What music should people check out?

VoyagerSTVoyagerST Posts: 111 ✭✭
I decided to start this thread after finding a really great singer/songwriter/guitarist named Grace Petrie who I wanted to share with everyone. I really like her music and lyrics. I think my favorite song or hers is "They Shall Not Pass." Look her up on YouTube or go to her site at http://music.gracepetrie.com/.

Does anyone else have music they think everyone should check out?
That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering [...] every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our speicies lived there - on a mote or dust suspended in a sunbeam. -Carl Sagan

Comments

• Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    Ah, I'm digging Grace Petrie!

Considering the popularity of The Mountain Goats amongst Nerdfighters, I think y'all might do well to check out a similar band, Andrew Jackson Jihad:

• ErghErgh DutchlandPosts: 2
    Ayreon. After their recent theatre production and presentation on the 10+-year old album 'The Human Equation', I can only say that the music of Arjen Lucassen is timeless.

The music is breathtaking, the story that unfolds during the albums are more than just lyrics, nearly poetic and easily comprehensable. Especially the collaboration projects of Arjen Lucassen, also known as Ayreon, are of such a high quality that any metal-fan can appreciate his works. Lots of folk, classical influence as well which allows Lucassen to play with the music. Big chance that if a certain song doesn't sound to your pleasing, you will be able to find another that you are able to dig. He also often stars the lesser and well known metal musicians of around the world. For example James LaBrie (Dream Theater) sung as the main character on 'The Human Equation'.
    This is metal opera at its finest.

Personally I can recommend these 2 albums:
    The Human Equation (part 1): 
    The Human Equation (part 2): 

01011001 (part 1): 
    01011001 (part 2): 
  • LiteralSporkLiteralSpork Posts: 4
    I have become completely obsessed with the soundtrack to the musical Hamilton! It is so good!!11!!
    *has no idea what else to say*
    Hai! I love reading, writing, drawing, acting, YouTube, Fall Out Boy, and, uh, a lot of other things. Have a lovely day!
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 599 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes and Smashing Pumpkins
    by beepbop1011
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • booksandwitchingbooksandwitching Posts: 10
    edited August 2016
    Regina Spektor as well as Sleeping at Last.
    by booksandwitching
  • TurquoiseBlueTurquoiseBlue Posts: 89
    @booksandwitching I like Regina Spektor, too. Out of her songs my favorite is Laughing With God (I just found an interesting commentary on the song: http://mobile.journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/_layouts/15/oaks.journals.mobile/articleviewer.aspx?year=2014&issue=03000&article=00022#ath ).
    Other artists that I've recently started listening to are The Weepies and Kimya Dawson.
    "I’m scared of everything. And I’m crazy. Like maybe you think I’m a little crazy, but I only ever let people see the tip of my crazy iceberg. Underneath this veneer of slightly crazy and socially inept, I’m a complete disaster." Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell
  • Oh, cool. I'm so excited about her new album that I've been listening to all her songs repeatedly. I agree about the commentary, her songs are meaningful and stuff. @TurquoiseBlue
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a person that I was told about by a friend who is pretty awesome.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=5YJjNZ3DkTk
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • username_not_foundusername_not_found United StatesPosts: 13
    I like Rob Scallon. He's a YouTuber, so I'm sure that at least some of you have heard of him, but he's really creative and has some good songs. He does a lot of guitar/instrumental stuff, and a good chunk of it is metal(which I'm not the biggest fan of), but some of his other songs are really good. My favorite is For That Second.
  • AhrenStringersLegsAhrenStringersLegs Long Island, NYPosts: 3
    Brand New, who have been around since the early 2000's and are sadly breaking up a after this last tour. Their really good for people that are really into deep, sad, emotional and really well written music.

Modern Baseball is a great band for anyone that likes very easy to listen to, catchy, and not so serious music with witty writing.

The Amity Affliction is a good band for anyone who's into Metalcore and likes going on a trip on the feels train. They practically don't have a single song that isn't sad and emotional.

Knuckle Puck is a great band for anyone who likes shouty, angsty Pop Punk.

Beartooth, Every time I Die and Architects are all amazing bands to just get all of your anger out too.

Being as an Ocean is a a very deep, poetic and emotional melodic hardcore band that has a good amount of songs about love and heartbreak.

La Dispute has amazing writing and some songs are almost just spoken word with instrumentals behind it. (I've find a lot of people who are into Being As An Ocean and Brand New are also into La Dispute).

• Sputnik42Sputnik42 Posts: 2
    Sigur Ros. They are great band from Island, you can start with any album but my favourite is Ágætis byrjun. Don't be discouraged with not knowing language, I don't know it too and they are great. Also some songs are in non-literal language so you can give them your own meaning.