Thoughts on First Democratic Debate

Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
I made a thread for the first GOP debate, so I figured I should follow it up with one on the Democratic debate. Here are my impressions:

Hillary Clinton: She did well. I happen to have an extremely low opinion of her, but she's a good politician. She's articulate, she knows her audience, and, most importantly, she knows how to dodge a question. She hit all the issues her supporters wanted her to: paid leave, gun control, and the rest of it.

Bernie Sanders: Though he still has my vote, I feared going into the debate that he wouldn't do well. I've noticed that, while he can deliver a good speech, when he's asked to make off-the-cuff remarks, he doesn't do well. The moment when he was asked to respond to Jim Webb was cringe worthy. All of that noted, I thought he had some good moments. His closing statement especially comes to mind.

Jim Webb: I don't know what he's doing running as a democrat. He seems like he would make a good moderate Republican, but he's too right-of-center to go anywhere.

Chaffee: There's something odd about him I can't put my finger on. All of his policy is sensible enough, but I don't think he's going to rise in the polls anytime soon.

Martin O'Malley: I've been going to school in Maryland for the last three years, so I was already somewhat familiar with O'Malley. He strikes me as a genuine, articulate, and bright guy. He never slipped up during the debate, and he's accomplished a lot in his home state. I think he might have been the "winner" of the debate, to the extent that these things have winners.

Comments