun and that basically means hours and hours of cricket on the radio, while the sun scorches on overhead and we hurl ourselves into the sea at every available opportunity.

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

But you said the sun sets after 8:30pm. You're suppose to go trick or treating AFTER 8:30pm when there is no sun not before. So all this stuff about Jack o' Lanterns not working because the sun is still out and it being freakishly hot out in the day time makes no sense.
  • TheWeepingDalekTheWeepingDalek TexasPosts: 15
    @RialVestro, we need people like you in charge of retail places...and not just because holy pizza fake Christmas trees take up a TON of space on shelves.
    Yeah the fake Christmas tree thing was just an example. There's more decorations like that which just take up a lot of space when no one's buying them but my post was long enough as it was without listing every single thing.
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    I wanna throw cold spaghetti at the person who designed the new office building I work in. I have to go through secured revolving door to get to the womens toilet. Meaning i have to get my pass, hold it in front of a scanner, wait for the door to turn and then walk through it. WHILE MEN DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE THEIR TOILET IS ON THE GOOD SIDE OF THE BUILDING!

Its even worse to get to the cafeteria that is: 1 revolving door, lift to the 4th floor, another revolving door, walk to building D, get trough another revolving door and then down to the first floor. (yes I could walk around the building but it has been freezing today so no)

romy16 said:

I wanna throw cold spaghetti at the person who designed the new office building I work in. I have to go through secured revolving door to get to the womens toilet. Meaning i have to get my pass, hold it in front of a scanner, wait for the door to turn and then walk through it. WHILE MEN DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE THEIR TOILET IS ON THE GOOD SIDE OF THE BUILDING!

Oh my god why was that person such an idiot and why was he (yes, I assume the person's gender based on the placing of toilets) allowed to be such an idiot? I mean, shouldn't someone check that the architect's plan is reasonable?
    Now I'm annoyed with you, @romy16
  • THE_MONGOLSTHE_MONGOLS KING OF EVERYTHING ULANBAATARPosts: 324 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    TAX RETURNS.

THE INLAND REVENUE MAN CAME AROUND WITH THE FORM i2 FOR DOING OUR TAX RETURNS AND HOW ANYONE DOES THIS IS BEYOND OUR COMPREHENSION

23 Educator expenses
    WHAT? YOU MEAN WE CAN'T CLAIM THE COST OF DEAD ANIMALS TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN ABOUT HUNTING AND ARCHERY SKILLS?

24 Certain business expenses of reservists, performing artists, and fee-basis government officials. Attach Form 4104 or 4107-EZ 24
    DOES THIS INCLUDE PAYMENTS TO GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AS BRIBES? ARE CON-ARTISTS PERFORMING ARTISTS?

25 Moving expenses. Attach Form 9996
    WE ARE ALWAYS MOVING. WE'RE MONGOLS. WE LIVE IN YURTS. YET YOU CAN'T CLAIM MOVING EXPENSES WHEN YOU MOVE YOUR YURT.

THIS MAKES US SO ANGRY - WE HAD TO EAT THE INLAND REVENUE MAN.

Exemptions - 7c Dependents
    WE HAD TO INCLUDE SEVERAL PAGES OF ATTACHMENTS. WE HAVE 103 CHILDREN.
    by THE_MONGOLS
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!
    https://twitter.com/TheMongols_

GUAC

TOOK TWO DOZEN OF THE GIRLS TO SEE "PRINCESSES ON ICE" AND THEY ENJOYED IT (I SPENT THE EVENING TOTALLY BORED AND DREAMT ABOUT WATCHING CAGE FIGHTING) AND AFTERWARDS THEY ALL WANTED TO GO TO cDOGGLES'S FOR OLD MAC SANDWICHES. I SAID "NO", WE ARE GOING TO TACO BILL'S FOR INCA FOOD.

EVERYTHING WAS NICE EXCEPT FOR WHAT LITERALLY LOOKS LIKE GREEN POO EVERYWHERE. WE ASKED ABOUT IT AND THE NICE LADY WITH THE BIG HAT AND MOUSTACHE SAID THAT IT WAS "GUAC" AND i WAS TOO AFRAID TO ASK WHAT GUAC IS.

GUAC SOUNDS SUSPICOUSLY LIKE GUANO AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT THAT IS. GUAC LOOKS LIKE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU FED CORMORANTS AND BATS LOTS OF ASPARAGUS AND GREEN TEAS. SHOWED RESTRAINT; DIDN'T RAGE. WE STILL ATE THEIR DOG AS RETRIBUTION, THOUGH
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

FASHION

WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM A TRADE MISSION TO BENGAL AND WIFE DEMANDS SILKEN PYJAMAS AND KURTAS. THIS WAS AFTER WANTING HAPPI FROM JAPAN AND WONJU FROM BHUTAN.
    ALWAYS WANTING NEW CLOTHES FROM EVERYWHERE. IT COSTS MANY MANY TUGRIK.

MY AMMA ALWAYS WORE CARPETS WITH HOLES CUT IN BECAUSE SHE FELT THAT A HESSION DEEL WASN'T HARD CORE ENOUGH. IF YOU LOOKED AT HER FUNNY, SHE WOULD TAN YOUR BUTT WITH HYSSOP. SHE PASSED AWAY AT THE AGE OF 49 AFTER SHE GOT IN A FIGHT WITH A BRICKMAKER.

WHAT IS IT WITH FASHION ALWAYS TURNING OVER. WHAT CAN'T PEOPLE BE HAPPY WITH HARD CORE CLOTHES? BROWN ALWAYS GOES WITH BROWN. BROWN IS HARD CORE.

WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!

FASHION

WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

WHAT IS IT WITH FASHION ALWAYS TURNING OVER. WHAT CAN'T PEOPLE BE HAPPY WITH HARD CORE CLOTHES? BROWN ALWAYS GOES WITH BROWN. BROWN IS HARD CORE.

Totally agree. Although I'm crazy enough to also wear black, dark blue, dark green and occasionally (gasp!) maroon clothes. They all go in the washing machine at the same time, and none gets discoloured. Perfect.
    I don't get fashion either... I just wear black... some times my shirts will have designs on them but are still primarily black.

Avoiding colors is also helpful because I'm color blind. I could very well pick up a shirt I think is blue and then find out I'm wearing purple or pink. Really I think what color I wear shouldn't matter but I don't want to risk getting attacked when I go out in public because I accidentally wore a "feminine" color. So I just avoid colors I can't identify and mostly stick to black.
    I am red-green colourblind and yellows and blues are not really a problem. Reds? They're awful. The ironic thing this that I follow Liverpool FC; they play in red.