Books or E-books?

amethystwillow07amethystwillow07 MinnesOOOOtaPosts: 93
edited April 2014 in Books & Literature
This is a just-for-fun poll to see where most nerdfighters stand on the whole "real" books versus e-books debate. What is your preference?

"There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice."

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Books or E-books? 131 votes

Paper books only
45%
drumbroKiarTangerineHastingswhovian19nerdycatlover516MarcellaclaraoswaldLavache_BeadsmanAmazingGraceoceanpotionGara_the_engineerDominiqueRolloKritikalnaIIirisSBriRose23Morgan33ThaTurtle 59 votes
E-books only
3%
NickHarvey27MySoleSelfEvanNPresidentJokotuzzer 5 votes
Both
48%
sterlingToddrunaJustinSwanlovelikeangelsmonkeycootiesmissgracelessdigitalsleepaeryn_of_earthmattierenSANTA_ATE_CHICAGOMcEstebanbananaboatamethystwillow07izy200LibertyNerd25Pandagirl8makeitagoodonePhoeenBanafritSamtan 63 votes
Other (please explain in a comment)
3%
johnhmaloneyemmmmalineeeeMndrewcentaurie 4 votes

Comments

• RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    Paper books only
    E-books? Seriously?

I need nothing to read a dead-tree-paper-book. I don't need to charge it, I don't need to download anything, I have something to show off once I've read it (because a bookcase looks impressive).

'Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.'
    - Henry Ward Beecher
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • digitalsleepdigitalsleep USAPosts: 73 ✭✭
    Both
    It depends. I buy physical books I want to collect. I follow the Spice&Wolf series rather religiously and I will buy every physical copy they release. But, then there are books I have little knowledge about and feel no reason to demand a physical copy; in such cases an e-book works just fine.
  • MarcellaMarcella Yeah The NetherlandsPosts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Paper books only
    The use of the word "only" in the poll made this a bit of a difficult choice, as I do prefer to read actual books over reading on an iPad or my phone. That's more because I get very distracted by the fact that the internet is right behind my book. All I have to do is close the tab with the book and I can go on the internet, rather than like the difference between holding a book and an iPad.
    Of course it's also nice to have bookcases full of books in your room; it's welcoming.
    "If the kids don't believe, make them believe."

- Alex Gaskarth
  • excelnerdexcelnerd Posts: 4
    Both

I bought a kindle last year and like a lot of e-reader users, it increased the amount of reading I do, particularly fiction. I love that when I decide I want a book, I can get it pretty much instantly.  I like Amazon's preview option.   I love that I can carry 2 or 10 books without increasing the weight of my pack. There are also new resources available to e-reader users to help offset some of the things we enjoyed with traditional books (e.g. public libraries lend e-books, Amazon allows you to lend certain e-books to friends and has their own lending library, there are new subscription services).

I do find that the current format of e-books isn't want I would want for a lot of nonfiction works, especially those with tables or where I would want to flip back and forth to reference different parts. While I can make notes in my e-reader, it isn't quite as satisfying as scribbling in a margin, underlining, or physically highlighting text. I'm also leery of a system where licenses are linked to corporate platforms. That seems more acceptable for a subscription than a purchase.

• makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    Both
    I prefer books, but e-books are easier to get a hold of cheaper (if it's not in library) and/or cheaper (if I want to own it)...
    “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain in a comment)
    While I've bought my share of dead tree books over the years, these days I consume audio books almost exclusively. I'm dyslexic, so they've caused me to 'read' a lot more now than I ever have in the past. On the rare occasion that I want a book that isn't available in audio, it go with e-books. I stopped buying any physical media a couple years ago. 
  • lovelikeangelslovelikeangels ValyriaPosts: 276 ✭✭✭
    Both
    ebooks are great for when i'm at work or on the go, etc. my tablet is infinitely lighter and easier to carry than a fat book. 
    but i still like handling real books. 
    If you are plagued by externals, it is not they who trouble you, but the importance you give them.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • ArdentWildfireArdentWildfire United StatesPosts: 21
    Typically, I like the feel and look of a real book, but the convenience of having the ability to read at night and on the go without having to use a fancy book light or carry around a book with me. Also, e-books are cheaper than physical books. I can also fit way more e-books on a device than I typically have room for on bookshelves. 
    LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!!!
  • unwrittenwolfunwrittenwolf Posts: 2
    Both
    Both! I like having a physical book over e-books, but my nook can be convenient at times.   
  • missgracelessmissgraceless Posts: 4
    Both
    I use both, although lately ebooks have been easier because I can read them on my phone during my commute. Ebooks are often cheaper, which is a huge plus for a poor college student like me. The ability to have thousands of books in my pocket is kind of awesome too. And since I mostly read ebooks on my phone or my laptop, which I'll be using anyway, the battery issue doesn't really come into play. That being said, sometimes I just prefer a paper book. I usually read paper books when I can set aside time to read, or before I go to bed so the light from my kindle's screen doesn't keep me awake. Both have their benefits, and honestly I think as long as you're reading it doesn't really matter what medium you use to do it. 
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Reno, NevadaPosts: 357 ✭✭✭
    Both
    I like physical books more, but E-books are good as well.
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

• ToddTodd Posts: 9
    Both
    I get both. Usually I get things like textbooks, guides, or other tombs of knowledge in physical form. I also tend to pick up novels I'm really into in physical format. Anything else goes on the kindle.
  • Follydust321Follydust321 Posts: 30
    Both
    I like paper books better, but also realize the impracticality of books made with paper. 

Most of the time I buy physical books from a local used bookstore, and "new" books in electronic format. I have my more recent favorites in both forms. 
  • WitchmojoWitchmojo South West EnglandPosts: 14
    Paper books only
    I love my books, the smell, the feel, the sound, the simple joy of turning a page to see where I am going next, the cover art that I can trace and touch... paper books all the way for me and I can't see that ever changing. I find reading on a screen very impersonal and I can't get nuance from it as I do on paper. I don't know why, I just can't :)
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    Both
    I prefer paper books because of their ease of use, but I really don't care how people read, just if they read.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • aeryn_of_earthaeryn_of_earth Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Both
    Rats, I should have said other, actually, because I've been gravitating toward audiobooks lately.  I can easily listen to a book for 8 hours at a stretch while my hands do other things or my eyes wander.  I particularly enjoy knitting or crocheting while listening to an audiobook, or if I'm on the bus I can listen while I watch the trees and the people go past.

Often I will use my kindle for particularly large or heavy books that I don't want to carry around with me, but there are very few books that I ONLY own on kindle.  It just somehow doesn't feel genuine if I don't own a paper copy on my shelf.  I know it's irrational because the content is the same, but I enjoy the physical space that my books occupy.  Call me old-fashioned if you must.

Oh, also -- any book with diagrams or illustrations or a map is a MUCH richer experience in paper form.  The kindle screen just is not up to the task of rendering a map correctly.  (At least not mine, which, granted, is pretty old as such things are measured.)
    by aeryn_of_earth
    Little fly,                             Am I not                        For I dance
    Thy summer's play               A fly like thee?              And drink and sing                  --William Blake
    My thoughtless hand            Or art thou not               Til some blind hand                  Song of Experience
    Has brushed away.                A man like me?               Shall brush my wing.                "The Fly"
  • ASillyPonyASillyPony Posts: 9
    Paper books only
    I'm definitely a physical media person, since I like to know that once I've bought something, it's mine no matter what. I'd hate to lose something just because Amazon or whoever decided to stop providing my favourite books! Also I enjoy browsing bricks-and-mortar bookshops, as it's a great way to find things you'd never have heard of otherwise. My last find like this was "Down to the Sea in Ships" by a guy who did a round the world trip on two container ships.
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    Paper books only
    As an aspiring writer, buying an e-book would be like burning a bridge to my future. E-books, it turns out, are really, really bad news for publishers. 

But also, I like bookstores. Some of my best afternoons have been spent browsing the shelves of The Strand or other local places. And it occurs to me that if everyone buys e-books, there won't be much demand for bookstores anymore. And also, I'm not sure how I feel about a world in which Amazon has a monopoly over the publishing market, and self-publishing becomes the rule.

So, yeah. I stay away from e-books.
  • conformconform gay city, usaPosts: 24
    Both
    for me, paper books are more accessible (i don't have the cash to drop on a reader and i go to a college with a well-stocked library), and i read somewhere that a screen slows your reading speed a good 50 - 100 wpm, but all i associate with real-books-exclusivity is the 'but the smell of old books!!!' argument from people who can't stop inhaling their copy of moby PIZZZAA long enough to read it.  so
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    Both
    conform said:
    for me, paper books are more accessible (i don't have the cash to drop on a reader and i go to a college with a well-stocked library), and i read somewhere that a screen slows your reading speed a good 50 - 100 wpm, but all i associate with real-books-exclusivity is the 'but the smell of old books!!!' argument from people who can't stop inhaling their copy of moby PIZZZAA long enough to read it.  so
    Lol, nobody can mention the book of the white whale
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • TaerythTaeryth 404; United Kingdom. Subsidy not found.Posts: 7
    Both
    Both, of course! Hard back isn't going to be affected by an EM burst and technology is if only slightly more impervious to fire/water/ecologically related disasters!
  • StarElements5StarElements5 USAPosts: 11
    I like regular books more. I never get ebooks unless they can't be bought in regular book form. Which means all the ebooks I get are less than 80 pages.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" (Harry Potter)

"May the Force be with you" (Star Wars)

"In that moment, I swear, we were infinite" (Perks of Being a Wallflower)

"On your left" (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)

"You must forge your own path for it to mean anything.” (Heroes of Olympus)

"It's good to dream" (BBC Robin Hood)

"Be the Leaf!" (Legend of Korra)

"I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up"(The Fault in our Stars)

• beschwipst_hasebeschwipst_hase OhioPosts: 106 ✭✭
    Paper books only
    I prefer physical books, but I will read ebooks if necessary.
  • nikitoniumnikitonium Toronto, ONPosts: 5
    Both
    I ended up creating an emotional hierarchy with my books. The more I care about them, I'll get the book (or a deluxe edition -- my Hitchhiker's Guide is leather-bound), but if I just kinda want to read something but I don't care that much I'll get the e-book. Shelf space is invaluable! If I really want to support the author I might get both, especially if the book is too heavy to carry around in my purse.
  • GilmoregrillsGilmoregrills Winchester, UK.Posts: 13
    Both
    I ended up creating an emotional hierarchy with my books. The more I care about them, I'll get the book (or a deluxe edition -- my Hitchhiker's Guide is leather-bound), but if I just kinda want to read something but I don't care that much I'll get the e-book. Shelf space is invaluable! If I really want to support the author I might get both, especially if the book is too heavy to carry around in my purse.
    It seems funny that the special edition of THHGTTG, a book about an electronic thing-that-basically-accesses-Wikipedia is an even more book version of the book. 

If it had been written more recently, the deluxe version should totally have come on a Kindle all made up to look like a copy of the Guide. 
  • nikitoniumnikitonium Toronto, ONPosts: 5
    Both
    It seems funny that the special edition of THHGTTG, a book about an electronic thing-that-basically-accesses-Wikipedia is an even more book version of the book. 

If it had been written more recently, the deluxe version should totally have come on a Kindle all made up to look like a copy of the Guide. 
    I AGREE! It would totally be the exact one that Ford carried around. 
  • drumbrodrumbro Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 330 OKCPosts: 195 ✭✭✭
    Paper books only
    Reading books on a screen just doesn't work for me, it just isn't the same as good ol' paper
    "Rock and roll will never die because Neil Young said so."
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paper books only
    There's just something about the smell of old books and the sound of flipping paper that I will never get from an audio or electronic book. The words themselves are not the entire experience for me.
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • HeidiHeidi Posts: 11
    Both
    Both. Cuz I read too quickly for my money's sake if I have to buy all my books...
    I do believe the fault is on ourselves and not in our stars...
  • mew_mew_ofdoommew_mew_ofdoom Baltimore, MD USAPosts: 154 ✭✭
    Paper books only
    I am a very traditional person. Maybe that's unhealthy. But i want to stick with tradition. And trust me, I try new things all the time. But with books, i cannot read from e readers without screaming inside. I have tried. There is nothing you can find in an e reader that gives the smell of new or old books. And it drives me nuts how you can only flip one page at a time. And can an author sign a tablet? no.  People have been reading books for centuries, and i will continue to do just that. 

Sometimes i think that i need to get over my love of genuine books. And maybe i do. This is a new age, and convenience is stating to become better than quality. I know i will eventually have to give in. But that time is not now. i will read on. traditionally.