Comments

• SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Being all English and stuff, I expect Group D to go like this:

Final Table

Uruguay - 7pts 

England - 5pts 

Italy - 4pts 

Costa Rica - 0pts 

I dislike Hodgson for a number of reasons but his rigid style of football, to be fair to him, makes England difficult to beat. Uruguay have the strikers to beat us but would be really susceptible to the counter attack with their old/slow backline where players like Sturridge/Lallana/Barkley/Sterling should all thrive against. Italy on the other hand have the worst draw and are playing in the north (near the equator) 3 times in 10 days. The draw is terrible for them because if they can't beat England, they would HAVE to beat Costa Rica but you have to assume playing 3 times in 10 days would take a lot out of the players (Pirlo has no chance). Therefore resting players for Costa Rica is a possibility but this has the potential to backfire. Then they play Uruguay last who will be the most acclimatised to the SA weather. Overall the order of games + location means it would take a hell of a lot from the players to get through, probably a bit to much imo considering their squad isn't very strong.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    Are you embarrassed easily? I am. But it's nothing to worry about; it's all part of growing up and being British. 

Just like following Tim Henman-man-man-man and Jenson Button, following the England football team is a sure fire way to be pleasantly disappointed.
    That's why I'm supporting England all the way to the quarter-finals where they'll be knocked out on penalties by some nation who was once vanquished but has practised at playing football and is now better than England.

Anglorum - ambitiosa nugas!

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • NotOnPurposeNotOnPurpose Posts: 44
    @Snowman Don't count Costa Rica out completely. They aren't a polished team full of stars but they are tenacious defenders and excellent at twarting their opponents game plan. I don't expect them to advance out of the group but they will nip at least a draw if not one win in the group.

As an American I don't have high hopes for my team at all in the group of death. But if Ronaldo is not fit for the first couple of games then I think Germany takes 1st with 2nd being a complete toss up between the also-rans. If Ronaldo is fit then I would say Portugal and Germany probably end up even on points for 1st with Portugal pipping it on goal difference.
    There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me." — Anonymous
    I was wondering how long it would take for the first dubious penalty to be awarded in this World Cup and already we have an answer... 71 minutes.

The fact that such an obvious dive could be seen by everyone in the world except the referee is typical of an organisation who answers to no-one and awards World Cups on the basis of bribery to countries with names that sound like musical instruments.

Now tomorrow morning Sydney time, I get to see Australia torn to shreds 4-0 by a Chile side who is no slouch at all. And on Sunday, we'll see a 0-0 draw between England who will fire shots to all parts sundry, hither and yon, whilst Italy parks the bus in front of goal.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

edited June 2014
    That was some really horrible officiating today. Totally ruined what could have been a very exciting 2nd half. I thought the foul call on Julio Cesar that denied the tying goal was almost as soft as the penalty. Hopefully, the officiating will be better for Spain/Netherlands tomorrow. There is a 20ft screen set up right outside my office showing the match so it should be fun as long as the players are allowed to play.
    by NotOnPurpose
    There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me." — Anonymous
  • NathanNathan Posts: 1
    The officiating was quite horrific and Croatia played well despite getting unlucky those few times. However, Neymar's first goal was beautiful. The placement on the ball could not have been better. Pletikosa (Croatia's keeper) was not playing well at all. He should have saved Oscar's final goal in the 91st minute. Near post? That has to be better. And as a player I know how hard it is to save penalties, but he had the ball in his hands! Definitely not the best game of his career. 

It was interesting to see the culture of Brazil and the emotion that was involved in the game.  Ian Darke (commentator) said there was an aura of tension throughout the Brazilian fans and that was released after Neymar's goal, even though they had only tied it. Football is not so much of a game as a religion in Brazil and it should be interesting to see how the Brazilian national team plays in the home country throughout the rest of the of the tournament and how the fans react to their triumphs and defeats. 
    Hopefully, the officiating will be better for Spain/Netherlands tomorrow. There is a 20ft screen set up right outside my office showing the match so it should be fun as long as the players are allowed to play.
    I sincerely hope that Spain/Netherlands runs out 0-0. A point each for them is possibly the best outcome that Australia can hope for? I don't know.
    The Australian press is called Group B "The Group of Death" which is idiotic considering that a proper "Group of Death" is one where at least one big nation is guaranteed to be knocked out. The group-of-deathiest "Group of Death" was Group C of the 1982 World Cup which contained Brazil, Italy and Argentina. The Australian press hasn't seem to have accepted the fact that at Brazil '14, Australia is the most minnowiest of the minnows as it is the lowest ranked team of the whole tournament.

Actually I think that FIFA has already passed around brown envelopes which will ensure a Brazil-Argentina final. 

@Rollo I have to agree with the brown envelope therapy based on today's officiating. Everyone has been calling group G the group of death but really? I don't think the US and Ghana really qualify as legitimate contenders. I guess once you have a group where all of the teams have a history of making it out of the group it gets deemed the group of death. @Nathan‌ I agree that Pletikosa had a stinker but Oscar's goal was actually very well taken. He shifted his rhythm very astutely to toe poke to the near post when it seemed like he was setting up for a strong far post shot. Very cleverly taken IMHO.
  • YeahIdontknowYeahIdontknow The NetherlandsPosts: 694 ✭✭
    @Rollo @NotOnPurpose well, I guess you're out of luck cause the Netherlands freaking WON WITH 5-1 AGAINST SPAIN!!!! HOW'S THAT? I'M VERY EXCITED
    900 years of time and space and I've never met anyone who wasn't important.
    @YeahIdontknow That was glorious for me. I would just as soon see someone who has not yet won the cup win it this year. Since I know it won't be the USA I am pulling for The Netherlands or Argentina.

Rough luck for Austalia though. I suspect that Spain will try to roll them up by 5 or more to get the goal differential back.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    At this point I'm having trouble caring about whether or not the competition is rigged because FRENCH THE LLAMA MY TEAM BEAT SPAIN 5-1!
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
    Rough luck for Austalia though. I suspect that Spain will try to roll them up by 5 or more to get the goal differential back.
    Everyone is far more optimistic than I am it seems:
    As for Australia, I expect that they'll lose 4-0 against Chile, 8-0 against the Netherlands and 8-0 against Spain.
    - Rollo, 13th Jun 2014

I honestly expected Australia to concede 20 goals at this tournament.

Re: England v Italy.
    England will probably win both of their group games and escape the group but I must say that Pirlo's non-touch on that ball was sublime. Italy probably practised that set piece many times over and the fact that England didn't defend against it, shows that yet again, they'll be knocked out far too easily.
    The England football team is a practical demonstration of the First Law of thermodynamics. England's total energy is never created nor destroyed, but is transformed from potential energy into 90 minutes of wasted heat and 48 years of noise and confusion. Seriously Five Live on the BBC, we don't need to hear about the spirit of '66 again. Build a wall and get over it.

Over at the house of Green in Indianapolis, John appears to have had a brain snap when if shifted gears without a clutch, after the USA beat Ghana 2-1 in the dying moments of the game.
    This is the USA without Landon Donovan; which proves that if you put a German in charge of something, they uphold their stereotype with ruthless efficiency and because football is a results driven endeavour, then that's what they're driven to do.

Elsewhere, as a Liverpool fan, I was heartened to see ex-Manchester United *spit* player, Christiano "Fancy-Pants-Oh-My-Face-My-Beautiful-Face-Poo-Boots" Ronaldo, go down in a hapless Portugal side 4-0 to Germany, who looked like Bayern in their execution.

Well Germany better look like Bayern with over half the starting team being Bayern players. :) As thrilled as I am that we beat Ghana today, I am overjoyed for John Brooks. He came in at a difficult time and was the man of the match. What an amazing experience for him.
    ARGH!

NED 3 - AUS 2; With that, Australia can not escape the group stage. 

Australia at this World Cup was ambitious but rubbish.
    So they chose freedom. Running around, trying everything new. But nothing impressed me at all. I never expected them to. Don't cry for us Argentina, the truth is we never liked you. All through our wild days, our mad existence, we kept on losing, we lost existence. 

2-1 up, we mucked it up,
    That's the way, we lost the cup. 
    (and never had any real chance in the first place)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Everyone seems to know the score, we've seen it all before, 
    We just know, we're so sure...
    That England's going to throw it away, going to blow it away...

2-1 to Uruguay. 

On the upside, Liverpool had 8 players in that match all up. 

How can England have 3 of the top 5 Prem scorers with. Combined 58 goals this season on their side and manage only one goal a game? Well football362.com's betting handicapper had his mortgage on England not making it out of the group. So at least he will be happy.
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    2-0 for the netherlands!
    time to party!

As for Australia, I expect that they'll lose 4-0 against Chile, 8-0 against the Netherlands and 8-0 against Spain.
    - Rollo, 13th Jun 2014

Australia conceded 11 less goals than I expected and scored 3 more than I expected. They still lost all 3 matches and were rubbish and that was what I expected.

Now onto Costa Rica v England where I think that Gerrard will play his last ever match for the national side, where Frank Lampard will not be used at all and where Wayne Rooney will score twice in a 2-2  draw.

The Japan v Colombia game was on SBS Radio 3 here, with a re-transmission of NHK's feed in Japanese; it was really strange to hear the commentary get more and more aggravated and turn on the Blue Samurai. The words "baka" and "aho" and "manuke" were being dropped continuously. So much for the impression of Japanese politeness.

• SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Snowman said:
    Being all English and stuff, I expect Group D to go like this:

Final Table

Uruguay - 7pts 

England - 5pts 

Italy - 4pts 

Costa Rica - 0pts 

I must have been drunk!
    I am picking a 0-0 draw between Germany and the USA. If they draw, they'll both end up on 5 points which is more than either Portugal or Ghana could get. If there was an excuse to rig a scoreless match, this is it. It could even be done in the tunnel.

There is an upside to the Suarez biting incident.

Assuming that he does get banned from international duties for an extended period of time, he then can not be called up for Uruguay. This means that he can concentrate on his job at being Liverpool No.7 
    Hopefully other clubs will view him as a liability; that also means that his goal scoring potential remains on Merseyside.

I'm not condoning his biting by the way. He's still a disgrace to the Liverpool 7 kit, it's just that he's now a disgrace to the Uruguay 9 kit too... and very good at scoring goals.

Rollo said:
    I am picking a 0-0 draw between Germany and the USA. If they draw, they'll both end up on 5 points which is more than either Portugal or Ghana could get. If there was an excuse to rig a scoreless match, this is it. It could even be done in the tunnel.

Keep in mind the the US is the team that scored an injury time goal in the last game of qualifying, in a game we did not need to win since we were already qualified and guaranteed to top the group, that let our most hated rivals a chance to go into a playoff to make it into the cup. If we are willing to fight that hard to benefit a team we hate there is no way we are going to let off the gas against Germany. I do see the strong possibility of a tie but I am guessing more like a 1-1 or 2-2.
    Rollo said:
    There is an upside to the Suarez biting incident.

Assuming that he does get banned from international duties for an extended period of time, he then can not be called up for Uruguay. This means that he can concentrate on his job at being Liverpool No.7 
    Hopefully other clubs will view him as a liability; that also means that his goal scoring potential remains on Merseyside.

I'm not condoning his biting by the way. He's still a disgrace to the Liverpool 7 kit, it's just that he's now a disgrace to the Uruguay 9 kit too... and very good at scoring goals.

I was wondering if the ban would be for international duty only or for all competitions. It must be the former because rumors are swirling the Barça want him. Not that I see him fitting into their style of play as well as someone like Müller, but Barça needs goals and Suarez is probably the only reliable scorer they can get their hands on.
    and Suarez is probably the only reliable scorer they can get their hands on.
    That assumes that Liverpool would sell.
    Liverpool were less than a win away from a league title at the end of last season. Would they really be happy to sell the league's top goal scorer? 

Rollo said:
    and Suarez is probably the only reliable scorer they can get their hands on.
    That assumes that Liverpool would sell.
    Liverpool were less than a win away from a league title at the end of last season. Would they really be happy to sell the league's top goal scorer? 

The consensus of the British press is that Liverpool would be happy to see the backside of him before he pulls this kind of stunt in th BLP again and has another long layoff. I'm sure they feel they have the money and prestige to replace Suarez's goals with another player or two.
    The consensus of the British press is that Liverpool would be happy to see the backside of him before he pulls this kind of stunt in th BLP again and has another long layoff. I'm sure they feel they have the money and prestige to replace Suarez's goals with another player or two.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-prepared-keep-luis-7334362
    Liverpool are seeking legal advice after being stunned by the commission’s verdict and they could even take action against FIFA. Despite the ban, which also bars Suarez from all stadia and even training with his club, the prolific frontman could still be transferred this summer – but the early indications are that Liverpool aren’t ready to wash their hands of him.
    Owners Fenway Sports Group stood by Suarez when he bit Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013 and vowed to help him conquer his demons. They are likely to do so again.
    Suarez’s future was already the subject of intense speculation with both Barcelona and Real Madrid keen to secure his services.
    However, Liverpool had made it clear they had no interest in selling and that Suarez would only move on if someone met the release clause in his contract – thought to be around £80million.
    - Liverpool Echo, 26th Jun 2014

"Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."
    - Liverpool FC Official Statement, 26th Jun 2014

I'm very wary of the "consensus of the British Press". The shadows of one particular incident still loom long in the city which sees itself almost as its own republic. I know that this sounds weird, but if you want the finger on the closest pulse, either the Echo or the Manchester Evening News are probably it. 
    It appears that the club is standing by him at the moment.

Amazing. I am with those who think it is only a matter of time before he loses his rag bad enough to get a 12 month ban or more. If I were the chairman at Liverpool I would be looking for was to get rid of him ASAP. Some things are more important than winning football games. On a happier note, the US escaped the "Group of Death" and will now face an underperforming Belgium side. I feel optimistic we can make it to the quarters this time around.
    Oh oh oh... Der Meinschaft, what are you doing?

Even with a lineup in which large sections play for Bayern, how could you not deal with Algerien so clinically. You looked ponderous and lumbering at times and they held you to 0-0 at full time. Even after going 1-0 up, you dropped your heads and they nicked one back.
    It was useful that you found a winner but there are serious questions over your defence; only Neuer kept the ship upright.

France A will prove harder than France B did (19 of 23 Algerians were born in France); I don't know if Der Meinschaft will be Der Weltmeister.