Oblivion

KiarKiar ElsewherePosts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Roleplaying

Somewhere in the Universe, space flexed.

A darkness emerged from the void, stretching and warping reality until it had formed a shape of its own. The being writhed, tearing at itself, and its conflict consumed galaxies. Finally, after seconds that had manifested to the being as eternities, it tore itself in two, and the halves resolved into separate entities.

"Ahhhh," one sighed, though neither communicated with anything that could resemble words. "It has been so long. Are you ready for another game?"

The second thing orbited the first like a cat warily circling a serpent. "We play no game."

"Certainly," the first replied. "A game of Fates."

"To call it a game does Reality a disservice." 

The two things were moving, stars and asteroids, black holes and neutron stars warping out of their paths. As they travelled – drawn towards something not even they could articulate – they began to take physical form. Limbs solidified and took color, fingers splicing into existence and eyes glowed hotter than stars. Clothes sprouted from their bodies, falling about their figures like blankets of snow, and a smile split the face of the first. The being was garbed in a white labcoat and bore a pair of spectacles. His face was exceptionally handsome and his eyes were a startling shade of grey. He looked down at himself in surprise.

"I had forgotten what I looked like," the being said. He took off the pair of glasses and examined them. With a dismissive shrug, he placed the bifocal back on his nose, and his attire rippled into a younger, more casual form.

The second appeared older. She seemed to be a woman, her skin cut from space itself. Her black hair and eyes shimmered with a subtle, silver light. She chose to be garbed in simple, conservative clothes. In the distance, a blue jewel resolved itself, and grew rapidly larger.

"Too long has your rule lasted," the woman said. "Too long has entropy corrode the Universe."

The man laughed lightly. "And it has been an interesting run, has it not? Far better than your stagnant ways."

"Order finds a way to prevail," the woman said. They were descending through the planet's atmosphere, fire burning about their beings. "Take this planet, for instance. Even in your chaotic rule life found a way to exist." She smiled slightly. "It must pain you to see your reality so plagued by defiance."

"Defiance?" The man wondered. They continued downwards, past clouds and birds and planes, all unaware of the beings that descended upon them. "Life, intelligence – humanity – is more chaotic that you suppose. I consider them no defiance of my rule; rather, they are a part of it."

The town they settled over was one like any other. It was a medium sized city on the front of an ocean. The day was just beginning and the sky was clear. It was entirely unremarkable, except for the fact that it would be at the epicenter of a solar eclipse schedule to occur later that day.

"Here?" the woman asked.

"Here."

Law regarded him with sad eyes. 

"Will you chose our champions?"

"Of course not," Discord smiled.

"Chaos shall decide." And like a composer before an orchestra he raised his arms, and the world drew a breath.

Character Sheet

Name:

Description:

Personality:

Interests:

(SHORT) Bio:

Alignment:

You can have up to two characters. When Discord begins the campaign, I will message each of you to tell you what power your character has. When they get their power they will be completely aware of what it is. At that time they will also be drawn towards one of the alignments (order or chaos.) It may not be strong at first and it is possible to resist it, but an urge to pick a side will steadily grow.

Besides that, the plot will be revealed as we play. And yes, characters will be killed off. Have fun!

by Kiar
"A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
My writing project

Comments

• TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Quick question, do they decide what side they're on, or is it just random? Cause having a super organized character end up on the Chaos side would be rather fun
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    The characters are not able to decide what side they're on, they're simply drawn to one of them. However you can choose whichever side is more fitting (or amusing) for them to align with. 

EDIT: I mean personally, I'm all about duality. I freaking love it when a hero is chaotic, or a villain is very organized. Which is why I have Discord wearing glasses. 
    by Kiar
    My writing project
  • rydude17rydude17 ScotlandPosts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭
    I've made a character already, I just don't know if he would fit. I'm gonna wait until someone else posts one to post him.
  • jimspider13jimspider13 Miss London, UKPosts: 3,916 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014

Character Sheet

Name: Bear (Bethany) Harrison

Description: She's a shortish girl with a willowy build. Her hair reaches down to her mid-back and is a thick curly mess of sandy blond strands. She's rather modest in her dress sense and as she tends to wear skinny jeans/legins with a t-shirt that normally has some obscure pop culture reference on it. 

Occupation: Student studying Cinematography, give this girl a camera and she'll love you forever. 

Personality: She has a rather sunny disposition and will normally smile in the presents of friend, family and people who she doesn't class as strangers. But she's not a ditsy blond, she's very careful around people and despite her friendliness is rather shy.  

Interests: Films (Watching and how they're made.), playing violin and weighting stores mast become more like scripts.

(SHORT) Bio: She's a british girl who has always loved cinema since a young age as her farther used to take her to the kids club film every saturday morning. This sparked her interest for all things film and is what sent her to study in the US. She plans to go back to the uk after she's done studying though.

Alignment: Order

by jimspider13
    Go ahead and post him, I'll let you know if it doesn't work. I'll also be making a character so I can interact with you guys apart from the omnipotent beings XD
    My writing project
    edited January 2014

Character Sheet

Name: Danny Martainet

Description: He's a tall and skinny in a healthy sense. He has deep blue eyes and a Tennentish hair cut, witch is a mousey brown mess. He wears rather plain clothing like jeans and a t-shirt/ maybe an unbuttoned shirt over the top to mix things up a little bit. 

Personality: He's a very reserved and keeps to himself as he doesn't want his other self to surface.

Interests: Paintballing, laser tag, he tried clay pidgin shooting and found it enjoyable, but he loves to doodle in a sketch pad he keeps with him.

(SHORT) Bio: In his university years he used to take a fair amount of pot, this unforchantly sent hime over the edge and he started to develop skitsoprenic symptoms. He was in and out of clinics and is now stable and on medication. But you never know when his other side will surface.

If theres any problems with the characters just tell me :) I also had to put this in two comments because of this websites stupid character limit :(

by jimspider13
    edited January 2014
    Also you guys are going to be picking the alignment of your characters now, so you might as well tack those onto the end @jimspider13

Ooh, you're giving me so many tasty ideas for powers XD
    by Kiar
    My writing project
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I know I just needed to think on that bit, because i'm not sure where to go with them. Danny could go either way but I think Bear will probably be leaning towards order.
    Can they change sides half way though?
    by jimspider13

Two Characters for me.

Name: Lisa Dawson (formally Luis)

Description: About 5'5" she has an average built, her hair is purple and blue and she has a sleeve tattoo on both arms (right left), and a phoenix and some flowers on her legs, a bridge piercing, two eyebrow piercings on her right eyebrow, and a number of piercings in each ear. She tends to wear tank tops and skirts.

Personality: Really outgoing and often random, she's really nice and friendly. If you let her get started she'll talk your ear off about anything

Interests: Learning, she always has something she's learning about, never leaves home without her I-pod full of podcasts and TED talks, and her kindle.

(SHORT) Bio: Grew up in a town where everyone knew her as 'that weird girly gay boy.' Her parents were less than thrilled when she came out as gay, and all but kicked her out when she told them the whole story. So she moved in with some internet friends when she was 17, started transition, and eventually went to school to be a tattoo artist. So far as she's aware those two friends are the only ones that know she was born with the wrong sexual organs. She doesn't actively hide the fact, but isn't actively open after how her parents reacted.

Alignment: Chaos

Name:Kurt Stevens.

Description: A towering 7 and a half feet tall with a muscular build, tan skin, light blue eyes and short blond hair.

Occupation: Pooper Scooper. Basically he gets called to pick up dog poo, sometimes he does kitty litter too! Also occasional pet sitter, dog walker, groomer, and so on.

Personality: Kind of lazy, but well organized. He's a hard worker, and doesn't even complain about his sh*tty job, he actually quite likes the way it's mundane and repetitive, yet random and spontaneous at the same time.

Interests:Video games, comic books, TV, youtube, and the like, even goes to conventions.

(SHORT) Bio: He's in high school right now, his mom insisted he get a job, so he made his own business. It's actually been really successful and he's been at it for four years. He has a strict schedule to keep with his regulars, and time for spontaneous people as well. He's currently making almost as much as his mom every month as he's the person most of the city turns to for pet-related jobs. Including the city officials, he gets paid to clean up all the dog sh*t around town and he's basically got it down to a science. Even got himself a van for all his stuff.

Yep. Pooper scooper. The god of order has a professional sh*t-picker-uper on her team. These two good?

What character limit?

Kiar said:
    Also you guys are going to be picking the alignment of your characters now, so you might as well tack those onto the end @jimspider13

Ooh, you're giving me so many tasty ideas for powers XD
    When should we expect our powers :P
    Name: Jim Tanners

Description: Thin, tall and lanky. Wears glasses and has a mess of ginger curls on his head.

Occupation: Games Tester. (In the sense of looking for bugs, not actually playing any of the fun bits of the game)

Personality: Quiet, though when amongst friends he's often the loudest. Likes to be funny and can come off as being a teensy bit narcissistic, though this is mostly just faux-confidence he puts on in an attempt to make friends laugh.

Interests: A consumer of media. Loves movies, books, tv, but especially games. At least, he likes games when he plays them at home. Also quite a bit of a history buff.

(SHORT) Bio: Grew up a bit of an outcast, never really having any friends until his teen years. He had always loved games but never really knew how to get into the industry. Since he hadn't really done well at school and needed money he applied for a Testing job. He really hates the work, but just hopes that he'll be able to work his way up to a less tedious and repetitive position.

Alignment: Orderly. Very orderly.
    Name: Mark Garfield

Description: Short, kinda skinny, with long blonde hair and very bright floral clothes. Always wears sunglasses.

Occupation: He sells fruits and vegetables that he grows in his garden.

Personality: What one might call a "tree hugger". Massive advocator for animal rights, and a little bit of a superiority complex regarding that.

Interests: Animal rights, protecting the ecosystem, gardening, and generally anything to do with nature.

(SHORT) Bio: His mother was a bit of a hippie herself at a time and passed this down to him, but his father was a corporate sellout. He left home when he was 15 to pursue a career as a protester, until he realised you don't get paid for protesting against bad things. Then he learnt how to grow his own food and fully embraced the organic lifestyle.

Alignment: I think chaos, but am not really sure.
    @jimspider13 I'm going to say... yes. Generally they are on the side that is most aligned with their personality/beliefs. However, they may also be aligned to a side that they disagree with, and the alignment warps their personality to make them fit better. What side they're on can change, such as them believing they should support Order but are slowly corrupted by Chaos, or they may be persuaded to change sides. However the persuasion would have to be very strong. Does any of that make sense? 

The powers will come probably in the first one or two pages. 

Characters look great so far!
    My writing project
    Kiar said:
    @jimspider13 I'm going to say... yes. Generally they are on the side that is most aligned with their personality/beliefs. However, they may also be aligned to a side that they disagree with, and the alignment warps their personality to make them fit better. What side they're on can change, such as them believing they should support Order but are slowly corrupted by Chaos, or they may be persuaded to change sides. However the persuasion would have to be very strong. Does any of that make sense? 

The powers will come probably in the first one or two pages. 

Characters look great so far!
    Yeah I get that, I just want Danny to have a constant struggle with both sides. But i'll put him on the side of order for now.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Character Sheet

Name: Julian Hynlin

Description: 6' 0", very thin, green eyes, brown hair, always wearing a t-shirt and jeans

Personality: Known for two things: being wise and rarely talking to anyone. He's very analytical and will think decisions through very far into the future

Interests: war strategy, designing stable hypothetical societies, and fencing

(SHORT) Bio: Nothing particularly significant. Once he realized he can think he pretty much only ever thought. He gets along with his parents and sister fine, but mainly because he interacts with them very little.

Alignment:Order

When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • CobaltBookwormCobaltBookworm Home of Venus FlytrapsPosts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭

Name: Adrien Phirun

Description: Quite short, has glasses and brown eyes and a mohawk of brightly died white and brown hair. Carries a messenger bag around to hold his stuff.

Occupation: Works at the local library, he likes the quiet of the building and the completely clueless boss who doesn't give a sh*t what he does. 

Personality: Pretty cheerful, and outgoing, but doesn't like being around crowds, as it makes his ears ring. Otherwise, he will talk with anyone and anything, as long as it will listen. 

Interests: The sciences, mostly astronomy and astrophysics, some chemistry. 

(SHORT) Bio: Lives with his mom and younger brother, who he cares for deeply. Finally got a job to help his struggling mom, even though it pays relatively little. 

"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • zonzonnzonzonn MarylandPosts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭
    Name: Maxine (Max) Martin

Description: Average in all ways except her outlook on life. Maxine is just an average girl, always standing in the middle row of class photos, never feeling the need to get in shape, constantly eating candy. The only area where Maxine doesn't seem or feel average is her outlook on life. She's optimistic, often annoyingly so. She keeps her teal hair loosely curled, and fashioned in a pin up hair style. (Victory rolls are hard tho). Tends to dress in high waisted pants and deep colored floral print shirts, often paired with a chunky necklace.

Occupation: Owns and operates her own bookstore/cafe with a close friend.

Personality: As stated, optimistic and super bubbly. Meeting new people is always fantastic, and she always manages to have fun. Occasionally internally threatens to stab someone. Years of working with customers have trained her how to hide how annoyed she is beneath layers of kindness.

Interests: supplying antique books for her store takes most of her time. She bakes quire a bit, as well as goes on biweekly hikes, and weekly hangouts with friends.

(SHORT) Bio: lives in the apartment above the store. Her time is mostly dedicated to bringing in business and hosting workshops. Max was finally able to move out of her parent's house a year ago, due mostly to her boyfriend's promotion and his share of the rent. She hasn't paid herself for work in the year her shop has been open. A budget master, and expert bullshitter.

"You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
    edited January 2014
    My goodness, we've got quite a number more on here than I'd anticipated? Do I only have to say "your character will die" to get more people to sign up? ;) I'll post my character and we'll kick this thing off later today.

Hope you don't mind if I build of your character, @zonzonn

Name: Jessica

Description: Average height, lanky figure, brown hair pulled up. Several piercings in her left ear. Hazel eyes.

Occupation: Works at the cafe/bookstore with Max. She does a lot of the paperwork and helps out making the coffee as well.

Personality: High energy, hard to bring her down.

Interests: Reading, coffee, she also likes to go on morning runs.

(SHORT) Bio: She and Max go pretty far back. Max opened the store, and Jessica came along to help out soon after.

by Kiar
    My writing project
    I think people feel inclined to make multiple characters if some of them might die, and people who weren't too bothered about the RP are more likely to make at least one character just to give it a chance since there's an easy cop-out if it turns out not to be for them. So, yeah. Saying characters will die will almost certainly make more people join!
    Can we start now? :)
    Ooooh. This is exciting! I don't mind the building at all. ^.^
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
    OOC: Haha, sure, why not?

Jessica had gotten back from her morning run, the sun still not quite over the city's skyline. There was going to be a solar eclipse that day, the news said.  It wasn't scheduled to start for another couple of hours, but by then she expected the sun to be high enough to see. She supposed she might step out of the shop for a minute to watch. It might be interesting.
    My writing project
    edited January 2014
    Bear was getting ready for the day, packing her camera and a few spear batteries just in case. She and some of her college friends had decided to get some cool footage of the solar eclipse and she was buzzing at the idea of catching such a rare event on her camera. Vzzz...vzzz "Oh hey Matt....Yeah i'll be right over just double checking i've got everything first...Alright see you in a minuet." She said in a bubbly voice as she picked up her phone.

Danny on the other hand was still in his apartment, his shift didn't start for another few hours so he thought he'd get some sketches in now that he had some time. 'I'm going to need a new book soon.' He thought setting down his half drunk beer and flipping though the worn pages of his sketch book.
    by jimspider13
    ((Can I say it's Saturday and/or some kind of school break so Kurt and the other young people don't have school? Cause I'm going to assume I can :P))

Lisa was just waking up, she had an appointment at the shop in a couple hours, and was just flopping out of bed and shuffling into the kitchen to make herself some coffee. Once the pot was done she drank while reading the paper. She also had an appointment with her therapist later that day. She as she finished her coffee, not quite ready to be up yet. Once she was done her coffee she took her hormones and went back to her room to get dressed. The paper had said there was going to be a total solar eclipse later, it was at a time when she didn't have anything going on, so she planned to find a way to watch it.

Kurt's alarm clock went off abruptly, shocking him out of a dream. In the dream he had been jumping 50 feet in the air to impress some girl his imagination had cooked up when she suddenly turned into a snowman and started shooting at him, then some guy in a black suit jumped out of- and it was gone. He'd been thinking of how strange the dream was and, like always, he suddenly forgot all the details once his brain actually started working. Whatever. He stared at the alarm clock for the time it took for the clock to go up one minute, then forced himself to get up. He got into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and headed downstairs to where his mom had made pancakes. "City wants me to clean up the dog sh*t in the park cause of that eclipse." He said, "People really gotta start cleaning up after their own dumb pets."
    "Then you wouldn't have a job," his mom said, passing him a plate that had pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and some fruit.
    "I'd be okay with that for a day." Kurt replied before sitting down on the bar chairs they had at their counter and started on the bacon.

((Oh, because I can, I'm going to say that Lisa is still not 100% used to talking in her female voice all the time, so when she's talking in her female voice I'm going to put it in italics and when she's not it'll be normal.))
    OOC: Sure, let's make it a Saturday. Kurt's dream really makes me want to give him some kind of jumping powers. But I already know what he's getting. It'll be better. >:)
    My writing project
    Max slowly rolled out of bed, doing her best to stay quiet enough that Dempsey could sleep in. She padded to the bathroom, brushed out the curls she had pinned the night before, and styled it. 45 minutes after waking up, she was headed down the stairs to open the shop. She had a box of freshly baked cookies tucked under her arm. She hummed as she unlocked the front of the store, excited for the eclipse later that day.
    ((That dream is just a combination of three or four dreams I faintly remember having))
    Adrien jumped out of bed, hurriedly made sure his hair at least didn't look like a diseased rat was taking a nap on his head, and left for the library, his messenger bag full of the heavy astronomy books he had been reading the night before. 
    Nearing the street, he stopped in front of shop, contemplating whether he should quickly get breakfast or get a good vantage point in the library's tall tower to view the eclipse. 
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    Bear was walking to meet Matt, they'd decided to meet up at the cafe with a few others and then head out to find a good/interesting spot to shoot. "Hey." She said noticing Adrien outside the shop. "Are you going in?" She didn't want to push passed him so she thought asking would be the lesser of the two rudnesses.
    Adrien pulled away from his musings, looking at a girl his age staring at him for an answer. 
    "Oh, uh sorry. Go ahead." He said, stepping out of the way to let her in, noticing the camera bag on her shoulder. 
    "Nice set up." He said, following her inside.