Calvin & Hobbes

IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
Because Calvin & Hobbes.
Post your favorite comic, or discuss how cool Calvin & Hobbes is.

You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.

Comments

• MrsWho42MrsWho42 The great state of Denial.Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."

• Oh GOD do I love Calvin and Hobbes! I think it's better than the usual comic strips (Garfield and the like). I realize that this isn't a very popular platform to stand for, but I don't care; it's more original to have a kid's imagination rather than an adult's (and trust me somewhat, I wrote a 20ish page research paper on comics...)
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues wrote a thesis on comics.
    Personally I love Calvin & Hobbes because it takes fresh (and mischievous) eyes to view and appreciate the world for all of it's faults and wonders. Something that Calvin does in a very entertaining and sincere way.

I believe that we are all kids on the inside, we've just suppressed our imaginations out of the fear of being judged, of not conforming to the an 'adult' way of life.

Though arguably some adults haven't given up their imaginations at all:
    You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
    but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
  • Hahaha. I'm an adult and I still have some Calvin and Hobbes on my bookshelf. 
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭
  • MorboMorbo Posts: 69
    edited February 2014
    Oh GOD do I love Calvin and Hobbes! I think it's better than the usual comic strips (Garfield and the like). I realize that this isn't a very popular platform to stand for, but I don't care; it's more original to have a kid's imagination rather than an adult's (and trust me somewhat, I wrote a 20ish page research paper on comics...)
    I'd love to read that. Is there any chance it's publicly availible or could be?
    Also: image
    by Morbo
    I fear for Night Vale. I fear for all those caught between what they know and what they don't yet know they don't know.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    YES!
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10300799_824468957574117_4628436719561682482_n.jpg

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭

http://arnoldzwicky.s3.amazonaws.com/CalvinIdiom.jpg
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • I've always read comics, but calvin and hobbes was my first!!! Best comic ever. Chromebook having problems with photos, but here is my favorite with notes from bill watterson http://pocketlass.tumblr.com/post/20841856400/joshishollywood-this-is-one-of-the-weirdest
  • jupiterrocks24jupiterrocks24 Amestris, of course!Posts: 26

I love how Calvin turns his parents against each other. Like that one where they go out to eat and the strip ends with his dad saying, "I just wanted a beagle, but NOOO!" and his mom's like, "You're blaming this on ME?"

"Now I see. You're jealous. You're jealous of humans aren't you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you're envious of that."

~Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist