Rants, rants, and more rants!

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,887 ✭✭✭
    Grubby Head Marks!

I understand that in some cases travelling 90 minutes on a cold morning or after a long day would warrant people falling asleep on trains and buses, but why then must people leave their grubby marks from where their heads have been on the windows?
    It's bad enough to see someone else's head funk on the window, but when you then try to wipe them away with a tissue, you're left with a streaky mess.

This has been made all the more worse in the past decade by the increase in the incidence of "product" (which itself is a stupid use of the word) in people's hair. Not only do we have giant squidges down the windows but product solidifies, which leaves a semi-solid residue. Why pray tell in the name of decency should I be forced to look at the countryside, with someone else's smears on the windows?

C'mon people, how hard is it to wear a hat?
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭
    I am tired of stupid teacher that grade you on your participation in the class conversations. I have a modern issues class, and today every time I tried to say something I got cut off by one of the other students or the teacher. I couldn't get two words in, and it really pissed me off. Don't tell me I have to talk or I fail, and then not give me the opertunity to talk. Also if my teacher didn't have everything in her mind is such a PIZZZAA way, it wouldn't be as bad, but she doesn't understand half the crap we talk about it. I mean don't sit there and tell me about something that happened, and be wrong. I am learning nothing in this class, and I have to take it. I am getting tired of stupid teachers trying to tell me stuff that is wrong. I mean if you are going to try and teach make sure you know what your talking about. I mean she is talking about the trickle down economics and she is acting like it is the answer to everything, because business owners always put the money into businesses. Does she not see how much the business world is corrupt. People pay checks wouldn't go up, and the companies wouldn't expand, atleast not int he way they think it would. Why don't people look at how people are greedy. CEO's and business owners are greedy. That is why they own a business. I mean some of them aren't greed, but most of them are. When I tried to voice my opinion at least 10 times I got cut off while I was still saying the first word. I mean how am I supposed to participate if only a few of the people can talk at all. It's not like the people that are taking understand it either. I think I am the only one in the class that understands how corrupt businesses and governments are. I mean it is a class with 7 students and a teacher, I should be able to say something. If I could get out of the class I would be, but we are almost to midterms and I can't. If I could share my views on the whole thing I would love the class, but I can't all I can do is listen to idiots who don't know crap talk about how the world works in their minds. I mean they act like the world can be changed easily. They actually think that we could change how everything is screwed up in a year or something. They don't understand that it would take 20 years to straighten out half the crap that's wrong with the world that we have talked about. I am being serious when I say that most of the times I have gotten to voice my opinion have been while I was giving a presentation, and the teacher still put in her 2 cents worth of bull crap. I mean how can she really think some of this stuff. It makes my head want to explode. I almost flipped out in the middle of class today. Really people need to let everybody voice their opinions, and they need to think before the talk. I am tired of hearing stuff that I knew was wrong when I was 10 and then not being able to explain it to them. I mean really who actually believes that companies make products in Asia because of taxes, it is because they can get away with paying people dirt. I mean they actually think that a pair of pants made in the U.S. costs $500 because it costs that much more to make it. If that's the case why is there a mark up of over 100% on almost everything. I mean if a $20 pair of jeans from Kohl's has a markup of 112%, think about how much the mark up is on that fancy pair of jeans showing off some girls behind. For example a pair of $300 jeans from True Religion has a markup of 300%. That means they sell it for 3 times as much as the store pays for it, which is probably a lot more than it costs to make them. I don't understand how people can believe all the crap that society tells them.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    Chinese selling person, please stop thinking I'm a super rich western girl who is willing to way 250 yuan for that scarf, I AM NOT RICH and I KNOW that you bought that scarf for 10 yuan and you can sell it to me for 30 if you want, Stop overcharging me!!!

• Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    At the risk of channeling Sheldon Cooper, Apple employees kind of piss me up. First off, I don't know if this is just a local thing or what, but why are they all hipsters? They all have the absurd haircuts and seem to speak in monotone layers of sarcasm and cynicism. Any time I've needed help with my computer, they've either been entirely unhelpful or they've acted as though they're doing me a huge favor, which they're not, because 1) It's their freakin job and 2) I nearly always wind up (over)paying for some part that needs replacing or some service without which they've made it so my laptop can't function.

Geniuses? Hardly.

Oh and it's always crowded in that PIZZZAA store. Like even on weekdays. What the hell is that all about?
    by Lavache_Beadsman
    edited January 2014
    Devonshire Tea... THERE IS NO PLACE CALLED DEVONSHIRE.
    The country is called Devon. Devon, no -shire suffix. There's also no suffix for Kent, Cornwall, Dorset, Rutland, Durham or Cumbria either.
    What made this even more bizarre was that today I saw "Devonshire Meat" for sale, when they just meant that suspicious meat product, also just called Devon. 

Look, I totally get that having tea and scones and jam and cream or  tea and scones and cream and jam (whole argument there) is a thing but calling it after a thing which does not exist, does not make sense. 
    by Rollo
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

The chinese heating system.

Dear Chinese gouvernment,
    I know you run a big country with a lot of people and it is not always cold everywhere in china. BUT IT IS IN BEIJING AND MORE THAN 20 MILION PEOPLE LIVE HERE! It is January and it is still freezing and I'm getting super tired about the lack of an useful heating system. I know it costs a lot of money to build and maintain a heating system, but I don't care about that because it freezing cold. So stop with your stupid heating system where you put the heating on, on 15th of November and put it off on the 15th of march. Just let the people decide if they want it warm or not so that they use the heating instead of the airconditioning. So I don't have to sit in the warm dry air of the airconditioning that keeps the office and my room warm because it completely dehydrates my eyes and my skin. AND ONLY BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE NORMAL HEATING HERE, BECAUSE THE HEATING DOES NOT WORK IN AN EARLY OR LATE WINTER!!

• EpicShelbyEpicShelby Posts: 3
    I HATE timed exams. I get nervous on tests and take longer but when there is a concrete time limit on a test I often end up freezing on some questions and not finishing the exam. It's very not awesome.
    @Lavache_Beadsmen Reading your post activated my hatred for apple. They are crooks, that stole an operating system that was offered for free from a college. They ended up paying the college millions of dollars not to take them to court, because apple knew nobody wanted to pay for something that is out there for free. Apple is probably the biggest crook in the entire computer world, but Microsoft is up there too. 

Apples technology isn't even new, they only sell stuff that was proven a year ago. That is why they don't have as many glitches, they use old tech and make you over pay for it. I have never owned an apple product, and I probably never will.

The computer world is full of scum.
    Bills.

No, not the sort that you get from the electricity company or the water company or from the restaurant at the end of the meal (that's not a cheque by the way) but what Americans call bank notes.

For flip's sake, it's even written across the top: Federal Reserve Note. There's also the legend "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Title 12 of the United States Code, Section 411 states: 
    Federal reserve notes, to be issued at the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the purpose of making advances...

They're not bills. Technically a bill is a document which may be sealed or is a formal statement or official memorandum; sometimes put before a legislature before it becomes law. A note is a promise to pay a determinate sum of money; which Federal Reserve Notes are. I know that Federal Reserve Notes bear certain seals but they're still notes.

PS: I know I live on Pedant's Corner - I run a successful inconvenice store there.

• turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Everything hurts and nothing's okay!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    turdl38 said:
    Everything hurts and nothing's okay!
    You sound like you need a hug and a hot water bag. Need hug?

love hug.  also need somebody to come feed me.  can't really move and nothing sounds good, but hungry.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    edited January 2014
    *cyber hug*

giving you food is going to be difficult since I'm at work and probably in another country. But you could always order food?

by romy16

• vikingqueenvikingqueen Posts: 85 ✭✭
    How hard is it to get to work on time, everyone knows I have to catch a bus home which I miss if people are late. To add to that I got trapped by the roadworks on the way to the station so it took me twice as long to get there - so I couldnt put money on my pass in time and missed the damn bus, it was hot as balls this arvo walking an extra 4 blocks and waitng an extra 10 minutes was not cool
    Ordering food requires money, @romy16, but I did kind of manage to eat.  I totally ate crap junkfood, but it worked for tonight.  When you feel like PIZZZAA, it's excusable as long as it's not every meal and/or for any extended period of time.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    With windchill it's -18 F out, we've been without heat since 5 last night, and you can't come till TEN?! Come on! Do you care about anyone at all!?
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Teachers setting too much homework. My french teacher seems to think I don't get homework from any of my other teachers

Teachers setting too much homework. My french teacher seems to think I don't get homework from any of my other teachers
    I've got the same problem with half of my teachers
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Western United States Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    When you put in so much hard work and dedication into an assignment, only to get a low grade due to a technicality.
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

When you work as hard as you can and only get half A's half B's and then super lazy people that don't care get top of the class.
    When you write a really good paper and the teacher isn't as smart as you and doesn't understand it so they give you a low grade. I hate teachers that are literally too stupid to understand what I write.
  • I don't really have anyone to blame but I don't understand how I have no homework one day to seven hours of it the next day... It's not because I procastinate but like everyone piles everything on in one day!  :-q
    DFTBA
    When the only class you get very little homework in is the one class you like and wouldn't mind some extra work in.
    When you love a subject and should be doing really good in it because you know a lot about it, but the teacher is crappy and teaches in a way that isn't compatible with you so you end up doing bad.
    edited January 2014
    It drives me nuts when people screw up things like good and well, bad and badly/poorly, less and fewer, etc.  Doubly so when they brag about being good writers seemingly ALL the time!
    by turdl38
    edited January 2014
    Earphones.

Once upon a time in that strange land called the past, we used to have compact cassette players which bore the words "personal stereo". The idea that the music or other audio that you were listening to was 'personal' but in a public space. 
    I was on the train this morning and someone with a pair of earphones and some sort of portable melody box (iPhonograph thing I assume) played the same song from when they got on, to all the way to the city, some 55 minutes later. They were about five rows away and on the other side of the train - clearly not "personal".

I did however learn that for "All the single Lettuce" that "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it". I assume that the lady who was singing this song (and was really quite repetitive in her assertion) probably works at a produce market or greengrocers.
    by Rollo

French border control at charles the gaule airport, paris

Having 1 and just 1! person working at the border control IS NOT USEFUL IF YOU HAVE AN CONNECTING FLIGHT!
    Seriously get more staff because it takes some time to check all the passports of so many people.

Five Cent Coins.

In economics there's a thing called the "denomination effect" and that's where there is a greater preference for people to spend coins over notes and to spend smaller banknotes over larger ones. People have a psychological stop when it comes to breaking up a larger note.
    Then there's the issue that ATMs spit out Fifties and Twenties; so if you ever get a Budgie (a One Hundred), no-one really wants to accept it because they won't have the change.

Anyway, on to five cent coins... WHY DO WE STILL HAVE THEM?

The current five cent coin which was introduced in 1966 was a direct replacement for the sixpence. The sixpence along with the shilling and what would become the florin, have a planchet size which was set in 1816. If you allow a conservative measure for inflation, the sixpence of 1816 bought the equivalent of $17 now.

Okay, quite apart from the issue that all of the coins are too massive for their function (we should just copy New Zealand here - their coins are made in Canberra anyway), the five cent coin currently serves no other purpose than to get in my way. New Zealand sensibly got rid of its five cent coins in 2006. How come we in Australia can't?

Why are we still holding on to coins which served a purpose two centuries ago but are as useful now as an ashtray on a motorbike?
    Sheer utter pointlessness.

Humanity's Pinnacle.

I was born post-John and pre-Hank, 9 years after the highest peak in the entire of human development - 1969.

In 1969, the Boeing 747 made air travel accessible to the masses, Concorde sped across the skies at more than Mach 1 and America spent 20 billion to send a couple of clowns to the freaking MOON.

We'd already had the Mini Cooper S, the Ford Cortina, the Beatles, Liverpool had already won the FA Cup and added a league title in the 60s, England were still reigning World Cup champions and we had satellites which could beam television pictures around the world in real time.
    The beginning of the internet had already begun a people's real wages were still on the up.

I just get the imprerssion that now that mankind has passed over the peak, it's all going to peter out from here.