Should I see Paper Towns?

RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭
When I saw "The Fault in Our Stars" I pretty much went into knowing it was going to be a sad movie and planning to see a comedy immediately afterwards. I think I cried threw that entire movie... like a lot... like I almost couldn't see half the time I was watching it. And then I went to the comedy... I forget what movie I saw after it but I needed a laugh after all that crying.

Paper Towns from what I can tell of the trailers it looks like a much lighter toned movie but if my previous experience with John Green's work is anything to go by... should I even see this movie? Like I might check it out at some point but I'm really not in the mood for another tear jerker right now.

If you wouldn't recommend the movie to me specifically for the reasons I've already said, are there any books you would recommend I pick up instead. There aren't a lot of options for books where I live but ever since that first movie came out my local Wal-Mart has been stalking John Green books like crazy so right now is really the best time for me to actually start reading his books. (I've never actually read one before.) Again, I would prefer something that I'm not going to soak with my tears while I'm reading it. I don't even think I can read while crying. Given my reaction to the movie, I don't think I can ever read that book. My eyes would be too watery to focus on the words.

Also given that I've said this... if you do recommend the movie Paper Towns, I'll also pick up a copy of the book as well... Though I'll probably watch the movie first so I can get threw it without spending the entire time complaining about the inaccurate things that they changed from the book, as I often tend to do. (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the first Harry Potter, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Holes, and many others I can't even think of right now.) Also do that with TV shows based on books I've read though that's a much shorter list. Basically just certain episodes of Goosebumps and the Animorphs TV series... which a lot of people here probably didn't even know existed. Most Goosebumps episodes are based on books I never read as I mostly stuck to the choose your own adventure books and a lot of those were never adapted into the TV series so there's very few stories that I know both the book and tv versions of.
Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!

Comments

• Laide95Laide95 Posts: 1
    After TFIOS I cried during Hazels speech. Then I feelt really happy and great about it and I loved it since they still had their little infinity and that was enough. 

I picked up P-Towns a couple of weeks ago read it in 2 days since I really, really loved the bock. Then I reached the last parts and finished it and now I have been unable to sleep for a week I wake up most nights with my stomach hurting, watched the movie twice hoping for anything that could change my mood. I have lost all faith in love and I don't know if I will ever get it back. 

I have been desperately praying the internet for some signs that maybe Cara and Nat could restore this hope by being the most wonderfull couple ever created (ship nara), but since Cara is dating some bad girl pop star and Nat was spotted dating some other girl all hope seems lost. 

To anyone who is desperately klinging to the dream of true and eternal love. P-Towns will not be helpfull. Atleast in my experience.

(Sorry for any errors not my first language) 
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭
    So if I understand you correctly, you're saying it's another tear jerker that I should probably stay away from or have a comedy handy to watch right after it.

Are there any of Johns books you could recommend that aren't really emotional? I'd like to say I've at least read one of John Green's books but I'm not really into these emotional tear jerkers. I get enough of that in real life. I'd rather read something more uplifting not tragic.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • mysticnerdfightermysticnerdfighter PennsylvaniaPosts: 20
    I just watched Paper Towns (I bought the DVD a while back) and I didn't cry during it. I think I lost more feels from The Fault In Our Stars.
    "There's nothing better than a world where everybody's just trying to make each other laugh.”--Matthew Perry :D

Don't forget to be awesome <3
    I did eventually see Paper Towns. I actually liked that movie a lot more than TFioS. Kind of want to read the book now but of course when the movie was first coming out the book was everywhere and then when I decide I want to read the book I can't find it anywhere. :P I heard the book has a different ending than the movie but I don't want to know what it is till I actually read it myself. (Though I have a pretty good guess what happens differently.)
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    I would say definitely watch Paper Towns. One - it's a great story (because John's a good writer) and two - Cara Delevingne is a great actress. I don't think it'll leave you crying though. It has a different tone entirely than TFioS.
    RogansRun said:

I would say definitely watch Paper Towns. One - it's a great story (because John's a good writer) and two - Cara Delevingne is a great actress. I don't think it'll leave you crying though. It has a different tone entirely than TFioS.

Read the post right before yours.