Thoughts on the first GOP Debate?

Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
Was anyone impressed by anything? I'll post my thoughts below:

The thing about the format is that it, uh... blows. Thirty seconds for a rebuttal? What kind of "debate" is that?

The part of the debate, towards the end, where they started having a Jesus-off and talking about the blood of Christ was kind of weird.

Overall impressions:

Trump: Minus his opening comments about Rosie O'Donnell, he surprised me by not making an ass of himself (by his standards, anyway). The thing is, Trump plays by different rules. As long as he's honest (or appears honest) and abrasive, he's done well. And he was both of those things. The people who showed up to the debate might not like that he wouldn't pledge his support to the GOP, but I think most conservative voters see that as a positive, not a negative. His whole persona is anti-establishment. "Our country's leaders are stupid," etc. What else did they expect?

Cruz: There's something about Cruz that seems to rub people the wrong way. He didn't change that last night.

Paul: He got his ass handed to him by Christie over the NSA thing, but otherwise I thought he did pretty well. Still, the GOP base doesn't like libertarians. If they were ever going to nominate one, it would have been his (by far more charismatic) father. I haven't looked at his budget, but the fact that he has already proposed one, in my opinion, makes him more transparent than other candidates at this point, and that's a good thing. 

Huckabee: I thought he probably did as well as anyone else on the stage. I find his social policies repulsive, and I can't believe he's wasting his time and money by running again, but I guess he's free to do as he pleases.

Kaisak: He came off as one of the most reasonable men on the stage. If GOP voters were listening to the debate at all--instead of just selectively hearing what they wanted to hear--than I would have to think his numbers will improve.

Jeb Bush: I think when the Trump hype blows over, he's the next guy in line, and he didn't do anything to dissuade me of that last night. His foreign policy is probably the most coherent of any of the candidates. He handled questions about common core rather well. He's possibly the most boring man in American politics, but there are worse things to be.

Rubio: He was at the debate? Really? ... Are you sure? In all seriousness, he didn't hurt himself, but he didn't say anything that really stood out to me.

Christie: Did very well in the exchange with Rand Paul. I don't know how conservatives feel about giving the NSA more power, as he proposed, but he at least argued his position very well.

Walker: Was one of the people who went on for a bit about Jesus. I don't feel as though he had any big moments, anyway.

Carson: Seemed likable enough but it's also apparent that he's totally unqualified.

Comments

• Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the annoying format of the post; I originally posted this in another forum, but wanted to start a thread in this one with the hope of re-invigorating this forum a little bit.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    I have to clarify this by saying that I am Australian and so my opinion doesn't matter.

TRUMP WINS.

The GOP generally is about men in ties doing political favours for their friends (unlike the Democrats who do political favours for different friends). In any other civilised nation would be seen as unacceptable but because Trump has loads of money, he can say whatever the cuss heck he wants.

Trump wins because although he is certifiably disgusting, he's made headlines in the news in other countries. The actual nomination for the GOP candidacy is months away and the Presidential election is even further away. The electorate will have forgotten what was said by then. At this stage, all publicity is good publicity even if you are a hatbox.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    edited August 2015
    Rollo said:

In any other civilised nation would be seen as unacceptable but because Trump has loads of money, he can say whatever the cuss heck he wants.

Unlike, say, the UK's Nigel Farage? 

This brand of politics is not new, nor is it distinctly American.

by Lavache_Beadsman
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    I'm not particularly informed in the area, but I notice the faint possibility that the GOP will nominate someone else, Trump runs anyway, they split conservatives, and the Democrat wins a landslide, whoever they turn out to be.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
    edited August 2015
    I'm not particularly informed in the area, but I notice the faint possibility that the GOP will nominate someone else, Trump runs anyway, they split conservatives, and the Democrat wins a landslide, whoever they turn out to be.
    You're not the only one. Ultimately, though, I don't see why he would. It's virtually impossible for a third party candidate to win, and if he doesn't already know that, he pays somebody who will. Unless, of course, you think his entire campaign is an ingenious PR stunt. But even so, there are cheaper ways to publicize oneself. 
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Cruz is going to be involved in national government for the next 30 years and never be president.

I saw Paul as winning on the NSA.  Christie bulldogged as he usually does but was, what I see as, on the wrong side of the issue but then proceeded to stand on the bodies of 9/11 victims to give him a leg up which I thought was distasteful.  Paul didn't do well though but I think his closer was good.

Huckabee is on a book tour and I am looking forward to him bowing out.  He doesn't tread any ground not previously tread and manages to piss off all kinds of people who aren't his core audience.  Not a very winning model.

Kasich did surprisingly well.  Oddly enough he got heralded from many on the left for his more progressive statements but his track record is very conservative.  I think he has good ideas but he lacks that intangible x factor for me.

Bush was polished and well spoken until he tripped up at which point he became a mess.  I don't think he changed anyone's mind though I think he solidified those that like him and those that don't.

Rubio seemed to me to have a strong presence and though I don't agree with much of what he was saying, I can see him being more of a top contender than initially thought.

Christie did great on everything but NSA.  I am still never voting for him.

Walker seemed vanilla and kind of sold himself that way.  He just does nothing for me.

Carson did very well because he can never make it so he played with the energy of the room well.  He is a smart and well spoken man with some very odd ideas who will never be president.

Trump isn't going to make it all the way, and I don't see him splitting the vote.  He won't matter in 9 months because no one will be able to take his total lack of any plans and his disgusting behavior seriously anymore.  At least not enough people.  I think he didn't do well in the debates at all and will be suffering the stings from some of those blows for awhile.
  • SchlemielSchlemiel Posts: 5
    Maybe its me but I was impacted mostly by the pro-life rhetoric. The mentioning over and again fetus limbs and organs being harvested and the emphasis on late term abortions seemed over the top.