Think it's so easy? Then YOU cut the budget!

Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Politics & Current Events
I found this online simulator that allows you to try to hypothetically balance our budget. I was able to cut $2.7 trillion. Curious to see how fellow nerdfighters do. One things for sure, I don't envy the president at all:

by Lavache_Beadsman

Comments

• Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    I cut $2.6997 trillion and I thought it was pretty easy to make most of the decisions I did, but I made them without caring if people were going to like the decisions, more of what I thought made more sense to me. Like instead of giving money to the oil industry that is currently causing a lot of pollution, I raised taxes on it to reduce the amount of oil usage. Which will slow carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere and give the more money to be possibly spent to encourage the growth of renewable energy sources like wind or water energy. This was a really cool thing, and I enjoyed to do it. 
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    @Luke_Earl_Molle I also raised taxes on oil. For all the bitching americans do about how expensive gas is, they rarely realize it's insanely cheap in the States relative to what it costs in Europe and most other industrialized countries. 

Glad you enjoyed it though.
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I finished with about 5 trillion in debt.  I wished it was more comprehensive.  At times it felt like it was servicing pet issues and didn't do much to address some other major budget facets.
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    @Luke_Earl_Molle I also raised taxes on oil. For all the bitching americans do about how expensive gas is, they rarely realize it's insanely cheap in the States relative to what it costs in Europe and most other industrialized countries. 

Glad you enjoyed it though.
    Well if you make gas more expensive then it influences other renewable energy sources to be used, it gives people even more of a reason to switch to hybrid/electric cars. It makes renewable energy and emerging tech more cost effective than the things we are running out of or that are spewing greenhouse gasses out like crazy.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

@Luke_Earl_Molle I've always thought the government should tax oil at the rate most European countries do and use the revenue for infrastructure and public transit. Renewables are much needed, but the technology is still far from perfect and we need to make major changes in the way we get from place to place right now, as opposed to, say, 50-100 years from now.
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,883 ✭✭✭
    I'd change Federal Company Tax Rates to 30% starting at $0 across the board and try to organise some sort of uniform taxation code across the states. At the same time, I'd seriously look at the franking credit system and how that works.

I'd also change Personal Income Tax; eliminate joint filing (because that is one giant rort), and start shifting income tax rates based on 125% of Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings as based upon figures from the Department of Labor. 

Then I'd seriously look at eliminating every conceivable loophole which exists and change the nature of the tax code, such that if it's not mentioned in the tax code, then whatever it is, is still subject to the same rate as Personal and Company Tax.

If I were Grand Poohbah of America and could wave a magic wand, I'd also eliminate all private HMOs and move all hospitals into the control of the states and the payments system to the federal government. You should be able to impose a 2%-3% levy on Personal Income which should easily cover the entire health care system. Also, all healthcare would be free at the point of entry to the consumer - if you get sick, go to a hospital or doctor.
    This espcially won't happen in America because HMOs are evil and profit greatly from the sickness of the nation. 
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo