Favourite TFioS quotes!

I'm rereading TFioS, and stumbled upon this gem of a quote I had forgotten about:

"To be fair to Monica," I said, "what you did to her wasn't very nice either."
"What'd I do to her?" he asked, defensive.
"You know, going blind and everything."
"But that's not my fault," Isaac said.
"I'm not saying it was your fault. I'm saying it wasn't nice."

So share your favourites! Deep, meaningful quotes and trivial wittinesses accepted alike.
Inn á við held ég
Viðarglætur birta bál
Einn með mér sjálfum 
Anda inn anda frá

Comments

• CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    "You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!"

"Defeatism isn't honest. I refuse to accept that"
    "I thought being an adult meant knowing what you believe but that has not been my experience"

"talking to them felt like stabbing and being stabbed"

... I could go on 
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    The enormous paragraph about the 'great and terrible ten' broke my heart when I first read it...

Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

• misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I don't have the exact quotes, but these are my favorite funny parts:

Isaac being sarcastic with his nurse regarding his blindness
    Hazel telling her lungs to keep their PIZZZAA together
    Isaac telling his video game to hump the wall

(you can tell I'm VERY mature)

“When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

AIM: Misingnoglic
  • "Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn't going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me!"
  • “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”

• misingnoglicmisingnoglic Posts: 36 ✭✭
    @recreatekate that's the one, thanks =P

“When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

AIM: Misingnoglic
  • JuliaConfabsJuliaConfabs Posts: 37 ✭✭
    "Hazel Grace, you sure know how to shut me up" "It is my privilege and my responsibility." 
    there's a nerdfighter for that: I can help with engineering & calculus topics, casual greek mythology, & anything Great Gatsby
  • TheBBearTheBBear Posts: 50 ✭✭
    "I hardly know you, Augustus Waters. You could be an ax murderer"
    "Oh, what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket." ~ Sherlock Holmes (BBC) A Study in Pink

my tumblr ~ nerd-life-is-better.tumblr.com  it's full of fun multifandom things
  • Captain_MustardCaptain_Mustard Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Oscarsanderson: That entire passage is utter feels.
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • I know I know, It's in my signature, but when Augustus and Hazel are playing video games he says "Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon." Ah I just love it so much!
    "Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon." -The Fault in Our Stars
  • ConstellationsConstellations South CarolinaPosts: 1,709 ✭✭✭
    As in my signature:

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt." - Augustus Waters
    "You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect."
    "I was thinking about the word 'handle,' and all the unholdable things that get handled."
  • ConstellationsConstellations South CarolinaPosts: 1,709 ✭✭✭
    @Catherine That quote about being an adult, I don't remember but that is a very good one.
    "You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect."
    "I was thinking about the word 'handle,' and all the unholdable things that get handled."
    @constellations
    Hazel's dad says it when she's asking him what he believes if he doesn't believe in defeatism. A few pages later he comes up with "The universe wants to be noticed"
  • devonleadevonlea Posts: 12
    "our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon"
  • "I could remember it. But I couldn’t see it again, and it occurred to me that the voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because there is always the thought that everything might be done better and again."

• Captain_MustardCaptain_Mustard Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @randomradiation: Ah yes, I love that part! Also, the sentences that follow: "And then, having made my rhetorical point, I will put my robot eyes on, because I mean, with robot eyes you can probably see through girls' shirts and stuff. Augustus, my friend, Godspeed."
    by Captain_Mustard
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • JuliaConfabsJuliaConfabs Posts: 37 ✭✭
    @randomradiation I was just a hot mess for that entire passage. Like, I start off cracking up because Isaac is so funny and then he pulls that stuff and I'm sobbing. And then I'm sobbing through Hazel's. And then I think something happened a page later that had me cracking up again. I was a wreck. 
    there's a nerdfighter for that: I can help with engineering & calculus topics, casual greek mythology, & anything Great Gatsby
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @JuliaConfabs YES OMG. That's exactly what I did! "self-aggrandizing bastard" <3
    by randomradiation
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • "What a slut time is. She screws everybody."-Van Houten
     I was reading that letter in class and I couldn't stop laughing. It was just so out of place
  • fishypersonfishyperson Posts: 1
    "Qualities of a Good Nurse: Go." and the whole conversation on this between Hazel and Isaac.
  • RedInsigniaRedInsignia Posts: 3
    "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up"

• SharpCookiesSharpCookies Posts: 31
    edited November 2012
    Gus, swallowing a bite: "You know, the primary taste I'm getting is not-Oranjee."
    Me: "Good observation, Gus. This food, while delicious, does not taste like Oranjee."
    My mom: "Hazel."
    Gus: "It tastes like..."
    Me: "Food."
    Gus: "Yes, precisely. It tastes like food, excellently prepared. But it does not taste, how do I put this delicately...?"
    Me: "It does not taste like God Himself cooked heaven into a series of five dishes which were then served to you accompanied by several luminous balls of fermented, bubbly plasma while actual and literal flower petals floated down all-around your canal-side  dinner table."
    Gus: "Nicely phrased."
    Gus's father: "Our children are weird."
    My dad: "Nicely phrased."

This part was so hilarious to me I just could not.

Edit: whoops, didn't notice someone posting the exact same quote above me. But that means we have simmilar tastes then! :p
    Another quote I love:

"I'm in love with you," he said quietly.
    "Augustus," I said.
    "I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the buisness of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

I just love how to Augustus his love for Hazel is as definite as death. 
    by SharpCookies
  • NoobNinjaNoobNinja Posts: 1
    My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations. <3
  • "You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I am grateful."

Oh dear goodness, there are tears in my eyes just reading this and typing this. </3. 
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."  
    @randomradiation

I also love the continuation of that quote when Gus's dad says "That's enough" and then whispers to Hazel "I thank God for you every day, kid"
    In general, Hazel's persistent efforts to combat the way everyone was treating Gus while he was dying were great.
    Like I loved "What's up Augustus?" I said, trying to model appropriate behavior.
  • ClydeNutClydeNut Posts: 9
    @RedInsignia I'm probably getting that one tattooed on my arm at some point :)
  • LinneamLinneam Stereotypical Small Town, USAPosts: 91 ✭✭
    Oh, gosh. These are making me feel so many feels. You guys hit on most of my favorites! But...

"You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it."

"Love is keeping the promise anyway."

And of course, 
    "I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up," 
    which I have begun to say in real life.

This entire book made me a passenger on the hot mess express, though. I love it so much, but the things it does to my heart... Utterly heartrending and beautiful and funny and... Everything. This book is everything in one convenient book sleeve.
     It’s like something inside of me needs to show the world this combination of words and letters and syllables that have never all been strung together in quite the same way before simply because I am the person who was able to string them together to look just like that.
    word nerd.