Comic Literature

beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
I guess this is brought on by the fact that my Major is in New Media- Comic literature and various other things- that I think it should be about time to have some representation of this medium of books! Not even just in the sphere of superhero novels, but all novels. I think that the wide variety of nerdifhteria would benefit from a discussion about Art Speigleman's "Maus", Allison Bechdals "Fun Home" and an intellighetual  talk about the amazing nature of Graphic story telling.

Comments

• deeleelambbaadeeleelambbaa Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 15
    My mind was blown by Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Beautiful! I've found that the easiest way to learn about middle east conflict, an embarrassing gap in my understanding of the world, has been to read various graphic novels! I read Palestine by Joe Sacco, The Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan, and of course, Persepolis, have been able to advance my understanding without being bogged down with dates, political factions, etc. It makes it all very relate-able because of the simplification, but also very nuanced with the visual representations/metaphors. Like you mentioned, Maus is probably the king of all kings for graphic novel visual metaphor! 
    Have you read In the Shadow of No Towers, also by Art Spiegelman? This one book made me set my bookshelf two notches lower than the one above it just to make it fit on the shelf like a normal book. Why do graphic novels always have to be such weird shapes and sizes?! Cough cough 300. Get with the program, books. Tried and true formats, please. 
    "She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
    -Louisa May Alcott
  • beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Haha yeah- I just have them stacked on my dresser because it's so impossible to contain them normally! Don't even get me started with Building stories!

I'm in a Graphic memior class right now and we're about to read Persepolis and I'm SO EXCITED TO READ IT. You should look at "A Contract with God" it's amazing
  • deeleelambbaadeeleelambbaa Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 15
    Oh, I've read another by Will Eisner, New York: Life in the Big City and it was pretty good. His ability to capture emotion within even inanimate objects is incredible. I'll definitely look into reading more of his. 
    I discovered most of the books I've read through my basic level graphic novels course as my freshman seminar so many years ago. 
    I hope you're reading both parts of Persepolis! If not, you'll be tortured enough to read the other part on your own anyway. 
    "She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
    -Louisa May Alcott
  • beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Oh yeah we're reading both. I have to read Lynda Barry's 100 demons this week- and I don't know how to feel about it... but it's interesting!