MLB Baseball!

Any baseball fans out there? What teams are you a fan of/how long have you been one for?

My family's been Giants fans for generations, and after a long hiatus (during which the whole family moved out to the west coast) we've been rewarded with two amazing seasons just three years apart. Any other Giants fans out there?

Comments

• RealReal You know that's right! Huntsville, ALPosts: 413 ✭✭✭
    Yankees fans here, through and through, for several generations. My mom's obsessed and watches every game every season. 2009 was an awesome year for us! This year, the season was so great, but the playoffs... awful. Just... awful. I suppose when the expectation is to WIN, it's too easy to be disappointed. My mom identifies a lot with George Steinbrenner: the New York Yankees should be 162-0 every year and win every postseason game decisively, with anything less being disappointing (exaggeration, hahaha).
  • jneels25jneels25 Posts: 12
    Reds fan here! The past couple of seasons have been fun to follow even with the disappointing postseasons.
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    Red Sox all the way! Born and raised in MA, my family's been fans for generations too! My now 87 year old grandpa was 79 in 2004 when he got to see the Sox win their first World Series in his lifetime! 
    We've had a rough run as of late, but I'm optimistic.

For anyone who's interested, I just started Doris Kearns Goodwin's memoir "Wait Til Next Year" which is about her life growing up in New York as a baseball fan in the 1950s. It's really really good so far!
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    @Real
    I hope we can try to be nice to each other (haha). I kind of still haven't gotten over 2003, though.

• RealReal You know that's right! Huntsville, ALPosts: 413 ✭✭✭
    @Catherine I'm sure we'll be fine! =) That's good for your grandpa, but 2004 was awful in my household, hahaha. But, hey, imagine those Cubs fans!
  • 2355323553 Posts: 23
    I'm a huge Nationals fan. I was at game 4 when Werth hit the walkoff homerun, and it was amazing.
  • I'm a Twins fan. They've been...... well, BAD this year, but you have to stay loyal to your team, you know? I won a trip to the MLB All Star Game this year and got to fly out to Kansas City!
    I also love the D-Backs. :)
  • YossarianYossarian Posts: 44
    Diehard Mets fan, checking in. The best news we've had all year is that our owners are close to bankruptcy.

...which is still more good news than I've got as a Jets fan.
  • AislinnAislinn Posts: 42
    Another Red Sox fan here! I've been a diehard fan for about 10 years, since I was in middle school or so, mostly because I didn't care for any sports before then. I got my love of the Red Sox, and baseball in general, from my grandfather, so even before I was a big fan, I grew up hearing about it a lot.

I'm looking forward to hot stove season and hoping that the Sox can fix some of the problems they've been having, both on and off the field, over the last 14 months or so!
  • CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Padres!
    Mostly because they're my home team
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
  • phoenix88phoenix88 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 146 ✭✭
    Grew up an Orioles fan as they were the closest pro team to me.  Then the Expos moved to DC in 2005 and i've been a Nationals fan ever since as that marked the first time in my life my hometown had a pro team.  

This offseason has already been a bit nuts wiht the blockbuster between the Marlins and Jays. 
    Yay nerdfighters! 

*insert witty quote here*
  • applextreeapplextree Posts: 11
    Rangers fan for about four years, very hardcore this passed season. I think I missed 12 games total. Grew up a Phillies fan & I still love 'em. 

Who did you guys want to win MVP, Rookie of the Year?
    October 19th in our hearts. 
  • MVP: POSEY! As a giants fan theres no way I couldn't have wanted him and I really do feel like he deserved it.
    I didn't care about rookie of the year haha.
    Just wanted to share my excitement over getting my opening day tickets earlier today! Is it baseball season yet?

• ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LET'S GO RANGERS!! Texas Ranger fan born and bred. When I was a kid it was my dream to play second base or catcher for them. I broke tradition with my family though. Everyone else roots for Colorado Rockies or the Washington Nationals. 
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
    @Butters I'm a Red Sox fan, but the Rangers have really grown on me over the last few seasons, so much so that I considered buying one of those claw/antler shirts at one point. They'd probably be my second team if I had to pick one, but I can't really follow any other team *that* closely. I just love the chemistry that they've had as a team. As a baseball fan, they're a lot of fun to watch.
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have some awesome chemistry and seem to have a lot of fun playing together. I love Kinsler and Andrus' bromance they have up the middle. 
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • phoenix88phoenix88 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 146 ✭✭
    Anyone in this thread have an MLB.TV subscription they'd be willing to share?
    Yay nerdfighters! 

*insert witty quote here*
  • hamsoxfartinhamsoxfartin Posts: 4

Though it pains most of my moral center, the Yankees have my heart.  Growing up less than an hour away, and parents with season tickets (before I showed up, apparently kids do a number on disposable income) made it less than a choice.  And I mean, the Mets feel like some kind of mismanaged group psychology experiment.  Though, this year, it would appear that the NYY have amassed a collection of the brittleist ballplayers the world has ever seen. 

In the AL, I like the rangers, loved Hamilton a ton, and Derek Holland seems like some kind of post-pubescent boy meets world character who only blows into frame after a big guitar sting.  In the NL, I guess it's probably the cubs (have to get my penance in somewhere) and then the giants (love watching that pitching staff).

• MattTheRickerMattTheRicker Posts: 27
    I am a life-long, 3rd generation Detroit Tigers fan. Which after the events of this last fall would make the Giants my not favorite team (... sorry :( )

But I think that Detroit has a good chance to at least take the AL pennant again this year. Us Michiganders could certainly use a pick-me-up these days.
  • Coldplayer42Coldplayer42 Posts: 81
    I am an overzealous Astros fan, where each win this year will feel like they won the World Series.
    "All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holder Caufield, The Catcher in the Rye
  • kevinjohnshazzykevinjohnshazzy SoCal / TorontoPosts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Dodger fan! well, dodger fan adjacent since i'm not a big baseball guy but my best friend and her entire family loves the Dodgers so they take me to games and recently i've been finding them super fun. we drove over to arizona for a few spring training games and i had a blast! my friend is actually taking me to a game tomorrow night! so excited!
    check out my Youtube channel here! exciting things are happening!
    Duke of the Last Ones
    <3
  • themediummacthemediummac NorCalPosts: 27
    I've loved the SF Giants since longer than I can remember. I actually recently found the actual SF Giants tumblr fandom.
    I'm mad at everyone to be frank.
  • mousycherisemousycherise MainePosts: 10
    I'm such a HUGE Red Sox fan! Is anyone watching the World Series right now?
  • emneedscoffeeemneedscoffee Posts: 12
    I got Redbird fever! Cardinal fan diehard.