writers block

Hey guys, I'm new here but I really like this place so far. I love writing pretty much anything, from stories and potential novels to essays of all kind. But I have a lot of problems getting past writers block. I've only been writing for about one year so I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but I'm really impatient. So what do you guys do to get past writers block?

Comments

• ZoaThePersonZoaThePerson Nevada, the land o' dirtPosts: 243 ✭✭
    Well, I found this website of writing prompts. I hope it helps. 
    We must bring back the interrobang. What's an interrobang‽ 
    What do you mean "what's an interrobang?" 
    ‽ < that's an interrobang. a grammatically correct alternative to "?!" or "!?"

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    when you have those ideas when your not trying to write, write them, even if it is a bad time, if you don't you will more than likely forget them, also don't try to write, sit down and write, if you force it then it won't work, try listening to music or watching some videos on youtube, or looking at writing prompts if you want to write then write, but don't schedule it for the same time every day that makes it harder
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
    also when you write, don't force yourself to work on the same piece, work on several things, if you get a different idea while you are trying to write something else, you can go and work on that idea too
  • bananaboatbananaboat United StatesPosts: 5
    It always helps me to force myself to do writing prompts for a while. After a week or two (or even a couple of days sometimes) you'll notice that your flow is just better. This group of prompts is my favorite by far. And another thing to do is to find a story you really like and spin off of it. Don't publish it or anything because that's plagiarism, but it can help sometimes to take an idea that's already out there and remake parts that you don't like, or to grow off of it and take it in a different/further direction.
    Most of all, just relax! Drink your favorite drink and eat and snack and go for a walk and then come back to whatever you are working on. Don't think about it while you're out doing things! Pushing too hard never works.
    Good luck! :)
    “There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.” 
    ― Diane SetterfieldThe Thirteenth Tale
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this forum, but writer's block does not exist. It's about priorities and discipline. If you can't make yourself write, then you're not a writer. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's definitionally true. See below for a previous, more thoughtful take on this matter:

"I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I genuinely believe that writer's block isn't real. It's an excuse people give themselves not to write. Just because you're not bursting at the seams with inspiration doesn't mean that you can't write. Sure, it might mean that what you write might be bad for a while, until a good idea hits you, but in my experience, the absolute worst thing you could do is not write. 

"So, that said, here is an infallible formula that can help you beat "writers block:" Free up an hour each day of the week. For that hour, you will turn off your cell phone, television, WiFi, and anything else that might distract you. You will open your word processor or your notebook--whichever you prefer, and write whatever you can for an hour. If you truly can't write, then you will sit and stare at the screen, but my guess is sooner or later you'll put some words on that page.

If you want to write, write. Figure out the rest later.""

by Lavache_Beadsman
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this forum, but writer's block does not exist. It's about priorities and discipline. If you can't make yourself write, then you're not a writer. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's definitionally true. See below for a previous, more thoughtful take on this matter:

"I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I genuinely believe that writer's block isn't real. It's an excuse people give themselves not to write. Just because you're not bursting at the seams with inspiration doesn't mean that you can't write. Sure, it might mean that what you write might be bad for a while, until a good idea hits you, but in my experience, the absolute worst thing you could do is not write. 

"So, that said, here is an infallible formula that can help you beat "writers block:" Free up an hour each day of the week. For that hour, you will turn off your cell phone, television, WiFi, and anything else that might distract you. You will open your word processor or your notebook--whichever you prefer, and write whatever you can for an hour. If you truly can't write, then you will sit and stare at the screen, but my guess is sooner or later you'll put some words on that page.

If you want to write, write. Figure out the rest later.""

But you can't force yourself to write. You should find an idea then write about it, don't try to write to find the ideas, then your ideas won't be as good. If the idea comes to you, then you should write it, but sitting there staring at a screen trying to write stuff sucks, writing is supposed to be fun not hard. If you force it, it will be hard.
    edited July 2015
    @Luke_Earl_Molle The problem with sitting and waiting for an idea to hit you is that you don't write. If you just like writing as a pastime and don't really care about craft or skill, then it doesn't really matter how often you write, and you can just wait until inspiration strikes.

However, if you want to write for publication, or even just get better, the only way to improve is to A) Read a lot and B) Write a lot. In my experience, the problem with just waiting for "a good idea" is that because the only way to get better is to write, if you make excuses for yourself (like "writer's block"), then you won't write and you won't improve. 

Also, maybe this is just how my brain works, but in my experience, the best ideas I've had came to me when I was following my own rules. Just freewriting or typing away or experimenting with voice. Writing--especially writing something like a novel, but this goes for short stories too--is usually a journey. There's usually no "a-ha" moments. You write to explore your themes, plot, and characters. The only way to find out what you have is to try doing it.

I mean, if you really want to be a writer, then having bad ideas is better than having no ideas. Most of what you write is going to bad. That's just how it works. You can only find out what works and what doesn't by trying to execute it. It's tragic that a lot of ideas work in your head and don't on the page, but that's just the nature of writing. Excellent quote on this by Wallace:

by Lavache_Beadsman
    You don't understand what I mean. If you force yourself to come up with ideas they won't tend to be as good. In my opinion if you are creative enough to write fiction then you have endless ideas anyways. There should never be any forcing it. The part that you have to force is to use those ideas and expand them. If you don't have an idea to write about don't try to write about it, because you will get nowhere. When I write it is completely on a whim, I just get up go to my typewriter and start writing something, and I then I think about all of the possibilities that come with it, and I make something amazing. When I try to force myself to write I end up with an lesser idea, and the posibillities seem to limited.

Here is an example: say I started a story about Purple Pig, a pig  that protects the galaxy(I have made many stories about this awesome pig). I wrote down a page in the story, and I don't have anything else solid to add, so I go and sit and listen to music, talk to awesome people. I go and find inspiration in the memories of that stuffed purple pig I had when I was a kid, and then I realize that there are infinite possibilities for things he can do, so I start writing things about how Purple Pig and Blue Boar decided to fight the Animaltastic Druglords. I think about it all day everyday, and when I sit down at a computer I let the adventure flow, with the most awesome ideas I could think of since then and I end up with something amazing.

Ha, though I do write, I hardly think I'm creative enough to have an "endless flow of ideas."

But see, you're having another discussion. If one is at the point of "writer's block," then what's implied is that one has nothing to write about. The worst thing one can then do is not write. Writing really is a skill where if you don't use it, you lose it. And therefore, routines are key, I think. Sitting down every night to work, whether or not that night is productive or easy, is the only way to improve and move forward.

What I'm saying is: there is no such thing as "writer's block." Sometimes you're inspired and motivated to write, and other times you're not. But when you allow a lack of motivation/inspiration to win out, then it's easy to fall into a habit of not-writing. And THAT'S what's dangerous for a writer. 

Like I said, unless you're some kind of genius and can bang out masterpieces in a single month like Dickens or Balzac, about two-thirds of what you write is going to be absolute crap. Thus "all writing is re-writing." The crap will be slightly less crappy, however, if you are practiced. 

Again, not everybody who writes does so for publication or the desire for an audience. And if you're one of the many who just likes to write for his/her own pleasure, then by all means, don't worry about writer's block. But if you want to get better and maybe one day get published, the worst thing you can do is not write. You are, after all, a writer by virtue of the fact that you write.
  • kennrosekennrose Posts: 2
    Read this and this. These two articles helped me with my writing block.