Martial arts?

HelleHelle Posts: 21
Any nerdfighters who do martial arts out there? If so: What sort? How long have you been training? What belt are you? (If your branch uses belts, that is) Why did you start, and why do you still train? Aaaand...anything else you might like to add.

I train ju jitsu, and I've been training for ...some years. I really don't know any more. I'm a black belt, 1st dan. I started training just because all of my friends did, and I didn't want to be left out. Not one of the friends I started with still train, though...oh well. 

Comments

• random_fanrandom_fan Posts: 173
    I study combined martial arts, have been doing it for I think about four years and am currently a brown belt. I started because I'd been interested in studying a martial arts and two of my friend were studying it and so I thought I'd give it a go, they quit before I even had my first lesson but it was so fun I didn't care. I've been in a couple of tournaments and last year came third for both kata and sparring for my belt grade in the state.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."
  • CharlotteCharlotte Posts: 19
    I do taekwondo. I started in February this year as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award. I'm only yellow stripe but I'm really determined to keep going because it's the first sport I've tried that I actually care about.
  • ErasmasErasmas Posts: 6

I study Moh-Kempo Kung-fu. Been doing it for… six years? I think. I just got my blue sash which is the second in the traditional Chinese ranking system that goes green sash, blue sash, red sash, and then white sash. I’m not really sure why I started, I guess it seemed like it would be fun, which it was. 

• tim_colligtim_collig Posts: 3
    AIKIDO!!!!!!!!! 
    is what I do
    probably been doing it for 6 months and i'm going for my 6th kyu soon
  • GaleronGaleron Posts: 5
    I have coming on 5 years and a first dan black belt in Tae Kwon Do (current student), and high color belts in Kenpo, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, MMA, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a smattering of Tai Chi, and a beginner's knowledge of WMA (Western/medieval martial arts, current student). Product of moving around in my younger years.
  • JustinSwanJustinSwan Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I started in 2nd grade, tested for my black belt in 4th grade, and quit my freshman year of high school.
    “But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.” 
    ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
  • DoctorNekoDoctorNeko Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I've been doing Judo for nearly 16 years now. Phew... that's a long time :)
    I still haven't done my black belt, but I'm 1st Kyu (brown) so only 1 step away. Problem is that I have no real training partner in my area and sadly I don't have the time to travel to other sport clubs in the hope of finding someone.
    But I will do my trainer license. Just registered today. I have been training both of our youth groups for nearly four years now, so I hope that I will pass my exam.

I love doing Judo. When I was younger I had lot's of problems in school and it was nice to have one place, where not only could I shine but I was accepted. That is also the reason why I want to continue teaching Judo at our club: I want to give other children the same experience.

Working as a Judo trainer also gave me the idea to become a "real" teacher so Judo defiantly changed my life :D  
  • carvagiocarvagio Posts: 3
    I've trained in Taijiquan for 2 years now, been learning Long Jop Pai kungfu for the last year, and have tossed around with some Tien Shen Pai kungfu quite a bit (cause they're the folks I learn Taiji from) before any of that I took Tae Kwon Do for several months. I was a green belt when I left there, I have an orange sash in Long Jop Pai and my Taiji teacher (who lives back in my home town, while I'm here at college, so I don't have many opportunities to see) doesn't give belts except honorary black belts for when he knows you're a better martial artist than him.
    I started cause I had always, always wanted to for as long as I could remember. Finally did in the summer after sophomore year of high school, and I've stuck with Martial Arts cause A. They're the only physical activity I have above average skill in and B. There's such discipline, spirituality, and confidence to be gained from practicing that it has become my favorite thing to do. I also study martial arts extensively and they're one of the main reasons I decided to make one of my majors Asian Studies.
    Arf! *wags tail*
  • DoctorNekoDoctorNeko Posts: 17 ✭✭
    carvagio said:
     There's such discipline, spirituality, and confidence to be gained from practicing that it has become my favorite thing to do. 
    Yes! That sums up exactly why most of us do martial arts. It's relaxing in a weird sort of way. That's what you should look for, when doing a martial art. Not the fighting, looking good and getting fit are the main reasons we stick with them, though they are a nice bonus ;)

I actually got my 1st judo trainer licence last week. All the added training and learning reminded me again why I love this sport. 
  • leFailFishleFailFish EnglandPosts: 403 ✭✭✭
    I don't do martial arts any more, but I used to do Tae Kwon Do and Judo. I enjoyed both, although I didn't really focus on belts, it was more about enjoying learning the various skills and techniques. However, I rboke my wrist quite badly a few years ago and had to quit training for 6 months - I would have had to rejoin with different partners and stuff as everyone else had moved on, and I didn't want to do that without my friends, so I stopped entirely. I really regret that now, but I don't think I could go back unless I started basically at the beginning again. :(
    'I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.' Fandoms are life. I am not a psychopath, I am a high-functioning fangirl.
  • BH622BH622 BaltimorePosts: 128 ✭✭
    I've studied Tang Soo Do for over...oh god has it really been 18 years? 

I'm a third dan, and I probably won't go for my fourth even though that's when they start giving you fancy titles. The politics and hoops involved because my teacher didn't want to join either of the two international organizations would make it excessively complicated.

However, I'm trying to find a place to dive into a new style. It's been hard lately, since my greater metropolitan area has surprisingly few schools and I don't have a car.
    “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.” - Neil Gaiman on writing

Like martial arts? Like reading blogs about it? Not sure? Check out my brand new blog, A Warrior's Journey.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know where to start with Tai Chi?  I'm hoping it might be a way to be able to move occasionally when I'm incapable of doing most of what I usually do because of illness.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • LozzerzxDLozzerzxD Posts: 18
    I used to do kickboxing but stopped when i was about 12 so i did it for about 5 years or maybe six? I was about to sit the assessment for my black belt when my instructor stopped doing lessons because of the money he had to spend on renting a space and security checks and stuff so he was losing money rather than gaining it. I tried with a new instructor but he made it a lot more serious than I wanted it to be. The reason I started was because a friend at school started and my dad thought it sounded like a good idea - self defense and stuff. I want to get back into it but I don't know anywhere in the area i moved to last year that does it.
    I've gone Tang Soo do since I was 5. It's a traditional Korean style. I'm currently a third degree black belt. I'd test again, but there are some politics between me and 4th degree. Particularly, my school wasn't affiliated with either of the two international associations, and they are the ones who test 4th degree and up. I'm now trying to get my butt in gear and train more seriously than I have been recently.
    “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.” - Neil Gaiman on writing

Like martial arts? Like reading blogs about it? Not sure? Check out my brand new blog, A Warrior's Journey.
  • SheWolf1616SheWolf1616 Alabama, USAPosts: 2
    I started training in martial arts about six years ago all because I was terribly bored and needed something to occupy my time with. Now I'm a black belt in karate and a white belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu and I love every aspect of my training (okay admittedly I hated the two mile run I had to do to get my black belt, but all the black belt candidates felt that way so I think it's okay). I've also studied a good bit of krav maga along with some mui thai and my absolute favorite style, traditional kenpo karate because who doesn't love clawing people's faces? I've also learned how to use a multitude of weapons in my training including nunchukus, kamas (my personal favorite), bo staff, escrima sticks, and a tad bit with the katana.
    What I really love about my training was how it started out as something I decided to do as a bored little kid and now it's something that I use to define myself. It has impacted my life in so many big and little ways. It has not only helped my grow both mentally and physically, but it has also consequently helped shape little aspects of my personality such as the music I like to listen to today. 
    I also find it interesting how the dojo I enrolled at has made such a difference. It and the instructors it has are just so uniquely awesome it has just done so much to affect me and my training and the only reason I even enrolled at this particular dojo was because no one ever answered the phone at the martial arts school I originally wanted to go to. Five years later I discovered while conversing with a group of black belt candidates that they all had also intended to sign up for classes at that school, but they didn't answer the phone for them either. Moral of the story, martial arts instructors answer your phone or you will lose groups of awesome black belts.
    I've started a Martial Arts blog, and I figured that this would be a good place to link it. I know this particular thread doesn't get too much traffic, but I feel like those who do take a look here will appreciate the content. 

It's mostly my musings on Tang Soo Do and my approach to training and practice. It's full of things I could post in this forum but would be too long for a general forum post.