And I'm tearing up from reading this thread </3
    "That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt' - John Green

'Dude! No edge!!' - Hank Green
  • MyrtoMyrto Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Urgh there are so many!!! My favorite favorites are:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly and then all at once"

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations"

"I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up."

And when Augustus tells Hazel he loves her and his letter and every poem-quote and An Imperial Affliction quotes like "The sun too bright in her loosing eyes." 

• Ravenclaw25Ravenclaw25 Posts: 12
    "I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once". One of my favourite quotes of all time.
    "I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once"
  • JunePollardJunePollard Posts: 23
    'Sometimes it seems the universe wants to be noticed.’  

That’s what I believe. I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it - or my observation of it - is temporary?

I just love that. It's a miracle that we exist at all, and I say that from a nontheistic perspective. The fact that we can use our consciousness to discover patterns and truths when we look closely at the universe is unbelievably exciting and beautiful to me. Of course, if you look close enough, a lot of those patterns fall apart because we're missing pieces, but I think that's part of the reward, too. It's like a scavenger hunt. Things come together just enough to keep us curious and hungry to learn more.

This quote reminds me of a Carl Sagan quote that I adore: "Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."

I also think this quote echoes the book itself quite nicely, since TFiOS certainly rewards us for reading intelligently!
  • Captain_MustardCaptain_Mustard Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @JunePollard: I like that part too, or at least I mostly do. It depends on how nihilistic a mood I am in. The difference between TFioS and the universe is that while I am sure that the book is intellectually written, I haven't quite decided if I am sure about the Universe. :)
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • JunePollardJunePollard Posts: 23
    @Captain_Mustard I'm not sure, either. I don't think I'd ascribe the same sort of awareness to the universe that Hazel's dad does. I don't think I believe that the universe "wants" anything, but it sure seems that way sometimes. The thing is, I don't think that it makes much difference whether the universe itself has consciousness or not. 

I know it seems sort of central to that quote, but I think that even if our consciousness is only the result of random atoms crashing into one another, we have a sort of cosmic obligation to take advantage of it. After all, if consciousness is the product of some other conscious being, universe or deity or whatever, then it's likely that they're happy to do this many times over. If this is just random, then this kind of consciousness may only exist here and now(ish). Shouldn't we do everything we can to explore what that means while we can?
  • BethanyMarieBethanyMarie Posts: 40
    I'm actually using a TFiOS quote as my senior quote for school!

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."

Such a vivid and beautiful image!! <3
    @JunePollard: Yes. Yes, you're right, we should :D If not because of an obligation because it is interesting and fulfilling.

The way you put it is kind of interesting, too. 
    ...even if our consciousness is only the result of random atoms crashing into one another...
    While Hazels dad says the universe is improbably biased toward consciousness, I think it's biased toward, like, existence, as well. I heard that if the energy required to excite a hydrogen atom(or something like that, I don't remember the details) were just slightly higher, fusion would never happen, and we wouldn't have any stars. Without stars, we wouldn't have any heavy elements, and there wouldn't be much interesting at all going in the universe. So really, even if our consciousness is just atoms randomly bumping into one another, the universe is extremely improbably biased toward that, too! :D
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • JustinSwanJustinSwan Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    When Isaac gives his first version of his eulogy. Especially when Augustus suggests he omits a line or two (I don't remember exactly what), and Isaac laughs and sobs and says "Damn it, Augustus. Editing your own eulogy.", or something to that effect. OH, THE FEELS.
    “But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.” 
    ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
  • BananaBatBananaBat Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've only read it once so far, and that was several months ago, but the quote that still resonates with me is:

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”

Who cares about normal? Remember the talking monkeys...
  • MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    My favorite is definitely, "I am not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things."

I mean, honestly guys, it captured me and sort of became my current mantra for life. Just that one line amidst the entire paragraph that Augustus said. But I'll be honest, I paused before I read that part and also read it thrice before moving on with the story. 

But lets be honest, how can we pick just one amazing quote? TFiOS has so many great ones--thus, the posters (of which there should be more of)!
    Always the tone of surprise.

• amandafinlawamandafinlaw Posts: 49
    You guys, these quotes are giving me all the feels, and now I think I need to re-read the book.
  • lessthanbutterflieslessthanbutterflies Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    "I like my choices and I hope she likes hers." 
    I do Augustus. I do. 

Oh Jesus the feels like I can't...I rushed so badly through the book when I first read it because I just wanted to finish it so badly then I got to that last line and just.  Hit that wall.  That wall when you finish a book that you think could change you and then it's over and all you can do is sit in your silence and breathe a little hard and wait for something else to happen. 
    For me that's when the tears came :P 
    Let me learn from where I have been
  • thenerdkileythenerdkiley Posts: 38
    The ENTIRE FREAKING BOOK is my favorite quote.
    Enough said.

TTFN & DFTBA. ♥

• fall7standup8fall7standup8 Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    Aside from the ones mentioned, I also quite love:

Isaac shot me a look. "Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway. Don't you believe in true love?"

I didn't answer. I didn't have an answer. But I thought that if true love did exist, that was a pretty good definition of it.
    by fall7standup8
  • KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    "Some infinites are bigger than other infinites"

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations"

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
    "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up"
    I've used that one a couple of times myself on a really bad day. I think it's just perfect. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

@Vicki, I really like your sig quote as well :D Gotta rewatch that. I understand why it took her so long to finish.
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • seaurchinseaurchin MNPosts: 15
    "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." is my favorite. 
  • madison246madison246 Posts: 11
    "The marks people leave are too often scars"
    "You are so busy being you you don't know how utterly unprecedented you are"
    "Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like betrayal."
  • mrsscraigmrsscraig Buenos Aires, Argentina.Posts: 15
    You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you dont have some say in who hurts you.
    That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt.
  • coolcat3699coolcat3699 Sydenham, LondonPosts: 144 ✭✭
    my thoughts are stars that you cannot fathom into constellations
  • MrsWho42MrsWho42 The great state of Denial.Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

“Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.'
    'Seventeen,' Gus corrected.
    'I'm assuming you've got some time, you interupting bastard.
    'I'm telling you,' Isaac continued, 'Augustus Waters talked so much that he'd interupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious, Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production. And he was vain; I do not believe I have ever met a more physically attractive person who was more acutely aware of his own physical attractiveness.
    'But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."

That quote is one of my favourites in the book, though the whole book is like one amazing quote.  This quote kills me a little more everytime I read it. Ugh, the feels. <3 Beautiful.

"To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts."

• SamTillsSamTills Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    "Okay,” he said after forever. “Maybe okay will be our always.”
 “Okay,” I said.

I loved this on my first read, and on every read after it tore me apart. I like to think of "always" and "okay" as the little lies they tell eachother because it makes them feel better, but it occurs to me that when Augustus said this he was actually hopeful that it was true.

He didn't know he was sick at this point, and Hazel seemed to be stable. Then again, maybe he suspected.

Edit: 

Because I just saw this one above and realised that it is the equal to what I originally posted:

"I thank god for you every day kid".

Augustus' Dad says that to Hazel during the last good day before the last good day and it is a special sort of powerful. Throughout the book Augustus wants to do something heroic, live in a way that had a huge effect on other people and this passage implies that he already did. Augustus had a similar role to Hazel before Caroline Mathers died, and from the comments Hazel sees on Caroline's social network page it seems that Caroline's parents were just as grateful for Augustus as his parents were for Hazel.
    by SamTills
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    There's so many good ones. The prose in Fault is the best I've seen in a YA novel, excepting perhaps Catcher In The Rye. One of my favorite lines has to be this one:

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."
  • ellenpinkyellenpinky Posts: 2
    "'You know how I know you're a fighter? You called a ten a nine.' But that wasn't quite right. I called it a nine because I was saving my ten." 
    The Fault In Our Stars, page 263

This quote touched me so personally. Just like Hazel, I save my tens on the pain scale. Reading this made me create an even deeper connection with the book. I am amazed at how John captured this feeling even though he was never a hospital kid himself. 
  • iamvincentliuiamvincentliu Posts: 11
    Some of my favorite quotes have been quoted already, but I'm surprised no one mentioned “I lit up like a Christmas tree”. John Green basically compared one of the best things in the world, to one of the worst.

> ∞

• devilskinndevilskinn Cluj-Napoca, RomaniaPosts: 15
    ‘You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world… but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.’ - I cried like a baby when I read this. The entire epilogue is exquisite!
  • kkrocks0607kkrocks0607 Posts: 6
    "The world is not a wish granting factory"

Love this quote because it's totally true.  Like if you want something done you gotta work for it!