A poem on my confusion about the usage of ironies

VenkiPhy6VenkiPhy6 Chennai, IndiaPosts: 2
I am a Physics student and I am trying to be good at the arts too['coz I have never understood why I shouldn't do that]. So I wanted to write a poem on ironies. Then...I got so confused. So I wrote a poem on the confusion! [You most probably won't like it. But I just want to put it out.] Here you go :- 

The confusion in ironies
A prosthetist losing an arm;
An arms dealer shot point blank;
A mahout killed by an elephant;
A big elephant killed by a small snake;
A snake killed by a venom;
Houdini not killed by a hundred and more dangers,
But killed by a single punch to the gut;
And Me, writing a poem on Ironies,
Still being confused by the question,
"What counts as Irony?";
Are all ironic?
Or are they not ironic?
Or is the confusion of their ironicness the irony?
Questions prevail…

Also I really want to understand the usage of ironies. But the resources I have found so far are all confusing. Can you help with that?
Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

Comments

• LunarEclipseLunarEclipse HogwartsPosts: 58
    Irony literally means something turning out the opposite of what one would think it would turn out to be. There are three main types of irony in writing: verbal irony, dramatic irony, and situational irony. Verbal irony is kind of like sarcasm, and is when something is said that is the opposite of the intended meaning ("While verbal irony implies a different meaning to what is actually said, sarcasm is mainly used as a sharp and direct utterance designed to cause pain." is apparently the difference). In verbal irony, there are two categories: understatements and overstatements. Dramatic irony is when the reader knows something the character does not (think horror films). Finally, situational irony is when something happens that is the opposite of what one would expect. Most of your examples in your poem are situational. Irony and coincidence are too often confused, but other than that irony is not too terribly complicated if you can find a good resource on it. I hope this helps a little bit, most of it is conjuring up bits knowledge from English class a few years ago. This resource is something I found helpful: http://typesofirony.com/the-3-types-of-irony/ 
    "You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss
    Why do liquid metals (or nearly liquid ones, I still love you Gallium) never cease to interest me?
    Would a dragon fruit be less fascinating if it was called by another name?
  • RaibeanRaibean Oceanside, CAPosts: 144 ✭✭
    An arms dealer shot point blank is something that you WOULD expect to happen. Considering all the weapons.