NBA Basketball

MobydickulousMobydickulous Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm not in any way surprised that there's no NBA thread yet. It seems like the least popular "major" sport these days, but I've been a huge Boston Celtics fan all my life and while they're not playing up to their potential so far I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this season plays out with all the moves around the league in the off season.

Any other NBA fans here?

~Darek

It has to be...AND IT IS!!

Comments

• jneels25jneels25 Posts: 12
    I'm not a huge follower of NBA teams, but I would say my favorite would be the Thunder.
  • lauren137lauren137 Posts: 32
    I'm also a huge Celtics fan! Last season very nearly broke my heart, because I so, so wanted that big 3 to at least make it to the Final one last time. (Bill Simmons wrote a great essay on Celtics fandom that I still read and reread....it's here if you haven't seen it: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8026268/the-consequences-caring)

• RachelbluRachelblu Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Please don't hate me but I'm a huge Heat fan
    "We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." -The Breakfast Club
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dallas Mavericks till I die

Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • MobydickulousMobydickulous Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Rachelblu said:

I don't hate on any individual fans, everyone is entitled to cheer on their team.

As long as that team isn't the Lakers :)

lauren137 said:
    I'm also a huge Celtics fan! Last season very nearly broke my heart, because I so, so wanted that big 3 to at least make it to the Final one last time. (Bill Simmons wrote a great essay on Celtics fandom that I still read and reread....it's here if you haven't seen it: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8026268/the-consequences-caring)

Great to see another Cs fan!  I really enjoy Simmons, it helps that he's a giant Boston sports homer, but I like almost everything he writes and his podcast is consistently entertaining and often informative. His Book of Basketball is a fantastic read for any NBA fan and I try to breeze through Grantland at least once a week.

~Darek

Rachelblu said:
    Hey, no worries! I have trouble with some of the personalities on that team, but even I have to admit watching Lebron play can be pretty awesome. 
  • Rachelblu said:

I don't hate on any individual fans, everyone is entitled to cheer on their team.

As long as that team isn't the Lakers :)

lauren137 said:

Great to see another Cs fan!  I really enjoy Simmons, it helps that he's a giant Boston sports homer, but I like almost everything he writes and his podcast is consistently entertaining and often informative. His Book of Basketball is a fantastic read for any NBA fan and I try to breeze through Grantland at least once a week.
    I've always had two rules when it comes to sports:
    1) Anyone but Duke
    2) Anyone but the Lakers

High five on #2!
  • YossarianYossarian Posts: 44
    Oh, hey, look at that. All your teams have lost this season. That's so cute.

Yossarian said:

Oh, hey, look at that. All your teams have lost this season. That's so cute.

It was only a matter of time before a Knicks fan showed up. You lot seem much more vocal this year for some reason :)

In all seriousness though, it's great to see winning ball come out of MSG. As a fan of the game, the NBA needs the Knicks to be a factor again.

~Darek

@nellanellacasa High five accepted and returned, but I have some bad news about me in regards to #1...

~Darek

I don't want Lakers fans to feel like they can't comment or aren't welcome (even though the Lakers/Celtics rivalry is reason enough for me to not root for them). Your team is your team -- just like relationships, you don't always get to choose who you love! 

That said, I think respectful, life-affirming trash talk is an important aspect of NBA fandom. :)
    lauren137 said:
    I don't want Lakers fans to feel like they can't comment or aren't welcome
    Agree.

~Darek

• nellanellacasanellanellacasa Posts: 26
    edited November 2012
    lauren137 said:
    I don't want Lakers fans to feel like they can't comment or aren't welcome (even though the Lakers/Celtics rivalry is reason enough for me to not root for them). Your team is your team -- just like relationships, you don't always get to choose who you love! 

That said, I think respectful, life-affirming trash talk is an important aspect of NBA fandom. :)
    lauren137  Hahahaha ain't that the truth! 
    @Mobydickulous Oh noooo not Duke! Hahah. Objectively though, I have to admit. They're definitely on of the best.
    by nellanellacasa
  • Chicago Bulls all the way (: I saw them kick Minnesota Timberwolves butt a couple of weeks ago and that was exciting.

I honestly don't understand this season at all, some crazy storylines out there.

From a personal standpoint the Celtics are a confusing team sice they can go out one night, look lost and get blown out by the Pistons and then a few days later look like a serious contender in handling the Thunder. Plus Rondo is now sitting on 36 games in a row with double digit assists, which is a crazy number.

Then you've got the Knicks looking like a powerhouse from the start of the season and then the Rockets come in tonight and blow them out.

And what in the world is going on with the Lakers?

I actually like the unpredictability but there were just a bunch of ridiculous scores and stat lines out there tonight.

~Darek

• LookingForMyMiracleLookingForMyMiracle Posts: 939 ✭✭✭
    I'm a massive Bulls fan, but I pretty much follow every team.

In regards to the Celtics, they seem like a team that needs a lot of motivation. If they don't feel like they're playing a must win game, they don't put much a effort up. Defense, especially from the younger players,, also looks like a problem for them this year. 
    ''The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints- 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...''
  • Spurs are definitely my favorite. They're a hardworking team with beautiful diversity and sportsmanship. Great great team to watch play.
  • ELOfan86ELOfan86 Urbana, IllinoisPosts: 15
    My favorite team by far is Chicago, but i do watch the Spurs when their on, I've always been a Papavich and Duncan fan.