Brazil World Cup 2014

2»

Comments

• NotOnPurposeNotOnPurpose Posts: 44
    edited July 2014
    All of the round of 16 games have been very cagey so far. I think teams are really afraid of slipping up at this stage. I expect we will see some better games in the quarters. Plus Germany should have no problem with France as long as Lloris is in goal. I am a Tottenham supporter and I have seen way too often how easily he is beaten by quality strikers. Müeller must be licking his chops.  Now bring on Belgium. I am feeling like the US has a good chance in this game. For all their talent Belgium has looked pretty tame so far.
    by NotOnPurpose
    There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me." — Anonymous
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    Wow... just wow.

Belgium at this tournament haven't scored in any first half and this was no exception. This match was basically a war of attrition; with two sides squaring off eyeball to eyeball until either side blinked; except that tiredness took over.

Belgium had 55 attempts at goal. 55?! What?!
    Forget Paul the Octopus from 2010, Tim Howard is the octopus of this tournament. Surely he's worth a Golden Ball or Golden Glove. That sort of performance from him borders on insanity.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    After that display, Everton should be well please that he just signed a five year extension with them. Otherwise, I think he would have a few suitors from the Champions League teams. The most frustrating thing about the whole tournament for me was that Michael Bradley just didn't show up and with Oandon Donovan at home, we had no one to take his spot. With better possession and distribution frothed offensive midfield we could have won that game (and possibly the Germany game as well). Hopefully Klinsman learned his lesson and will have depth at all positions from here on out.
    There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say "watch me." — Anonymous
    I very much feel that as the tournament has raged on and the stakes have grown ever higher, the amount of anti-football on display has increased. No-one in the knockout rounds have scored more than a brace. Both Germany and Argentina successfully parked the bus after they'd bagged their one goal in the quarters and even the Netherlands were happy with a scoreless draw to take them to penalties. Now that Brazil has lost Neymar, one of their attacking options is gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more games with two goals in them in this tournament. The so-called free flowing samba atmosphere has evaporated in the heat.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I don't know if it's the heat, the travel, or the fear of losing that has tightened the games up so much. But the excitement has definitely gone out since the knockout rounds have started. We can only hope the remaining teams really go for it now that they are at the end.
    Can anyone say Mineirãnaço?

Seriously, what the heck was that? 

If Scolari hasn't already handed in his resignation as Brazil manager by the time that I've read this, he probably will by the end of the day. I suspect that his last match in charge, will probably also be the last time that many of these Brazilians will ever make the Seleção. It is fitting to use the other nickname for the Brazil national football team, the "Canarinho" or Little Canary, because like a canary in a coal mine, it probably died and I'm sure that just like when Germany lost the 2002 World Cup Final against Brazil, they too will now hold a national enquiry into the whole structure of football.

Brazil 1 - Germany 7.

Quite literally "inconceivable". I keep using that word. I think it means what you think it means... anyone who could conceive of that before the match started was probably wearing a white coat with buckles, so that they could hug themselves all day long.

So much for the tightly played, low scoring matches of the last two rounds. We can only hope tomorrow's game is as exciting. I can only imagine PSG wants back that great wedge of Euros they just paid Chelsea for David Luis.
    Sheffield Wednesday beat Blackpool on penalties!
    No wait...
    Headlines tomorrow...
    Maxi Rodriguez Smashes Jar Of Marmalade. 

I've seen some exciting 0-0 draws over the years and although this match was technically brilliant, neither side showed a lot of bravery. Argentina might have had five shots on target in two hours but I honestly can not even recall a single Dutch shot on target at all. The word "dour" springs to mind here.

If Germany pull out even a single trick from their overflowing bag in the final, then Argentina stand little chance. Today they showed that they were largely without imagination.

If Argentina don't get DiMaria back for the final, then they won't see enough of the ball to cause Germany much trouble. I doubt it will be a route like the semi, but I could see a 3-0 Germany win.
    When an irresistible force meets an immovable object, the immovable object doesn't move but crumbles.
    The titans of Germany took on the giants of Argentina; making them both appear normal sized.

I thought that this final was basically two sides which cancelled each other out; until one finally blinked. Germany deserved to win through sheer cussedness I think.

Agreed, and they were definitely overdue given how many times they have come in second at major tournaments in the last 24 years. The only dissapointment for me is giving Messi the Golden Ball. Clearly Neymar was more effective and important to his team. Hell I would have put James over Messi as well.
    edited July 2014
    Hell I would have put James over Messi as well.
    David James? :D
    by Rollo

@Rollo‌ TFF. I was thinking of James Rodriguez. Winning the Golden Boot and scoring in every game you played is pretty damn impressive if you ask me.