Rare Genes

Thinking about my genetic makeup and how weird it is. Red hair, left handed, red-green colorblind (which is more rare in biosex females), I have veso-vegal sycope. Any other nerdfighters have rare/odd genetic combos?

Comments

• KurokamiKurokami Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Red hair, blue eyes, Dyslexia, and a higher than average chance of having or developing Lupis and/or RA.
    Doctors and Ponies and Zelda, oh...shiny!
  • WilskaWilska Adelaide, AustraliaPosts: 43 ✭✭
    My hair and eyes are boring and brown, haha, but I did develop an autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis through a gene
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm a sickle-cell carrier which is quite unusual and although my hair is only dark brown it is extremley curly and I practically have an afro.

• alicebirdyalicebirdy ChicagoPosts: 3
    edited July 2014
    I can roll around in poison ivy with no ill-effects... maybe that's not quite rare enough, though. Apparently my hazel eyes are even less common!
    by alicebirdy
  • KurokamiKurokami Posts: 110 ✭✭

I can roll around in poison ivy with no ill-effects... maybe that's not quite rare enough, though. Apparently my hazel eyes are even less common!
    Hazel eyes are more uncommon...I can roll around in poison ivy as well! But I'd get a rash from rolling around in grass because of how bad my allergies are...in fact out of over 100 plants I was tested for allergies to I was only negative for...3 if I recall...
    Doctors and Ponies and Zelda, oh...shiny!
  • 2spleenman1232spleenman123 Upstate New York but not that upstate (you know what I am talking about)Posts: 132 ✭✭
    This isn't hereditary but my genes failed so i have a fully functional second spleen. (It is about the size of a grape)  
  • nickireedsnickireeds Middle of NOWHERE, USAPosts: 23
    I have a genetic condition (Osteogenesis Imperfecta) that affects about 5 out of every 100,000 people worldwide, and causes brittle bones, weak connective tissue (causing easily injured joints), heart valve defects, lung issues, and early hearing/ sight loss, and usually short stature (under 5') and somehow I ended up being 5'7. I have a tally of 40 broken major bones (I stopped counting vertebrae, toes, fingers and ribs years ago). What's really different about OI is that effects nearly every race and biological males/females equally (most genetic conditions don't).
  • sterlingsterling FinlandPosts: 172 ✭✭✭
    I don't consider this to be too odd but I suppose it is if you look at the statistics on it and all but: left-handed, red-green color blind lady with a mallen streak. Bit of early graying as well.

• groovymutantgroovymutant Posts: 6
    I have synesthesia, central heterochromia, blue-grey-green eyes, and a guarantee that an autoimmune disease will manifest within 1-20 years.
  • TheStigTheStig Loses Sword Fights to Cardboard Boxes Long IslandPosts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm of German descent. Blonde hair and blue (grey) eyes. I guess I'd be considered perfect to Hitler? But I've had asthma my whole life and I also had an entire extra tooth on my bottom jaw no one caught until I was 15.
    "Well, scientifically speaking, traditions are an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchez
  • TheBritta1000TheBritta1000 AustraliaPosts: 82 ✭✭

I have brown hair and blue-green/grey eyes... Not really rare...

I have autism, anxiety, dyslexia and irlen syndrome... all hereditiory things...

I also get dibilitating migraines... so I'm told... a rare form of migraines... It's sort of like absent seizures but I don't have epilepsy, so yeah...

My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations - 'cause the universe is weird.

John and Hank are awesome like a TARDIS. :)

• McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Blond hair green eyes in a dark hair, dark eyed family.  No idea if I have anything else that makes me unique genetically.
  • ConstellationsConstellations South CarolinaPosts: 1,709 ✭✭✭
    I hate to upvote things that make life difficult and painful for people, so please don't think I'm being cruel about it -- this is just a really interesting topic! I'll be studying pre-med shortly, hopefully to research diseases, genetic or otherwise.

More normal stuff first: I guess I didn't know this was unusual until I read above, but I have hazel eyes. I have curly hair. I come from tall roots, so I'm 6'1", quite a bit above average height... I have terrible eyesight (everyone in my family wears glasses, but I turned out with the worst, surprisingly) and most likely have inherited an eye problem called Fuch's dystrophy from my father. I have a lowered immunity because of some fun lack of a type of white blood cells, plus asthma. We're also strongly suspecting PCOS, but we haven't figured that one out yet. Nothing particularly interesting, but all genetically related! xD
    "You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect."
    "I was thinking about the word 'handle,' and all the unholdable things that get handled."
  • nickireedsnickireeds Middle of NOWHERE, USAPosts: 23
    @Constellations,  I figured it was something like that, no worries, and although it's caused it's struggles, I wouldn't be who I am today without it :) Since I was diagnosed (around 4), my doctor has brought pre-meds around to "diagnose me", since OI is part of the mandatory curriculum now, to see if they were paying attention in class (and since as a child, it was very apparent, with the whites of my eyes tinted blue and being in a cast most of the time). He brought so many around, it rubbed off and I'm starting pre-med this fall too! *High five through the internet*

Not trying to be rude, that is a very different combination, but we're all different and that makes us all special, right? :)
  • HeidiHeidi Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    I'm a real mutant^^ I had 10 canines; 4 calf teeth, like everybody, and 6 adult canines. And I have no wisdom teeth. But the truth is that I don't know the name of this "mutation". Don't even know if there is a name. I also happen to have genetic ostheocondrism. Rare for a girl, I've been said. For the rest of my body... Curly blond hair, blue-grey eyes, asthma, horrible eyesight like my whole family (quite commun, all this). If only I could have had Mystic powers ;)
    by Heidi
    I do believe the fault is on ourselves and not in our stars...
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I'm female and colorblind, but my dad isn't colorblind, so that's pretty much a 100% guarantee that I'm a mutant.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • inthislifeinthislife Posts: 35
    An interesting article we discussed during GSA that I thought was relevant to this discussion about genetics (or more specifically epigenetics...)
  • ConstellationsConstellations South CarolinaPosts: 1,709 ✭✭✭
    Two fun additions to make to this list... Polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism. Lovely.
    "You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect."
    "I was thinking about the word 'handle,' and all the unholdable things that get handled."
  • WebsterWebster Posts: 22
    Synesthesia, red hair, and blue eyes. Also, most of the fingers on my left hand are noticeably longer than those on my right hand. I AM DEFORMED.
  • cookiefiendcookiefiend Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    My brother has one of the rarest types of EDS. It's called kyphoscoliosis and only like 10 people in the US currently have it...
    In masks outrageous and austere the years go by in single file; but none has merited my fear, and none has quite escaped my smile.
  • MissGingerSnapMissGingerSnap Posts: 1
    Ginger hair, blue eyes, left-handed, ADHD, synesthesia, asthma, and dyslexia. Goooooo figure:)
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭
    Blue eyes aren't really rare, it's one of the most common eye colors. Though it can be considered rare if you have blue eyes in combination with certain hair colors. Basically blond hair with blue eyes is the most common. Red hair is more common with green eyes. And brown eyes is more common with black hair. Any color by itself it's really a rare trait but if you don't have one of those three combinations of hair and eyes it can be rare.

Actually the most common rare eye trait, just the eyes not in combination with anything else is heterochromia. That's the condition in which one eye is a different color from the other eye. It's common in cats but is pretty rare in humans. Though I have met one girl who had that, and that's actually how I learned that such a thing was even possible. I also learned that I am highly attracted to weird unusual rare traits like that... too bad the age difference between us cancels out the pretty weird eyes. And it's so rare I'll probably never meet a second person with the same condition who's actually in my age range.

Some people like my ex and step son who inherited this trait from her also have eyes that can change color. This is different from heterochromia because both eyes still match each other but might not always be the same color every time you look at them. Most people's eyes are the same color all the time. However their eyes seem to change depending on the lighting. Some times they look blue, some times they look green. When we were still dating I noticed this while we were out having lunch and I saw her eyes change colors as the clouds outside moved passed the sun. Then I looked at her son and saw his eyes were doing the same thing. It's weird but their eyes are constantly changing from green to blue and back again. Most people never even notice that there's anything weird about their eyes but you spend a long time looking directly into a person's eyes and you tend to notice things that other people won't.

Anyway, I have blue eyes with black hair. Which that combination isn't really common, I've been told a lot in my life that I should either have brown eyes or blond hair because these colors don't normally go together.

I'm color blind, but I'm a dude so that's pretty common for me. That might sound odd coming from someone who was just talking about seeing color differences in eyes but I don't really have any issue with blue/green. Actually blue looks pink to me and green and brown eyes I actually have problems with. I was looking up pictures of celebrities with heterochromia and one came up with green and brown eyes except I couldn't see that they were different. According to multiple web sources they are green and brown but she actually just looks normal to me.

I was also born with a rare condition that I can't remember the name of where I don't have any pigment in my skin at all. The doctors said with exposure to sunlight my skin would eventually darken as I got older but as a baby I wasn't white I was pale. The amount of pigment is what determines skin color. The more you have the darker your skin is. I had NONE. Most "white" people aren't truly white, they're more of like a light peach color, I was literally white as snow. I look more normal now but it's all just sun damage because when you don't have any pigment you burn easy. I can not tan. I only come in two colors, white and OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW.

I don't think handedness is determined by genetics cause you can be trained to write with either hand. I actually use to be able to use both hands till the fourth grade. Then my teacher demanded everyone use their right. Because I had stopped using my left hand I can't do it anymore. It use to come naturally to me but now it feels awkward and my writing isn't legible with that hand. On the plus side, before I was forced to always use my right hand I also had trouble telling the difference between right and left. I'd never even know if I was using the wrong hand until someone pointed it out. It wasn't till after I started exclusively using my right hand to write that I was able to make that right/write connection.

It kind helps for theater to know the difference between right and left cause I wouldn't know what direction I'm suppose to go if I hadn't learned that. Sure I'd still be able to write with both hands but considering my career goals it's kind of more important that I be able to exit stage right when I'm told to exit stage right and not go off stage left because I don't know where right is. Being able to write with both hands is at best a cool party trick. I don't think anyone can make a career out of that. So for me at least I'm glad that teacher said we could only write right handed. It helped me remember where right is.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
    edited August 20
    I think it's not really rare that someone's eye colour seems to change, depending in the light. It's the case for me, my sister, my mother, my father (though I think his change a bit less) and I've seen it several times in other people that are not related to me. I think the eyes of most people whose eye colour is some mixture of blue and green look sometimes more blue and sometimes more green.
    I also know someone with a blue and a green eye
    by AnFa
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭
    AnFa said:

I think it's not really rare that someone's eye colour seems to change, depending in the light. It's the case for me, my sister, my mother, my father (though I think his change a bit less) and I've seen it several times in other people that are not related to me. I think the eyes of most people whose eye colour is some mixture of blue and green look sometimes more blue and sometimes more green.

I also know someone with a blue and a green eye

It is rare though. My ex, when she was filling out paper work for her ID card, she tried to say blue/green and they told her to pick one. If it was really super common I think they would have an option for it on things like that but those forums only list the most common colors. If you're a bit unusual then it's kinda hard to answer the questions when you don't quite fit into any of their little boxes.

For Race I usually just put other or decline to answer cause the easy answer, white/Caucasian, isn't exactly an accurate description. That does make up the majority of my DNA but I do have some Native American as well, I don't look it due to the skin condition and because I think it's less than 8% but I should still be a lot darker than I am. Plus those forums usually list a lot of races that I think still look white... though that might be because I'm color blind... like Mexicans are supposedly brown but they don't look any different from white people to me... maybe it's also because of where I live people usually have tans especially in the summer so that makes them look darker. I'm not sure but I can't tell the difference between white and Mexican just by looking at someone. Anyway, I'm a mix of so many different races that I've never felt right picking any one option and I always forget everything I am. So I just prefer Other or decline to answer cause it's just too complicated a question for me to answer.

There should be an option like that for eye color too. Even if it's rare, the few who have eyes like that still need to select something.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
    edited August 26
    My ID says that I have green eyes. A few years ago the office worker responsible for that said that I should just choose one colour, as long as it is not completely off, nobody would care. Until now, that has been true.
    by AnFa