What is your favorite sci-fi series?

MorboMorbo Posts: 69
edited December 2014 in TV/Movies
I fear for Night Vale. I fear for all those caught between what they know and what they don't yet know they don't know.

What is your favorite sci-fi series? 37 votes

Star Trek
16%
MichkovLinnism31petecentauriemtttikeGray_Thomas 6 votes
Star Wars
10%
leonwingsteinMcEstebananxiously_awareLegolasIsMyDad 4 votes
Doctor Who
37%
JustKimmattierensingingwritingLuke_Earl_MolleeeeewhyAngryplanttigress156QuestioningThingsBluemoon86WholockAtHogwartsemnavTrishaKatFrogcassiea521 14 votes
Firefly
8%
KiarjohnhmaloneyMerovius 3 votes
Battlestar Galactica
5%
RedCapsandHinkypunksMorbo 2 votes
Farscape
0%
Stargate
5%
Off_Brand_Snow_WhiteKebuyo 2 votes
Sliders
0%
The X-Files
0%
Other(please state in comments)
16%
clausitLookingForMyMiraclecrowlovescoreRialVestroTHE_MONGOLSkadima295 6 votes

Comments

• clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    Futurama.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭
    I voted other because I can't choose more than one and there are others not mentioned on the list that could technically be considered sci-fi.

Star Trek: Sort of. My dad is a Trekie and The Next Generation was on the air for the first time while I was a kid. I really enjoyed this series the most as the original series was very dated. The sets and stuff looked really fake. I also tended to like Deep Space Nine because they started on the Next Generation, a couple of the characters transferred over between the two shows. But I never watched too much past that. I love the Q episodes. And if you're a fan of John de Lancie's character like I am, I really recommend reading the book "I, Q" which was written by the man himself and features Q as the main character of the book.

Star Wars: Only the movies. As far as I'm concerned the expanded universe takes place in an alternate continuity that has nothing to do with the films.

Doctor Who: Matt Smith. Though I do also enjoy Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Paul McGann, and David Tennant. I never really liked their companions and thought a lot of classic era stories were long drawn out and boring. There are scenes where literally nothing is happening. A lot of that dead space should of been taken out in editing. If no one is talking or doing anything we don't really need to see every single second.

Firefly: I believe another member on these forums actually introduced me to this show. And I did quite enjoy it despite several episodes clearly being out of order. They were aired that way and looking them up online for some reason it was never corrected as the online listings still have the episodes out of order.

Battlestar Galactica: Nope

Farscape: Nope.

Stargate: Seen it, never got into it. Also did you know they actually had an Animated series in the late 90's. It was short lived and I find a lot of Stargate fans never knew it existed.

Sliders: YES! Though I think it was best in the first season. Originally they were actually explaining all the science behind how the different universes are able to exist. However around season 2 they dropped this and started going into alternate universes that can't be explained by science. It went from being Science Fiction to fantasy.

The X-Files: Nope.

And now for some you didn't list.

Quantum Leap: There's actually very little science in this show. It can tend to get a bit religious actually. This isn't so much a science fiction as it is a good history lesson. Despite the religious and sci-fi elements to the show the main focus is that they actually visit different point in history and meet people you might read about in history class except you actually get to see it rather than read about it. It's very educational and fun.

Transformers: It's a show about alien robots... how can you not call that Science Fiction? And Beast Wars is actually my favorite Transformers series. It's well written and has great characters. I've rewatched it multiple times and I always like it more every time I see it. The only down side is the animation which this was one of the first shows made entirely in CGI. It does not hold up. The animation got better as the series progressed but even at it's best is not anywhere near as good as today's cartoons.

Futurama: I loved that show. Hated it when it went off the air. And just a few months after I found out they were showing new episodes on Comedy Central it got cancelled again. For years I thought the end of it's run on Fox was the end of it's run entirely. I knew it was on Comedy Central but I thought they were only showing reruns of the old episodes.

Invader Zim: Another comedy sci-fi cartoon that ended way too soon. Though unlike Futurama I don't think anyone else ever picked it up again after Nickelodeon dropped it.

Space Cases: Speaking of Nickelodeon shows... This was like Star Trek meets Lost in Space. The crew were mostly children except for two adults and a humanoid robot that served as the ship's computer threw a wireless link. (The robot is not able to leave the ship because the link would be lost and she would no longer function. She is actually part of the ship.) There was also a girl with an imaginary friend who later turned not to imaginary. She just existed in out of sync with their time and aliens from her friends planet are able to see into this time pocket which is why no one else could see her. The cast also included the original Black Power Ranger.

The Tomorrow People: Not the CW series. That series is actually a remake... and it's not even the first remake. Each version of this series was made exactly 20 years apart from each other. So apparently every 20 years they're going to do another remake. The first series was actually British and made by the same people who made Doctor Who. Steven was much younger in that series. The now Asian guy was originally black and younger. The other two characters are actually largely unchanged... except obviously with Steven being the youngest the teenage girl had no romantic interest in him. The second series which also aired on Nickelodeon is the one I grew up with. It's actually changed even more from the current series. The computer thing which just looks like an over head projector. In that series was actually the on board computer of an alien space ship. Their base rather than being hidden under ground was inside of a crashed alien ship which was mostly buried on a desert island. No one had the same name as the original characters. There was still three boys and a girl though. But now the girl was black. The "Steven" character who was not actually called Steven was best friends with the other boy who in the original was black and in the new series is Asian but in that series he was actually a freckled red head and the last one in the series to develop his powers after not Steven. All of the Tomorrow People were actually scattered all over the world and the first time they teleport they're drawn to the space ship like a magnet. They can't leave the island till they learn to control it. Which I actually thought was much better than for some reason all the Tomorrow People all live in the same freaking city. Another thing from the original and the remake that makes no sense is Tomorrow People hunting their own kind. It makes no sense, why would you work for an organization who's sole purpose is to kill you? The Nickelodeon series never did this.

I think that pretty much covers all the Sci-Fi series I can think of right now... but Transformers is the best.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    Oh I also really liked Men in Black the Animated Series... even though it doesn't really follow the movies.

The series was made after the first movie. Never explains how K returned to MIB despite being neuralized at the end of the movie. Also L seems to have more experience than J despite being recruited after. The movie also seems to show L as a field agent while the series takes advantage of her medical skills... she rarely leaves the lab in MIB headquarters.

Another oddity is that one of the characters in the sequel was actually in the series or at least what appears to be an alien based on the same species. Scrad and Charlie, the two headed alien from Men in Black 2 is actually two aliens. Scrad is an alien of unknown species while Charlie is a Symbiote. Symbiotes need a host to survive and do typically appear as a second head mimicking that of their host. It's should also be noted that Symbiotes need to find a new host every so often as remaining bonded with the same host for too long will permanently bond them together making it so the symbiote can no longer be removed without killing both it and the host. In the animated series there was a Symbiote named Troy who for a while was actually bonded to agent J before being transferred to a new host. Though the names of his other hosts in the show were never given. I'll also note that it was suppose to be K who was going to host Troy but he was sick meaning that his illness of been passed to Troy who would then give it to his next host. He needed a health host to avoid spreading diseases and be passed on before the bond became permanent.

The one difference between the two is that in the series the Symbiote actually protruded from the neck rather than being hidden inside of a back pack. And Troy only really matched skin tones with his host not made an exact copy of their face. However he was kind of a blob with eyes and a mouth so this change was probably done because it's more visually interesting than just animating a CGI blob with a face. He's normally grey when he's not bonded with anyone and the grey gets darker the longer he's without a host to show he's dying.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Doctor Who

I feel that I must state that Torchwood was amazing, I also loved Survivors and The Outcasts (all BBC so far).

Another one I truly loved was Warehouse 13, one of my favorite parts about it was that it had so many characters from some of my other favorite syfy shows. It had the guy who played Ianto in Torchwood, and Ianto is an awesome name. It also had Fargo from Eureka. Eureka is another one that I loved. It was really cool and I don't know why it wasn't included in the list above.

The only Star Trek I loved is Next Gen. It is fracking awesome. Picard is amazing and I love the philosophy of Star Trek.

I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
    I really liked Eureka. I know it exists in the same universe as Warehouse 13 as they've done a few cross overs between the two shows, but I never actually got into Warehouse 13. I've basically only seen the episodes that had Eureka characters in them.
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Doctor Who
    I watched all of the episodes they have on Netflix of both shows, I found their way of explaining the paranormal in Warehouse 13 to be intriguing
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • anxiously_awareanxiously_aware Depends on the hourPosts: 131 ✭✭
    Star Wars
    I like Stargate, from the few episodes I've seen of it. I saw the movie, but I haven't seen enough to dethrone Star Wars as my favorite. 
    "Every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every 'superstar,' every 'supreme leader,' every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
    I like Stargate, from the few episodes I've seen of it. I saw the movie, but I haven't seen enough to dethrone Star Wars as my favorite. 
    Stargate had a short lived animated series back in the late 90's early 2000's. Surprisingly I've never known any Stargate fan who actually knows it even existed. The irony is, I never got into the franchise myself and I've seen the cartoon.
  • leonwingsteinleonwingstein VTPosts: 2,679 Mod
    Star Wars
    I love Firefly and X-Files, too, but no one tops Star Wars.
    "Even in the darkness, every color can be found." -Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog | "Remember: You're unique, just like everyone else." -Warren Miller
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants." | THE LAST ONE WHO VLOGS HERE WINS
    You can call me LeoN or Jezzy.  Or anything else, though I might not recognize or respond. | Diamond of the Last Ones
  • Neerav293Neerav293 Posts: 2
    I love interstellar and the matrix.
  • crowlovescorecrowlovescore GermanyPosts: 44 ✭✭
    I not 100% sure what counts as scifi and I really used to love doctor who, but it has gotten disappointingly bad.

I recently discovered "dark matter" and I am halve way in and it is awesome. It is about a a bunch of people and an android on a spaceship whose memories have been whipped and their journey of figuring out who they are and at the same time how to stay alive.

Does "legends of tomorrow" count as sci fi, because that show seems epic so fare.
  • centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48
    Star Trek
    Went with Star Trek, even though I love many of the other options as well, but I picked that one because it's my first & greatest love!
  • Gray_ThomasGray_Thomas Posts: 3
    Star Trek
    Fringe is also a great show not mentioned
  • kadima295kadima295 Posts: 4
    Morbo said:

I really really liked Forever , The Flash and Scorpion.. i don't know if they fit in the sci-fi camp
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    Definitely Black Mirror :)
    Not all Superhero shows fit into Sci-Fi. I mean superhero has sort of become it's own genre. However Legends of Tomorrow, because it deals with a time traveling ship full of technology from the distant future, is most certainly in the Sci-Fi category.

The Flash kinda touches on that as well whenever they go near the time travel and multiple Earths stuff... which actually happens quite a lot now that I think about it so yeah Flash counts too.

Arrow for the most part tries to stay away from Sci-fi topics which include time travel, multiple universe, aliens, and basically anything that can be explained by fictional science. Arrow seems to lean more towards a fantasy drama. The fantasy part because several characters in Arrow have supernatural abilities that can't be explained by science, real or fictional. Though being in the same universe as the other two it's going to have some elements of sci-fi as well.