Any esports fan here ?

AlmaAlma FrancePosts: 910 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Gaming
Fans, reunite ! (LoL, HotS, CS:GO, dota 2, sc2...)

League of Legends esports fan here (Fnatic all the way). Since there's the world championship going on right now, it'd be great to meet other people that follow the scene too, and other games as well !

by Alma

"Men have always been needed who would be bold enough to believe that history is not a dull and monotonous repetition, the same game played over and over again under different disiguises, but have had an invicible confidence that moral progress is a reality, that mankind is slowly climbing an invisible ladder to better things, leaving behind its bestiality and attaining to godliness"
 Stefan Zweig, Erasmus of Rotterdam

Comments

• gabrielsmithgabrielsmith Rio de Janeiro, BrazilPosts: 8
    I'm a huge fan of the MOBA e-sports scene. Recently I've been watching mostly Dota 2 matches, the teams are trying really hard to qualify for the majors, but once in a while I take a peek at Lol Worlds.
    Hey, nice to see another Fnatic fan! I like the organisation a lot, mostly due to the Dota 2 team (huge Mushi fanboy here), but the Lol and CSGO teams are also BEASTS.

Oh, and do you have any tips on how to follow the SC2 scene? I've been trying to watch some games but one, I don't know when there are matches happening (and where to watch them), and two, I don't know what the heck is happening. hahaha So... Anything you can tell me to help getting into Starcraft?
  • AlmaAlma FrancePosts: 910 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Oh finally someone that is into it as well ! I don't know about you, but personnally I know quite a lot of people who play those games, but almost no one that actually follows the esports scene.

I follow from time to time Dota 2, but since there seems to be some sort of qualifications going on right now, I'll go and take a look at it.

Yeah, it's nice ! The organisation as a whole is just fantastic, with so many talented players. The CS:GO is apparently miles ahead of everyone else, and the LOL one as well, but unfortunately we failed in semifinals last week, but it's still super great.

Hum I've searched a bit, and honestly the game looks quite difficult to really master, with so many things happening at the same time *--* But I think it's the same for those discovering LoL and Dota 2 ^^
    Well first of, for the tournaments, try the ESL channel on YouTube, they're the one organising the IEM, I don't know if you know about the tournament, but it's realy nice. Then, you have the team liquid website, with a coverage of the wcs, a a forum that apparently presents some guides, and a wikipedia of the game, so here's the link :

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/

If I find something else I'll keep you posted, and I'll ask some of my friends if they play it :)

by Alma

"Men have always been needed who would be bold enough to believe that history is not a dull and monotonous repetition, the same game played over and over again under different disiguises, but have had an invicible confidence that moral progress is a reality, that mankind is slowly climbing an invisible ladder to better things, leaving behind its bestiality and attaining to godliness"

Fnatic's Dota 2 team has also been getting it rough. Yesterday they disqualified on the Nanyang Championship after losing 2-0 against Digital Chaos. I'm just hoping they stick together and don't disband.

And thanks for the tips, already subscribed to ESL's channel and will take a look on some players profiles on the liquipedia. Also, I noticed that the ESL Starcraft 2 on Twitch keeps rerunning matches, so there's another thing to keep an eye on.
    I'm still on the lookout for some kind of guide on watching SC2 with no prior knowledge of the game (or RTS in general), but for now I guess I'll just have to enjoy the big explosions and epic battles even though I don't know what is happening onscreen. haha
    edited October 2015
    Seems like this hasn't been a good week for fnatic.... But the fnatic Dota 2 team is relatively new, right ? Well, it depends if they get better offers (and better salaries).

Oh you're welcome, I remember when I discovered LoL, and started watching tournaments, hearing the casters yelling when there was a big play, and I would just watch my screen, having absolutely no idea what the heck was happening, and especially where I had to look.

Hum well I searched also for that, and came up with a few guides that appear to be quite....dense, to say the least. It's a shame, because the best ones, that were clear and accessible, were French ^^.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/portals.php?show=index&name=starcraft-2-beginners-guide-2

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/200836-beginners-guide-to-multiplayer-starcraft-2

So here you go, all I can say is good luck, I hope that all of these explosions and battles will start making sense to you :)

by Alma

Fnatic had a big roster change after a disappointing TI5. Before the roster change it was an all-Malaysian team formed by the legendary mid laner Mushi, some experienced players and a pubstar. That team was a big promise, they showed some amazing performances against big teams; their first match on TI5 group stages was against Team Secret, the favorite team to win The International, and they went even with them, but after that Fnatic started losing more than winning and they were disqualified.
    Now they maintained the mid laner and captain Mushi and one of the support players, Ohaiyo, and grabbed some very experienced players; most importantly Black^, who has played at every major region during his career.

As I said before, I just hope they stick together and figure out their play style because this team has a lot of potential and I want to see Mushi back to his old form.

And I'll check out these guides you posted. Thanks.
    Oh ok, thanks for the precision, for the LoL team, well the team was entirely rebuilt, the captain Yellowstar being the only one remaining, and it went pretty well for them, as they went to the world championship being undefeated during the LCS summer split.

Well I hope they don't, as well as the fnatic team, because they have just a huge potential.

You're welcome, good luck.

I heard about that invincible run on the LCS summer split. Pretty impressive stuff. I remeber that before that split I thought little of YellowStar; I didn't (and still don't) think he is as good as his teammates (mechanically), but he showed us that he is indeed an AMAZING captain and shotcaller. Mad respect for him.

Also, I checked the guides you posted and they're really good, but... they're aimed at someone who wants to play, not spectate. Unfortunately my graphics card is broken and I can't play the game, so I'll have to learn by watching, but I did my own search and found this guide on how to spectate SC2:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=19923

It explains in a really basic level the core of the game and helped me understand a little bit more of what's happening in a competitive match. I still don't know what each unit does and the strategy behind the players actions, but it did make me feel not so lost.
    Yeah, they were pretty much rolling over everyone at that time.
    Well, he is one of the pro players I respect the most as well, the dude went to all the championships, and his ability in shotcalling is what makes this team so good.
    After, in terms of mechanics, he really had a good showing during the LCs and the playoffs, and he is a veteran. We also tend to forget that shotcalling can alterate a bit your performance (ok, maybe I'm a little biased due to my patriotic fellings right now ^^)

Oh ok, well it's good that you found something else, try on YouTube as well, there has to be some sort of tutorial.
    It was the same for me when I discovered LoL, except that there are tons of simple tutorials, contrary to Sc2.

One day until the finals!
    I think SKT will win the tournament undefeated. Even though KOO Tigers has shown that they are really good, after defeating KT Rolster and Fnatic, I still think each player in the SKT roster is better than their counterpart on KOO. They're simply in another level of play,

What do you think? Can KOO Tigers make SKT drop some games?
    Yaaay so excited ! :D (even if it's a Kr vs Kr final)

Hum that's a not so bold statement you made there, given that SKT is indeed looking invicible ^^
    BUT, I think that the only way for KOO to take 1 game (I don't think they can take 2 games out of SKT, you can trust SKT for not repeating their mistakes) is to put Smeb on a very favorable matchup in the top lane, let him eventually crush Marin, and hope that the gap in the mid lane is not that wide. KOO is known for being able to capitalize on every mistake of the enemy team, but now they're facing SKT, so  we'll see.

So in the end, I think a 3:1 for SKT, if I were to be optimistic :p

Yeah... A Korean vs Korean final is kind of a let down, giving those CRAZY group stages.

And I agree with you that if we are (very) optmistic, maybe it ends as 3-1 in favor of SKT. But even if it ends a 3-0, I just hope the matches are close, exciting ones; because stomps would be really depressing for the public (and for KOO Tigers).
    Yes, those 2 weeks of group stages were just insaane, I was especially scared for fnatic, but they managed to go 3:0 in the seoncd week. I think that if China didn't crumble as hard as it did, then it would have been a totally different worlds.
    I've also been impressed by the LMS teams.
    But NA... 0:10 the dream :}

I think that it's either super close game 1, and then stomps by SKT the next matches, or just a complete stomp :/
    Hum I think that KOO shouldn't be too depressed about their (eventual) loss, because let's remember that Reignover and Smeb were considered complete jokes 2 years ago on IM, with Reignover being called Gameover.

After this final, I can't wait to see the All Stars and IEM San Jose, that's gonna be interesting ^^

Worlds is over! SKT is the champion and the first team to win two World Championships!

These matches were super crazy. In the two first, SKT started from behind due to some early mistakes, but they managed to comeback with their amazing shotcalling on the mid-to-late game. Then, that third game happened. SKT was completely destroyed in the early game and even though they managed to get some good fights, Smeb was simply too huge to deal with. But luckily, in the fourth and final game, after baning Smeb's Fiora, SKT came back to their senses and just dominated the game from start to finish.

Unfortunately the invictus dream didn't happen, but either way it was an amazing series. Both KOO and SKT deserve cheers.

So, congrats to SKT for winning the Championship and for being the first team to win two Worlds. Also, congrats for Bengi and Faker, they are also the first players to win two Worlds. They really deserved it.
    edited October 2015
    You just made a perfect sum up of this series, nothing to add except the Faker tumble, that made reddit go crazy : vayne skin incoming guys.

I'm glad for KOO that they were able to make the gods bleed at least once :p

But however, there's a sort of cures in the LoL esports scene : every team that wins the worlds championship, has always failed to qualified the year after....Will they put here as well an upset ?

Yep, but Marin was just a beast, that was just phenomenal...

Now I'm so excited for the All Stars and IEM !
    by Alma

Holly Molly... And the surprises don't stop coming...

Doublelift is now on TSM! OMG! I don't know what to expect anymore. WHAT IS HAPPENING?
    edited November 2015
    WHAT THE HELL

Holy moly, offseason is definitely the best season :D

But CLG.... why u do dis ? At least you can't say they aren't faithful with their name, because to me releasing DL just doesn't make any sense....><

If the rumours are true, then TSM is building a hell of a line-up :

Top :?
    Jungle : ? (maybe Rush)
    Mid : Bjergsen
    ADC : DL
    Support : Adrian

Now THIS would seem like a worlds-contender team, if they can build a solid synergy between the players.
    by Alma

• clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, been following CSGO for about a year and LOL since Season 2 (CLG.EU for life).

And yeah, I love the post-worlds offseason. No one is safe. Honestly for NA's sake I hope Rush goes to C9. I think Incarnation/Sneaky > Bjergsen/DL, honestly. But it's hard to say without knowing TSM's top laner.

I'm really curious what's gonna happen to Fnatic as well. Maybe other teams can figure out how to beat them or maybe they can keep adapting. It'll be really interesting to see, especially considering all the changes coming up.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
    Hey there,nice to see an other fan ^^

The good old nostalagia, but I would tend to prefer M5 at that time.

Yes, everytime I pass on reddit, there has to be at least 3 posts regarding roster changes.
    Hm maybe tsm, with the super team they seem to be building ? Because I think that C9 without Hai will have a lot of trouble replacing is shotcalling.
    I'm not so sure about that, I prefer to wait and see the synergy between bjerg and DL.

I REALLY hope that Fnatic is going to keep the roster intact, this is a team that has so much potential, with Febiven being a beast, and Huni having these amazing mechanics (just has to contain the tilt, sOAZ legacy I think). The contract of huni, reignover and febiven end next week, I'll just cross my fingers.
    They clearly said that they are trying as many strategies as possible, so that other teams can't really prepare against them. That and the champion pools of the players.
    Also, there are rumors that forg1ven may go to roccat, it would be awesome if cabochard joined too.

So yes, exciting 2016 spring split we have here. (And with IEM San Jose and All Stars in a few months)

Everyone prefers M5, but I remain in the plucky minority. :P

And I can't imagine Fnatic will change. They're on top with no signs of slowing down and they're one of the biggest and richest esports orgs in the world. They'd have to be crazy to let anyone go. Unless Huni wants to go back to Korea I guess. That seems to be a common theme for the Koreans in China at least.

I do hope the Roccat thing goes through. There is so much talent in EU that isn't being used properly, they need to just shuffle it around until they find combos that work.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
    Well it cannot be denied that they were super strong in those days. (RIP Elements, the "super team" of Europe)

I'm affraid that Huni and/or Reignover might want to come back to Korea, but when you look at the top teams, there aren't many who would be an upgrade to fnatic : SKT, KT, and KOO all have a very good toplaner
    But I think that this offseason we're going to see a reverse Korean exodus actually, by seeing how hard China crashed and burnt at Worlds.

Yes it would be so cool, Europe this year has all the players, the organizations, to show up big at international tournaments, and especially at Worlds next year.

Wow, dat TSM/H2K drama. They're like a pair of bratty 13 year olds. Aren't these supposed to be profesional buisness people? I didn't think the offseason was gonna top Doublelift to TSM, but man has it delivered
    Yep, Reddit is already on the case, taking care of the new memes. Seems like Reginald found a new HotshotGG for the drama. But just : why Sven ? Ok for the Shotcall that TSM desperately needs, but attitude-wise... ?

But as you said, this whole situation highlights the fact that the (LoL) esports scene is still relatively new, and compared to the sports scene, seems kind of immature, where owners of organizations are just throwing "proofs" at each twitlonger they write...

But not gonna complain again, offseason best season, and IEM is approaching, with China looking to prove that they were just sandbagging Worlds (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well.....Yellowstar to TSM. Did not see that coming
    Me neither :(

But that offseason though...Drama fully stacked this year, like TSM right now.
    I really hope Fnatic can recover from this, Yellowstar was the pillar of theam, his shotcalling was great.
    But hey, at least we still have Rekkles, Deilor and Febi.

Apparently, Gamsu and SPIRIT would be heading to Fnatic...Trying really hard not to activate my inner fangirl mode ^^"