Things You've Noticed While Reading a John Book

Ok, so these may be completely far fetched ideas, and I get that. But there are some little things that I've noticed in some of John's books, the most prominent in TFiOS, that kind of foreshadow or sometimes link to other things, and I wanted to start a thread about them because I'd love to hear if any of you guys have found anything similar! 
Something that really stuck out to me after reading TFiOS for the billionth time was that the Encouragements applied to some of the things that were going to, or had already happened, to Hazel. I won't get too deep into it, because I would never forgive myself if I spoiled something for someone else, and I don't want to bore anyone, but if you have anything you'd like to share that you've found, please please please leave a comment. We could start like a little online book club or something with this :) 
"The world is not a wish-granting factory." -TFiOS

Comments

• TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    Oh yeah, foreshadowing everywhere. Uh, I'm not sure how to talk about any of them without spoilers, but pretty much every time there's a "mystery" in a John Green book, Paper Towns especially, there are all sorts of things indirectly talking about what the answer is going to be. In fact, that was probably what I enjoyed most about Paper Towns. 

The names of the parts are the most obvious, but there are also the separate and very distinct definitions of "Paper Towns" given that each talk indirectly about what's going on. Also Q's experiences in the various pseudovisions changes throughout in ways that mirror other aspects of the plot. 
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • Mary_FreshMary_Fresh Bowling Green, KYPosts: 108 ✭✭
    Things I've noticed: mostly that John Green LOVES Holden Caulfield in every way.

Meredith
    run - vegan - coffee - read - write - YOLO
    KY PROUD
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
    In Looking for Alaska the smoking hole is described as having blue chairs lined up by the creek. I noticed that every-time the chairs themselves are mentioned their color is mentioned as well. 20 days after the event in the book Pudge goes down to the smoking hole and throws one of these chairs against a concrete wall.

"I picked up a blue chair and threw it against the concrete wall, and the clang of plastic on concrete echoed beneath the bridge as the chair fell imply on its side..."

At first I thought of that mentioning this action was only for the sake of representing Pudge's state of mind, but then I recognized something else: the chairs were not the only object characteristically blue in the novel. I soon realized that the chair itself is parallel to Blue Citrus and the event that took place.
    You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
    but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
    a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.
  • arnodelozoarnodelozo Posts: 10
    I'm not completely sure about this, but are Alaska's nails painted electric blue? He says that when they are on the swing I think.
    I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.

• Yeah, her nails are blue too. That's cool, the blue stuff. I had never noticed that before. 
    Yeah, and when they take revenge on the Weekday Warriors or whatever, they dye their hair blue.
    The only thing I wonder about is why Alaska's eyes are green. He could easily make her eyes blue if he wanted references to blue.

• Maybe he didn't want to make it too obvious, or he just has a thing for green eyes. 
  • Mary_FreshMary_Fresh Bowling Green, KYPosts: 108 ✭✭
    ALSO HIS LAST NAME IS GREEN SO THERE'S THAT. 

Right?

Meredith
    run - vegan - coffee - read - write - YOLO
    KY PROUD
  • TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    ALSO HIS LAST NAME IS GREEN SO THERE'S THAT. 

Right?
    Sure, I'm okay with that. Let's go with it.
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
    Q. Is there significance to the Colonel calling Miles “Miles To Go Halter”?
    A. Halt Her.

*Mind Blown*

You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
    but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
    a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.
    Yeah, and he also says Miles refers to the distance between him and Alaska

• AnimatedDavidAnimatedDavid Posts: 9
    I've only read Paper Towns and TFIOS, but one thing I noticed between the two was the glaringly obvious increasing distance from his teen-hood. Increasing the depth of the parents, not glorifying the teens quite as much, etc. 

I think when you go into a John Green book you can have a certain expectations. "OK, i'm going to read a book featuring teens using as highfalutin language as the author can muster, full of literary references, where the teens learn lessons about idealizing things." 

I'm super interested in John's evolution into future projects. I know he kind of has his shtick, but I can see him evolving, and maybe TFIOS was as good as the standard John Green novel can get. 

He has said he wants to stick to the genre he's in, and not try to do anything else. Maybe his next book will be half from the teens point of view and half from the parents ;) ;P

• sydelisydeli Posts: 3
    John has a preoccupation with the metaphorical implications of cigarettes, blue nail polish, and loving people present tense.

All of these things show up in Alaska and TFiOS, and every time I reread them I think about that.
  • HollyhollyHollyholly Posts: 59
    I'm not quite sure if it fits in here, but in every book are tons of references to other books. Not only those mentioned but tons of others as well.
    In TFiOS for example there are references to Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Illness as Metaphor and Regarding the Suffering of Others by Susan Sontag, Great Gatsby  and others by F. Scott Fitzgerald and a lot of other books.

The sun was a toddler insistently refusing to go to bed. - TFiOS
  • AlexanderGreatAlexanderGreat Posts: 14
    An Imperial Affliction... I'm going to write a book and title it that just so we can discuss this. 

:D
  • HollyhollyHollyholly Posts: 59
    An Imperial Affliction... I'm going to write a book and title it that just so we can discuss this. 

:D
    Go ahead :) I will discuss the PIZZZAA out of it :)
    The sun was a toddler insistently refusing to go to bed. - TFiOS
  • ZoaThePersonZoaThePerson Nevada, the land o' dirtPosts: 243 ✭✭
    I am going to bring this discussion to the top of the feed because I think more good things could come out of it.

Also, in Katherines I noticed that he talked a little bit about an academic decathlon. In an old vlogbrothers video he said how he was in an academic decathlon in high school.

It isn't much but I find it interesting how he includes these tiny little bits of his life in his books. I say bits because I feel like there are other references similar to the one I mentioned but I don't remember them at the moment. There was Amsterdam in TFiOS if that counts, as he has said Amsterdam is one of his favorite cities.
    We must bring back the interrobang. What's an interrobang‽ 
    What do you mean "what's an interrobang?" 
    ‽ < that's an interrobang. a grammatically correct alternative to "?!" or "!?"

• OrestisAnime77OrestisAnime77 Posts: 4
    hey i noticed 
    in paper towns 
    in language they read Momby PIZZZAA
    and in looking for alaska 
    Chip read momby PIZZZAA too!
    i think john gave us some similarities
    on the books like easter eggs or something
    Hey My name is Orestes and im from greece.
    I'm John's fan i love his books, and before i read them
    i was think they are for love and for growing up or something.
    But i was wrong.
    I have read 
    -The Fault In Our Stars
    -Paper Towns
    -Lοοκing For Alaska
    (yet.)
    I love them.
    Some things about me is im completely freak. I havent any social life,
    im a wallflower. I love reading books, (my favorites are THE HUNGER GAMES, DIVERGENT and Cassandra Clare's books) i read all the kind of books, but them (with John's of course) are my favorites.
    So i want be a good nerdfighter and my dream is to be an actor and writter (!)
    i know you dont give a PIZZZAA what i want be but this is me. 
    i writte a fanfiction crossover for john's books with name Looking For Paper Stars
    and is very interesting but unfortunately is on greek.
    Someday i will translate it.
    i love anime music too..
    and i want meet person here :)
    Orestes.
  • KGB_the_Russian_SpyKGB_the_Russian_Spy The Actually Rather Divided States of AmericaPosts: 3,668 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Hi!  I'm new to Our Pants.
    Anyway, one thing I noticed in TFIOS was this weird foreshadowing.  When Hazel and Augustus get on the plane to Amsterdam, it says that apparently, "Augustus and I timed it so that we started watching the same romantic comedy at the same time on our respective screens.  But even though we were perfectly synchronized in our pressing of the play button, his movie started a couple seconds before mine." I had kinda had a sneaking suspicion that it was forshadowing NOT SPOILING ANYTHING, but I didn't know for sure until John confirmed it here: http://johngreenbooks.com/questions-about-the-fault-in-our-stars-spoilers/ 
    by KGB_the_Russian_Spy
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"  ~Neil Gaiman
  • IbokIbok Posts: 6
    Every time I read a new John Green book (or reread an old one [i've read TFIOS about 35 times!]) I think about something a little different. Life, death, happiness, my perspective, something about me changes (hopefully for the better).
  • euri_chaneuri_chan Posts: 3
    One thing I've noticed in John books is that the main characters don't end up together
  • ilovetatwdilovetatwd Posts: 2
    The time 4:56pm is a common aspect in Looking for Alaska and TFiOS. Death, departing, losing loved ones is mostly in all of his books. His fear of oblivion is too obvious in TFiOS and AAoK. Blue sky being cut open by the branches of the trees is in TFiOS and TAtWD. Dealing with a disease in TFiOS and TAtWD. I feel his books are mostly a way of knowing him better than about some fictional characters.