Magic: The Gathering

SammySammy Posts: 143 ✭✭
So, you guys know what it is about!

What are your favorite colors? Strategy? Best deck EVER? How much money have you spent on cards (lol!)? =D
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be like 'whaaaaaaat?'".

Comments

• JeremyJeremy Posts: 80
    This is a game I like a lot, but never really got into. The startup cost is way too high. I like watching people play it though. Fun times.
    Twitter
    PSN - JeremyIsWell
  • SophiaSophia Posts: 46 ✭✭
    God, I haven't played in forever. @_@ I tried joining the Magic club here, but they've introduced a lot of new mechanics and I was swamped. I miss Magic. Oh man.
    Ladies and gentlemen, do not be alarmed. Please, remain perfectly still
    What you are about to see is real. The performers are not grinning 
    scarecrows sent here to torture and manipulate you.
  • RobertStyxRobertStyx Posts: 30
    I used to play it, and sort of wish I still did. I just didn't have the time or money to keep up with it though, so I ended up quitting it. It is a really fun game. I wish there was some where near me that played modern or vintage formats rather than just standard, but there isn't. =[
  • OrfantalOrfantal Posts: 6
    I just started playing again. Usually I start playing to play with friends and suddenly everyone stops being active. Which sucks. But I do my best to keep playing :P

As for decks, I usually play stuff I like playing instead of good decks. Right now I'm finishing my zombie deck and will make a vampire EDH deck afterwords. In the mean time I have some simple decks like a green deck to summon some big creatures and a white and blue weenie deck.

Also: I LOVE THIS GAME.
  • LalocheziaLalochezia Posts: 49 ✭✭
    One of my favorites. I'm super happy with Return to Ravnica, I like playing Golgari.
  • Prospero101Prospero101 Posts: 45
    I've been running red-black Nocturnus vamps, but I haven't played since the rollout, so I've some tweaking to do.
    "Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
    If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
    Till she cry, 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
    I must have you.'"
    -Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
  • NekomancerNekomancer Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I'm a pretty serious Magic player. My favorite EDH deck is currently Ertai, The Corrupted. Love having a deck full of powerful control spells.

I used to play pretty frequently at PTQs, Star City opens, and other competitive events. Did pretty well, but kind of got burned out on the minimal variety you encounter when you dig into a format deeply enough. Also decided that I didn't have enough in common with much of the community. Nowadays, I mostly play cube and EDH, and hit up prereleases and an occasional sealed event (plus the Grand Prix whenever it's in the region, which I totally recommend going to regardless of your level of play; it's a blast).
  • TaloreTalore Posts: 32
    I get to play whenever I'm feeling well enough... mostly EDH/Commander, casual 60-card, and Limited, in that order of frequency. I am also a moderator on MTGSalvation, the largest MTG forum on the interwebz! ^_^

My favourite colour combination is U/R/G, I think it represents me very well idealogically and I just like making decks like that. All of my decks have themes rather than just being composed of goodstuff, and they always end up needing waaaay too much mana >_>
    Colm. Nerdfighter. Social activist. Pagan. Warrior-poet.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -John Muir
  • ElroElro Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I haven't played an actual game of MTG in a long time but I did buy Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 a few weeks ago on Steam which is quite a lot of fun, even if it is missing the whole deck building part of the game.
  • dempedempe Posts: 5
    I would love to begin playing. Had some cards when I was younger but then it was only for the artwork. Silly me..
    There arent really any clubs where I live. Is it possible to play over Skype maybe? Would be fun if it works!
    Going to get Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 and start learning soon anyway :D
    Maybe someone got tips for a new player?
  • SophiaSophia Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @dempe: I really don't think you can Skype it...think about the logistics. You need to be able to see one board - it'd be clumsy. There's software for playing online, however. I'm partial to Magic Workstation, but it's a bit old, if I remember right.
    Ladies and gentlemen, do not be alarmed. Please, remain perfectly still
    What you are about to see is real. The performers are not grinning 
    scarecrows sent here to torture and manipulate you.
  • TaloreTalore Posts: 32
    Cockatrice works really well for that, it is newer than MWS and is oriented towards playing. You can have multiplayer matches and a ton of other features.
    Colm. Nerdfighter. Social activist. Pagan. Warrior-poet.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -John Muir
  • I play MtG casually, I use Blue cause I love to control the flow of a game. 
  • RadagastRadagast Posts: 45
    Haven't played since high school, back when it first came out and EVERYONE was playing it. Had a pretty decent green-white deck, as I recall, but I never played it all that well. Still, fun memories.
  • phoenix88phoenix88 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 146 ✭✭
    played during my senior year of undergrad, then got out of it cause it's too much of a financial burden to keep up with right now.  I royally sucked when i played, largely because it took me forever to get the strategy down, but yea.  i had a blast playing and do wanna get back into it.
    Yay nerdfighters! 

*insert witty quote here*
  • In standard I play a r/b homebrew deck, which is doing fairly well (although i havent been to an fnm to test it in quite some time).
    My newest build is a standard WUBRG Battle of Wits deck. I uh... i really like Battle of Wits, even though I am a WBR player.

I also play a lot of EDH, mostly focusing on WUBRG decks. 
    DFTBA
  • I love Magic :) I started playing in about April of this year, and was quickly enthralled. I love Return To Ravnica, it's a very cool setting with great cards in all the colors, but I think my favorite color combo is coming in Gatecrash. I love green and blue, though recently I've been playing green white. I really only play with my boyfriend, and he's the same. I think Magic for couples is a completely different world than competitive Magic, or even Magic when you play with friends. I'm not to ally confident when I have played with other people, but I do enjoy deck building with the cards I have. That being said, because its a trading card game that's been around for year and years, there will always be better players than me unless I invest a ton of time and money into figuring out the history of the game and its mechanics. So really, I'm just a casual player, and I'd like to keep it that way for my wallet's sake.
  • Anybody else hate Standard? I just found out about Modern and it sounds so much better not having the same cookie cutter decks as everyone else and being able to use whatever hecka rad old cards I find. Also, EDH. I have a Mayael the Anima deck and I'm trying to make a Ghave deck right now. Anybody else play? What are your generals?
  • amy182amy182 Posts: 3
    I have a standard green/white populate deck right now with Return to Ravnica that is very, very fun to play. 
    Also I love playing Duels of the Planeswalker on Steam!
  • I haven't played since Magic 2013 dropped (Finances can't support it) but I used to run Goblins in Standard, as well a R/B Wort, Boggart Auntie EDH Deck that is a lot of fun to play.
    "Who's scruffy-lookin'?"
  • VyctorianVyctorian Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I love M:TG, though I left it around the time they brought back poison. My favorite colors to run are Green and Red as they both suit my play style and personality. I also love drafting, it has to be one of my all time favorite things to do in magic.
  • TheZomgKittyTheZomgKitty CT-RSAPosts: 25
    I was introduced to magic last week Wednesday and have developed an obsession. The deck I got from one of my friends who is a boy but not my boyfriend is a green black golgari deck and I quite enjoy it :) I'm looking forward to more magic in the future ^^ 
  • I am jonesing for a Vraska deck. Deathtouch for players is my feverdream.
  • therisingtithestherisingtithes Trinidad, W.I.Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I was hoping there'd be an M:tG thread somewhere in Our Pants! Excelsior!
    I haven't played in a while, because my deck is really old (majorly Lorwyn and Future Sight - I know having an old deck isn't a big deal, but a whole lot of new mechanics have come into the game since, so I'm itching to get my hands on the Innistrad or Return to Ravnica blocks), most of my friends have stopped playing, and I just wasn't really good at deck management and knowing what was the best build for me (but I was hoping to get there!). I wish at some point to get back into it, but for now I'm just as content with observing from the bleachers. It's probably the only big-name TCG out there I can stand to either play or watch being played.
    Quod evenit in labyrintho properantibus:
    ipsa illos velocitas inplicat.
    --------------------------------------------------
  • MizulinaMizulina Posts: 5
    I used a deck agro: red and white! 
    i love my deck, but i lost them lol! Fuckk where are my deck !! T_T
    so...
    i just say this xD because my english is bad, yey, very bad! u-u
  • MaxWBeaulieuMaxWBeaulieu Los Angeles, CAPosts: 60 ✭✭
    I love EDH, and magic, problem is people in my area tend to be hyper competitive. 
  • DariusLionsDariusLions Posts: 6
    I've been playing for a few years.  I would say I'm experienced, but not great at Magic and I tend to play standard and commander (which makes very excited for the new commander sets).  Big U/B fan because mill is just so underplayed and unique.  I play a zombie Grimgrin EDH, but have recently been looking for something other than commander so I checked out this website http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=709&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=views for ideas.
  • PresidentDogPresidentDog Havre de Grace, MDPosts: 21
    I've been playing Magic since I was in middle school, all the back to Odyssey block. My first big deck, like a lot of people at the time, was U/G Madness because it was cheap and powerful at the same time. When Onslaught block rolled around and goblins got big, my father bought me my first deck of little red men and I've been in love with goblins, and later on red, ever since. Even to this day, my main constructed decks are a red aggro deck for Standard and a goblin deck for Modern. I also dabble in EDH, with a Mayael the Anima deck that loves to spit out the biggest creatures ever and a Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer deck that I themed around professional wrestling, specifically the hall of famer "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. Furthermore, I picked up three of the new preconstructed Commander decks and want to build around Prossh, plus I'm going to use pieces from the Oloro deck to make a Sphinx tribal deck.
    President Dog Takes On...: It's my animation review blog!

There's nothing going on between me and Cleo, though she did let me poo in her backyard once.
  • MaxWBeaulieuMaxWBeaulieu Los Angeles, CAPosts: 60 ✭✭
    I've been playing for a few years.  I would say I'm experienced, but not great at Magic and I tend to play standard and commander (which makes very excited for the new commander sets).  Big U/B fan because mill is just so underplayed and unique.  I play a zombie Grimgrin EDH, but have recently been looking for something other than commander so I checked out this website http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=709&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=views for ideas.
    You are one of those guys who is living the dream. I know a couple of guys in my local store that live the Mill dream.
  • eder_logan870eder_logan870 Indianapolis, INPosts: 3
    I got into MTG this past summer. I worked at a camp, and nearly every staff member played it in our off time. It was practically a requirement for employment. My favorite part of that was the camp director, who was the only person who didn't have a clue how to play, would come in in the morning and flip over the top card from someone's library and scream, "I win!" Ahh, I miss that. Now I can occasionally play at fantasy club, but it's more fun to play with people I know, I think.