Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham

KiarKiar ElsewherePosts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
Because let's be honest, if you're watching one, you're probably watching them all. With season 3 of Arrow and season 1 of Flash and Gotham starting up, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where people can discuss our favorite live action DC TV shows. 

This thread will be for general episode discussion and speculation, and so it will, of course, contain spoilers. Let me say that again.

THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS TO ALL EPISODES OF EACH SERIES THAT HAVE BEEN AIRED

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Alright, kids, let's kick things off. 
"A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
My writing project

Comments

• zonzonnzonzonn MarylandPosts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭
    Can we discuss Felicity's amazingness? And how perfect Penguin is?
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god Felicity is my favorite. I love that she's incredibly nerdy and awkward, but also girly and a potential love-interest. It's not a combination you usually get. It's rare that you get a girl that's smart and awkward but also feminine. She's reminiscent of Kaylee from Firefly, in my opinion. 

And yes Penguin is so perfect for his role. Honestly, I think he's the best actor on the show so far. I've never liked the Penguin as a villain before until now. 

And to add on, I am really happy with Flash. I think the graphics are great, and it's fun to have a nerdy scientist as a main-character instead of as a sidekick, for once. 
    My writing project
    All of these things are things I agree with. Felicity is so great. I love the way that they show her. Like you said, the combination of feminine and nerdy is so nice and refreshing. Though I'm a little worried what will happen if they actually make her a love interest.=/ there's a lot of potential to do it poorly. (If they go the way that Kaylee was in Out of Gas where her sexual it and such was actually normal, I'll be happy, but if th ey make her dependant on the relationship, I'm going to be sad )

Yes. Penguin was always kinda silly and not really interesting to me before, but in this I really like him. Perfect amounts of psychotic.

And Flash!! It's really good. All of the concepts they've introduced so far. The nerdy hero is so fun. ^.^ i also like him being like "yea. Okay, well I wanna be with you, but it's cook that you're happy." And not claiming 'friendzone?!' Or whatever.
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
    Have you watched the first episode of S3 Arrow? I have things about that episode I need to discuss!

And I loved the pilot of Flash - right up until the end. I'll go ahead and throw this in a spoiler tag, anyway.
    I was really disappointed that the guy in the wheelchair, Harrison Wells, stood up and revealed not only was he faking the injury, but he's apparently going to be a villain. (Or, at the very least, some sort of anti-villain.) I hate that TV never actually lets people in wheelchairs just be good guys. Like, why can't they just be a person in a wheel chair? Why do they have to be evil, or faking it, or have some sort of super duper secret? That bugged me a little. I really just wanted him to be a mentor to the Flash. That would have been poetically fitting.
    Also when Barry asked if he could keep the sweatshirt, I laughed. That sounds exactly like something I would ask in his situation. "Ooooh I'm in this cool science facility after waking up from a coma. I wonder if they'll let me keep the shirt?"
    My writing project
    edited October 2014
    Ahhh the second episode of Arrow S3. Can I just say

Motorcycle archer jousting? Yes Please.
    also
    Triple-archer fight was badass!!!

And I still need to talk about that first episode. 

by Kiar
    My writing project
    edited October 2014
    I haven't seen the second episode yet! I'll probably watch it late tonight.

But the first episode! Are we talking about Felicity being awesome?

Also, weird. I didn't get the notification I had been tagged.
    by zonzonn
    @Zonzonn I think it's because I edited the tag in after I'd already posted. 

Both Felicity being awesome and
    SARA FREAKING GETTING SHOT FULL OF ARROWS AND DYING, YO!
    My writing project
    I am officially caught up on Arrow.

oh my god! Sara's death was insane! There are so many possibilities with who did it. I don't even know what to think. Part of me wants to blame Merlin. What I'm not happy about is the way they're taking her death and using it as the event that turns Oliver all broody and annoying. If that makes sense? Like his whole "if I grieved, no one else could" thing bothered me. Thought it kind of makes sense.

Also, Felicity's whole thing at the end of episode two worries me.
    Agreed! Broody Oliver is getting old. Especially because Green Arrow is supposed to be kind of happy and silly, and Speedy/Red Arrow is supposed to be the more serious of the pair. But I get that that might not be as realistic to pull off in a TV show...

Felicity intrigues me. I totally get that she might need a bit of a breather from everything, and I can see how being recognized for her obvious abilities would be appealing (especially after working as a Geek Squad employee, and knowing all of the meaningful vigilante stuff she's done has gone without recognition.) 
    My hope is just that this doesn't turn into a whole "NOPE! Felicity is WRONG to want something better for herself, and this guy is actually a VILLAIN, which will make her go running back to Oliver." 
    Because that's where I feel this is going. And I really don't want it to. 
    My writing project
    Yea, I feel like they're going to make Oliver super broody. I mean, at this point I can understand it a little, but I hope it's not a constant for the whole season. Maybe he lightens up a little? (I don't really see it happening, though)

That's exactly what I'm worried about. That, and that she's going to stop working with Oliver with the vigilante stuff. I think it's great that they're showing Felicity as a strong character that isn't afraid to tell Oliver he's being stupid and to take the job that celebrates how awesome she is. They just seem to be setting this guy up as a villain. Which would be annoying.
    edited October 2014
    Exactly! It's Blood and Summer Glau's character all over again. Introduce likable characters that could actually just be in intriguing character and... nope, he has to be a villain. I will be really disappointed if they make this guy a villain as well. It would be so much more interesting to just have a competent business competitor that is only that. (And maybe, eventually, even kind of friends? That would be a refreshing twist.) 

Also, I like Cisco's t-shirt in the Flash. They amuse me. 
    by Kiar
    My writing project
  • TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    I just started episode 4 of Gotham, it's fantastic XD I love Penguin.
    I am so behind on gotham.

I agree completely about this guy and what I want him to be.
    He's just so great XD Just the right amount of insane.

Also, I like how he held some guy hostage and the guy's mom didn't believe him.
    AHHH YESSS Felicity just appeared on The Flash! God, I love Felicity. 
    My writing project
    I'll watch Flash once I'm done Arrow season 2
    Good call
    My writing project
    edited October 2014
    Ahhhhhhhh snap Arrow S3E4

I'm freaking loving all of these archer and ninja fights this season. And...

OMG that moment at the end with Detective Lance calling his daughter on the phone. Choo chooo! All aboard the feels train! T_T    Also YAY we finally get to see Ra's Al Ghul! But... I thought he'd be asian?
    by Kiar
    My writing project
  • TheStigTheStig Loses Sword Fights to Cardboard Boxes Long IslandPosts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got caught up on Gotham. Oh man is Penguin just a sly motherf*cker.
    "Well, scientifically speaking, traditions are an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchez
    ARROW THO! I finally caught up today.
    I'm so happy that we get to see Ra's, but yea... I do feel like he should be Asian. I was expecting it. I'm also kinda happy that they're not blaming Malcolm for Sara's death (yet). But yea. HOW DARE YOU DO THAT, DETECTIVE LANCE!!! Ugh. (I'm trying really hard not to complain about the fact that for a master archer, Oliver [And Nyssa for that matter] are really bad at fletching their arrows.) Also, Thea is getting pretty awesome.
    I must say, I really enjoy this version of Penguin so much more than any other version I've seen. (Interesting also that he's skinny, as opposed to all the other versions of him, which are quite obese.) Also he had an umbrella. That made me happy.

Arrow: 
    Agreed!!! I'm really enjoying that Thea is becoming a badass. (She's going to become Speedy and it's going to be awesome!) But I am SO DONE with everyone hiding things! Oh my god! Everyone, just cards on the table! Please! Ughhhhh You've dragged this out for two and a half seasons, now, just TALK TO YOUR SIBLING /rant

My writing project
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Delete
    by RialVestro
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    Wow, man, learn how to use spoiler tags. :(

Talking about episodes that have already aired is expected, but spoiling the identities of characters and discussing twists and plot points that haven't yet happened in the show, but you know will happen because you have the "in" knowledge from reading comic books, is just incredibly rude. If you'd read through what other people have posted, you'd know that any future speculation based on external knowledge from the show is hidden in spoiler tags.

I read Game of Thrones, but I would NEVER talk about the events of the book with people who just watch the show. That should go without saying!

I am very disappointed you felt you had to spoil things other people might not know just to demonstrate your prowess. Please use spoiler tags in the future to keep from ruining shows for others.
    My writing project
    edited November 2014
    Delete
    by RialVestro
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    As I said in my previous post, the spoiler warning is in reference to talking about episodes that have already come out. It's warning people that if you haven't yet seen the show, reading the thread would spoil things for you. 
    But spoiling events that have not yet happened in the series, that a viewer of just the TV show couldn't possibly know, exceeds poor etiquette. 
    My writing project
    You know, you can always post another comment instead of editing your comment after I've replied to it. 

And I am following my own advice. I believe my exact wording was:
    Kiar said:

THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS TO ALL EPISODES OF EACH SERIES THAT HAVE BEEN AIRED

I really don't see how that could be more clear. Spoilers are in reference to episodes that have been aired. I can't think of any instance in which is is seen as acceptable for a book-reader to spoil something about a TV show or movie that is based on its source material. It would be like spoiling Harry Potter for people who were watching the movies, but hadn't read the books. Or, as I mentioned before, like spoiling Game of Thrones to someone who just watched the TV show. 
    It should go without saying that when you're in the TV/Movies subforum, talking about TV shows or movies, spoiling events that will take place based on the book material is exceptionally impolite. 
    My writing project
    Yeah, a ton of people that are watching and now love the show could easily not know all the continuity of the comics. If you want to talk about the comics,that's great, but keep it to the comic's area. Here you should only be talking about the show as it is.
    edited November 2014
    Delete
    by RialVestro
    edited November 2014
    Dude, you need to learn how to get to the meat of your post. I'm not reading that just so you can argue with us. My point was simply that this is the TV and movies subforum, most people would find that in itself self explanatory. I'm just trying to let you know so people don't get mad at you, it's just a subtle little cue.

((Rial, you are such a troll. editing after people responded to you.))
    by Teaj
    Rial, I have asked you multiple times to leave comic book spoilers out of this thread. Teaj has asked you to talk about comic books in the comic book section as well. Please edit and spoil tag your posts, or refrain from posting in this thread again. 
    My writing project